Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOO If I go off the theory that this was a regional local who was a stranger to MT (or at least not a close acquaintance), and the first two red dots are related to his whereabouts vs. hers, then I begin the trail at the red dot near bf's house, where I believe she was taken. I've mapped the route from there, as has been discussed a few times before, with the ending being at the pig farm, not the last red dot. (See map: red is route with MT, yellow is perp's route home, black Xs are red dots from LE map)

Now, here's a couple ideas (IMO):

1) The route is rural and specific, and while I don't necessarily think it was planned, I do think the drive is familiar to the perp. Maybe he is also a creature of habit and is more comfortable in locations he already knows. (As I noted yesterday, the northern red dot on V21 used to have a stand of trees and a silo on the northwest corner, which has been converted to cropland at some point (can be seen from various views on bing maps - don't know if this is important).

2) If this was an opportunistic event, then the perp already had a reason to be on that route within Brooklyn between the truck stop and car wash. Basing off the time of day, I'd guess it's his route home from work, which means he lives to the north. V18 to Hwy 6 seems like an obvious possibility. From there he could head any direction to any neighboring town or rural property.

3) If he does live to the north, then I think heading south for the crime suggests he does not want to do it near home. If he left MT near the pig farm (maybe around 9:45pm) (with crimes happening along the V21 route - abandoned buildings at southern red dot), I don't think he'd back track, I think he'd get out the quickest way, which would be to jump onto hwy 21. If he's going to head home, then going north on hwy 21 would take him right back to hwy 6 (without having to go back through Brooklyn).

4) Moo I think he was scared/freaked out, not bold. He wanted to go home unseen, but fast, thus taking the hwy.

5) I don't think he bothered one bit worrying about fitbits and cell phones. I think they are still on her. I think if the cell phone suddenly died it was because it got wet.

6) One consideration: Perhaps LE has stated that the community is not in danger because they already have the perp in custody- on another, unrelated charge. Something to get him in on. Maybe this happened sometime between PCs. Now they are trying to gather as much evidence, witnesses, etc. to build a case against him so that the formal charge sticks. Maybe this is wishful thinking.
MOO If I go off the theory that this was a regional local who was a stranger to MT (or at least not a close acquaintance), and the first two red dots are related to his whereabouts vs. hers, then I begin the trail at the red dot near bf's house, where I believe she was taken. I've mapped the route from there, as has been discussed a few times before, with the ending being at the pig farm, not the last red dot. (See map: red is route with MT, yellow is perp's route home, black Xs are red dots from LE map)

1) The route is rural and specific, and while I don't necessarily think it was planned, I do think the drive is familiar to the perp. Maybe he is also a creature of habit and is more comfortable in locations he already knows. (As I noted yesterday, the northern red dot on V21 used to have a stand of trees and a silo on the northwest corner, which has been converted to cropland at some point (can be seen from various views on bing maps - don't know if this is important).

2) If this was an opportunistic event, then the perp already had a reason to be on that route within Brooklyn between the truck stop and car wash. Basing off the time of day, I'd guess it's his route home from work, which means he lives to the north. V18 to Hwy 6 seems like an obvious possibility. From there he could head any direction to any neighboring town or rural property.

3) If he does live to the north, then I think heading south for the crime suggests he does not want to do it near home. If he left MT near the pig farm (maybe around 9:45pm) (with crimes happening along the V21 route - abandoned buildings at southern red dot), I don't think he'd back track, I think he'd get out the quickest way, which would be to jump onto hwy 21. If he's going to head home, then going north on hwy 21 would take him right back to hwy 6 (without having to go back through Brooklyn).

4) Moo I think he was scared/freaked out, not bold. He wanted to go home unseen, but fast, thus taking the hwy.

5) I don't think he bothered one bit worrying about fitbits and cell phones. I think they are still on her. I think if the cell phone suddenly died it was because it got wet.

6) One consideration: Perhaps LE has stated that the community is not in danger because they already have the perp in custody- on another, unrelated charge. Something to get him in on. Maybe this happened sometime between PCs. Now they are trying to gather as much evidence, witnesses, etc. to build a case against him so that the formal charge sticks. Maybe this is wishful thinking.

Her phone is an iPhone 7, it's water resistant .apple states that it will work at a depth of 1meter for 30 minutes.

I understand where Otto is coming from and technically speaking he’s correct, but personally speaking I don’t believe LE would be using nuanced words when they’re making an appeal to the general public. The very fact that there’s been some back and forth here illustrates to me at least that the general population would take its more literal meaning.

Even if you take it at it's literal meaning it's still something to note that a social 20 year old girl with many friends did not have any communication with anyone after starting her jog.

One factor that strongly supports the argument that they area unrelated is they are something like 8 hours apart.
He could be the exception that proves the rule. If he was late teens, early 20s with Evansdale, he's still quite young in July, 2018. I can't see 8 hours interfering with a SK trolling a bit farther from home.

And if he's responsible for both (or more) we can start to pinpoint a homestead for him. Unless he's too smart for us. Unless he knows about geographic profiling. Unless he lives far away from Iowa.

What really bothers me with the points on the police map is that it looks like a circle. I just don't see somebody grabbing her and circling back to where it all happened within a two hour timeframe (8pm-10pm). I would think they would want to stay as far away from the crime scene as possible.

The only way that might make sense is if she was with someone she knew. If they're driving around together, at that point there is no crime, so there wouldn't be a need to flee.

