Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m impressed with the caliber of the group’s members here in Mollie’s case. I’m seeing some old schoolers who have a lot of experience, as well as members whose opinions I greatly respect and with whom I/we have shared various discussions in other cases, giving us a very broad scope of reference, imo.

Welcome all new members! Nice to see some members I haven’t seen in a while, though sorry it is under these circumstances.

Ditto Margarita!;)
Wow, Mollie's case has brought out some old guns here! Welcome back to some of the best sleuth's across the internet. I joined WS for Kyron Horman's disappearance and got to know and respect so many folks and their opinions. Many great minds here at websleuths!

ALSO, welcome all new members~it's nice to have fresh opinions and observations. There are many ways to contribute, good luck all.

JMO

This isn't the same spot as earlier, is it? Weren't the on 21 before?

Jerad Giottonini on Twitter
DjoW20gUUAAH71V.jpg

"@WHOhd @MikeBorland13HD found K9 and FBI unit combing the area looking for Mollie Tibbetts."
This reminds me of Alexis Murphy's search. They used special trained dogs to find.... a cell phone! Maybe they have those dogs in Iowa as well. :D

When I first moved to my current apartment I noticed my neighbor entertained men at night. I never really felt uncomfortable leaving my blinds open till one night one of them came to my window and scared me to death. A week later another came to my door asking for a girl and seemed very confused when I kept telling him she didnt live here. Since then I close my blinds and always lock my door and never open for anyone I dont know. Recently I realized the 2nd man was looking for my "entertaining" neighbor once I found out her name and we have the same apt number but different unit. Now I am an adult but I made a mistake the first time by opening the door. I wont do that again like I said, but could this have happened to M.T.? Someone thinking they are at the right house, its dark, they cant see an address and M.T. opens the door cause she thinks its safe. Maybe she went out to point to where the correct address was or the perp coerced her or the perp planned it this way, pretending to be lost?
That was an embarrassing interview from a journalistic point of view. Poorly worded questions, and a lack of follow up. WC exhibited a huge number of pacifying gestures during the interview. Definitely nervous, although he may just be uncomfortable in front of cameras. <mod changed name to initials>
I sure as heck would have been under any circumstances if I were in his shoes! He literally looked like he just came from working the pig farm! My goodness! Why did he even give the interview? It can't have done him any any good! And with his record to boot! What are reporters allowed to do on someone's property all of a sudden? I'm flabbergasted by this one this time!

Last edited by a moderator:
This post from Blissful12 is very possible, in my opinion.

If Mollie locked the dogs up and left the house to walk to her mother's house to get the car before work that morning, I think this is a strong possibility.

It would explain the fact that the dogs were in the basement, her cell phone was with her and there was no evidence of a scuffle in the residence.

Mollie could have left very early that morning - perhaps to have breakfast with her Mom before she took the car to work.

Could Mollie have entered a vehicle voluntarily or involuntarily before her brother contacted her that morning to see whether she needed the car?

It is possible that this was a crime of opportunity.

I've had other theories but this one seems to be the one that makes sense to me.

JMO

Yes. That’s similar to what I think happened, except I think a ride was to pick her up, she put the dogs down the basement and then let them in while she finished getting ready, and they grabbed her. That would account for her red shirt being gone, cell phone and fit bit on her, but not glasses/contacts-she was still getting ready and hadn’t put them in yet. Her wallet would still be there too, since she hadn’t left yet.

Yes. That’s similar to what I think happened, except I think a ride was to pick her up, she put the dogs down the basement and then let them in while she finished getting ready, and they grabbed her. That would account for her red shirt being gone, cell phone and fit bit on her, but not glasses/contacts-she was still getting ready and hadn’t put them in yet. Her wallet would still be there too, since she hadn’t left yet.

I forgot about the wallet. Thanks for reminding me. These are the details that are important - they tell a story, in a sense.

And her boyfriend has confirmed that they didn't lock their doors.

Yes, rewards work very well to get the public to look for people who are on the move. That is how Tad Commings got caught. But I would be very surprised if the kidnapper has Mollie out in public.

That dude on the news doesn't look like he has seen daylight in a bit..
This isn't the same spot as earlier, is it? Weren't the on 21 before?

Jerad Giottonini on Twitter
DjoW20gUUAAH71V.jpg

"@WHOhd @MikeBorland13HD found K9 and FBI unit combing the area looking for Mollie Tibbetts."

Yes, that is very close to Lincoln Wildlife Area.

I added to the map I made earlier:

Google Maps

The map is from Mollie's boyfriends to her mom's to Lincoln Wildlife Area to the map in the tweet above and to Cheney's property.

It would be after she put the dogs in the basement because who would know that is the usual procedure?

I’m a little confused by the length of the search. It started around 8am and finished about 3:30 local time from what I can tell. Maybe 4 local. It looks like such a large area that I would think if they had credible information that lead them there and they didn’t find anything they wouldn’t give up with several hours of daylight left. But if they found something - say there was a tip that a missing item was there- if they located the missing item would they just stop looking? Seems like that would make them look even more. I don’t doubt they know what they are doing but I’m unsure which way to interpret the event.
But 8 hours of searching had to be exhausting, especially knowing locals were looking. Very emotional charged situation, mentally and maybe even physically taxing.

FBI...."we can't tell you why she is missing" after a very long pause after question about the general safety of the community.
This little phrase has me haunted as I have never hear LE ever use a phrase like that. MHO is she went missing the morning of the 19th with someone she knew casually and after reading statements made by others in town, I think she is being held against her will, possibly close to house.

I know we keep going back to the if's and's or but's.... but I really wanted to share my opinion. I really believe crimes are either crimes of opportunity or crimes of intent. Sometimes, someone will have the intent, but the opportunity never presents itself. I feel that more often than not, crimes become crimes of opportunity. IMO I feel this was both. I feel this was a person known to Mollie (either close or not), who knew details about her living situation and knew she would be alone in the home that night. I don't believe she was abducted while out running. I am from a small town and it would be too likely a neighbor or someone passing by would hear/see something. I do feel she was taken from the home. I feel this person had every intent on doing this and felt this was the perfect opportunity now that she was home alone. Perhaps this is why the family seems so assured she is still alive. If this was someone who was infatuated with Mollie, which IMO is likely, there's a good chance they just want her for themselves and not to harm her. I am hoping and praying this is the case and they will be able to bring her home.
I agree. The only thing I'm hung up on is that it's a small town. Everyone knows everyone's business, including who's car is at who's house. I find it hard to believe no one noticed anything, including a car at the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor