Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Locking doors or leaving them unlocked can be traits learned from growing up.

Culture plays a role as well as environment and access to vehicles - on some farms in my area the farmers leave the keys in the tractors. They don't have time to be going back to the farmhouse to search for this key or that key.

I have always locked my vehicles and home because I learned that from my parents. It's not about the value of what's inside - it's about being surprised by someone.

Just my opinion.

I haven't posted in a long time, but this case is all over the news. It has caught my attention and I have been following it closely. I think that it was likely someone local and who was watching her. Perhaps someone she knew. I just don't see someone from out of town driving through this tiny town and doing this. But not impossible.

After reading this and other stories I can't fathom leaving my doors unlocked while sleeping even in a remote area like this. How in the world could you sleep restfully knowing that someone could walk right into your house and do whatever they want. Not even 50 years ago would I do this. Where I live you lock every door and window.

Re BBM
Yes it has blown up nationwide news. For those of us that have followed from the very beginning some of us may not realize how much this has blown up in a national news way. People really did an amazing job getting the word out and getting the posters out to tons of places. Now the news of this case is truly national and its making the major news sites almost daily.

This kind of tells me that LE must be thinking she really was taken by a perp because if they had any inside information that she left on her own then I would hope they would not let it blow up all over the nation like it has without saying something about that.

In response to the earlier question what would cause a person to take their phone but nothing else— a lot of things. If I’m texting with someone or calling them or talking to them of course I’ll always have my phone. However I also use it as a flashlight. And a speaker if I’m streaming music. I have to wear corrective lenses or glasses to see anything—similar to Molly – I still use my phone without my lenses on. I just make everything extremely huge so I can see it. Speculating here but maybe she heard something in the early morning hours and went To see what it was using her phone as a flashlight. Or maybe she was in the middle of texting or snap chatting someone?
For me, her having her phone on her makes it more likely that she was taken while she was outside. If you're inside, you generally don't keep your phone in your pocket. If she was caught off guard while she was inside, it would take incredible presence of mind for her to take her phone with her (in the fear of the moment). Of course she might have known the perpetrator, and initially gone outside willingly.

Possibly. Or so lE thinks or they got a tip...hard to tell.

In Lucas’ case we saw searchers return to the same location more than once. (Chisholm Creek Park). He was just north of the here, iirc. We found out later the returned searches at CP were based on a tip, right?

We also remember on A and L’s case the return to search RL’s property (another can of worms)...do maybe just covering their bases idk...

BBM: Right. :(

In response to the earlier question what would cause a person to take their phone but nothing else— a lot of things. If I’m texting with someone or calling them or talking to them of course I’ll always have my phone. However I also use it as a flashlight. And a speaker if I’m streaming music. I have to wear corrective lenses or glasses to see anything—similar to Molly – I still use my phone without my lenses on. I just make everything extremely huge so I can see it. Speculating here but maybe she heard something in the early morning hours and went To see what it was using her phone as a flashlight. Or maybe she was in the middle of texting or snap chatting someone?

That's a good point about using the phone as a flashlight, which I do all the time.

Also, a good point about her being interrupted while she was already on the phone. As a perfect real life example, I was texting with my husband last night when a neighbor knocked on my door. The phone was already in my hand and I went out to my front porch to talk to them (I am on my HOA board and neighbors routinely have to bring me their dues, so it is really common to have them stop by). Still had my phone on me but literally nothing else as I just stepped out for a minute, you know?

I never lock my doors . In fact my car key was lost in my car for 7 months. Anyone could have gotten in the car and driven away with it.
I never lock my house and I leave my garage doors open. I have a few dogs but they are dogs of leisure more than guard dogs.

I have taken a very long break from Webseluths after following some intense cases for a number of years. This story of this young lady's disappearance has reeled me back in. Prayers for her and her loved ones....
Good to hear from you, shefner, even in this dire situation. It's good to have you with us -- we can use your thoughts and hopes in this one.

Hm so maybe a young person or people drove by looking to pick up a girl? Or maybe not premeditated at all. Just trying to think what the intention for being near her house or jogging path could have been, if a stranger did this
Pig farms could have entered swine into the fair that was going on at the fairgrounds when Mollie went missing (that night was the night animals were being brought to the fair)

Yes, I think we are a breed unto ourselves. Lol
No douuuubt. Most people in my circle “in real life” just don’t get it. I’ve tried to have discussions with them, never works out. Moo. Al though I know many of you here have great DHs who contribute, like the fabulous Mr Pink!

Btw this IS real life. Mollie is real, her family is real, you know what I mean.

For me, her having her phone on her makes it more likely that she was taken while she was outside. If you're inside, you generally don't keep your phone in your pocket. If she was caught off guard while she was inside, it would take incredible presence of mind for her to take her phone with her (in the fear of the moment). Of course she might have known the perpetrator, and initially gone outside willingly.

I do when I am getting makeup on or doing my hair-I put it in my pocket

Yes, you're right -- LE could claim exigent circumstances -- it would probably fly. This is certainly an exigent situation.
I don't know what to hope for here other than for her to still be alive.
How is this thing going to end?

Good question. I don't know. It doesn't look good. There is still a good chance that she is alive, but the investigators seem to have no leads and no idea how to proceed. Other than to have frequent press conferences and hope the public can help them solve the case.

I also struggle to understand not locking your doors. We live in a smaller city...about 25,000 in the city limits....but my neighborhood has no history of any crime at all. Yet I am always alert and watching slow cars and different people walking on our road. I guess its my history on WS that makes me suspicious.

Iowa perspective on locking doors:
My husband was born and raised in Iowa with four generations all living in the same small town. He walks into his relatives houses unannounced and yells for them. They usually respond with, “We’re in the kitchen,” or “basement,” or “Come upstairs.” He has relatives in their 60’s, 70’s, 80’s who have lived in this town all of their life and they have never locked their home, not even when they go on vacation because family will come and go if they need to water plants, borrow something, grab a snack. It’s weird to me, and I lock everything at all times, but this is the farming culture here. Everyone is family and doors are always open.

My first post, so I hope I am doing this right.

I just saw this on KCRG-TV 9. "A KCRG-TV9 crew found a large police presence this afternoon in Poweshiek County. Property owners nearby say it is related to the search for Mollie Tibbetts."

Property owners: Police presence in Poweshiek County related to search for Mollie Tibbetts

I hope they are finding clues that lead them to Mollie and she is alive...
You did great!

Welcome to Webseuths, Captain_Curious!

That's assuming she was wearing bottoms with pockets. My pajamas, skirts, dresses and yoga pants don't have any pockets. From reports, we are assuming she returned to the house after her run, maybe she showered and changed into her pajamas? What does she normally sleep in? Bra and underwear? Sleep gown? In the nude? Her boyfriend or close friends would know the answer. Where are her pajamas? Did she wear them or change out of them the night/morning she went missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89