Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They can subpoena all that info and get it relatively quickly. Or you could give your passwords to someone, just in case.

Regarding sex trafficking... I feel like the second a woman is missing longer than a week people jump to sex trafficking. Why would traffickers be in rural Iowa picking up a woman over 18 with family, loved ones, and a busy life that is sure to be missed quickly? That makes no sense at all when they can grab a person with no connections in a much more vulnerable place.

A million times yes. It's scary so people love talking about it but if you look at the statistics, most sex trafficking victims are from out of the country and/or vulnerable runaways. It's tied into smuggling, prostitution, drug dealing. The untraceable and unmissed. The abused and discarded. The goal is money and to continue a criminal enterprise - they are not going to do something to land their operation on the cover of the New York Times and on the nightly news.

If we actually cared about the actual abused and neglected girls stolen into sex trafficking we would put more resources into child protective services, border smuggling, and foster care systems. Those are the children traded for sex, not upper-middle-class white women abducted off the street in Ohio.

Last edited:
Any atty's out there on this one? Double check me but I think you could give a power of atty form to a trusted family member or atty to cover this issue and scenario specifically. My suggestion is to ask an atty that you trust.

Thank you!

Can someone explain to me why many people on here feel that sex trafficking was not involved in this case? I do not know enough about the subject.

From my limited knowledge sex trafficking tends to involve younger girls from troubled backgrounds who often have ran away from home due to abuse. This obviously is not the case with Mollie.

Can someone explain to me why many people on here feel that sex trafficking was not involved in this case? I do not know enough about the subject.
If you wanted to steal and sell items to make money, would you steal from a middle income family home and sell the items or would you steal from a museum? You'd steal from a family because those items would be easier to sell and less likely to be traced. It's the same with sex traffickers, grabbing a college student with a family and friends is going to be missed, too high profile to sell her to anyone so they'll grab a runaway or someone who's already on the streets because they're less likely to be missed and easier to sell.

MOO - sex trafficking in majority occurs with girls that are groomed by someone. Visions of a better life, being loved, being taken care of. Young uneducated girls, family issues, drug issues, runaways etc. I understand there is always a chance that yes someone could have taken her for such purposes however highly unlikely. Traffickers do not want the FBI involved, high profile abduction. It could take down the entire ring . They lurk in shadows looking for victims searching for something .

Law Enforcement should I believe be able to get 'Metadata' from mobile phone towers; that's information like who has called whom and when.
I can login to my cell phone carrier and get every call number, text message (photos) and I have also been able to get the content of the text messages - it's too bad they don't have her sign in credentials or perhaps her cell phone is under their plan?? That would be too easy.

I highly dislike this theory. Victims of sex trafficking usually fit a particular profile (runaways, homeless teens, drug users, sex workers, undocumented immigrants, etc). They are rarely college students, with no history of high risk behavior, who disappear while on a jog or are kidnapped from houses. This is incredibly unlikely, yet in a weird way would be almost desirable, as that would mean she is still living. I give this scenario about as much credence as her having been abducted by aliens.

Agree, plus it stigmatizes the victim into a mere statistic and makes the perpetrator a giant, sweeping, worldwide boogeyman for the cause du jour/celebre.

Any atty's out there on this one? Double check me but I think you could give a power of atty form to a trusted family member or atty to cover this issue and scenario specifically. My suggestion is to ask an atty that you trust.
POA's vary by state - the specific social media provision would need to be included. But I've never seen this tested. I am not an attorney but I have my DPOA for my state. I did not include this particular option to my attorney-in-fact.

We don't know that

You are right. We don't know. Or, can't be told at this juncture.

It makes us wonder.... Was there some proof of foul play, at some point, in the beginning? Even a little bit.......Somewhere, Such as,....... a "small" crime scene, Perhaps, along the road ..........But it was washed away in the storms of that Thursday morning ....?

This is so sad.
Nerve-wracking.
Feel so bad for family and community.

As much as I understand him, the companies will never go against their protocols. They have existing procedures in place and the companies follow the law in that regard.

They will never bend or break their own protocols. Its way too important for their business and its clearly defined for them on how they go about releasing information to LE.
As much as I understand him, the companies will never go against their protocols. They have existing procedures in place and the companies follow the law in that regard.

They will never bend or break their own protocols. Its way too important for their business and its clearly defined for them on how they go about releasing information to LE.
Very true...heck, Facebook wouldn't "unlock" the phones of the two people who shot all those people in San Bernardino.

I believe the video of her father is wishful thinking on his part. I think she was taken and it's not a case of her running away. I'm praying she is found soon.

It's so sad that so many people out jogging or walking alone just disappear.

Just another theory, but maybe she forgot to check the mail that day and only left the house at night to go down the driveway. If she had food out/cooking, she may have put the dogs in the basement for that reason. just a thought. I don't see why she would want to go on a second run in one evening.

You are right. We don't know. Or, can't be told at this juncture.

It makes us wonder.... Was there some proof of foul play, at some point, in the beginning? Even a little bit.......Somewhere, Such as,....... a "small" crime scene, Perhaps, along the road ..........But it was washed away in the storms of that Thursday morning ....?

This is so sad.
Nerve-wracking.
Feel so bad for family and community.

Either they have found something to show that there was foul play or they are just looking at the situation as a whole and determining there was foul play. One way or another, foul play of some kind is the only thing that makes sense. It's pretty obvious. FBI/DCI don't stick around to investigate runaway adults

Social Media companies have policies and procedures (that are published and you can find and read) that outline what information they can and will provide to LE in the case of a missing or endangered person. They'll certainly provide information from the missing person's account. I think it's a little less clear when they'll provide information about a POI or related persons without a warrant. If LE had a suspect, they could certainly get a warrant and subpoena for records. It sounded to me like MT's dad was a little annoyed that the social media companies weren't just providing everything related to Mollie to LE without going through the legal process.

I can login to my cell phone carrier and get every call number, text message (photos) and I have also been able to get the content of the text messages - it's too bad they don't have her sign in credentials or perhaps her cell phone is under their plan?? That would be too easy.

Those will be minor details; Law Enforcement can gain access very easily.

I've been giving a lot of thought to a possibility that hasn't been mentioned. What if a female is infatuated with MT? I'm an old gal now, but my temperament, sense of humor, empathy, etc. are very similar to Mollie. I was also a psychology major. Since my high school years I have been the person who friends and acquaintances would turn to when they needed emotional help. My mother used to say "I've never seen someone get this many calls from boys who are just friends". This was before social media, cellphones, etc. I lived out in the country and both boys and girls would ride several miles on their bikes just to sit and talk to me. That really never changed as I grew older. At 70+ I have as many close males friends as I have female friends. From a time in my life when I worked with at-risk children, I have people from 15-75 years of age who call when they need someone to talk to.

Where I'm headed with this is that I've also found myself tactfully needing to distance myself from both males and females who were "too needy" or exhibiting unhealthy attachment issues. I can easily envision MT being caught up in a similar situation. It's easy to believe that a lonely person could become overly attached to Mollie. I was 20 the first time I found myself in that situation and totally unprepared for the problems that ensued, particularly since I encountered the person, on a daily basis, at work. I've also been in a situation that required LE intervention. At this age I've learned how to prevent those situations that could create problems, but at 20 all I wanted to do was save the world. Empathy is in very short supply these days. What if MT developed a close friendship with someone, while away at school, and that person couldn't handle being away from her? I think it is short sighted to eliminate females from that equation. It just takes one lonely, or disturbed, person to decide that MT is their entire world and they cannot survive away from her. The "joke" post about DJ proposing to MT while in the DR, may have just set an obsessive person off. moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid