Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why has no one considered that this could have been a classmate. I just can't see how someone locally nabbed her and there no clues in this town. People talk in a town like this, there is nothing to do. Do they even have a movie theatre? I surmise she was taken ou of the area, (I
don't know how far) and dumped. When you are from an area like that you are very often naive, which means that she probably didn't see this coming at all.

Does anyone with fitbit experience know if you can take it off your wrist and put it on someone else's? And what happens, can it sync to the same program or does it reset or? Thanks in advance.

I mean I don't think it is a person in her inner circle . Not someone she knew.

It could be someone who lives near by.

Not necessarily a stranger to the general area, but someone she did not know.

Someone she had no connection to.
Ah, that kind of stranger, a local not known to Mollie. In that case, I somewhat agree. I think it is someone local to the area. Maybe it's a friend of a friend, an acquaintance, or a neighbor. Pure speculation and MOO

SPECULATION follows:

Maybe MT's abduction was not about MT at all, maybe it was about DJ or her immediate family. Does DJ or her family members have any enemies? A jealous acquaintance or friend? This possibility could pull in many directions.

I had that thought early on. That maybe the perp wasn’t interested in MT but in DJs brothers fiancée and was doing something crazy to try and stop/stall the trip to the Dominican Republic, in effect stopping the wedding.

Seems less likely now, as this goes on longer and longer

Why has no one considered that this could have been a classmate. I just can't see how someone locally nabbed her and there no clues in this town. People talk in a town like this, there is nothing to do. Do they even have a movie theatre? I surmise she was taken ou of the area, (I
don't know how far) and dumped. When you are from an area like that you are very often naive, which means that she probably didn't see this coming at all.

It is not that it hasn't been considered, we can't sleuth people who are not POI's or named suspects.

Does anyone with fitbit experience know if you can take it off your wrist and put it on someone else's? And what happens, can it sync to the same program or does it reset or? Thanks in advance.
I had a Vivofit and I don't think it would "know" it was on another wrist. When you first get a device like that you have to measure your step length and that reading alone would be different if it was reading someone else, but not different in a way that would be notable to someone looking at the readings. If that makes sense.

I interpret the word "communication" to mean all forms of communication, which include conversations, phone calls, text messages, emails (which traditionally use a computer), social media apps (such as WhatsApp), and [A] other computer or digital communications. I don't think "communication" means coursework, I think communication includes the use of a digital device such as a cell phone (essentially a portable computer) and a computer.

[B] Logging into an online course means creating an open communication between a personal device, such as a cell phone, ipad, tablet, laptop, etc. and the local server at the university (or other learning institution). Why would we assume that no communication means no cell phone, no conversation, no ipad, no text message, but it would exclude logging into her personal university account?
Thanks for the explanation. Maybe we are saying the same thing but differently. I'm confused as what you say in [A] above seems to contradict what you are saying in B as I read it. When I referred originally to coursework I meant MT being online, logged into the Iowa network and doing work for her course. Her SM shows a picture of her sitting in front of her laptop doing exactly this activity. If she were just sitting in her living reading her textbook then I would agree with you that this isn't communication (unless she was involved with a group chat with classmates etc.).

My first point is that if MT was online doing coursework that this is a form of communication BUT I am NOT SURE LE meant this when they spoke about no communication as you stated. My second point is that I also cannot find the LE quote about no communication which you mentioned any place after spending some time looking. I also cannot see how we can make such a major assumption about no communication (which we don't know exactly what LE included and excluded from their definition) and then take the logical leap that she never arrived back at BF house? I honestly think this is a logical step too far based on what LE has said to the public.

Above I bolded 2 sentences to try and explain why I'm still confused with your point. In [A] you say you don't think communication means coursework even though coursework was online and needed some kind of authenticated login to a secure network? This confuses me as it seems doing coursework online is communicating as MT is online and her online activities are being tracked as is her login and presumably logoff. In you seem to say that online activity is a form of communication (I agree with this statement BTW). I can't reconcile you saying communication doesn't mean coursework and then what you say in ?

In the end though I'm not sure how much this matters if we cannot find a LE quote that explains what they mean by communication as media didn't ask the question and LE was predictably vague. Unfortunately we don't know what communication tools MT used and sadly some of them such as WhatsApp won't leave a trail for LE. Based on the info we have now I don't see how the argument that she never made it back to the house can be made with any degree of certainty. I will track down the early article about family looking at browser history and making statement that she was doing coursework at BF house.

Last edited by a moderator:
An example of an untraceable app for communicating. From 2014:

"Unlike Snapchat, the Wickr app—which was built by a team of security experts—encrypts each message with a unique key that can only be used once, and only the sender and Wickr users have those keys. The company also disguises users' personal information, so that it doesn't know the identity of its users or how they are using the app. "
"Even metadata, which is data that include how or when a message was collected, is completely erased with Wickr's shredding feature. In other words, Wickr forensically scrubs or "shreds" the details about a message from your device so that there is no evidence the message ever existed."

Snapchat rival hopes to pounce on security breach

JMO.

I am leaning in the other direction simply because there aren't that many strangers in Brooklyn, if I have correctly assessed the feel of this charming small town.
Moo When I say stranger in this case, I'm referring to a local to the region, but who is a stranger to MT.

If they knew her password.
Someone wouldn't need a password necessarily to look for the last activity on a computer. I'm assuming she left the computer open. Again, that word "assumption". EDIT: She was staying in the house by herself. She probably left it open. Even if she didn't, I bet she shared the computer with DJ, or that DJ could figure out her password easily enough. Most people use a pet name in some form, a birthday, etc.

Last edited:
I had a Vivofit and I don't think it would "know" it was on another wrist. When you first get a device like that you have to measure your step length and that reading alone would be different if it was reading someone else, but not different in a way that would be notable to someone looking at the readings. If that makes sense.
It makes sense, so then what I am asking is, could someone have taken off her fitbit, put it on their own wrist, and wore it for a while? If the LE looked at the fitbit data, would they be able to tell at what point the item was on Mollie's arm and what time theoretically someone else could be wearing it? At least until the phone or the fitbit ran out of charge?

Except, we have to keep in mind that police have said that there is no credible communication from Mollie after she went jogging. That would suggest that the Snapchat was sent before she went jogging.
True, assuming they have the data. I don't recall one way or the other if they ever specified the exact time the snap chat was sent or even if they know that. Did we ever determine if they could definitely find that?

I had that thought early on. That maybe the perp wasn’t interested in MT but in DJs brothers fiancée and was doing something crazy to try and stop/stall the trip to the Dominican Republic, in effect stopping the wedding.

Seems less likely now, as this goes on longer and longer
Interesting perspecitve..and it did indeed stop the wedding! Hmmmmm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo