Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Cheney has any younger nephews/nieces/cousins/etc that would be in either Mollie’s circle, or her boyfriend’s circle, or her brothers’ circle. They would know his farm, hiding spots on the farm, etc.

No worries. However note that I don't think the Fitbit is always forcing GPS data to be transmitted, since it is so battery intensive and many times people don't care about tracking their exact route on a map. You have to manually enable and disable it when you start/stop an exercise.

I've used it a few times, it's useful for certain things because it gives you a very exact idea about how far you've hiked, plus a map, your stride, etc. If MT had a regular running route, I'm not sure what value turning GPS on would have because you'd know the route was exactly x miles already. Frankly I don't use the GPS on my regular hikes anymore; it still tracks my heartbeat, steps, etc. but it doesn't store my location.
LE might know where the attack likely initiated. At some point though, those devices stopped transmitting. So they would have a starting point, a timeline up until that point, then nothing after that.

Yes. I really do think one or both of those devices stopped transmitting at that pig farm. I would think that if her digital footprints ended there, that's the evidence that was used in the affidavit to get the judge to sign off on a search warrant for a property 15 miles away from last known location.

Yes, but what alot of schools do to work around the rules is to have fitness training or fitness clinics in advance of official start date set by state. Lots of wiggle room depending on how the rule is written and even whether its enforced. So, depending on the sport, its not unusal that something (non official or official) is happening in advance of official start date even though alot of states have cracked down and tightened up rules.

I just read that the school has a weight room. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see players starting to lift over the summer.

Thank you! So the store was vandalized sometime between 6pm and midnight. I'm going to guess it was after dark which would make it between 9pm and midnight... I still think there might be a connection, but without knowing the nature of the vandalism it's impossible to know. Also can speculate that damage was to the front of the store which is why the bartender noticed as she left work. I would guess either graffiti or broken glass.
I just don’t see how the vandalism could play into any theory regarding this case.

I agree that clearly they have a reason to have come to that property multiple times and its not his prior record (or we'd see them at the homes of the registered sex offenders too). However I guess I just don't see, if they already have some evidence he is involved, why not just make the arrest. He has to know he is being watched, so its not like they are waiting for him to lead them to the body. Why not arrest him and use the location of the body as a negotiating factor in the charges instead? I don't know, for some reason (probably just the lack of details in the case) I just am not convinced he's the guy, but of course I'll believe the evidence regardless!
I'm not sure if we know whether they ARE interviewing or searching homes of other persons with criminal records or sex offenders too, but this has just not been publicized in the media.

I know this was not directed at me but I can try to help as I looked up a lot about how Fitbits work with the phone. It gets complicated and so take with a grain of salt but I think I have it down.

In a nutshell both the Phone companies database and the Fitbit servers database information will be helpful to LE. And what would be even better is if they find one or both of the devices. Here is why.

The Fitbit database will have more than just location pulled from the phone and the fitbit will have her heartbeat rhythm and other important things that LE would be looking at. So both are important for different reasons.

Basically the model of Fitbit she had means she downloaded the APP that uses the Phones GPS information. The Fitbit device itself will always pull the latest GPS information from the phone but the Server database that LE is looking at will only see the latest "syncing". The Fitbit Server used by the company is the part that is involved with Syncing.

"Syncing is the process that transfers the data your device collects to your Fitbit dashboard. " (link below has much more).

So without the actual Fitbit device, then LE is only looking at the server information which would be the last time the Fitbit was synced. Syncing is setup by the user when they want it synced.

So if LE finds the actual Fitbit device on side of the road then they can sync it themselves and get even more information so long as it was near her phone. Even if it was not near her phone and she still had it on her wrist then the Fitbit device will still be logging heartbeat and other things so its still important to find the device itself.

The phone of course will have GPS turned on and so LE can also use the Phone companies servers to try to get as much information as possible from the phone information. They can get location of the phone in two different ways.
1-One is the GPS location so long as she had GPS turned on and likely she did because she used it with the Fitbit.
2-they can also approximate the phones location based on which towers it was pinging off of.

So bottom line is both devices and both companies computer servers are important to get information from. Finding the Fitbit device itself and the phone itself is also important because then they can get even more current information in addition to the obvious reason which is where that device is found.

Hope this helps.

Fitbit Help - How do Fitbit devices sync their data?
What model of Fitbit did Mollie have?

I just don’t see how the vandalism could play into any theory regarding this case.
It depends on the store's procedures in my mind. Is it a chain store where they have tight inventory policies directed by computers? Or is it a mom and pop where they might not know for sure if it WAS more than vandalism bc some rope or a bottle of cleaning solution turned up missing?