That is what sense to me too. The time frame is very long. As if she was with someone she knew goofing around town, smoking a joint, drinking, or whatever.

Last edited:
I think that's the reason why there is so much attention on Mollie's disappearance - there's nothing about Mollie or anyone she knows that explains her disappearance. After a month where all the usual suspects have been excluded, the only remaining possibility is a stranger abduction.
I agree with this statement. IMO, it is a stranger abduction. Here we are four weeks missing and the amount of manpower, LE & FBI, is still aggressively working this case. IMO, if LE had a local suspect and were simply just collecting evidence for prosecution, this heavy presence of LE wouldn't still be in Brooklyn. IMO LE or FBI knew early on that there was a serious event happening with Mollie. I just have to wonder what that is, I think they found something that connects this case to others.

It is easy to see some similarities to the Evansville girls case. Now, I am at a point where I would like to look at where the Evansville girls and/or Delphi girls are different. I would like to find discrepancies to disprove the connection between the girls and MT. This is just an exercise in trying to look at the case from a different angle.
Evansville girls missing July 13, 2012
Delphi girls missing Feb 13, 2017
MT missing July 18, 2018
I am not even sure where to start. I did follow along in Lizzie and Lyric's case closely but my memory isn't all that sharp!

Many times (I've read) Sks have a contact in person with their target, one contact minimum, before striking (they strike at a later date after that initial contact). So where did he & Mollie meet, provided they did? Can we find any commonalities between the Evansdale girls & Mollie?

I think these are good questions. IMO the predator did not need to have seen or known Mollie at all, perhaps he was or had been hunting for days. Lizzie and Lyric were reported missing July 13, 2012. Is July a coincidence?

Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins
Feral writer, Were you here for Lizzie and Lyrics case? You might appreciate going through some of those threads, a lot of experienced and bright minds were wracking their brains on the Evansville girls missing case. I think there are similarities, right down to a point where there was a pig farmer being looked at. I don't want to distract from Mollie or go off down a rabbit hole though!
Mollie come home!
Just morning thoughts. JMO

MOO If I go off the theory that this was a regional local who was a stranger to MT, and the first two red dots are related to his whereabouts vs. hers, then I begin the trail at the red dot near bf's house, where I believe she was taken. I've mapped the route from there, as has been discussed a few times before, with the ending being at the pig farm, not the last red dot. (See map: red is route with MT, yellow is perp's route home, black Xs are red dots from LE map)

6) One consideration: Perhaps LE has stated that the community is not in danger because they already have the perp - on another, lesser charge. Something to get him in on. Maybe this happened sometime between PCs. Now they are trying to gather as much evidence, witnesses, etc. to build a case against him so that the formal charge sticks. Maybe this is wishful thinking.

This is a superb breakdown of the possibilities. I'm going to copy and save it, if that is OK with you. Building off your ideas:

1) The two farmland areas scream "known to the perp" to me as well. I don't see someone completely unfamiliar to the area turning off on the gravel roads in those areas. Like I pointed out yesterday, gravel roads are noisy, suggesting to me that the perp knew where he was going and how remote it was, and that the likelihood that he would be seen would be very small.

2) I'm not ruling out opportunistic, but I find it more difficult to assume that the perp arbitrarily picked up Mollie and then came up with the idea to take her to/through one or the other remote areas. (I always come back to 'why those two areas'?)

3) I want to explore the 'living to the north' idea a bit more. Most of use are assuming that the area near the truck stop is relevant because the perp entered town from there. But it could simply be that someone thought s/he saw Mollie there.

4) Spot on. He was and is scared spitless.

5) Spot on. Many here are assuming that the perp went to great lengths to dispose of Mollie's electronics. This doesn't always happen in criminal situations.

6) Interesting thought. I think LE has a list and has not narrowed it down to a particular individual as yet. Maybe they're going in the other direction and ruling people out. I hope they've dumped the cell towers. That would narrow the possibilities down to all numbers pinging the towers between 5PM and 10PM. However, we don't know if the perp had a cell phone with him and whether it was on. It would be tedious work to eliminate all of the possibilities, but this is Brooklyn, IA, not Brooklyn, NY, and I think it could be done with enough people working on it.
All MOO

Probably because you've never looked. Have you ever checked the air pressure on an inside dual? Major PITA, and on a semi you'd have to do it 8 times, plus squatting down to check the other tires 10 times. And experienced driver can tell whether a tire is low or not by whacking it with a stick which is quick and easy, if one seems a little off they can then grab the gauge to get an accurate reading.

Most trucks trailers have a gauge extension on them to reduce the bending and kneeling. They are the first things that come off when you have to change a tire.

The likely jogging route based on the spots where LE wants to get tips about has extremely isolated ones - specifically those that are right after her last known sighting. SharonNeedles' videos confirm this - it would be easy for a perp to flag MT down or at least pull their car in front of her to slow her and nobody would ever see. It's also possible she never heard the perp coming since she had her earbuds and was presumably listening to music while jogging. If I have the volume over a very low level when I jog, it's almost impossible to hear most anything around me.

If MT was taken involuntarily, I find it likely that the perp flagged or slowed her down. Possibly by asking for directions, can you help me with [X], etc. Something to get her guard temporarily down so perp could strike and she then had no time to react. MT is a very athletic girl who in theory could outrun a perp on foot or at least get far enough away to scream for help or use her cell phone. All indications are she had no time to do this.

She wasn't a fast runner, nor someone large.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico