Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO
From past cases I have learned that heat signatures on recently deceased people can retain a heat signature for a certain length of time. The longer as time goes on the lower the heat signature becomes. But decomposition in itself can cause an increase in heat.

So the bottom line to answer your question is infrared can be helpful even after a person dies.

Also infrared cameras are best used at nightime as the area cools down then the heat signature of a body can stand out more.
Interesting. Do you know if it still works when the weather is as hot or hotter than an average person’s temperature?

If the Mollie's boyfriend was staying in Dubuque, and I'm not saying he did anything to Mollie, but if he left Dubuque the night Mollie went missing and returned his actions would likely be recorded by a few of the many traffic camera's Dubuque has.

Dubuque has well over 1000 traffic/surveillance cameras. The cameras have been used to solve many crimes. The latest a murder that occurred this past weekend.

Dubuque police use city's 1,000 traffic, surveillance cameras to aid investigations

JMO

If the Mollie's boyfriend was staying in Dubuque, and I'm not saying he did anything to Mollie, but if he left Dubuque the night Mollie went missing and returned his actions would likely be recorded by a few of the many traffic camera's Dubuque has.

Dubuque has well over 1000 traffic/surveillance cameras. The cameras have been used to solve many crimes. The latest a murder that occurred this past weekend.

Dubuque police use city's 1,000 traffic, surveillance cameras to aid investigations

JMO

JMO

And the local police posted on their FB page if anyone had cameras outside on the 18 to please contact them with the footage.

Look for them in Poweshiek County. There was a missing person case in Virginia where the deceased was found inside an abandoned house. Neighbors went to search it because of influx of vultures. (Turkey vultures are everywhere including Canada.)
Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 10.52.27 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-25 at 4.51.58 PM.png

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't thermal drones only pick up body heat meaning she would have had to be still alive for that to be effective? I hope that was an old article... if they are searching the cornfields again now that they have the FitBit data that doesn't point towards a good outcome unfortunately.

I looked it up not knowing the answer myself.

Using a thermal imaging camera mounted upon a UAV (Drone), a wide area of land can be scanned for heat signatures. These heat signatures can be useful tools for finding people, animals and vegetation changes.

People and animals can be identified through heat signatures whether they are alive or recently (4-5 months depending on external factors) deceased.

http://upsondowns.vpweb.com.au/upload/Forensic Investigation.pdf

Wow! Good news for this case.

If there are new searches based on fitbit data they could very well do it without a large contingent of volunteers. If they are using GPS data it could narrow places to look specifically enough for the LE to handle it and I’m sure if they can do it themselves they would prefer it that way.

Seriously. It would be like summoning the public to the landfill to search in the Katlynn Cargill case. And having a bunch of people trampling through the trash with their kids.

Eek.

Random memory, wireless earbuds, but there is no way i could find that link, and who knows if it was accurate reporting.

As for Dalton, maybe he just had a gut feeling to get on the road once he realized no one had seen or heard from her that day.

BBM
Federal investigators hope digital clues provide some insight. The FBI is studying Tibbetts’s online history and combing through her cellphone apps to determine what might have happened to her. She ran with her Fitbit on her wrist, and with her cellphone connected to wireless headphones.

Edited to add:

As Calderwood talked with an FBI agent on the front porch, brother Jake said Mollie always ran in the evening and wore a FitBit and a cell phone holder on her arm, the music playing in wireless headphones.

This amazes me that the Fitbit may become one of the most important things to investigators.

This is a first for me to see this. I knew Fitbits keep track of movements like walking and running but I had no idea they can even track GPS if she had the right model.

For Big Brother concerns it makes me want to go off grid and destroy all electronic devices. LOL But then I realize that someday I may need LE to help me too and so I left my GPS setting on my phone.

Better to just accept the technology and not do anything to get in trouble. LOL
This amazes me that the Fitbit may become one of the most important things to investigators.

This is a first for me to see this. I knew Fitbits keep track of movements like walking and running but I had no idea they can even track GPS if she had the right model.

For Big Brother concerns it makes me want to go off grid and destroy all electronic devices. LOL But then I realize that someday I may need LE to help me too and so I left my GPS setting on my phone.

Better to just accept the technology and not do anything to get in trouble. LOL

Why the FBI thinks Mollie Tibbetts' Fitbit could help find her

Interesting. Do you know if it still works when the weather is as hot or hotter than an average person’s temperature?

JMO
Its a great question and unfortunately the heat of the summer can cause problems because the goal of infrared cameras in searching is to identify a difference/contrast in the target object as compared to the temperature of the surroundings. So if the surrounding areas happen to match the temperature of the target then it would not stand out or jump out to people doing the search.

The good news though is infrared accurately measures temperature so even if there is a small contrast or small difference then a well trained infrared searcher may be able to pickup a target object.

The other good news is there are other types of cameras that may be assisting FBI and LE. They have FLIR, Thermal Imaging, Night Vision, Infrared, Motion Detection, and other devices that can be used in combination.

This article is a good article that helps explain how thermal imaging is used to find bodies.

Detection of Cadaveric Remains by Thermal Imaging Cameras

JMO
From past cases I have learned that heat signatures on recently deceased people can retain a heat signature for a certain length of time. The longer as time goes on the lower the heat signature becomes. But decomposition in itself can cause an increase in heat.

So the bottom line to answer your question is infrared can be helpful even after a person dies.

Also infrared cameras are best used at nightime as the area cools down then the heat signature of a body can stand out more.

Usually drones or helicopters or even planes can be used with those types of cameras looking down on fields or tree covered areas too.

Good info. It works even better with nearinfared technology (a spectroscopic method that uses the nearinfared region of the electromagnetic spectrum (from 780 nm to 2500 nm).

Near infrared imaging picks up reflectance; as a corpse decays it releases carbon and nitrogen into the soil, decreasing the amount of light the soil reflects. At first, the influx of chemicals kills plants, but as it disperses into the area around the body it turns into a fertilizer causing extra vegetation, which reflects a lot of light. The two extremes show up as black and white on the mostly gray near-infrared imaging, giving anyone looking for a body double the chances of finding of it.

Does anyone know if webdleuths will be going back to Tapatalk? This site is a PITA!
Supposedly rhe new software does offer it as an option but I've tagged @Tricia several times about it and she hasn't had a chance to respond yet. If you can find the thread "Welcome to Websleuths #3" you can post there about it. Hopefully if enough people request it they may consider bringing it back.

"I last spoke with her at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday night about what was for dinner. I told her brats. She said, ‘ok,'” her mother, Laura Calderwood, told KWWL-TV.

Mollie Tibbetts Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Calderwood said she had exchanged several text messages with her daughter that afternoon.

“She had sent me a shopping list for a dessert she wanted to make and take to work,” she said. “I texted her that I got the ingredients and asked if she was coming home for dinner.”

According to Calderwood, Tibbetts said she would be home and asked what they were having. “Brats,” she replied. “Ok,” Tibbetts responded.

But dinner came and went, Calderwood said, and Tibbetts didn’t come home.

Disappearance of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts remains a mystery
So maybe she went missing that night? But didn't she snapchat a pic to her bf at 10:00 p.m. that night?

Supposedly rhe new software does offer it as an option but I've tagged @Tricia several times about it and she hasn't had a chance to respond yet. If you can find the thread "Welcome to Websleuths #3" you can post there about it. Hopefully if enough people request it they may consider bringing it back.

Welcome To Websleuths # 3

There are miles and miles of cornfields requiring a lot of manpower. They would need volunteers. The volunteers' families would talk on social media. There would be even more state police cars that would pull into the tiny town of Brooklyn. It would be very obvious something was happening and people would post on social media about it. We would then go down in the dungeon of Webseluths and listen to radio calls.
I'm not real familiar with how accurate the fitbit gps is, but if that's what sent them to search a field maybe it's narrowed down a bit.

So maybe she went missing that night? But didn't she snapchat a pic to her bf at 10:00 p.m. that night?
He opened the picture around 10pm but articles have said it's unclear when it was sent.

Also someone earlier in the thread said that you can send photos that are already on your phone so it's theoretically possible that someone else sent that from her phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Merythe