Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The dogs can't tell when a person was there, just that she WAS there. The cadaver dogs used in the search are obviously used to detect a body.
Since this is Mollie's hometown, and it's a small area, sniffer, not cadaver dogs, may be completely useless, right?

Agree that this road would not be safe and not offer MT a pleasant run as one truck or car passing and you would be covered in dust or dusted with stones and debris. Given the lack of shoulder its possible in the vehicle were going fast enough that you could be pushed into the ditch area.

I think I remember the googlemaps date on the images as being from 2013. There might be sidewalks along there now (school zone requirement?). I think there's some GoPro (Needles) intell. about to be mapped. I'd like to know the current state of the school zone section, and the Boudary Street section of my 3.1 mile loop.

Her mother stated two of her work shirts were still at the family home. Perhaps she kept only one at the Jacks' home?

What's fun is that, afaik, it's not even clear how many of the red shirts she had, 2 or 3:

Day camp staff are typically supplied with two work-issue red shirts bearing the company's logo though they would occasionally ask for a third. Staff weren't required to wear them every day but would always put them on for day trips.

And Mollie worked at the same camp at GRMC the prior Summer. The shirts are extremely simple design (They simply have "GRMC Day Camp" in an offset font across the chest, see pic at link below) . Possible she had a couple left over from the prior Summer...

Red shirt tied to missing Iowa college student, 20, found near previously searched pig farm | Daily Mail Online

There are a lot of rumors floating around.

We do know that Mollie sent her mom a text around 7:30 P.M. on July 18th asking what was for dinner. NH saw Mollie running around 7:30 P.M. which makes sense because his home is very close by to DJ's home. Another person, RT says he saw Mollie walking from his window while watching television (I have never seen a time mentioned) and the latest known sighting of Mollie came from DR on E 2nd St. around 8:00 P.M.

We know that she was likely still wearing her jogging clothing and sneakers and had her arm band, cell phone, fitbit and earbuds with her.

The red shirt, Mollie returning back to the house, Mollie doing homework after the run, the dogs being well fed and watered - these are all items that haven't been substantiated AFAIK. They're interesting to theorize and look at but it seems like many are taking these items as fact.

I could have sworn i read there was a trip scheduled the next day so the red shirt was needed

Correct. The video of Mollie that various posters noted seemed intimate was taken the day before she disappeared. I think she wearing a brown shirt and jean shorts? Looked like she was sitting on the floor and the person filmed her at a level that it could've been one of the camp kids using her or someone else's phone to film.

<modsnipped>

I think she was just maturing... The freshman 15 also.... She's only 5'2". Most runners, even those running marathons, don't LOOK like professional runners. The high intensity, short interval training she did in track wouldn't be the same in her own and I would assume she stuck to longer, even paced runs.
I thought she was a member of the cross country team and not track team? Where did you see that she ran track too? We also have articles and her own video talking about breathing issues that sounded chronic in nature.

I thought she was a member of the cross country team and not track team? Where did you see that she ran track too? We also have articles and her own video talking about breathing issues that sounded chronic in nature.

>>snip

In the video that runs for about three-and-a-half minutes, Tibbetts speaks during a faith event at her high school. She said she was nervous about competing in an important cross country meet after not running in the two preceding meets because she had difficulty breathing and felt weak.

"I had no idea what to do," Tibbetts said. "I was so scared, so for the first time in my life, I've prayed before, but I've never gotten down on my knees and just prayed to God, so I did.

"I got down, and I prayed, and I asked God to give me the strength to make it through it, to tell me what to do, to help me out with whatever happened and to know what his plan was."

Video shows Mollie Tibbetts sharing personal story about prayer in 2016

Without giving too much away, it was said somewhere on here, I think, that it’s an older couple in that home of the burglary call. Not sure if they would still be working, but maybe just out and about, or maybe not. Or maybe even back from vacation or something. We only know when the call came in, not the outcome, or when something did occur, if it did at all (false alarm, etc.)
Maybe the perp was looking for MT and just had the wrong address?

Correct. The final video of Mollie that <modsnipped> was taken the day before she disappeared. I think she was wearing a brown shirt and jean shorts? Looked like she was sitting on the floor and the person filmed her at a level that it could've been one of the camp kids using her or someone else's phone to film.

<mod fixed broken quote and unfounded speculation>

She’s actually wearing a tie dye pink/blue shirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of rumors floating around.

We do know that Mollie sent her mom a text around 7:30 P.M. on July 18th asking what was for dinner. NH saw Mollie running around 7:30 P.M. which makes sense because his home is very close by to DJ's home. Another person, RT says he saw Mollie walking from his window while watching television (I have never seen a time mentioned) and the latest known sighting of Mollie came from DR on E 2nd St. around 8:00 P.M.

We know that she was likely still wearing her jogging clothing and sneakers and had her arm band, cell phone, fitbit and earbuds with her.

The red shirt, Mollie returning back to the house, Mollie doing homework after the run, the dogs being well fed and watered - these are all items that haven't been substantiated AFAIK. They're interesting to theorize and look at but it seems like many are taking these items as fact.

You're missing a couple of other witness reports. DR saw her jogging on E Second St about 9:00 PM, DC was questioned due to Fitbit info passing his home about 10 PM on West St (near DJ & BJ's home).

Absolutely agree on labs eating any and all food left in a bowl or anywhere for that matter. In my experience the only time a lab won't immediate gobble down any food set in front of them is if they are very sick. In fact most vets will first ask a lab owner if their dog is eating as one of the first questions to try and figure out what is going on. It was due to the fact that most labs have wonderful appetites that I discounted this statement as being one to pacify the public about the status of the dogs as many were concerned and asking questions.
This depends on how the dogs were used to being fed. I keep my dogs’ bowls full of dry food at all times. (Similar size and weight to BJ’s dogs.) They eat when they are hungry and have always maintained their ideal weight. The exception to this is when I am not home. My dogs will not eat AT ALL when I am away from home, even if I’m gone for the entire day. The full bowls will sit there, then within 20 min of my arrival, they will eat like they are starving to death. There is no way to make an assumption about this without knowing the dogs’ personalities or patterns.

<snipped quoted post>
Honestly the first thought I had when I saw the video was that she was acting coquettish as a girl would if a guy was filming her. Not necessarily someone she liked or was interested in but someone she did not expect to or feel comfortable with filming her. I dismissed that when someone here said a girl had posted it. Has it been determined who in fact filmed it? I thought when her dad said someone may have misconstrued her intentions, that he was referring to this video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that came from me, i may have said track, but honestly i dont know the difference. All I know was she ran in high school but it was not anything she persued seriously. She ran for enjoyment.

Absolutely agree on labs eating any and all food left in a bowl or anywhere for that matter. In my experience the only time a lab won't immediate gobble down any food set in front of them is if they are very sick. In fact most vets will first ask a lab owner if their dog is eating as one of the first questions to try and figure out what is going on. It was due to the fact that most labs have wonderful appetites that I discounted this statement as being one to pacify the public about the status of the dogs as many were concerned and asking questions.
RBBM. I'm owned by a lab myself, and she typically doesn't hesitate to dig in either. The exceptions are if I'm about to leave the house or if something is happening that's out of her routine.

I agree with your point that the statement may have been more to calm people down than provide any real information, but if it's true that there was plenty of food and water, then either Mollie had taken care of the dogs recently (within a few hours), or they hadn't touched it from the night before. And if they hadn't touched it from the night before, perhaps it was that something happened out of the ordinary -- Mollie putting them up when they were used to being out with their people; someone different being in the house with Mollie (though I don't believe that to be the case).

In the grand scheme of what's known by the public, I think it's a very tiny thread, but weaving the tiny threads together might be enough to glimpse the bigger picture. Do we know the dogs' normal feeding times?

Maybe the perp was looking for MT and just had the wrong address?

Both houses are good-sized white houses, both houses are on a corner, both houses are on the same street. If somebody was given directions about were they thought she was staying, they might have been given not very detailed directions, or, they got confused. After a failed attempt, they laid low for a night.

It’s too bad we don’t know the outcome of that burglary call.

If there are and current, retired or former LE Officers on this thread - and assuming you've hadexperience with media/press related matters - would you please comment on wether MT's family and close friends (DJ, BJ, AH, etc.) would be coached and held to a tight script when talking to media/press?

It's my firm belief that they ARE definitely coached and held to a tight script, etc.

Would appreciate any insight.

I can't for the life of me think that LE says - just go out and use your best judgment when it comes to dealing with the media/press!!!!

There's a young woman's life in the balance here - and I can't imagine any scenario other than putting the fear into them that you need to follow this coaching/script or you could jeopardize MT's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member