Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't get over LE not telling the public what to look out for. Did they not want to panic Brooklyn, Iowa? That they tell us the list now a month after the fact only puts them under more shade. They're *law enforcement*. I have a lot of respect for the courage & intelligence it takes to be LE. So, given the above, I can only conclude that the original POI(s) LE had did not pan out. --Either not pan out or still panning out, & this is strategic. What's the holes in my theory?? Where's any middle ground? Why did LE wait? Anyone?

How can LE possibly tell the public what to look out for in this case? LE aren't our nannys. Adults in Brooklyn need to engage in common sense measures to help ensure the safety of themselves and their families and these measures should continue because they really have nothing to do with Mollie. Lock doors, run in pairs, etc. It is a myth that violence only happens in large cities.

And did he say searched “abroad” maybe he means everywhere not necessarily another Country. But that’s what I think when I hear abroad.

The context was this county and abroad, so that suggests to me Poweshiek County and outside Poweshiek County.

It is unusual to hear someone use the word "abroad" without them meaning "another country", though. If he does another presser, I suggest listening carefully for him to use the word "afoot".

I don’t recall any physical evidence found at the McStay house. In fact it was difficult for the detective to get warrants because there was no evidence of a crime in the home upon his walkthrough. Also, LE never put crime tape up around the home while they were securing a warrant. Several days were lost. Family members were in and out of the home cleaning and removing what could have been evidence of a crime. Mistakes were made.
It sounds like we have different sources. There's certainly a lot written about the McStays and dozens of sources to choose from.
I read that blood spatter was all over the home .

So I had something happen yesterday that I thought I’d share. I stopped for gas, and a biker that had rode in on his Harley, approached me making small talk about the racks on top of my car. Asked, if I had a surf board (this is TN,) asked if I was a college student yada yada... I was friendly enough and obliging but really wanted to get the hell out of there. I give him a minute or two to make his small talk and then I left. That’s when it hit me. Being a female in the south, how many times have I ignored an instinct, just to be obliging or friendly? How many times, have I not wanted to be seen as rude, so I entertain conversation with someone I have no interest in talking to? How many other women do this on a frequent basis? I know I have numerous times and never really given it much of a thought. I wonder how many women have been harmed because they just didn’t want to come across as rude? I’m not saying this is the case with what happened to Mollie but this case has had me thinking for sure.

Absolutely LOVED your post! So insightful and so true. Girls are raised for the most part to be obliging. I recall all too well advice my mother offered me while I was HS - if a boy has the nerve and courage to ask you out you should have the courtesy to say yes. If I had just ignored that single bit of advice my entire life would have been so very very different!

In this day and age, I believe girls NEED to be more guarded, more aware, and just more honest - the trouble with the last one is if you are honest with the wrong sort you could suddenly find yourself in the crosshairs of danger.

I think it helps if we all do our best to help each other.

I really don't think they are going to find her until the harvest or hunting time. SharonNeedles' excellent videos show us that she could be anywhere. There is a lot of agricultural and wooded land that people are not walking through on a regular basis.

I am heartbroken for her family, friends, and DJ. I can't even bear to think about what actually happened that night.
Or, it may join the list...Maura, Amy, Natalee, Brian, Brandon, Lauren, thousands .. never found

I don't believe anyone is going to come forward, I think when/if this case is solved, it will be because the evidence showed up one day on its own time. Basically, the evidence will reveal itself.

I feel like this PC was the ultimate in admitting they were really no closer in knowing what happened. They seem to be still including all options. Nothing ruled out. Maybe WC. And the fit bit. Wherever that poor thing is, it is long drained of location-giving abilities. Maybe they even found that, but nothing else.

This is far fetched but...

question: could this map on the website be a roundabout way of finding a POI without issuing a grainy photo from a security camera that would freak him/her out and cause him/her to harm MT if she’s still with us (and/or freak out the public)?

Say LE has reason to believe (based on surveillance video or something) whoever did this washed their car that evening, and when they were there they saw someone they knew. I don’t get my car washed *that* often, so if I see someone I know when I go, I’ll remember that. Maybe they’re hoping someone will come forward and remember an interaction.

I don’t necessarily think MT was at all these locations on the map or that her phone pinged from all of them. I think they could be tracking someone/trying to figure out someone’s identity

(Yes I am an optimistic person)

How can LE possibly tell the public what to look out for in this case? LE aren't our nannys. Adults in Brooklyn need to engage in common sense measures to help ensure the safety of themselves and their families and these measures should continue because they really have nothing to do with Mollie. Lock doors, run in pairs, etc. It is a myth that violence only happens in large cities.
LE gave the list to increase the chance of catching who is responsible, bring Mollie home, & prevent the perp from doing this again. The list has nothing to do with the word, nor the concept, of "nanny".

<modsnipped against TOS> I base this opinion on timeline and those who could have obtained her digital credentials.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, the likelihood of a disorganized crime of opportunity being clean is far lower.
Absolutely. I was just pointing out that if someone was able to kidnap her while jogging, we’d potentially have the same scant details that we currently have.

@-9:45: "We're looking at all options, all possibilities, and we'll continue to do that..."

My ears perked up at the mention of "brave witnesses" coming forward. I definitely found the use of the word "brave" worth noting. Also, LE's appeals "any bystanders" was interesting. I got the strong impression that LE thinks there are residents not coming forward with useful information.

Sounds to me like they still do not have a solid working theory of what happened. IMO, they're casting about. My impression of this is only reinforced by the generic appeal issued in the pc that people call in if someone around them has changed their appearance, behavior, substance use, vehicle" etc., since July 18th. LE uses that exact same language in almost all unsolved crimes when they're casting a wide net hoping to get a useful tip. MO, the one thing that LE continues to sound at all confident about is their timeline of MT's movements. I wish I felt more hopeful that LE was much further along in their investigation than they're letting on, but that's not the vibe I'm getting. JMO and HIWAT. (HIWAT=Hope I'm Wrong About That)

Last edited by a moderator:
If this was done by a novice, such as a young obsessive guy connected to Mollie in some way, unless he's a sociopath he'd be shaking in his boots or would have gone off the grid for a while...noticeable by SOMEONE in his own circle of friends and acquaintances. I do believe the perp is someone more "comfortable", more capable of deception and guile.

Absolutely.

You can have a spur of the moment crime carried out with some planning.

A jilted BF or a current paramour could have apprehend her to 'just talk'. Things get emotional, and suddenly you have a spur of the moment crime of passion.

No blood etc? Everyone has a consensus she was in a vehicle. Strangulation is sudden, and without a blood trail. Only DNA traces unless someone finds more 'evidence'.
I stopped at a convenience store one night after a class. Afterward, I became aware that I was being followed. I drove through a cul de sac to make sure, then stopped at a well-lighted center, parked, and confronted the guy who'd been following me. (Stupid, I know. But I was within screaming distance of a well-visited convenience store.) He asked me out. I declined. I waited until he drove away. It was very, very scary. So I am not completely ruling out the possibility that a creepy stranger who stopped into Casey's for gas and snacks happened to spot Mollie on her run and followed her. It could have happened that way.

sounds like they believe she is deceased, and are focused on getting the perp

Jazz, I’m interested in your take. For whatever reason I got the distinct impression law enforcement thinks Molli is alive.

It sounds like we have different sources. There's certainly a lot written about the McStays and dozens of sources to choose from.
I read that blood spatter was all over the home .

Do you have a link for that information? You can message me the link. I don’t want to discuss the McStay case on Molly’s thread. I have followed that case for years and have never come across any MSM articles with that particular info. TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required