Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they may think they know where what etc happened but have to follow all directions until they have her back one way or the other or at least know why they cant get her back if that is the case. the lack of info from police may mean they know but just don't know enough to make a move but also cant tell what they do know without endangering either her or their case more.

as for a hog eating something that is in no way food, like plastic or metal, they will. I seen a hog eat a mans senior ring just because It fell in their mouth reach. some hogs you could go lay on like a pillow and be fine, some anything that is in mouth reach is food.

I think I’ve said this several times by now but I’ll repeat here. The family is absolutely compelled to believe that their daughter is still alive. They know she didn’t run away, so their only hope is that she is being held by an acquaintance, “who is over his head.” The only other viable option is that she was kidnapped and murdered, and they do not want to believe that. Hence all these optimistic public statements, likely based on hope and not evidence.

Agreed. If I had a dime for every time family members had complained about LE keeping them in the dark about the investigation, I wouldn’t have to work. They just can’t risk a distraught family member taking matters into their own hands or accidentally letting info out to the press. So I am really skeptical that the dad’s theory is based on behind the scenes knowledge.

For LE, there's always a balance between rescuing and saving a live person who may be in trouble and preserving evidence and building a case against a suspected perpetrator. The law recognizes this, most clearly in exceptions to the 4th Amendment protections around search and seizure. LE is allowed to break into a house if they have a reasonable belief that an innocent person is in imminent danger of death or serious bodily harm. Normally, you'd be required to get a warrant - but the law allows that in that moment, rescuing a person who may not live while you get a warrant is more important than the right to privacy. LE also makes those types of calculations outside of the law - they may decide it's worth attempting a rescue even if it means the defense will try to get evidence excluded at an eventual trial. Saving an innocent person's life is worth the risk. Plus, presumably you'd get more valuable evidence from a live victim / eye witness than whatever minor evidence a judge may exclude under the constitutional rules about evidence collection.

LE and public information officers weigh this same type of calculus when dealing with missing persons. You want to preserve the integrity of the investigation and be able to conclusively believe you have the right person, so you don't want every fact to be public knowledge. But if you have a strong reason to believe a person is alive and safe and can be recovered, you may lean towards the side of disclosing to save the person. I've noticed this most frequently in cases of missing teenage girls where LE is confident they ran away or were abducted by men they met online - LE may say they believe the girl is in the custody of either a named subject or someone who fits the description of XYZ. Same for Amber alerts. They're counting on someone at a Walmart or convenience store to call 911 with a sighting. I get more concerned the longer a case goes on and there's no information released - it always makes me think LE has reason to believe the person is no longer alive and they are trying to build a solid case to ensure the person responsible is put away for life. There are too many cases we have followed where the responsible people get away with it. I pray for the people who have to make these decisions knowing so much is in the balance.

Honestly, if the last “ping” (whatever) of the Fitbit was the pig farm, then that means the Fitbit is no longer with her, and is a bad sign. Or it IS still with her. Which is an even worse sign.

I am not of the persuasion that this is a romance gone wrong or a kidnapping. Honestly, I think it’s your basic rape/murder situation that tends to happen to young girls while they are out jogging alone. Could have been someone she knew. Didn’t have to be, though. There’s always that “Could you give me directions?” thing where they just have to get you close enough to the car...

I missed almost all of #15 so my apologies about repeats, its so hard to catch up and not comment along the way! I had posted many moons ago that I thought this was someone whom felt they were the better option romantically for MT than her boyfriend and based on what her dad said it seems he and/or LE have narrowed it down to something along those lines too. My thought is, even though they don't seem to have retrieved her phone and don't know her Snapchat history (unless they had her login info, in which case they could have downloaded that too), her service provider would have her calls and texting data and even though my kid uses snapchat like a fiend, she does still text people she is close to also so I would imagine they have a pretty good idea of whom this might be. So this person is unlikely missing as well, or they would have put out an APB wanted for questioning in the disappearance. But they clearly don't feel they have enough evidence to arrest or don't feel confident they'd get the person to break in the 48hrs they can detain for. So is the only option the "wait and watch" approach? The thought of that is enough to drive anyone mad, much less her poor family.

