Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be so awesome if it were true, but I doubt it. She has no means of buying food/renting hotel room. Nothing. People have simply walked away from their former lives in the past, but in today's world, it would be impossible not to be tracked in some way. This case is driving me absolutely crazy! Not one breadcrumb to follow.

Lori Ruff / Kimberly McLean - it was easier back then, although she was very crafty - have to give her credit for that.

Moooo

Do we know for sure she left with no money? She could’ve had cash even though she didn’t take her wallet. I’m sure if she had pulled money out of an account that would’ve been made public or maybe not. But also it being a small town maybe she was paid in cash where she works. Or she could’ve been piggy banking? Saving money on the side?

I'm sure one of the first things they did was check all activity on any bank account. If she had done a withdrawal or there were other behaviors that suggested leaving on her own, that pig farm would not have been a focus. She appears to have been going about her business as usual.

Hello. I am new here. First I want to say this is an amazing site, the moderators and long time members do an amazing job! I am so impressed. I am not sure this has been mentioned because I have not been able to keep up with every thread but I think the person or persons involved may have been know to MT and knew the BF, brother and fiance were out of town and someone that would have known how loose her dinner plans were with her mother. I feel like they would have known she might not have been noticed missing for a good bit of time. If the BF was home and she went for a jog, he would have been curious about an hour and a half when she did not return. Not leaving much time for the person to do what they planned on doing. Of course a stranger would not care how much time but I find it too coincidental. Of course, I do not have any detective experience at all and this is JMO but I think it is someone close as in wide circle of known people or someone from the town.
I hope I did not break any rules as I read them thoroughly several times the past couple days!

Welcome very much, ChiCubs. Very glad you've joined and shared your thoughts. Please continue!

I think your instincts on this are right on the mark.

I actually think it’s not as difficult as we would think, burner phone, bought identification...not saying i think that happened here, but it happens

There would be some sort of evidence that this was planned ahead for. She would have been videoed in a store buying a phone. She would have been acting slightly “off” to people who knew her. And I’m pretty sure it’s only in books/movies that somebody shows up in a car, and she hops in, and the guy happens to have all the fake paperwork she needs to start a new life.

I don’t think Mollie is alive today. I don’t think she was alive past the first 24 hours. And I’m still sticking to a stranger (or relative stranger, maybe a vague acquaintance from college or from town, somebody she had seen before but didn’t actually know very well personally) because I guess, in my mind, it would be even more horrifying that Mollie was close friends or family with a cold killer.

The easiest way to leave zero trail behind you is to be a complete stranger, come in, hit fast, and leave. That, or be a vague acquaintance with no connections. No motive, no reason for anyone to suspect you, zillions of choices on where to hide the body—no trace. If you’re a stranger or a friendly, one-time acquaintance, the police have to go through tens of thousands of possible suspects...and if you’re new to crime or really smart, it’s probable you’re not even in the criminal database yet.

Unfortunately Mollie’s has all the markings of a future cold case, IMHO. That, or maybe they will find the perp when he gets careless and strikes again.

WC still needs to be watched, however, and whatever reason the FBI is not including the local LE....that needs to be watched carefully as well. Again, though, for the reasons mentioned above, I honestly do not think they are going to be able to pin this on anyone without finding a body.

Speaking of a body.... Anyone know if they went over that pig farm property with a metal detector to try to see if that FitBit was there? Or more than the FitBit?

There is a reason the FBI is there. There is a reason they have given nothing at the PC's. There is a reason they have moved back the PC twice. There is a reason they are talking to WC. There is a reason Mollie is missing. There is a reason we don't hear about anything. I am tired of people slamming LE. This is what they do for a living. They are professionals, we are amateurs. HUGE difference. They're not sitting around baffled saying "well we just don't know". They know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing, and anyone else who thinks otherwise needs to take a step back and think for a moment. This is obviously very complicated or they wouldn't have 40 people working the case. They are going to cross the t's and dot the i's before they make a move. This is real life involving a real girl, a real family, a real community.

I do not know why I didn’t think this before. She had a very big SM presence. What if she meet someone online? What if she met up with them that night? That would make since that no one local besides her is missing. Full disclosure I got sucked into the SM catfish thing. People are not who they say they are and some are very charming. Her address can be found on her SM. Maybe she told that person she was going to be by herself and they took it upon themselves to drive there. They called her from her driveway. Shocked she went outside.
Also I’m not judging her in any way. I remember being that age. I also keep thinking I was an angel in my parents eyes. Oh if they only knew some of the crazy stuff I used to do. They’d be shocked for sure. So that LE lead investigators comment of “getting to know Mollie” really stands out.

I really hate the news shows gathering their own “experts” paid to come on and spout their opinions about cases they are not working.
Agreed, it can really muddy the waters. Because people will see the headline "MT went off in car with someone she knew" and take it as fact, when it's just the speculation of an ex-FBI agent not even on the case.

<modsnipped- unproven> What I'm saying is...what if they were supposed to meet up with her. I'm just saying this thought because I remember sneaking an ex gf out at night before and driving around trying to find a meet up spot with her in a little town. Had to drive around till we had a good spot. This thought could just be way out there though.( Sorry didn't know that was not aloud. This thread is so tricky anymore....everything is unproven)

I can think of one big reason.

Not to cast aspersions on anyone but what kind of person or professional would an intelligent, careful person ride off with? One who would be trusted anytime anywhere?
I think more along the lines of inevitable leaks damaging to the investigation. Everyone knows/ works with/ goes to church with/ attends clubs with/ does business transactions with/ goes to school with/ has kids that goes to school with... everyone else. Impossible to keep “close to the vest” if local LE know. That doesn’t make them Barney Fife- just human. They can’t be sequestered like a jury, so they are left out of the direct loop.

That is interesting that even local law enforcement may be in the dark!
I wonder why?

I honestly believe that it’s just because the town is too small. They don’t want someone from local law enforcement to give away secrets nonchalantly in passing or at dinner with extended family. It could tip a potential suspect off. Or perhaps they have found dna at the pig farm (or perhaps thought to be potentially in manure?..) but they are not telling anyone until a positive dna match comes back since it is not anything immediately identifying as being Mollie’s.

When I was browsing Mollie’s Facebook I cam across her liking a post where one of her friends was sworn into the sherriffs reserves. The town it literally so small Mollie had a friend on reserves. It is very easy for a cousin to let slip to cousin the smallest detail of a case that could actually matter a lot.

There is a reason the FBI is there. There is a reason they have given nothing at the PC's. There is a reason they have moved back the PC twice. There is a reason they are talking to WC. There is a reason Mollie is missing. There is a reason we don't hear about anything. I am tired of people slamming LE. This is what they do for a living. They are professionals, we are amateurs. HUGE difference. They're not sitting around baffled saying "well we just don't know". They know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing, and anyone else who thinks otherwise needs to take a step back and think for a moment. This is obviously very complicated or they wouldn't have 40 people working the case. They are going to cross the t's and dot the i's before they make a move. This is real life involving a real girl, a real family, a real community.

Welcome jman07!

Well said. Completely agree with you.

One thing that I will take away from following this case is to observe everything. I LOVE sitting on my front porch with schoolwork, a book, or just little projects, but I have to admit I am not the most observant. I will now make note of who passes by, like the two joggers that just went past that I can describe if anyone were looking for them!!

I do not know why I didn’t think this before. She had a very big SM presence. What if she meet someone online? What if she met up with them that night? That would make since that no one local besides her is missing. Full disclosure I got sucked into the SM catfish thing. People are not who they say they are and some are very charming. Her address can be found on her SM. Maybe she told that person she was going to be by herself and they took it upon themselves to drive there. They called her from her driveway. Shocked she went outside.
Also I’m not judging her in any way. I remember being that age. I also keep thinking I was an angel in my parents eyes. Oh if they only knew some of the crazy stuff I used to do. They’d be shocked for sure. So that LE lead investigators comment of “getting to know Mollie” really stands out.

I would hate to insult her intelligence by even thinking she would do something like this. It looks like she had been with her boyfriend for three years. That’s a pretty solid relationship. She lived in a house with multiple people in it, and had a close relationship with her parents. She didn’t have a perfect life, and I’m not a pro, but on the surface IMO she does not fit the profile of someone who would go looking to meet someone she found online.

Hello. I am new here. First I want to say this is an amazing site, the moderators and long time members do an amazing job! I am so impressed. I am not sure this has been mentioned because I have not been able to keep up with every thread but I think the person or persons involved may have been know to MT and knew the BF, brother and fiance were out of town and someone that would have known how loose her dinner plans were with her mother. I feel like they would have known she might not have been noticed missing for a good bit of time. If the BF was home and she went for a jog, he would have been curious about an hour and a half when she did not return. Not leaving much time for the person to do what they planned on doing. Of course a stranger would not care how much time but I find it too coincidental. Of course, I do not have any detective experience at all and this is JMO but I think it is someone close as in wide circle of known people or someone from the town.
I hope I did not break any rules as I read them thoroughly several times the past couple days!

I first want to say welcome, even though I am just as new as you are. I have been following this case passively since the very beginning, receiving tid bits from my wife. Once the hoax sighting in KC took place, I latched on and have been on WS for a few days now. This is a great site, everyone provides great insight and it is run in a very professional manner. Not to mention, everyone is so nice on here.

Now, down to brass tacks...I echo your opinion. I think this scenario connects a lot of things for me. This could be the reason LE is so tight lipped, because they DO HAVE a large piece of key information. This could have been some sort of communication between MT and this person in an electronic fashion, whether it was welcomed or not by MT, ie a facebook message or direct message via other SM sites. The second thing I want to note is that she didn't necessarily have to get into a vehicle "willingly" or because she was "comfortable" with this person. Someone a few threads back mentioned the Dru Sjodin case in which a knife sheath was found. Or even the Jacob Wetterling case to a certain extent. In this case it could have been a gun or some other sort of weapon, obviously the use of a weapon can be very persuasive, but we just don't have the evidence to show it at this point. This leads me to believe that the reason LE pushed back the PC is because they are close to something. I have said already that if they had nothing new to say, they would have just had the press conference. My final thought is a little further speculation with not a ton of basis to go on, but I feel like this person was organized, somewhat local and familiar with the area. This is where I really echo your idea, it isn't a coincidence that they knew she was alone. I don't think it was someone young because if that person was also missing, it would have come out by now. It is quite obvious that MT was a caring person, who may have connected with someone via a church function or something around town out of the kindness of her heart and this person took it and ran with it. It could have been someone from a neighboring town that frequents Brooklyn for work or some other reason. I think if it were random, it is too clean. There would have been more to go off of. MOO. (Yes, I am catching on the acronyms)

Again, a lot of speculation on my part, love the site and I look forward to the thoughts everyone else has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevHill