Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather a disappointing article. She "may have" been home. Or her computer was left on when she went for her run.
All this time it never dawn on me it was a laptop. I always assumed it was a desktop with an Ethernet connection.

Does anyone with fitbit experience know if you can take it off your wrist and put it on someone else's? And what happens, can it sync to the same program or does it reset or? Thanks in advance.
The Fitbit is not customized to your wrist, so anyone can wear it. It will sync the same program if it is near the cell where the app resides.

Putting aside the meaning of "communications," I think LE could have been mistaken early on.

Here's a scenario: Mollie may have logged into various programs on her computer before she went for her run, and when LE spoke to different people they may have said they logged into the programs at XYZ time and saw Mollie was online. For example, Mollie says she can't go out with her friend because she has to write a paper. Mollie is on Facebook before her run, and her chat status is active. She leaves to run, never comes back. Her friend logs on to FB at 11pm and notices Mollie's chat status is "active." That friend might have honestly and truthfully testified to LE that Mollie said she was staying home to do homework and she was online at 11pm.

Later, when Mollie's computer is forensically investigated, they may have seen that the last activity was actually at 7pm. They believed the initial reports, and the person was being truthful, but the digital evidence did not support it. Based on the evidence, LE may not be able to identify any verifiable message sent or received after she was seen by witnesses (or on camera) on her run.
Well, maybe. But I think it's common knowledge that a green FB online light for chat doesn't mean the person is literally sitting right there at the computer. I guess I thought it was common knowledge. If it's not, the owners of WS may think I literally never sleep, as I have this page open on my computer 24/7....

In a further intriguing clue, investigators are believed to have found evidence Mollie had been using her MacBook Pro laptop on the BBM evening of July 18.

Calderwood said that a look at the internet history after it was retrieved from Jack's house suggested Mollie had been working on a homework assignment for her Roman Civilization class.

However, she warned that it was unclear exactly when the laptop was used and cautioned against drawing any firm conclusions.

I have felt since early on in this case that MT most likely got into a vehicle voluntarily, with someone she was at least somewhat acquainted with, but since the last press conference, I am beginning to move more in the direction of a stranger abduction, or an abduction (versus voluntary leaving) by someone she had some familiarity with, and I also now believe it was during her evening run. JMO

That may be it, especially with her dad’s talk in the media of someone mistaking her nicety as something more.

On the other hand, the kidnapper might have been the sort to have seen her running by (perhaps more than once) and made the unfortunate decision to capture her. I do have hope that if either circumstance is the case, it means she is alive.

Either way, the kidnapper may have to leave from time to time, for work, or to get supplies. In situations like this, many times neighbors think he seemed so normal, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

For those neighbors, it might be helpful for them to think about odd encounters with a neighbor, and privacy barriers being established, especially if offers for get togethers were brushed off. IMO.

Last edited:
I wonder if she logs into her U of Iowa network (for lack of a better term), how long it takes for it to automatically logout. Could it be something as simple as MT logged into to do homework, did not log out of the online U if I system, and after 30 min or 1 or 2 hours it automatically logged out? Perhaps someone saw that and initially thought the ‘logging out’ was Mollie, but quickly realized after looking into it/talking to U of I that it was automatic? Maybe that is why we heard for a day or so that she was doing homework after the jog and then it seemed it wasn’t the case?

Good call. This exact same point was discussed up-chain some 15 or 20 threads ago. The point was made about how CANVAS (the data management software (or some clone of it) that was used at UI) worked. Issues about auto-logout (AND how it dosen't) were raised. - e.g. if MT started a log in session before she went on a run, but did not log out, how long would the system allow one to stay loged on without keystroking. The consensus seemed to be that it might be a long while before the system would log you out (OR an administrator had to), as other users of the system said that one could log on and ride the system, without doing any work, in an attempt to fool their professor into thinking they were logging in classwork hours while goofing off.
Also, someone with a tech background raised the possibility that MT's computer's internal clock could have been enough out of sync with real local time (apparently a common occurance), so that to an inexperienced examiner of her computer it might appear that she was working much later than she actually was. He pointed out that he constantly has to adjust for this when documenting transferred files.

This info about MT working late at home on her computer, after her run, came out very early in the investigation. It was reported to have been leaked by members of Ames, IA LE to MSM. This BEFORE DJ's neighbor reported to the MSM about seeing MT jog past, and seeming to confirm the earlier LE leaks from Ames that MT had been working "into the late evening" on her computer, via a LE leak of this info to him. It appears that, at that point in time, some element of LE believed that this was true.

It is entirely possible that later forensic analysis of MT's computer (by the FBI - the reason they were brought in) along with logs from UI's CANVAS management system and logs from DJ's brother's home router, may have shown that MT did NOT work on her computer past 7:30, when it seems that most (and LE) reports are confident that she was out running. So all of this concern about her returning home, after her run and working late on her computer may just be a big, fat nothing burger!

What LE HAS definitly told us is that she was last seen running at 7:30, and that they aren't concerned with what happened after 10:00 pm. This tells us that this is the 2.5 hour window in which LE feels she was taken. Her runs are reported to have lasted about 45 minutes. She should have been finished with her run, and been at her mom's house or DJ's, no later than 8:30 p.m. If she were taken on her run, this is a 1 to 1.5 hour window in which she could have been taken, 7:30 to 9:00 p.m. Sunset that day was at 8:41 p.m., and you would have been required to put your car headlights on after 9:11 p.m. after the end of civilian twilight; so it was still light out. So, if she was taken on her run, it was likely before 8:30 p.m.; before she could reach her mom's home and have dinner, and pick up the car and a red work shirt for work the next day.

BUT, suppose she had a Eurika moment about her classwork, and ran to DJ's house to record this moment of epiphany. Suppose she made it home and did sit down with the keyboard, without taking off her sweaty running gear, armband, phone, et al; being in the moment and typed out her great revelation without letting out the already fed and watered dogs (this having been done before her run, said dogs not having been let out as she was caught up in the moment; or the dogs having been let out and then put back up before the following happened)

1) MT said "Oh darn, I need the car and a shirt for work, gotta run over to Mom's, and was taken/abducted on a late night run/walk, in the dark, before 10:00 pm; by which time LE tells us the purp was done with the abduction, and gone from greater Brooklyn. This could also account for her sending a SC at 9:45, just before she went out the door, accounting for the LE question about MT being in a house at this time.

2) The above combined with some variant of a knock on the door after her run, but before her shower while she was still in her running gear (remember MT's Mom said they have not found her used running gear or phone, et al), and she was persuaded to step outside and was taken, or was persuaded to "go for a ride" in her sweaty clothes. Personally, I'm sticking with the guy from Publisher's Clearing House with a check for a million dollars; this explains why DCI said they had searched 'abroad'. From my mouth to God's ear that MT is sitting on a beach in Aruba drinking a daiquiri, but I don't think so. At any rate, whatever happened, LE is telling us that it was done and the perp was out of the area by 10:00 p.m.

3) Something else happened - at this point alien abduction is looking better and better.

At any rate, these are my thoughts on the matter and I'm sticking with this until something better comes along.

MOO

This is just saying that the last time she was seen was jogging and the rest of the sentence is open to some interpretation. LE don't know or won't say if she made it back to the house but she could have IMO.
BBM

It's right on the Finding Mollie web site.

https://findingmollie.iowa.gov

"On Wednesday, July 18, 2018, Mollie Tibbetts was last seen jogging in Brooklyn, Iowa in the evening hours. There have been no credible sightings of, or communications with, Mollie since that time."[/QUOTE

Darn work has gotten in the way of me being able to follow this thread but when did Mollie's last seen clothes description change? On page 1 on this thread, the clothes description is denim shorts and red t-shirt. I thought it was pink sport bra and black capris. TIA.

The Fitbit is not customized to your wrist, so anyone can wear it. It will sync the same program if it is near the cell where the app resides.
Can a perp take off someone's FitBit and wear it? So as to make it look like the person is still alive?

This is just saying that the last time she was seen was jogging and the rest of the sentence is open to some interpretation. LE don't know or won't say if she made it back to the house but she could have IMO.

I never said it did. You said in your post that you couldn't find the quote from LE about communication and I directed you to it.

Putting aside the meaning of "communications," I think LE could have been mistaken early on.

Here's a scenario: Mollie may have logged into various programs on her computer before she went for her run, and when LE spoke to different people they may have said they logged into the programs at XYZ time and saw Mollie was online. For example, Mollie says she can't go out with her friend because she has to write a paper. Mollie is on Facebook before her run, and her chat status is active. She leaves to run, never comes back. Her friend logs on to FB at 11pm and notices Mollie's chat status is "active." That friend might have honestly and truthfully testified to LE that Mollie said she was staying home to do homework and she was online at 11pm.

Later, when Mollie's computer is forensically investigated, they may have seen that the last activity was actually at 7pm. They believed the initial reports, and the person was being truthful, but the digital evidence did not support it. Based on the evidence, LE may not be able to identify any verifiable message sent or received after she was seen by witnesses (or on camera) on her run.
GREAT INSIGHT! I was looking for a way around that.

Darn work has gotten in the way of me being able to follow this thread but when did Mollie's last seen clothes description change? On page 1 on this thread, the clothes description is denim shorts and red t-shirt. I thought it was pink sport bra and black capris. TIA.

I am guessing that the initial thought is that she went missing on her way to work the next morning (because at first the red shirt that she had to wear for work the next day - for a field trip- could not be located). Thus the denim shorts and the red shirt.

It seems that later 2 of Mollie’s red shirts were located at her mother’s house. The last sighting and communication was the night before. She was last seen on her jog and I believe that her jogging clothing, phone, wristband for phone, and earbuds were missing. Thus, they seem to believe she went missing the evening before while wearing her jogging clothes.

Good call. This exact same point was discussed up-chain some 15 or 20 threads ago. The point was made about how CANVAS (the data management software (or some clone of it) that was used at UI) worked. Issues about auto-logout (AND how it dosen't) were raised. - e.g. if MT started a log in session before she went on a run, but did not log out, how long would the system allow one to stay loged on without keystroking. The consensus seemed to be that it might be a long while before the system would log you out (OR an administrator had to), as other users of the system said that one could log on and ride the system, without doing any work, in an attempt to fool their professor into thinking they were logging in classwork hours while goofing off.
Also, someone with a tech background raised the possibility that MT's computer's internal clock could have been enough out of sync with real local time (apparently a common occurance), so that to an inexperienced examiner of her computer it might appear that she was working much later than she actually was. He pointed out that he constantly has to adjust for this when documenting transferred files.

This info about MT working late at home on her computer, after her run, came out very early in the investigation. It was reported to have been leaked by members of Ames, IA LE to MSM. This BEFORE DJ's neighbor reported to the MSM about seeing MT jog past, and seeming to confirm the earlier LE leaks from Ames that MT had been working "into the late evening" on her computer, via a LE leak of this info to him. It appears that, at that point in time, some element of LE believed that this was true.

It is entirely possible that later forensic analysis of MT's computer (by the FBI - the reason they were brought in) along with logs from UI's CANVAS management system and logs from DJ's brother's home router, may have shown that MT did NOT work on her computer past 7:30, when it seems that most (and LE) reports are confident that she was out running. So all of this concern about her returning home, after her run and working late on her computer may just be a big, fat nothing burger!

What LE HAS definitly told us is that she was last seen running at 7:30, and that they aren't concerned with what happened after 10:00 pm. This tells us that this is the 2.5 hour window in which LE feels she was taken. Her runs are reported to have lasted about 45 minutes. She should have been finished with her run, and been at her mom's house or DJ's, no later than 8:30 p.m. If she were taken on her run, this is a 1 to 1.5 hour window in which she could have been taken, 7:30 to 9:00 p.m. Sunset that day was at 8:41 p.m., and you would have been required to put your car headlights on after 9:11 p.m. after the end of civilian twilight; so it was still light out. So, if she was taken on her run, it was likely before 8:30 p.m.; before she could reach her mom's home and have dinner, and pick up the car and a red work shirt for work the next day.

BUT, suppose she had a Eurika moment about her classwork, and ran to DJ's house to record this moment of epiphany. Suppose she made it home and did sit down with the keyboard, without taking off her sweaty running gear, armband, phone, et al; being in the moment and typed out her great revelation without letting out the already fed and watered dogs (this having been done before her run, said dogs not having been let out as she was caught up in the moment; or the dogs having been let out and then put back up before the following happened)

1) MT said "Oh darn, I need the car and a shirt for work, gotta run over to Mom's, and was taken/abducted on a late night run/walk, in the dark, before 10:00 pm; by which time LE tells us the purp was done with the abduction, and gone from greater Brooklyn. This could also account for her sending a SC at 9:45, just before she went out the door, accounting for the LE question about MT being in a house at this time.

2) The above combined with some variant of a knock on the door after her run, but before her shower while she was still in her running gear (remember MT's Mom said they have not found her used running gear or phone, et al), and she was persuaded to step outside and was taken, or was persuaded to "go for a ride" in her sweaty clothes. Personally, I'm sticking with the guy from Publisher's Clearing House with a check for a million dollars; this explains why DCI said they had searched 'abroad'. From my mouth to God's ear that MT is sitting on a beach in Aruba drinking a daiquiri, but I don't think so. At any rate, whatever happened, LE is telling us that it was done and the perp was out of the area by 10:00 p.m.

3) Something else happened - at this point alien abduction is looking better and better.

At any rate, these are my thoughts on the matter and I'm sticking with this until something better comes along.

MOO
Nice. *dingdingding pick up your check* Post of the day.

"This could also account for her sending a SC at 9:45, just before she went out the door," Does anyone remember DJ's characterizing that last snap as a goodnight type communique? Like, she was saying goodnight? If so, it very well might have been sent to DJ 9:45pm, no? We only know for a fact the snap was not sent post-ten p.m.

I remember that as well, and why it’s all so confounding. No fault of anyone because that is very well a description of what she would wear to work, and possibly the clothes she was wearing when her brother dropped her off earlier. I think later its clear she was home, changed into her running attire, if that helps. But who knows?

I am riding the fence on whether MT was specifically targeted or she was just randomly selected b/c she was in the wrong place at the wrong time and crossed paths with the wrong person. There are many, many abductions that occur where the person is quickly missed and sadly, it makes no difference to the outcome. To give one example with some case similarities: Sierah Joughin was missed almost immediately when she didn't show up back home riding her bike back from her bf's house. Her bf had even ridden partway home with her on her motorcycle, and it was in just that short window of time and that short distance that she was attacked. IMO, MT was taken on her jog/while she was outside of the home, which makes it just as likely in my mind that MT was a victim of an opportunistic stranger as an acquaintance. If she was taken from the home vs. away from the home, then I would lean toward it being an acquaintance.

I don't disagree with much of your assessment, but we also have to keep in mind that she may have left the house with someone voluntarily - perhaps even planned - and then it ended badly.

JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members