Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is horrible to consider, but might the Fitbit suddenly ceasing to record data be a clue to LE that MT might no longer be living?

I don’t think I have never seen a website like the gov site for Mollie. I think this, map and presser today show they are looking for someone/s who is watching social media.
This is just plain weird and I am a BON-I -FIED true crime addict.
Am I the only one who thinks this?

O/T: I’ve been awol from posting for quite a while. These cases are so depressing...sometimes I just need a break. Thank you to everyone for their hard work so we can have this amazing platform for discussions.
Praying for Mollie

Last edited:
According to findingmollie.iowa.gov:
"Individuals who commit violent crimes often exhibit behavior that is recognized by those with whom he lives, works, attends school, or is in an otherwise close relationship with. Often, someone in the community will unknowingly be associated with the offender, and may be in a position to observe behavioral changes in that person. They will recognize the change and may even question them about it, but will not relate the change to that person’s involvement in a crime. Since Wednesday, July 18, 2018, you may have noticed one or more of the following changes:
  • Change in normal routine, which might include missing school, work, or routine engagements without a plausible explanation;
  • A vehicle unexpectedly taken to a repair shop or sold/disposed of;
  • Unexpected or intensive cleaning of a vehicle, possibly at an unusual time of day;
  • Unexplained lack of contact or inability to get in touch with someone you know the evening of July 18th into the morning of July 19th;
  • Altering of physical appearance (growth or removal of facial hair, change in cut or color of hair);
  • Displays of anxiety, nervousness, stress or irritability;
  • Unexplained injuries;
  • Changes in consumption of alcohol, drugs or cigarettes;
  • Changes in sleep patterns;
  • Interest in the status of the investigation, including close attention to media coverage or an unwillingness to discuss the investigation."

Since "interest in the status of the investigation, including close attention to media coverage" is listed on the FBI Finding Mollie website, I think that it's reasonable to assume the perpetrator is closely following the case. Based on data regarding abductions of young women in their 20s, the perpetrator is likely to be male. All someone needs to do is Google "Mollie Tibbetts" and Websleuths will come up. In fact, many years ago before I officially joined the site, searching a specific case was exactly how I found Websleuths. I believe it was the Missy Bevers case, for me, that brought me here via Google search engine. Again, I personally do not think that it is wise to post, in detail, the specific strategy LE is using to track the perp down and how they can obtain the perpetrator's information. If the perp came across that information, it would only help him and not Mollie.

Today, I realized that there are an astonishing amount of cold case murders via likely stranger abduction in the Midwest. Otto's post also makes a lot of sense.

I plugged in Brooklyn, IA, Evansville, IA as well as Delphi, IN into Google Maps and they're all only within 7 hours from start-finish. Brooklyn-->Evansville is only about an hour. I just think it is very interesting given these are all relatively recent abductions that occurred with victims in similar environments, being that they were all outside.

View attachment 142043
We're you also thinking Abby and Lizzy?

LE probably have hours and hours of CCTV footage; what they could release is some footage; even if it's just a small piece of footage with Mollie in it (happens all the time in the UK). That would help jog peoples memory.

In the UK we've probably got more CCTV cameras then people; actually it's some silly ratio.

This is horrible to consider, but might the Fitbit suddenly ceasing to record data be a clue to LE that MT might no longer be living?
Not necessarily. As soon as the phone was disabled, the Fitbit was rendered useless (per my understanding). So her Fitbit ceasing to broadcast doesn't mean she died then and there.

LE probably have hours and hours of CCTV footage; what they could release is some footage; even if it's just a small piece of footage with Mollie in it (happens all the time in the UK). That would help jog peoples memory.
They do that here, but a town like Brooklyn Iowa, isn't going to have the CCTV coverage of a more populated area. There isn't a camera on every street corner, so it's possible that they simply don't have anything to release.

not necessarily. if your phone loses signal, your fitbit will not be able to sync to the fitbit server. if your phone dies, your fitbit won't sync. if your fitbit gets too wet, it can quit. your fitbit can run out of juice and quit. if your fitbit gets separated from you cell phone and you aren't by your PC, it won't sync. not syncing doesn't mean the fitbit won't record anything, just that nobody will be able read what it has recorded until it is synced. I am not one to carry my cell much unless I am traveling, so I mostly just manually sync to my PC.

I'm not sure why it took this long to hit me, but shouldn't LE know by now when MT sent the SC and where she was at the time? I may be wrong about how things work, but I'm guessing that their warrants would show them all activity from her phone, and the time it took place, and the GPS should show where the phone was at that time (within a reasonable distance.) What I don't understand is why they thought her mother would know if she was in a house at 9:45 pm unless her GPS showed that she was very close to home at that time.

My specialties were more computers and networking, and I'm not real up on all the nuances of phones. Am I expecting too much from the information they can get, or is there something odd about that whole thing? I don't believe she was at her mother's house at that time, but is it likely that she was somewhere close by? TIA

With all due respect and I fully include myself in here, no one is posting ideas or methods that LE hasn't already likely done or considered. I doubt any perpetrator is figuring out his next moves based on what we post on a message board.

But... if any perpetrator uses any defenses I have proposed on here at trial, please cite appropriately: Alethea, Esq., Websleuths Bar Admission #714

They do that here, but a town like Brooklyn Iowa, isn't going to have the CCTV coverage of a more populated area. There isn't a camera on every street corner, so it's possible that they simply don't have anything to release.

CCTV comes from various sources, residential, vehicle etc.

I'm not sure why it took this long to hit me, but shouldn't LE know by now when MT sent the SC and where she was at the time? I may be wrong about how things work, but I'm guessing that their warrants would show them all activity from her phone, and the time it took place, and the GPS should show where the phone was at that time (within a reasonable distance.) What I don't understand is why they thought her mother would know if she was in a house at 9:45 pm unless her GPS showed that she was very close to home at that time.

My specialties were more computers and networking, and I'm not real up on all the nuances of phones. Am I expecting too much from the information they can get, or is there something odd about that whole thing? I don't believe she was at her mother's house at that time, but is it likely that she was somewhere close by? TIA
I think Mollie had a laptop. She could have sent the SC from her laptop instead of her phone.

Where would the best CCTV be? An ATM maybe, a bank. Is there a bank in Brooklyn?

CCTV comes from various sources, residential, vehicle etc.
Absolutely, but the area is sparsely populated and you're not going to have a great deal of video footage. In a town that doesn't lock it's doors, you're probably not going to have a great deal of houses or cars equipped with cameras either.

According to findingmollie.iowa.gov:
"Individuals who commit violent crimes often exhibit behavior that is recognized by those with whom he lives, works, attends school, or is in an otherwise close relationship with. Often, someone in the community will unknowingly be associated with the offender, and may be in a position to observe behavioral changes in that person. They will recognize the change and may even question them about it, but will not relate the change to that person’s involvement in a crime. Since Wednesday, July 18, 2018, you may have noticed one or more of the following changes:
  • Change in normal routine, which might include missing school, work, or routine engagements without a plausible explanation;
  • A vehicle unexpectedly taken to a repair shop or sold/disposed of;
  • Unexpected or intensive cleaning of a vehicle, possibly at an unusual time of day;
  • Unexplained lack of contact or inability to get in touch with someone you know the evening of July 18th into the morning of July 19th;
  • Altering of physical appearance (growth or removal of facial hair, change in cut or color of hair);
  • Displays of anxiety, nervousness, stress or irritability;
  • Unexplained injuries;
  • Changes in consumption of alcohol, drugs or cigarettes;
  • Changes in sleep patterns;
  • Interest in the status of the investigation, including close attention to media coverage or an unwillingness to discuss the investigation."

Since "interest in the status of the investigation, including close attention to media coverage" is listed on the FBI Finding Mollie website, I think that it's reasonable to assume the perpetrator is closely following the case. Based on data regarding abductions of young women in their 20s, the perpetrator is likely to be male. All someone needs to do is Google "Mollie Tibbetts" and Websleuths will come up. In fact, many years ago before I officially joined the site, searching a specific case was exactly how I found Websleuths. I believe it was the Missy Bevers case, for me, that brought me here via Google search engine. Again, I personally do not think that it is wise to post, in detail, the specific strategy LE is using to track the perp down and how they can obtain the perpetrator's information. If the perp came across that information, it would only help him and not Mollie.
That's kinda the whole point of this site isn't it? Playing detective and trying to figure out who may have done it and how to catch them? Also, I'm confused. How are the people that come to this page going to know "the specific strategy" LE is using? We're all just speculating and guessing. Even PIs or ex-cops that come to this page aren't privy to all the information the LE team investigating this case has. All we can do is guess. We're not giving the perp any more ideas than he has possibly already gotten from CSI or Columbo. MOO.

Where would the best CCTV be? An ATM maybe, a bank. Is there a bank in Brooklyn?
I'm not sure. Most commercial buildings likely. Just going by the footage provided by SharonNeedles, I don't have a great deal of optimism that there's a great deal of video to work with. Atleast clear video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody