Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only do locks not deter criminals, cut often with crimes like these, the women are taken while out of the house.

A big dog with a loud deep bark! Many criminals have stated they fear dogs more than guns..I do not think Molly was taken from the house. MOO but she accepted a ride because it was raining.

I think the OP meant to keep the press away as long as possible since they would be covering the PC
Yes. Tuesday's press conference asked media to stay away until Friday. Today's press conference was to make sure media was staying out of LE's way. Not that LE is hiding...just gives them some space to work.

But, what do I know sitting here at my computer. Just a guess.

jmo

(O/t ftr, moo, re: “sightings”, these raaaaarely pan out, imo,, that I’ve seen here. The last I remember was when LC (trafficking victim) was sighted at a bustop, that’s all I can recall atm, maybe there are more.)

police-presence-poweshiek.jpg

Property owners: Police presence in Poweshiek County related to search for Mollie Tibbetts

This case, the Missy Bevers case, the Delphi murders, three huge unsolved cases. Are the bad guys just getting that much better then the good guys are at solving them?
Can you imagine this case in say...1980 without cell phones, social media and fitbits? There would literally be no place to even start. Not many outside of Brooklyn, Iowa would even be aware.
I think we just hear about more cases because it isn't 1980 - so now we also know when more are unsolved. I don't have data to substantiate it, but I bet there are less unsolved cases now than there used to be because investigative techniques, especially forensics, have improved so much.

We have no idea what prompted this search, and to assume that the increase in reward money played a role in this, is pure speculation. Also, there would be absolutely no reason to plan the press conference as a diversion to conduct what appears to be an organized search for evidence.

I think the OP meant to keep the press away as long as possible since they would be covering the PC

Exactly. If LE is moving on something solid...the last thing you need or want us a dog and pony show to watch your every move. If you do find something the hope is to keep media and attention away for respect for the victim and family and for investigation purposes.

Not to me, seems like they would get there as fast as they could. Seems unreasonable that they would set up an elaborate diversion and then go search.

I agree, I think it's coincidental. MOO some type of evidence was found..which if true is a good thing because it leads us one step closer to finding Mollie.

Exactly. If LE is moving on something solid...the last thing you need or want us a dog and pony show to watch your every move. If you do find something the hope is to keep media and attention away for respect for the victim and family and for investigation purposes.

Well couldnt they just put an officer at each road leading to the search area and say they cant go any further?

Knowledge of how LE operates. They don't wait for suspects to destroy evidence, commit more crimes, or leave the country. They grab them immediately. If it turns out to be the wrong person, they deal with that later.
I don't necessarily agree with that and also have a lot of information on how LE operates. It is possible there is surveillance and ongoing risk to the community is not suspected. This varies by jurisdiction but usually investigators have about 48 hrs to hold someone after an arrest before having to justify in court probable cause for the prosecutor to issue charges. Getting enough evidence for probable cause can take time. I still believe they have at least one POI that is being watched. Today's search supports that for me. Jmo.

Would be interested to know if there were sirens or if they arrived quietly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState