Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, FBI is probably directing LE to play dumb or allude to the fact that they don’t have much information or evidence as to what happened, if the perp is a psychopath with “all-mighty superior intelligence” and feels as though they’ve outsmarted everyone and they may become comfortable and slip. Also, leaks could be misinformation strategically placed out there to cause a person respjnsibel

I was still catching up when WS went down and haven't listened to the presser as it :01am here in Oz and waaay past bedtime. Apologies if the following is old news.

There has been an unconfirmed sighting of Mollie in Kearney, Missouri. Kearny police responded on July 26 at a truck stop in the area, police told ABC News affiliate KMBC. The location is more than 230 miles away from where Tibbetts was last seen.

Officers conducted a search of the area, spoke with witnesses and reviewed any potential surveillance video. A report was sent to the investigative task force regarding the sighting, Sgt. Joe Kantola told KMBC. No other additional details of the sighting were released.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-iowa-jogger-possibly-sighted-missouri/story?id=56980263

“Officers conducted a thorough search, spoke with all possible witnesses and reviewed all available footage,” Kantola said in a statement. It is unclear whether the search turned up anything fruitful leading to the discovery of Tibbetts.

Several KCCI viewers sent screenshots of a Facebook post saying there was a possible sighting of Tibbetts and that she “might have been drugged, looked disoriented and was with a truck driver.”

https://www.kcci.com/article/immigrant-s-creation-represents-louisville-company-at-white-house-s-made-in-america-showcase/22620101

Police were responding to a Facebook post in Omaha, Nebraska that has circulated on social media. The post referred to a truck stop which police said is at Interstate 35 and Missouri Highway 92 in Kearney.

Sgt. Kantola also said only one person at the truck stop claims to have seen an individual who, according to the person, resembled Mollie.

http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Kearney-MO-Police-investigate-reported-sighting-of-Mollie-Tibbetts-489814441.html

The man who lives by the pig farm and has 2 priors for stalking. I'm not pointing fingers at him because those were a long time ago and we don't know the circumstances. It could have been someone that he thought was cheating on him....who knows.
My question is, do people usually know when they are going to be interviewed by a reporter and on TV? This looked like an impromptu interview to me. He was nervous and unkempt. Personally, I wouldn't allow myself to be interviewed in a big case like this, unless it was my loved one at stake. Plus couldn't he or anyone refuse the reporter? He might not have known that though.
My gosh what a terrible position to be put in, innocent or guilty!
My guess is that it depends how aggressive the reporter is. Maybe the reporter just showed up on the guys doorstep and put a mike in the guys face and he didn't know what to do? Reporter behaviour runs the spectrum from responsible to irresponsible as it relates to chasing down leads IMO. Some reporters are respectful and others not at all to the point of harrassment pure and simple. I'm not sure this guy did himself any favours by speaking to the press in the way he did though.

On the topic of reporting in general for this case, I'm curious if anyone local to the story has a sense if there are any true investigative reporters (tv/cable or print media) in Iowa? I know this might be a strange question, but I've found the local reporting on the whole to be reactive and weak (with a couple of exceptions). I know the media/journalism world has changed over the years but I wonder how much of an investment local media is putting into trying to get in front of the story rather than the passive role they seem to be playing? Just curious as I have no knowledge of Iowa and its local media.

Fox News did these interviews on Wednesday. Several new (to me) videos are included.

Mollie’s boyfriend Dalton

“It’s Brooklyn. You don’t lock your doors”. “We lock our doors now. Every night.”

He said he thinks the home's doors were left unlocked around the time of Mollie's disappearance. “It’s more than likely because you know, nobody ever thought there was a reason to”. “Again, it’s Brooklyn. Nothing ever happens in Brooklyn. That’s why it’s such a blindsided situation.”

The last time he saw Mollie was on July 17, and he kissed her goodbye. "I left for Dubuque, Iowa, which is about 100 miles away, on Tuesday morning at 5 in the morning," he said. "And I was staying there for work until what was supposed to be Friday. And then Thursday, after we found out she was missing, I drove home. So I was in Dubuque the entire time."

“I mean everybody has their own theories but I’m just kind of leaving it up to the law enforcement trying to figure that one out". "I don’t want to go racking it through my brain thinking of what happened, what happened, what happened. Just driving myself insane."

Fox also interviewed Mollie’s brother, Jake.

“As far as what we think happened, we are really not sure." “We know she is fighting as hard as anyone to get back home”. “It’s a process and we wish it wasn’t so long, but good things take time, and getting her home will be a really good thing.”

He expects Mollie to resurface. “We have full faith in the authorities, that they are going to do the best job they can," he said. "They have been brought in for a reason, because they are the best at what they do. We have a lot of faith in them.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/01/mollie-tibbetts-dad-urges-any-witness-to-come-forward-says-somebody-knows-something.html

Looks like they just knocked on his door and asked him and he agreed. Probably not wise.

Reporter probably said "If you don't want to talk, we'll run a story about how you are a stalker and the police questioned you, and find a photo of you that makes you look guilty of something. That or talk to us now. Hope nobody in the town decides that they're going to play bad cop."

The pig farm must have sounded very promising. The house appears to have been the main target of the search.

A pig farmer said seven [out of 15] FBI investigators arrived at his home last Friday and asked to search it without a warrant. They were there for nearly two hours, taking photos of the interior of the home and also searching his garage. He said investigators then asked to interview him off the property and kept his cell phone overnight to check his records. The farmer has not been charged with a crime and said he “has nothing to hide.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/01/mollie-tibbets-disappearance-total-shock-iowa-residents-say.html

This was the first lead, that we’re aware of, that appeared to have ignited some real interest. We’re yet to hear further about the truck stop where someone saw a person resembling Mollie.

In my opinion, FBI is probably directing LE to play dumb or allude to the fact that they don’t have much information or evidence as to what happened, if the perp is a psychopath with “all-mighty superior intelligence” and feels as though they’ve outsmarted everyone and they may become comfortable and slip. Also, leaks could be misinformation strategically placed out there to cause a person respjnsibel

Agree with you and would add that the unrelenting focus from the family and community would drive an accidental murderer insane with paranoia while LE observes reactions.

I can't wait to listen to Winker give 10 more minutes of non-answers again. If I ever needed someone to stonewall for me, I would hire that guy. Rarely have seen someone say so much without saying anything. As frustrating as it is for general public, the guy is good.
i feel inappropriate laughing in such a thread but this is pretty funny

Right like, what if it's the murderer?? He leaves her body in a field and calls and says, "I have an anonymous tip that MT's body is in this field." He gets the reward?!?!

ETA: oh wait, wait, they said SAFE return. Okay, what if he leaves her alive body in a field and then calls in the tip?
Honestly - if it was my daughter and giving a bucket of cash to the guy who took her got her back alive I’d ask where he wanted it sent.

I totally agree and have said the same. I see it as a way the family can cling to hope and feel like they are contributing/leading to something tangible.
I normally think rewards don't do much. In this case, I think it's about emotions, not money. Just my opinion.

Someone know something, and that person has a conscious and wants this ordeal over and resolved. I'm sure hoping so anyway.

jmopinion

Article published on 27 July:

In an interview Wednesday on HLN, Tibbetts' mother, Laura Calderwood, said the family was told they would get an FBI agent for the case. "That turned into approximately 15 FBI agents," she said.

"In my morning brief this morning, I have been told there's more on the way," Calderwood said.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/26/us/missing-university-of-iowa-student-mollie-tibbetts/index.html

snooze-boat-smiley.gif

This is a very long shot. . . but if she left willingly or has been abducted and hopefully still alive, the one thing she will eventually need that can't be obtained by the abductor (such as food clothing etc.) would be her glasses/contacts. It has been stated that her glasses/contacts were left behind, though it would be hard to absolutely confirm unless somebody new exactly how many pairs of each she had. Has there been any recent activity of contacting her eyeglass/contacts supplier like 1800contacts etc.?

The pig farm must have sounded very promising. The house appears to have been the main target of the search.

A pig farmer said seven [out of 15] FBI investigators arrived at his home last Friday and asked to search it without a warrant. They were there for nearly two hours, taking photos of the interior of the home and also searching his garage. He said investigators then asked to interview him off the property and kept his cell phone overnight to check his records. The farmer has not been charged with a crime and said he “has nothing to hide.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/08/01/mollie-tibbets-disappearance-total-shock-iowa-residents-say.html

This was the first lead, that we’re aware of, that appeared to have ignited some real interest. We’re yet to hear further about the truck stop where someone saw a person resembling Mollie.

I wonder why they didn't get a warrant? Even if I wasn't guilty of anything, I'd still make them get one.

It's hard to explain, but just kind of passively going along with what LE says. From what I've seen, people get results when they push LE
Interesting that we all read people slightly differently. Guess that is what drives the site and interesting discussions. The vibe I got from the father was a very focused determination and a great emotional connection and relationship with his daughter. I didn't see him as passive in this process at all. I got the sense he respects the efforts and expertise of LE but that he will do whatever he humanly can do to get his daughter home. JMO!

I'm still confused about that even after it was addressed in the conference.
The tip is called in or e-submitted. Then user data is scrambled to protect identity. Is the original data cached somehow?
Crimestoppers then forwards tip data to LE. If a crime has been committed I would think LE will still investigate.
How is the reward processed if it actually is a ransom and it goes to perp? Leave a cashier's check in a meeting spot? So many questions!
You are correct. But most people who phone in tips use a burner phone or a payphone (yes they still exist).
They want the reward and won't trust crimestoppers guarantee to remain anonymous. If I had info and it pointed toward me or a family member, that's how I'd handle it.
Oh heck ya'll, I'd have confessed immediately if it was an accident or even if it was my own brother.
Just saying.

Wow, I got zero nerve vibes from any of them - each was poised and determined.

I agree with OP. I like that I was not familiar with the family past mother and father <modsnipped> First I’ll say I have never been in this situation so couldn’t imagine the emotions or feelings but watching it without the knowledge of who is who <modsnipped> I’m sure LE knew of this PC and might have even suggested it. <modsnipped>...it’s hold info close to chest and PC as much as possible and see who sweats. Will be interesting if anything comes from tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members