Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A black SUV was seen circling the Iowa neighborhood where Mollie Tibbetts was staying on the night she vanished, a neighbor revealed to Fox News on Sunday, in what could be a new clue to the college student's disappearance.

The driver went very slowly around the neighborhood the night of July 18, according to a young woman who lives a block away from the home of Tibbetts' boyfriend, Dalton Jack

Suspicious black SUV circled neighborhood on night Mollie Tibbetts vanished, neighbor says

I just wish the lady had got a license plate.

I don't believe her. If she saw this, I would think she would have mentioned it sooner - like maybe 2 or so weeks ago. And if she just thought about it, how does she know she had the right date? I could be wrong, but you've got to wonder if she wants to insert herself into the investigation for attention, or if she wants the reward (which if it's false, she wouldn't get anyway). JMO

Someone mentioned Uber. Some mentioned over 300lb driver.

Took me to Virginia for a moment.

@human That is possible. Someone involved in processing passports, who collects the addresses, then checks to see if the person has vacated ?
If the SUV was seen between 1130 pm and 1 am...
So they drive by...with possible intention of burglary?

Good evening - earlier today I took a trip to Brooklyn, WC's, Deep River and Guernsey ( I live on the IL side of the IA/IL border - about 1.5 hours east of Brooklyn) and thought I'd share it with you all (please note - I tried posting this earlier but got a "database error" and wasn't able to).

Observations as follows: (certainly some of what I'm going to write can be gleaned from a map on the Internet, but to me there's nothing like going there and observing things first hand).

Turning north from interstate 80 - there are NO Mising Mollie signs on the side of the road leading to Brooklyn (approx. 2 miles to the south edge of town) - struck me as odd.

However - virtually all of the businesses in Brooklyn have a small missing poster in their windows, and there are maybe a couple dozen or so yards that have a missing sign - I didn't drive every road in town - but it wouldn't take long to do.

Most of the cars along the road that DJ's house is on have a sign on them!

There is no sign in DJ's yard; but there's one on the corner directly to the west.

MT's mothers house is in what looks to be the newest and most affluent part of town.

Town is split into a north and south section via the railroad track that runs east to west.

The north side appears to be more affluent, roads have curbs, houses (with a few exceptions) are kept up very well.

Drove by the fire station - about ten cars there; no one was visible outside - nothing seemed odd.

Curbs have the name of the street embossed in them - I've been to forty US states and eight other countries and have never noticed that anywhere - unique - to me at least.

Very few people were out on a warm Summer afternoon; a few kids on bikes, about ten people were downtown - seemed to be a family outing or something - varying ages - and all seemed to be headed to or already in the shade to beat the heat.

Seems to me this is a very sleepy town - and very small!

The south side of town seems to be unincorporated - as it's technically not connected to the north side and the streets have no curbs and the houses for the most part - aren't nearly as nice nor kept up like those to the north.

Everywhere I went, if people were out, they waved - as previously noted - that's small town Midwest life.

I drive a red Cadillac suv and to me it seemed to be out of place - but no one gave me the stink eye, etc.

One older gent was driving his golf cart around. - and waved.

My point to all of that verbiage is that this is like a Mayberry type of a town - no graffiti, etc.

CONCLUSION - if a young girl was abducted, etc. - someone saw something!!!

Next I headed to WC's location.

Upon turning down his gravel road (from the hard road) I noticed three small suv's parked in the entrance to the hog farm/confinement that you come across first as you travel east to west.

None of the suv's had any markings on them; they were all nondescript (one of them had a younger woman/girl at the wheel with dark hair - not LE or Media vehicles - unless they were trying to be inconspicuous? - which was impossible given where and how they were parked - kind of haphazardly).

I traveled past WC's and noticed no vehicles outside, no people either - about a dozen cattle were in the barn/small feedlot in front of barn) that was adjacent to or most likely a part of WC's on the east side of the property.

I drove about a mile past and turned around to take another look - passed by many other farms/homesteads along the way.

Driving past WC's the second time - I noticed an older car (1990's) backed into one of two garage stalls - and the other stall was empty.

Place was tidy; seemed like a normal homestead.

No wow factor in any way.

Driving east now back towards the paved road - I got another look at the three suv's - each had plates from different local states - IA, IL and NE - hmmmmmmm???

I then headed to Deep River and it's a tiny place, very old; missing Mollie posters were in the windows of the bank and post office - which also looked like the only viable businesses in town - from a retail perspective that is.

I then headed to Guernsey on my way home - also a tiny place and I couldn't ascertain if there was even one viable businesses there - looked to be a true "bedroom community ".

I mention those two towns as I rembered reading that WC stated in an interview that he never traveled to Brooklyn - well these two places I mentioned have virtually nothing to offer - in terms of buying much of anything- so my guess is he does business in What Cheer.

Also - to me - interstate 80 seemed like a line/border that once I crossed it and was in WC's area - it felt more normal/made sense to me - that if I lived where WC does - I'd probably go to What Cheer - unless I was raised to patronize the businesses in Brooklyn.

Appreciate anyone that's read thus far and I apologize for the length of this post!

IN SUMMARY - Abduction is where my head goes; and it happened during the jog - as the house didn't show signs of a struggle (if I remember that correctly?).

Please Note : I also live alone, am a private person and I can guarantee you I would never, ever allow anyone access to my house and cell phone - and I've never committed a crime beyond a speeding ticket!

Thus - for WC to turn over his cell phone (and overnight to boot), allow his house and property to be searched AND answer questions for two hours - tells me A LOT!!!

Also - one of my Uncles and Grandfathers were both police officers in the small town my mother grew up (in Western Iowa) and I would never, ever take a lie detector test either - to me, it has a HUGE downside and a Miniscule Upside!

Thanks again, take care and I hope Mollie is found safe and sound!

She was born in San Francisco, lived in Oakland until 6 (sounds like father could be in the Navy??). Father lives in Fresno now.

So she really doesn't have Oakland 'street smarts'.
Small town kids often have “street smarts” as well. And Mollie had a year of UI in Iowa City under her belt as well.

The passport is mailed to you. I think you can even take your own pics if you follow the passport pic rules. Size, smile?

I have to chuckle at your “smile”. Recently acquired a passport at my local post office. The employee stated “do not smile”. I shoulda asked why. Instead I complied.

That's certainly the most direct and simple interpretation of what we know.

My starting point with Mollie was to look at points where she was seen running. That information is incomplete, with the last point I'm aware of being the Funeral home. If it was her intention to head North towards her mom's house from that point, one reason why there are no more sightings of Mollie is because she might have been abducted between the funeral home and her mom's house.
Were there funeral home activities that day involving out-of-town people?

I have been a member here for a little over 6 years, and lurked for quite a while before that. I have followed quite a lot of cases here, though I periodically slip away until something else brings me back. This case brought me back this time, as well as some updates on a cold case from 1972 in my city. Just wanted to say, in cases like this one, I think of an old friend here, who I never met, but always valued his insight, and know that he would be here if he could be. I am sure many of you know who I am talking about....Foxfire. I believe he is up there in Heaven now, watching, and if, God forbid, the worst has happened to Mollie, I am sure he was right there to welcome her with open arms. Rest easy, my friend. We will carry on for you...
I noticed you were back after a while, good to see ya SteveP. I actually mentioned Foxfire in a post here, wondering what he would have to say here and had some thoughts. I’ll see if I can dig it up.

ETA: still searching but I see jashrema mentioned our Late Great Foxfire as well, looking for the link to post button?

Last edited:
Since people seem incredulous that the FBI would talk to a witness more than once, here's a data point: I, personally, have sat through multiple 12-hour FBI interviews with a witness who was not only formally cleared, but given immunity for the testimony.
Not sure who you are referring to. I see no one who is INCREDULOUS.

You do know that the fact they've come back to talk to him a second time is somewhat newsworthy on several fronts -- not the least of which is that it seems to clearly suggest that WC either has no alibi -- or offered one that has yet to be confirmed?