I believe this is outside the realm of what we are allowed to discuss here.

Yes, this! It is in the call logs that the Poweshiek County Sheriff posts on their Facebook page.
Yes, the logs were posted via link a couple of nights ago as there were a few entries that nobody could figure out.

Very very interesting idea. Local football players driving home or driving to practice or weight lifting perhaps/most likely would have noticed MT jogging. Don't think other ideas could be floated now based on TOS, but I'm not sure? This might also be connected to the two MT brothers wearing tee's from the HS football team at the first PC even though I only believe 1 brother is in HS. Coincidence or not? Very curious indeed.

I cannot find the post you are quoting to quote it as well but you reminded me that when I saw the pic of mom in front of the car MT and JT shared in the DM article, I was wondering if the building in the back up on the hill, is that the high school?

I have had 2 stalkers. One was known to me ( school bus driver) I reported him to my principal... nothing done. Thankfully I got my license and didn't have to take the bus anymore. Second in college, never found out who it was although I have a couple ideas. It is very scary and unsettling, and this was way before the days of social media. Poor Mollie..
OT - my heart goes out to you. If you have never had a stalker it’s hard to comprehend the fear. I had one from a dating site and getting gifts on doorstep but was never at my house before ,crazy messages, seeing them where the shouldn’t be.. scares the *^it out of you... and I’m not some live in a box gal. Just a word of advice.. you feel uncomfortable ... REPORT IT!!

Many are getting invested in the fit bit and what information that provides. Let’s not forget she had her phone ( I7) take a look at your own apps. Unless she had locations turned off which is highly unlikely because she had a fit bit and used it daily , numerous apps have location. Standard for data retrivial for marketing. I have NO doubt that LE knows exactly where her last location was before phone went dead or tossed. It was around the pig farm. That doesn’t mean that’s where she is but that’s the last vicinity of her known location.
IF her last known location was along Hwy 21 between Guernsey and Deep River in the area of those hog farms I would suspect that means she left Brooklyn headed to s commununity to the southeast. Hwy 21 (north/south) is the main connection to Hwy 22 and Hwy 92 (east/west) to get to any number of communities. Unless there’s a solid indication she actually stopped there I’d see no reason she wouldn’t just be passing through.

That's not the reason.

OK, say the Fitbit was on and asking the GPS coordinates be sent to the server. Then the police would have specific GPS coordinates, which are pretty accurate (a few meters.) They'd have a farm or hogpen or whatever to search, at least they'd know the last known location of when her Fitbit asked her phone to send data to the cloud. There are lots of reasons - Fitbit was dumped, phone was dumped, everything was dumped, phone turned off, there may or may not be evidence but you'd still have a location.

Why search multiple pig farms?

I had an interesting discussion about this today with my father who spent much of his time in Iowa growing up. His cousin also runs a farm there now. He said that a hog farm is an excellent place for getting rid of a person because hogs would eat the body . Also, he has piles of bones from disposal of dead hogs, etc. the coyotes would take care of the rest and a perp could easily hide human bones in the pile with the hogs. It is so disgusting, and I couldn’t be a farmer due to many reasons. But that’s a way of life.

-I just want to be clear: he is an ex-cop so his thinking is a little different than most

Last edited:
I personally don't buy the HS football team theory. It seems highly unlikely high school kids would have the ability to act quickly and concisely to remove someone with no trace of evidence and then dispose of the body or conceal them without raising the attention of others. Not saying it's impossible. But it seems like a stretch.

Been in this area for 40 years, although mainly with female and child victims. Have experience with perps. Also know rural areas.

1. The 'stranger' is a very rare occurrence. It happens, but mostly in movies or headline cases. Stats are unreliable because violence to prostitutes is 'stranger' violence; that happens alot.
2. Mental illness on a person's part. It occurs that a person decides to run away because of depression or mania. Generally the person would not leave glasses and personal things. But the person is not thinking logically. Her case does not argue for that.
3. The odds are someone in the area or a non-blood relative.
The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. And that is not all that good.

- Sadists or sex offenders tend to escalate. Erotic desires might go from 'rough' to mean', to gag, to tie up, to use a weapon, to harm. It is like tolerance for a drug. Again a perp is not a perp until he perps. And 'accidents happen' where things get out of control.
- A 'normal' person can suffer dementia or a head injury and become deviant. That is actually not uncommon.
4. The people in rural communities often know the area like the back of their hand, and for miles and miles around. Always amazed me.
5. We could like come up with 100 suspects within a 50 mile radius. That would include hog farmers, priests, doctors, lawyers, truck drivers, bums etc. And the best liars are the most educated ones -- I have seen it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member