Re: the cornfields from the previous thread. Didn't LE search from the air using that heat sensory thingy that can tell if a body is there? of course the cornfields cover a crazy amount of land so it's possible they didn't look over every single square inch, but I don't think we should assume that they only went so far into the fields because I'm pretty sure the search was not only done on foot.

Infared detection only works when body is warm. When a body no longer produces heat Infared is of no longer of use.

If Mollie was "tricked" by alleged kidnapper known to her, I believe that after 20 days, Mollie would have convinced the abductor to alert her family that she's alive (not necessarily directly but maybe anonymous note left in public location, etc). IMO, that would be Mollie's #1 concern, and her captor would be feeling Mollie's wrath. I just don't see Mollie putting her folks through this if she has any control over the matter. Again, maybe I'm just naive...
I was staying in a hotel in Virginia (inland and rural) a couple years ago. When i got out of the shower in the morning i notice the mirror was fogged with an exception of a large message at the top of it that stated “HELP”. Someone wrote that with their finger. I reported it to the manager who then reported it to LE. People do find creative ways to get distress messages out.

I have tried to keep up with this case via MSM bc the threads on WS going so fast and not having the time to read through them all. I really think this girl was followed after her jog and the suspect waited until dark to break into the BFs house to kidnap her. I am sure this has been mentioned 100s of times already but I had to say it. What is up with the guy that they have interviewed 3 times? Did anything come of that?

Honestly, if the last “ping” (whatever) of the Fitbit was the pig farm, then that means the Fitbit is no longer with her, and is a bad sign. Or it IS still with her. Which is an even worse sign.

I am not of the persuasion that this is a romance gone wrong or a kidnapping. Honestly, I think it’s your basic rape/murder situation that tends to happen to young girls while they are out jogging alone. Could have been someone she knew. Didn’t have to be, though. There’s always that “Could you give me directions?” thing where they just have to get you close enough to the car...
Yes. I agree.

They are free to speak to the media as they please. Law enforcement would certainly have advised them however, you are right about that. In many cases like this you see these optimistic comments from the family, it’s not at all unusual.
That seemed to be north of "optimistic comments". There's a lot to digest within what that man had to say.
And, ilI' even go further... With the amount of resources that have been poured in, as well as the amount of donations to the reward fund... And a deep desire to have his daughter back... The family is not going to put anything forth that hasn't been approved.

For me, it's just a feeling that she is (or at least was for a time) alive. Maybe because of her dad's statements?
When I think about all we have learned about Mollie and how well-loved she was by (apparently) most everyone, I don't see how she could have been involuntarily taken while jogging. I think she would have fought like a wild woman, and made enough noise that someone would have heard. That leaves the probability that she knew her abductor, but did not realize his feelings were stronger (or just different) than hers. I think she willingly got in the car, and was taken away. I don't know if it was someone who asked her to grab a bite to eat, or go for a drink, or can you help me with my online class, etc. But she took the bait and who knows what happened after that. Normally I would think she was deceased, but for reasons I can't explain, I'm not sure she is.
That's my reasoning FWIW

Mollie is 5'2, 120 lbs according to the missing posters. That is a very petite girl. It would not take much at all to overpower or force her into a vehicle. I hate this idea, but based on what we know thus far, could be the case.
Although I am not ruling out that someone she was familiar with coaxed her into a vehicle.

This question is for any of the locals in that area. What is the drug situation like there? There is a nationwide opioid epidemic now, and I am sure rural areas are not immune to it. Also, in rural areas, where there are sometimes depressed economies, meth labs often pop up, and other related problems surface. I know nothing about the area other than it seems there is a more affluent side, apparently, and a less affluent. Is there a big drug culture there, and what are the odds that drugs were somehow involved here? And no, I am in no way implying or even remotely suggesting that Mollie was a drug user, but whoever took her could be, or she could have inadvertently witnessed something she should not have, etc. Just trying to think outside the box here.

The opioid epidemic is in this area as well. I don't know how heavy it is in Brooklyn but an hour a way in all directions it is prevalent.

This is a great article about one IA doctor addressing the problem - look at the locations referred to in the article in relationship to Brooklyn
When an Iowa Family Doctor Takes On the Opioid Epidemic

Methamphetamine In Iowa | Iowa Department of Public Health

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads