Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Molly may be an experienced runner, however, she is obviously not aware of the danger associated with wearing headphones while jogging.
Mollie didn't necessarily have the music- if that's what it was- loud. When I wear them in public I have them way way down, almost barely audible.

Although there is no confirmation from neighbor R. Thompson on what street he saw Mollie "walking nonchalantly," it is in my opinion he had to see her walking east on W. Des Moines Street.

Looking back at his interview video, if you look closely in the video, he is gesturing with his hands in the direction of W. Des Moines Street.

Furthermore, he is talking on his front porch, and in the background you can see some sort of longboat or wagon on his right shoulder side. If you Google map his location using the street view feature, you can see that same longboat/wagon right off W. Des Moines St.

Near the end of the video, the camera also takes a close-up look on the W. Des Moines St. street sign.

He states "she had to go either north or south." Why? Because at the end of W. Des Moines street, there's no other option.

Why does this matter? Because if Mollie was running east on Pershing Drive, "up the hill" on East 2nd Street, etc. how the heck did she end up walking east on W. Des Moines St., the same street where the bf's house is?

Maybe, just maybe, she made it home after the run then walked towards mom's house where "something" happened.
IMO I imagine her route as heading down Des Moines to the East. Then possibly mills, e2nd, orchard and Pershing, I always assumed she was heading west but may I be mistaking west Pershing as heading west....possibly. Does anyone know if there are more sightings on Pershing that would indicate the direction she was traveling?

Except, Pershing and E 2nd street are parallel. There has to a N-S route? Anyone see her on Jackson? That's a main drag.

Yes, she had to run N/S somewhere, I just skipped all of that mumbo jumbo because we have no idea where to start. She could have went on Jackson, Mills, North Orchard St., etc.

It is hard to map out an accurate running route based on the info we have now, especially considering she liked to run long distances up to 45 mins.

If a perp was grooming MT, he would have KNOWN in advance what he was getting himself into. I don't think a perp would continue on with the abduction knowing MT's was capable of this type of national attention and what her family/friends/BF were capable of i.e. reward $, LE + FBI involvement, eyes and ears all over this case vs. all others who disappear in the past 6 months.

MT life and from what we know, doesn't fit the description for being groomed, wanting to escape Iowa, or live another life with a perp, known or unknown to her. Her behavior leading up to the day she disappeared looked typical to me of a 20-year-old girl.

JMO

I think we can only assume that, whatever the family dynamic, any of the individual things she did were not so alarming to mom, brother, boyfriend, etc, that they immediately realized something was up. Not showing up for work, I'm sure, then caused them in hindsight to go back and realize things were strange. There are a ton of times I text my wife, mom, sister, etc and they just don't respond at all for one reason or another...didn't warrant a response, didn't have time, saw it and forgot...whatever. It's only after the fact and all of these unusual things coming together that any of the single things that happened start setting off alarm bells.

Yes, it's easy to assume she got caught up in school work or fell asleep. Most people aren't going to jump to the worst-case scenario immediately when someone doesn't respond to a text or doesn't show up for dinner (unless they /never/ miss dinner when invited). My mind only goes there because I watch too many crime shows. However, if I don't return a text immediately or don't come home from work at my usual time, I know for a fact my boyfriend isn't going to jump to the conclusion that I've encountered foul play. He's going to assume that I'm busy at work (or I'm mad at him, lol). The fact is, we don't know what Mollie's prior conversations with her mom or boyfriend could have been or what was considered "normal" for her.

Sometimes I wonder how long it would take for someone to report me missing if I were in fact missing. If my boyfriend were out of town, I imagine it would be when I didn't show up for work.

Smart and fast thinking. So glad you survived! It's my nightmare.

Reiterating my point that I and other members find such discussions of personal experiences valuable and important. We also should be learning here from each other. I want women here who normally might not think about such things to think about such things, know what I’m sayin? Especially younger ladies who are on their phones, earbuds, etc with minimal awareness of their surroundings.

Last edited:
I couldnt DISAGREE with you more.

Being a LE employee, for over 30 years.
I have made several posts defending the intregity of the on-going investigation.

It is not amateurish, IMO. You have to
Have knowledge of crime investigation, and standard procedures, to understand.

Disturbing to me, that so many people, on this site, "liked" this comment. I doubt the person posting this, has any professional investigative experience?

To form such a conclusion, about the quality of this investigation, is baseless, IMO.

**** Some people on this thread, have lost the focus of this investigation. Hopefully, finding MT alive. Taking "cheap shots", at LE, is misguided at best.

I base my opinions on fact, and not mere speculation.

Thank you.

This is one of those things that bothers me. I would like to know which LE told him that, if they even did or possibly a conclusion he made from what he was told. I can't see FBI saying that to anyone since they have been so tight lipped about everything else. Also I think they usually do not say what they know so far as to make sure what the possible witness tells them is "clean" and not as a result of anything they told them happened prior. I think this is especially important because they were attempting to figure out a timeline. I think they would have not said anything at all to him.

I guess it's possible that initially local LE said it to him because they are all in a small town and know each other and might be looser lipped then FBI. Perhaps it was done by one or the other possibly baiting him to see if he knew anything he wasn't saying.

Does anyone know when that neighbor was interviewed. Is he the guy on West Persching? I've been looking back and haven't found the article that it first appeared in. I do believe private citizens can misconstrue what they were told by LE not intentionally of course, just trying to repeat something that was said a day or two after might get all muddled.
No the guy who said LE told him that she jogged by is on West (it's a little street running north and south between Des Moines and Pershing). Initials DC.

- So are you saying Des Moines to Jackson, south to Pershing, east on Pershing to Mills? Because NH said he saw her jogging on Pershing but Jackson and Pershing is four blocks from his house. We could speculate she ran west on Pershing on her way home, but my second point confuses that because both can't be true.
- There are also comments floating around WS about her running 'towards the funeral home' on Pershing, so that wouldn't fit that. However, I cannot substantiate that comment through any video or article means at this time and would LOVE to see where that came from.
I can't say how she got to Pershing, but it is part of my loop theory. I had thought she was seen near (not at) the corner of Jackson and Pershing. I am trying to make sense of her sightings and how she got to East 2nd and then ran west from there, toward bf's house.

Ok, I looked at the map again. Are you saying that someone at the west end of Pershing (at West St.), before it crosses Jackson, saw her running east? Perhaps she ran east on Pershing, up Monroe to Des Moines (maybe she felt the route wouldn't be long enough w/o adding in more of Des Moines, or just wanted to avoid something on the next block of Pershing), Des Moines to Jackson, Jackson to Pershing, Pershing to Mills or Williams, to E. 2nd, it turns into W. 2nd, up Orchard (or intending to turn up Orchard) toward bf's house.

I feel strongly now, that there is more than one person involved
If we determine the "Who" and the "Why', the timeline may fall into place.
People are assuming this is a predator who is working alone. Not necessarily

Is it possible to please embed the tweet? Having tech issues, thank you.

Sarah Beckman‏ @SarahBeckman3 21m21 minutes ago
Rob Tibbetts is out at the state fair today, telling people about his missing daughter, Mollie. @weareiowa5news interviewed him, watch at 5&6 for full coverage and updates on her case.

DkQ9wA7V4AAzBkh.jpg

Thank you. I have been trying to shoot holes in why that would be a bad idea and you just found the large hole in that.

It gets hard to figure out the wording in a reward to allow a returned deceased body location.

I do agree with another poster that at a minimum they should allow a reward for information leading to an arrest of someone responsible.
(Oh my goodness Hatfield, this is what happens when you spend too much time here, I just saw your post and got complllleeeeeyely confused, thinking I was Tristan Beaudettes’s thread!)

Most likely long enough to get home (DJ/BJ/AH's) or mom's.
Yes but not, I think, to go to DJ home first, do homework and whatever, then go to mom’s later. Maybe though if she was planning to shower there. Sigh. Every question leads to more questions.

This is one of those things that bothers me. I would like to know which LE told him that, if they even did or possibly a conclusion he made from what he was told. I can't see FBI saying that to anyone since they have been so tight lipped about everything else. Also I think they usually do not say what they know so far as to make sure what the possible witness tells them is "clean" and not as a result of anything they told them happened prior. I think this is especially important because they were attempting to figure out a timeline. I think they would have not said anything at all to him.

I guess it's possible that initially local LE said it to him because they are all in a small town and know each other and might be looser lipped then FBI. Perhaps it was done by one or the other possibly baiting him to see if he knew anything he wasn't saying.

Does anyone know when that neighbor was interviewed. Is he the guy on West Persching? I've been looking back and haven't found the article that it first appeared in. I do believe private citizens can misconstrue what they were told by LE not intentionally of course, just trying to repeat something that was said a day or two after might get all muddled.
Mother of missing Iowa college student recounts last text she sent to daughter

This article was published July 31: Mollie Tibbetts search: 'We are not giving up on any possible leads'

Neighbor DC, a retired maintenance director for the Brooklyn-Guernsey-Malcom school district, told The Associated Press that he was interviewed by investigators who told him that data from Tibbetts' Fitbit showed she jogged past his home that evening and made it home from the run safely. He said investigators told him she was doing homework on her computer later that evening.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxn...th-someone-knew-says-fbi-ex-profiler.amp.html
I’m sure that this has been posted by now, but this particular FBI profiler was spot on with her assessment of the Vanessa Marcotte case. In that one, she suspected that the perp didn’t know her but knew the area. In Mollie’s case, she seems to think that she willingly got into the vehicle with her assailant. Obviously time will tell if she is correct or not, but I like her reasoning here.

I'm right there with ya. Have you looked at @Jennifermn 's Google Map: Possible Eye Witness Sightings of MT - Google My Maps

It's excellent. I really really really need to know where 'running on Pershing towards the funeral home' came from because that does not fit anything. Running west on Pershing maybe.
I thought I read somewhere she was heading west on Pershing but now that I see it’s east Pershing and west Pershing I am second guessing myself. If I am correct about west ON Pershing I would place her on orchard turning west into Pershing and then up west st to head home finishing her run in that location which would make sense because witness in e2nd said she was heading towards casey’s (West) so she possibly tiurned up one of the side streets that would put her on Pershing.

IMO I imagine her route as heading down Des Moines to the East. Then possibly mills, e2nd, orchard and Pershing, I always assumed she was heading west but may I be mistaking west Pershing as heading west....possibly. Does anyone know if there are more sightings on Pershing that would indicate the direction she was traveling?

Nothing that I'm aware of except this phrase floating around of 'towards the funeral home' (that I obviously can't seem to move past because I keep asking about it) that I cannot find documented anywhere. I will say I'm a reader more so than a video-watcher so maybe someone said it in an interview?

I do not know why I can't let this phrase go.

Edited - also yeah, I think folks are just getting confused between East and West Pershing and thinking it means MT was heading in that direction but I don't think we actually know that for sure (until someone can show me who said 'towards the funeral home')

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB