Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
More than anything, the more isolated areas I thought were possible from map view (like Jackson street down by the high school) don't look so isolated in real life.

I understand it's hard for somebody like me to get in the "let's go snatch somebody" mindset, but trying to do that in Brooklyn I'm drawing a blank. The only areas I see that have any potential for that are out where nobody has mentioned and Mollie surely wouldn't be. For example, if there were any chance that she went West from the dogsitting house, 385th ave is a very isolated dirt road.

I'm not going to say she wasn't abducted, but I very strongly feel she got in a car willingly.

There was someone who suggested that she could have been taken in an outskirt area that was possibly part of her jog based on her routes/potential routes. I don't have a good grasp on the area. Is that plausible?

And do you have an opinion on when and from what location she got into a car?

More than anything, the more isolated areas I thought were possible from map view (like Jackson street down by the high school) don't look so isolated in real life.

I understand it's hard for somebody like me to get in the "let's go snatch somebody" mindset, but trying to do that in Brooklyn I'm drawing a blank. The only areas I see that have any potential for that are out where nobody has mentioned and Mollie surely wouldn't be. For example, if there were any chance that she went West from the dogsitting house, 385th ave is a very isolated dirt road.

I'm not going to say she wasn't abducted, but I very strongly feel she got in a car willingly.

I drove around Brooklyn last Sunday and reported that its a very small, quiet town, etc..

To me the only possibilities lie on the outskirts of town - once in town - although it may be small and quiet - you'd most likely be seen trying to abduct someone.

I never thought the road in front of the HSchool to be isolated - as others have - quite the opposite.

FWIW - I totally agree with your assessment!

Thanks for the information. I'm looking at the DOT map of the area and it says 990 cars drive past 2nd street and 170th street on the average a day. Thats the closest reading they have to the dogsitting house

I don’t know the law in Iowa.. but I cannot imagine LE making an arrest for her abduction/murder/kidnapping based off a Fitbit step count.. the need more.. a lot more. Maybe pressure is being applied appropriately, in the right place, and towards their POI.
I believe LE will find some physical evidence at some point but her digital footprint will be crucial evidence in supporting the charges.

There was a point in time when DNA was considered junk science. I believe we are close to relying on a digital footprint almost as much as we rely on DNA.

could it be possible that Mollie followed an injured animal, trying to catch it to help it and ended up deep in a cornfield or somewhere hard to access, then had a major asthma attack? I’m new on here & haven’t read all of the threads on Mollie yet, so don’t know if that theory has been mentioned.

She would have been found, if she has not been hidden, I think. They searched places along her known routes early on, I’m sure and the fields surrounding.

Last edited:
Ve

Veracity, Interesting about the construction job. I read on another site a few days or so ago about someone that suspected Mollie was abducted by a construction worker. Her boyfriend worked in construction. Maybe he had some friends in construction that ALSO knew Mollie. Maybe they also knew (via the boyfriend) that Mollie was going to be home alone that day (because her boyfriend ran his mouth to his friends). Maybe one of Mollie's boyfriend's friends (who worked construction with him) was also following her on social media because he was infatuated with her. Maybe Mollie also knew this guy because of course he was a friend of her boyfriend's and he also worked with him. Maybe since he is in construction he is no longer in the area. Maybe she trusted this guy (he showed up at her house), but something happened and it turned deadly. Or something along those lines.
I have thought this since day one, and I never heard a peep about any of the homeowners friends and family being ruled out.

Why would she get into someone's car willingly if she was jogging on her way to her mom's house to eat and collect the car? What would induce her to stop jogging to her mom's house?

I believe LE will find some physical evidence at some point but her digital footprint will be crucial evidence in supporting the charges.

There was a point in time when DNA was considered junk science. I believe we are close to relying on a digital footprint almost as much as we rely on DNA.

But you can’t tell if a person has bled, etc...via digital evidence. DNA will never not be needed, jmo.

There is a clear legal distinction between kidnapping and false imprisonment.

I believe she went with someone willingly but is/was being held against her will. Some might consider that kidnapping but the legal definition is clear that this would be false imprisonment.

I don't know how the Iowa statute reads, but--looking at this layman's language version--what you described above sounds like kidnapping to me.

Iowa Kidnapping/Abduction Laws. ... According to IowaCode § 710.1 a person commits kidnapping when the person either confines a person or removes a person from one place to another, without lawful authority and without the consent of the other to do so.
Iowa Kidnapping/Abduction Laws – ...
USLegal.com › kidnapping › iowa-kidna...

Thanks for the information. I'm looking at the DOT map of the area and it says 990 cars drive past 2nd street and 170th street on the average a day.
One way? Are the cars counted going in 1 direction only? Some could be repeats, going the opposite direction on the way back home.

could it be possible that Mollie followed an injured animal, trying to catch it to help it and ended up deep in a cornfield or somewhere hard to access, then had a major asthma attack? I’m new on here & haven’t read all of the threads on Mollie yet, so don’t know if that theory has been mentioned.

Welcome!

It's easy to visualize those corn leaves giving someone an asthma attack.

I think the big question would be--we seem to know that her phone was with her, so how could it not lead the searchers right to her? (And a corollary to that is--if it's really true that her phone/Fitbit signals were picked up, 10+ miles from town...how could that be?)

Hi,
I am new here. I am a technology professional and a bit of a hacker and technology forensic as well.
My thoughts are:
If they have MT's laptop and her phone was synced to a Google or an iCloud account (which nearly all phones are these days) then LE should have to all of the location information they would need to track MTs location up to the time she disappeared, especially if she was taking her phone on her runs, as many witnesses have claimed. Moreover, the back up of the phone should include all of the data files LE would need to read all of the messages that were on the phone when it was last backed up. That said, it seems that LE may be wasting time trying to obtain the Fitbit information via warrants when that same information is probably within an apple or Google account.

Browser and application use history would also be useful information to have. This would be useful in understanding MT's state of mind before the disappearance. I can't imagine she would have disappeared willingly without looking up something related to the topic of doing so.

I also wonder if they have checked the router logs from her boyfriend's house. At the very least that would give them an idea of the last time one of her devices was connected to the wifi network within the house and would, therefore, give them an idea of whether she was taken from the house or whether she disappeared during the run. Under ideal circumstances, the router data could give them browser history, password hashes, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong, but we don't know for sure that the last ping came from near WCs pig farm. That is speculation, correct?
Even if we were 100% certain of the last tower the phone pinged that doesn't necessarily give a highly accurate representation of her location, especially if we don't know the locations of other cell towers in the area.

Assuming:
-that the FBI has someone who is better at this stuff than me, and knowing that if I had MTs laptop, I would have been able to gather and analyze all of the aforementioned data within a timeframe of 1-5 days
- that RTs messaging to the public about "someone she knew took her" is strategic;
- that anyone who loves their dogs enough to hire a dogsitter for them wouldn't normally be keeping them in the basement with plenty of food and water. ( I feed my dog two times a day a rationed portion of food, because if I let him have access to unlimited amounts of food, he would eat himself into a gluttonous diabetic coma)
- that if she left her boyfriend's house after her run to walk to her mom's, she would have communicated that to her mom in some fashion.

My conclusion is that she was likely taken by someone who knew her from her bfs house and who she had interacted with at least a few times. This person likely knew her well enough to know that she would feel better about leaving the house if she knew the dogs would be fed if she did not return. He knew her well enough to know her routine and when she would be most vulnerable. I imagine this person stalked her, which means he would have had to possess the time to do so. I would guess that he is likely a divorced father, a college student, unemployed, disabled, retired, and/or someone whose profession it is to sit around in a car and wait for something to happen (LE) (no offense).
The absence of a crime scene tells me that his attack was planned out, and that this person is meticulous and organized, and would also lead me to believe that it is probable that he older than college age.
He probably owns a gun.
I believe he probably was knocked on the door while she was doing homework. He lied and said there was something he needed help with (ie. Flat tire). She let him in for a minute. He pulled a gun. She said, ok dont shoot, let me feed the dogs and I will go with you. He follows her downstairs. She feeds dogs. He tells her to get her phone. She gets phone. They get in his vehicle, he tells her to power off the phone, and they leave.

Hopefully she is being held somewhere and she is not dead. If I was LE, I would be looking at divorced dad's who occasionally picked their kids up from daycare, who own guns, and who have large properties with multiple structures on site or second properties where they could hold someone hostage without being discovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo