Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or it happened late enough, or in such an isolated area, that no one had the opportunity to see anything.
so if it happened late enough that mostly throws out the jog and what she had with her pointing toward the jog. so whats left? so remote wasn't seen or so normal wasn't noticed. I think LE KNOWS how it all started, its the what happened after that they may not know. too much tech for them to not know at least parts of what has happened.

Apple cannot unlock the phone...and they won't. For good reason.
What if the person has left of their own accord?
You file a missing persons report. Then, you call Apple.... and get access to their cell phone.
What if this is a person fleeing domestic abuse?
Apple can’t/won’t unlock phones because their security features have been built to thwart hackers. A private citizen could never request Apple to unlock a phone as only LE and official government entities could legally make this request, and have any hope of Apple being willing/able to comply.

She was studying psychology and I didn't see her posts as alarming, more that she possibly knew others were struggling. My best friend committed suicide and we ALL missed 'signs' that in hindsight were obvious. I still have her dishes.

I meant to bring this up yesterday. With the celebrity suicides the past few years, there has been a real push in youth media to destigmatize mental illness and encourage people struggling with anything (big or small) to get help. I have seen many, many younger friends and colleagues posting things similar to what Mollie has posted over the past few years. I don't want to say it's "popular" because that sounds insensitive but I have noticed more and more people really trying to normalize and destigmatize suffering to try to encourage people who may need it to seek help. People are always posting information about suicide hotlines and help centers to try to help. I didn't even blink when I saw those types of posts on Mollie's accounts because I have seen nearly identical posts across social media for the past few years. From successful executives to college kids to musicians and artists to pastors to moms. People really want to help, and I think a lot of people believe being open about their own struggles can help another person be ok with their own. Which makes this whole thing even more heartbreaking because Mollie was clearly one of the good kids with a very bright future.

This. People sometimes forget how quickly abductions can happen. Jaycee Dugard was stunned with a taser in broad daylight then thrown into the back of a vehicle on a reasonably busy suburb street in California and very few people saw anything.

A perp can plan things out, then roll up and either stun or subdue a victim within seconds, toss them in the back of a vehicle and take off. MT's run was believed to take her to some of the outskirts of Brooklyn around dinner time. Plus she would've been wearing earbuds and thus less able to hear a perp coming. Really not that unbelievable when you think about it IMO.
Jaycee's stepfather witnessed her abduction and chased the vehicle on his mountain bike.

LE to release more information in the search for Mollie at the news conference on Friday:

Reward Increases to $301K in Mollie Tibbetts Case
Forgive me if I'm extremely skeptical about this. When I think "more information", I think something of substance like where her digital footprint has led them or if the have a POI, etc. If they think she's still alive, tell us why not just "we have to believe she is".

I have a sinking feeling that Winker and co's version of "releasing more information" is to rehash what we already know then update the number of tips and leads they've followed and tracked down.

Any thoughts on the homework she was doing that night? Could it have been some type of clinical study where she was interacting with real people or doing research that required her to interact with some folks that were having some type of issues? I'm thinking that the person that has her is related to school, her major and she was trying to help them - this is why the dad keeps mentioning the relationship and school like he's trying to bring this person back to reality.

Video shows Mollie Tibbetts sharing personal story about prayer in 2016

I had no idea what to do," Tibbetts said. "I was so scared, so for the first time in my life, I've prayed before, but I've never gotten down on my knees and just prayed to God, so I did.

"I got down, and I prayed, and I asked God to give me the strength to make it through it, to tell me what to do, to help me out with whatever happened and to know what his plan was."

Video shows Mollie Tibbetts sharing personal story about prayer in 2016

I got emotional reading this thinking about Mollie being afraid.
I was so glad to see her discuss her internal strength and recent growth in prayer.

I don't like the idea that a PC with more info is announced days in advance in a mysterious missing person case. Hopefully my pessimism will prove unfounded.
They do this to limit media inquiries, which can be overwhelming in such a high profile case. LE can simply say, “we’ll address your questions at the next presser.”

Just another theory, but maybe she forgot to check the mail that day and only left the house at night to go down the driveway. If she had food out/cooking, she may have put the dogs in the basement for that reason. just a thought. I don't see why she would want to go on a second run in one evening.

She probably didn't make plans to go for two runs that evening. It's most likely that she did some homework and at 7:30 put the dogs in the basement and headed out for her run. Per her mother, she typically collected the car in the evening before dark, so it's very likely she was going to end her run at her mom's house. She was seen a couple of locations between the house-sit and her mother's house, and then nothing.

Which is why I was questioning why he'd ask them to put aside privacy concerns when she's an adult and he likely cannot give permission to release her data.

I believe the "privacy" comment may have been taken out of context here, and the real topic was delayed information to LE -- easily interpreted as possible privacy concern. If I recall correctly, this came up relating to SC digital time stamp, and not clearly understanding that this application is designed to delete, making some information unobtainable.

Does anybody know the exact areas that have been searched already?

They do this to limit media inquiries, which can be overwhelming in such a high profile case. LE can simply say, “we’ll address your questions at the next presser.”

I appreciate things are done differently in the US but she could turn up at any moment so any pre-planning like this is odd to me.

I have serious issues as to how this case has been handled by LE. I'd like to know if agents are searching for her anywhere besides Utah. What was so attractive to her about Utah? Were her family prior residents? Is the FBI searching in the state of California and have all hostels been checked? Did anyone send flyers to hostels in CA and or Utah? I am so sorry she has not been found yet. I think of her daily.

I appreciate things are done differently in the US but she could turn up at any moment so any pre-planning like this is odd to me.
Well if there were to be a development, they would certainly hold a previously unscheduled press conference. Basically they are saying “our next press conference will be on this date/time barring any unexpected developments.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member