Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Following along, nodding and nodding at brilliant observations. As someone stated, don’t know why this case has grabbed me so. Perhaps just the genuine warmth that shines through in Mollie’s smile, and unfortunately the vanishing with seemingly no clue.

I lean toward this being a known individual in her life. Hard for me to envision a stalker/predator type in such a tiny town, but of course it’s possible. Seems less likely that a wandering stranger encountered her in this tiny town. An odd possibility could be she gained a stalker via social media... I often cringe seeing people use their real name, real photo (and I have seemingly seen this on Websleuths). Of course we use real names on Facebook, but privacy is a good option on more public forms of SM such as Twitter and Instagram.

I agree with this being a different case in the donation amount jump. I am new to the forum but wanted to ask if others had noticed the parents are doing a very good job controlling their fears and anger. I think this is being recommended to them and they are handling the pressure well.

Last edited:
LE was already searching today before announcement of large reward increase...and probably planned the search last night. Jmo

True however I don’t see how it factors in that...LE is still doing their investigation as they should, however it seemed to me like many have mentioned that they were speaking to someone specific (I also IMO think it’s someone they know). I also agree that it will bring in false tips however that would’ve been the case from the get-go however now that they’ve had time to investigate they’re looking for a particular response...the one of Molly being returned safe and sound. Again I’m an optimist though ‍♀️

That could definitely be the case. I've only see that in movies and on TV but I know they do it in real life too. Any idea what the requirement is warrant-wise to do something like that?

A warrant is required for auto trackers under United States v. Katzin, a 2013 case out of the 3rd Circuit.

There’s something that stands out to me...and I think is very eye opening yet nobody (not that I’ve seen) as mentioned... so this is entering week 3...so I believe the first mention of a reward (of $1,000) was on the 28-29. The 30th it was doubled...then within days skirockets to approx. $175,000. This screams at me that she’s still alive and that amount grew so rapidly for a reason...because after all why wasn’t this set up from the get go?!? It’s screams at me as a motivator for someone with a conscience to divulge some information...IMO...and it is stated that it will only be given if she’s returned alive and safe. I believe in my opinion that if they had any indicators that she’s no longer alive this wouldn’t make sense what so ever and a waste of time. I could be totally wrong however I truly believe that she still out there alive and have a feeling once that reward reaches $200K aka within the next 24 hours she’ll be returned in some way. Maybe that’s the positive person in me I just think they are playing this so tightly they know a lot more than they’re obviously saying hence why it was probably mentioned to setup for a reward... but like I said that’s just my opinion.

The only thing it screams to me is that they are running out of leads. Someone with a conscience, would provide information without any reward. So I don't see what the big reward will accomplish. That said, I agree there is a good chance she is alive. Everyday they don't find a body is good news.

The only thing it screams to me is that they are running out of leads. Someone with a conscience, would provide information without any reward. So I don't see what the big reward will accomplish. That said, I agree there is a good chance she is alive. Everyday they don't find a body is good news.

It’s the ones that are associated with someone who would do a crime like this that the reward is focusing on. It’s not focusing on people like us with a conscious. It’s focusing on people who need external motivation.

Dear KaaBoom,

I feel that just seeing the pain and great suffering on the faces of Mollie's family members could bore into someone's conscience.

The fact that the spokesperson for CrimeStoppers kept emphasizing that the caller's identity would be kept confidential could prove valuable in getting that one tip they truly need. I hope for this so much.

My heart goes out to Mollie's family during this unimaginable time.

I know we keep going back to the if's and's or but's.... but I really wanted to share my opinion. I really believe crimes are either crimes of opportunity or crimes of intent. Sometimes, someone will have the intent, but the opportunity never presents itself. I feel that more often than not, crimes become crimes of opportunity. IMO I feel this was both. I feel this was a person known to Mollie (either close or not), who knew details about her living situation and knew she would be alone in the home that night. I don't believe she was abducted while out running. I am from a small town and it would be too likely a neighbor or someone passing by would hear/see something. I do feel she was taken from the home. I feel this person had every intent on doing this and felt this was the perfect opportunity now that she was home alone. Perhaps this is why the family seems so assured she is still alive. If this was someone who was infatuated with Mollie, which IMO is likely, there's a good chance they just want her for themselves and not to harm her. I am hoping and praying this is the case and they will be able to bring her home.

I think it’s likely that LE has told the family to keep certain things private. By now, they certainly have subpoenaed Facebook and other social media providers which would allow them to see who she has been in contact with, and if someone was harassing her.

Very likely.

Father of missing Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts wants help, not sympathy

Authorities, including the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigations, have asked the family not to comment on the timeline, search or investigation.

It all comes down to the circumstances surrounding her disappearance. If she was in fact abducted, the odds of her being found alive are not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LostInMaine