Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a superb breakdown of the possibilities. I'm going to copy and save it, if that is OK with you. Building off your ideas:

1) The two farmland areas scream "known to the perp" to me as well. I don't see someone completely unfamiliar to the area turning off on the gravel roads in those areas. Like I pointed out yesterday, gravel roads are noisy, suggesting to me that the perp knew where he was going and how remote it was, and that the likelihood that he would be seen would be very small.

2) I'm not ruling out opportunistic, but I find it more difficult to assume that the perp arbitrarily picked up Mollie and then came up with the idea to take her to/through one or the other remote areas. (I always come back to 'why those two areas'?)

3) I want to explore the 'living to the north' idea a bit more. Most of use are assuming that the area near the truck stop is relevant because the perp entered town from there. But it could simply be that someone thought s/he saw Mollie there.

4) Spot on. He was and is scared spitless.

5) Spot on. Many here are assuming that the perp went to great lengths to dispose of Mollie's electronics. This doesn't always happen in criminal situations.

6) Interesting thought. I think LE has a list and has not narrowed it down to a particular individual as yet. Maybe they're going in the other direction and ruling people out. I hope they've dumped the cell towers. That would narrow the possibilities down to all numbers pinging the towers between 5PM and 10PM. However, we don't know if the perp had a cell phone with him and whether it was on. It would be tedious work to eliminate all of the possibilities, but this is Brooklyn, IA, not Brooklyn, NY, and I think it could be done with enough people working on it.
All MOO

I think it takes 30 days to get cell phone data that is subpoenaed. But you can only get the data for the person you are requesting (Mollie in this case). Even if there is another identically timed ping FROM A DIFFERENT CELL PHONE at the same time, LE cannot get this data without knowing the cell phone number ahead of time and asking for another subpoena.

LE probably has her cell phone data and timeline....but that is all they can legally get right now until they have an actual POI

RSBM

It is NOT known evidence that she made it back to the house. Second hand accounts are classified as hearsay and as such will usually be inadmissible in a court of law. It’s irrelevant that LE told a witness that or not.

If a witness saw her return to the house, that would be considered direct evidence. Neither judge nor jury would have to make assumptions or draw inferences.

It is NOT known evidence that she was abducted on a jog/walk. No-one saw her being abducted, no-one heard her scream and no-one saw her being dragged unwillingly into a vehicle. There is no proof whatsoever that this happened. Assumptions aren’t evidence.

Edited to emphasize NOT for the sake of clarity.
Exactly. The only " known evidence" is what little LE has released to the public as facts. All the rest is purely speculation.

[QUOTE="

It is easy to see some similarities to the Evansville girls case. Now, I am at a point where I would like to look at where the Evansville girls and/or Delphi girls are different. I would like to find discrepancies to disprove the connection between the girls and MT. This is just an exercise in trying to look at the case from a different angle.
Evansville girls missing July 13, 2012
Delphi girls missing Feb 13, 2017
MT missing July 18, 2018
I am not even sure where to start. I did follow along in Lizzie and Lyric's case closely but my memory isn't all that sharp!

I[/QUOTE]

Mollie looks too old for the perp(s) that killed the Evansville and Dephi girls. Their tastes are even more perverted.

I think it takes 30 days to get cell phone data that is subpoenaed. But you can only get the data for the person you are requesting (Mollie in this case). Even if there is another identically timed ping FROM A DIFFERENT CELL PHONE at the same time, LE cannot get this data without knowing the cell phone number ahead of time and asking for another subpoena.

LE probably has her cell phone data and timeline....but that is all they can legally get right now until they have an actual POI

LE can get the esn from the tower ping and use that to get the phone number associated with with the phone.

MOO If I go off the theory that this was a regional local who was a stranger to MT (or at least not a close acquaintance), and the first two red dots are related to his whereabouts vs. hers, then I begin the trail at the red dot near bf's house, where I believe she was taken. I've mapped the route from there, as has been discussed a few times before, with the ending being at the pig farm, not the last red dot. (See map: red is route with MT, yellow is perp's route home, black Xs are red dots from LE map)

Now, here's a couple ideas (IMO):

1) The route is rural and specific, and while I don't necessarily think it was planned, I do think the drive is familiar to the perp. Maybe he is also a creature of habit and is more comfortable in locations he already knows. (As I noted yesterday, the northern red dot on V21 used to have a stand of trees and a silo on the northwest corner, which has been converted to cropland at some point (can be seen from various views on bing maps - don't know if this is important).

2) If this was an opportunistic event, then the perp already had a reason to be on that route within Brooklyn between the truck stop and car wash. Basing off the time of day, I'd guess it's his route home from work, which means he lives to the north. V18 to Hwy 6 seems like an obvious possibility. From there he could head any direction to any neighboring town or rural property.

3) If he does live to the north, then I think heading south for the crime suggests he does not want to do it near home. If he left MT near the pig farm (maybe around 9:45pm) (with crimes happening along the V21 route - abandoned buildings at southern red dot), I don't think he'd back track, I think he'd get out the quickest way, which would be to jump onto hwy 21. If he's going to head home, then going north on hwy 21 would take him right back to hwy 6 (without having to go back through Brooklyn).

4) Moo I think he was scared/freaked out, not bold. He wanted to go home unseen, but fast, thus taking the hwy.

5) I don't think he bothered one bit worrying about fitbits and cell phones. I think they are still on her. I think if the cell phone suddenly died it was because it got wet.

6) One consideration: Perhaps LE has stated that the community is not in danger because they already have the perp in custody- on another, unrelated charge. Something to get him in on. Maybe this happened sometime between PCs. Now they are trying to gather as much evidence, witnesses, etc. to build a case against him so that the formal charge sticks. Maybe this is wishful thinking.

Interesting. There are some elements that I think are plausible and that I completely agree with you on, but I would have a few questions about this theory. First, where would Mollie be going on the gravel road by the BF's house? That doesn't go towards her mom's house at all. Since we have sightings of her jogging the other direction, does this mean you think she made it back to the house and continued jogging past it? And second, if you think he wanted to get out of town as fast as possible with her, why would he drive through the center of town, through neighborhoods, to go out on the east side? There would be much faster ways to get out of town, especially if he normally drives up V18 to Hwy 6 (per your theory).

It very well could of been someone who knew her.
Using the pretense your brother or Mom has been injured & needs help ASAP they sent me to get you!!!

I can only speak for myself, but I would never fall for this. It seems like "Stranger Danger 101" to me. If there's been an emergency, a familiar face would be sent, other than that, I would assume it's not legit. I teach my kids this also, under NO circumstances would I send an unknown person to collect them in case of an emergency.

Now, having said that, if the person was known to her and fooled her under said pretense, that's another story.

MOO

I think you're overlooking the word "evidence" in the previous post and focusing on the word "known". No, it is not "known" that she was taken while on the jog, but the fact that she was last seen jogging and that the only items missing were things she would have taken with her jogging are most certainly evidence of that scenario.
I think we can speculate that may be what occurred, but not necessarily conclude that it is " evidence." LE has never stated "we have evidence she was abducted on her jog." If people claim that, others may assume it is true.

They’re going to look very closely at nearby sex offenders. And you’re right, these guys are never cured.

And the window when they re-offend is up in the air depending on whose research you want to believe. And honestly isn't it ultimately up to criminals. Which to me is just wrong. Since we know they WILL re-offend, why do we let them out to walk among us?

I wish all states would get on the same page, as the Adam Walsh Act requires! IOWA is just one of 33 states NOT compliant at this time. I have wondered for some time what happens to the offenders who roll off the registry? Different tiers are treated differently by different states at this time.

Do LE have a more comprehensive database of anyone who EVER was charged with such a crime? I believe that could be very beneficial.

Most sex offenders (which for me I abhor the term, it is too vague imo. These criminals rape, terrorize, torture. Some escalate to murder. Why do we use such a bland moniker for them!) do not make it to the court system after their first crime. It takes a trail of victims or a protracted time line for a particular victim before the evil soul is arrested and begins to slither through our court system, taking advantage of every loophole, vagueness, or option which serves them the best and minimizes their crimes.

But it IS known evidence. They know that her phone, armband, fitbit, earbuds, and running clothes are gone, and they know that she would have taken these items and probably nothing more on her run.

These items are evidence that she may have been taken while on her run. We don't know that this is what happened, but we know that the evidence exists.

I made no assumptions. The point of that post was to show what things indicate she made it back to the house and which things indicated she didn't. You need to look back at the conversation at that time.

ETA: There are other kinds of evidence than direct evidence, which is why I never used the term "direct evidence." By saying "known evidence" I simply meant that the information came from actual LE involved in the case and not speculation in articles.

1) Let me try again because you’re both misunderstanding what I’m saying. For example, LE tells you that Mollie made it back to the house. You don’t know if that’s true or not because you didn’t see it, you’re just going on what LE told you. You wouldn’t be called as a witness because you didn’t see Mollie make it back to the house.

2) We all know that the phone, fitbit etc are missing from house. That’s not disputed. What I’m saying is, that fact is not evidence that she was abducted. She could have taken those items with her and run away, travelled somewhere, did any number of things for all we know, not that I’m saying she did. But we don’t know that she was abducted just because those things are missing.

We're getting nowhere with this discussion. Sorry if I can't explain it any better.

But it IS known evidence. They know that her phone, armband, fitbit, earbuds, and running clothes are gone, and they know that she would have taken these items and probably nothing more on her run.

These items are evidence that she may have been taken while on her run. We don't know that this is what happened, but we know that the evidence exists.
It could also mean she had just returned to the house, or that she was getting ready to leave the house, or that she got in a car willingly with someone she knows..OR, it could be a scenario that no one has even come up with yet.

Last edited:
Interesting. There are some elements that I think are plausible and that I completely agree with you on, but I would have a few questions about this theory. First, where would Mollie be going on the gravel road by the BF's house? That doesn't go towards her mom's house at all. Since we have sightings of her jogging the other direction, does this mean you think she made it back to the house and continued jogging past it? And second, if you think he wanted to get out of town as fast as possible with her, why would he drive through the center of town, through neighborhoods, to go out on the east side? There would be much faster ways to get out of town, especially if he normally drives up V18 to Hwy 6 (per your theory).

Good questions. I think MT was jogging home (to bf's house) and ALMOST there when she was taken (my map might not have been exact). And earlier I posted a theory that if he took her near the house, then 170 is right there. He could get on that and be in isolation immediately. North on 170 goes to HWY 6, which he could then take west to V21. I still think this (IMO), but others have made good arguments towards him taking 385 all the way to V21, which also is plausible, but still more town to drive through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3