JMHO

I don't believe her. If she saw this, I would think she would have mentioned it sooner - like maybe 2 or so weeks ago. And if she just thought about it, how does she know she had the right date? I could be wrong, but you've got to wonder if she wants to insert herself into the investigation for attention, or if she wants the reward (which if it's false, she wouldn't get anyway). JMO

If you click and open, read the article and you'll see this.
"She told Fox News that she reported it to the FBI when she was questioned. Investigators so far have not commented on it."

Well, I tend to believe that she was a little obsessive about social media, judging from her mom saying that she was sending Snapchats like mad to her bf, who wasn't into social media all that much--because she wanted him at the top of her friends list.

What quantity constitutes "like mad"? It's relative. DJ mentioned only one SC from MT on the 18th. That isn't to say there weren't others but something tells me he'd have mentioned more than just the one.

I think maybe LE could be using her ending of digital trail as time of disappearance...they would see her pattern and when it stopped, something happened. I hope it is more than that, but that is my feeling. I don’t hear the confidence many of you when LE has spoken, in general. They seemed to still not be sure if they had a crime, last time they spoke. Jmojmojmo
Here’s an optimistic view here. LE being tight lipped means that they have made a lot of progress and don’t think that sharing anything, is going to aid in Mollie’s recovery. You don’t have this type of effort, with all these resources, unless you are confident of a crime. So I discount what they say, and focus on what they are doing. I do think they know when she went missing, and where she went missing from.

Thank you for the insight! Curious if you watched the interview, and what your opinion of WC is?

I did watch the interview and honestly I don't know. I think a lot of times people who aren't used to media attention are persuaded/tricked/lured into talking to the press when it isn't in their best interest. I do think the FBI/LE had a reason to be on the property but I'm not sure what I think of the person himself. I think if he was a serious suspect the FBI would have brought him in for a formal interview and advised him to get an attorney. Showing up twice after an interview for 5-10 minutes struck me more as something you'd do if you thought someone witnessed something out of the ordinary - "Hey, did you see those trucks again?" "Did you hear anything else?"

I'm hesitant to really point to any individuals without more information because many of my own clients are deeply unlikeable but completely innocent people. I know there are whole fields of psychology dedicated to profiling but personally I think it's difficult without actually being in a structured interview and hearing what someone says and how they say it.

You and me both!! After reading the cautionary warnings of the experts of what may happen to you if you are taken, I'd rather it be right there on the spot.
Yes! Absolutely DO NOT get in a vehicle simply because the perp is armed. Run! Run and scream!!! Statistically, the chances of you succumbing to a fatal wound by gunfire as a moving target in this scenario are very very low. In fact, the perp will most likely not shoot but rather just move on to a victim who does not know this. You should NEVER get in a vehicle under these conditions. If you do, you are only going to the secondary crime scene which is never good! This scenario is not like an armed mugging where you hand over the goods and they take off. You don’t “do exactly what they say” and make it out. Studies have shown this to be true time and time again. So let’s at least educate people on this. Every single person out there needs to know this:
Run away and scream, do not obey a perp wanting you to get in their vehicle even if they’re armed!!

Last edited:
Since I had these all set for multi-quote, I've decided to just respond this time instead of deleting all of them because it took me too long to get to the end of the new posts.

Looking at a picture of her wearing her glasses, she looks very far-sighted (just like her father). She could probably run without them, but it might be a bit uncomfortable.

Since sex trafficking hasn't been mentioned lately, I'll throw in - maybe he had a quota to meet, and just MT wasn't enough after some near misses.

The dogs don't sleep downstairs, they were said to most likely sleep with her.

Now he would have been hard to forget if he was the same guy! Can you imagine the nightmares a kid would have after being chased by a masked 300 pound guy with suspenders and a straw hat? :eek:
About her eyesight, she is near sighted. One of her family members said she needed them for driving, and I think it was her aunt who said she can't see anything without them.

The article says she reported it to the FBI when questioned. Do you know when that was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megaera