Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe there are friends that texted or sc Mollie in that window before 7:30AM, that she did not respond to. I recall this especially because it's so out of character that she'd be off the social grid on Weds evening 7/18 after texting Mum "OK" about the brats.
I'll check into that. Thanks!

Awwwww.... I just had to look up the Butter Cow... Mollie must have a great sense of humor.

Butter Cow - Iowa State Fair

Yes, and when Dalton speaks of her you feel his genuine love and happiness-he almost grins and chuckles. Listening to him about made me forget for a second that Mollie was missing.
These lives are shattered. Come home Mollie!
jmo

After reading on here the past several years, I see one big difference between this and most other missing cases.
No foot searches? This to me is the strangest part of this case. I can (kind of) understand LE not doing them, but not sure what to make of the family not doing any.
I think it's either they know she's still alive somewhere or just some major denial.

Can anyone think of other high profile cases where there were no foot/ground searches and the reasoning for that?
There were foot searches. They were "suspended" this week. If you look at the early reports they show people lined up to go through corn fields.

After reading on here the past several years, I see one big difference between this and most other missing cases.
No foot searches? This to me is the strangest part of this case. I can (kind of) understand LE not doing them, but not sure what to make of the family not doing any.
I think it's either they know she's still alive somewhere or just some major denial.

Can anyone think of other high profile cases where there were no foot/ground searches and the reasoning for that?

When we were looking for Tim Cunningham (he was my colleague), we did very few foot searches simply because we didn’t know where to look and Atlanta is sooo big. We looked at all the places that meant something to him, as well as hospitals, parks, homeless shelters, but the police were not able to give us a lot of the information that they had. He was found ~2 months after he went missing in the river downstream from where he lived and it was ruled a suicide.

Yes, and when Dalton speaks of her you feel his genuine love and happiness-he almost grins and chuckles. Listening to him about made me forget for a second that Mollie was missing.
These lives are shattered. Come home Mollie!
jmo

I really choked up when Dalton said words to the effect that everyone has a Mollie--someone who has made a real difference in their lives. Praying hard for a good ending.

It is strange. I would like TexasEquusearch brought in if possible. You don’t want untrained members of the public destroying possible evidence. I’m really concerned Mollie’s remains are going to be discovered by hunters in the winter months. (Apologies for talking like this I truly hope I’m wrong)

I grew up thinking the FBI knows everything. They know what you are going to do tomorrow, before you do it. I think they have every social media post sent and received for years from mollie. Her Fitbit and phone location. Yet they still spent a lot of time at the “pig farm”.
Agree completely. Only question to that I have is why are they at the farm? Actual interest or is he being used to sway focus away from their suspect? They may also want his knowledge.

When we were looking for Tim Cunningham (he was my colleague), we did very few foot searches simply because we didn’t know where to look and Atlanta is sooo big. We looked at all the places that meant something to him, as well as hospitals, parks, homeless shelters, but the police were not able to give us a lot of the information that they had. He was found ~2 months after he went missing in the river downstream from where he lived and it was ruled a suicide.

You're right. I do remember Tim and I followed that case pretty closely on here. Yes, Tim could have been anywhere, Atlanta is huge and some were thinking he had simply "walked away" to start another life.
I was just thinking with a town the size of Brooklyn, that there would have been more searches done.
There was a fairly local case to me where she was found a month later but found mostly due to a search organized by family/friends/private investigator.

Search the Iowa Missing Persons Clearinghouse, if you have not done so already. Use advanced search. Select Gender: female. Age: 20 (that sets age range ~17-23). Click the Search button.

Missing Persons

I'm guessing the many results from that search reveals a possible reason why the FBI is so prevalent in this case. Others?

Great info. That leaves the land.

As referenced earlier, photos and news reports about searching fields. Moo.

ETA:

New clues sought as search continues for UI student in Poweshiek County

"Law enforcement will also be repeating the neighborhood canvas near Mollie’s home, jogging, and work routes. The entire community was taking part in the ground search over the last two days, so many neighbors were not at their homes at the time of the first neighborhood canvas," wrote Heaston, Tibbetts' cousin."

I am intrigued by the wind farm project that was brought up and the pdf that was posted showing the location of the turbines. The project is quite large and is not too far from Brooklyn. I would have to imagine if that project is currently in the works, it would bring in many temp/contracted employees from outside of the area. I work for a company that provides skilled labor and often when we send employees out on projects hotels get filled up quickly and sometimes we have to go several towns over to find vacancy.

The hotel in Brooklyn would likely be utilized by these workers. I am just brainstorming on what would bring someone to Brooklyn if this was a stranger abduction. If you were living in a hotel it'd be reasonable that you might go driving around in your off time looking for things to do, places to eat, etc.

I included the hotel on the map I created and attached that wind farm picture with the hotel. I'll relink the map in this thread for anyone who may want to view it without digging back through previous threads.

Possible Eye Witness Sightings of MT - Google My Maps

ETA: Click on the pins for more info/pics.
BAM!!! There you have it. A perfect example of how a stranger could make contact with Mollie and take advantage of her helpful nature. Guy sees her jogging in an area where there are no or very few buildings, homes etc. He slows down and says Hi, My name is Joe Blow and I'm working on that windmill project, you know the one going up blah blah...I was just driving around trying to get familiar with the area and now I appear to be lost. I'm trying to get back to the hotel I'm staying at. Don't laugh. I'm female and was once 20. If the guy was good looking you bet I would have attempted to help him out and direct him to where he needs to go. Not exactly sure I would get in the car but I would certainly at that age have talked with a good looking young guy.

I also think there should be some discussion about street wiseness. I grew up in a city therefore less likely to take risks if I was on my own. My daughter is a country girl born and raised. As clueless as I was about some things my daughter is even more so. When you don't see violent crime around you, all the people you know are pretty trust worthy and never betrayed you, you have this naive innocence about you that is so sweet and so vulnerable. I think Molly was probably as naive as my own daughter and possibly more so. Just because someone is dating a guy, staying over his house etc does not means she is "worldly" in different types of situations. Some men prey on this being the case and select young girls like that. In the above scenario if a guy asked her if she could help him get back to the hotel and she believed him, it could be as simple as that. Any story he could give really. If she was nearing the end of her run especially she might be more inclined to do it OR if what ever place he asked for was in fact on her way and he knew it.

Not saying it happened, just emphasizing how easy it would be.

Does anyone have any links to the home being burglarized nearby? I hadn't heard that before.
Looks like a "software issue" led the sheriff to pull the public call logs for the 15th and 16th, per his Facebook page. Sez he will not be posting them in response to a question. Maybe they were never posted but seems odd all the others have been. Software issue? Really?

Attachments

• sofb.png
    sofb.png
    120 KB · Views: 83
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics