Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys... in small town, rural Iowa, it is not strange at all to walk across town for any reason. Especially in a town you’ve lived in most of your life. A town that is dotted with realatives and friends along the way. It is not strange for teen siblings to share a vehicle. I have three teenaged children, very close to the ages and spacing of Mollie and her brothers. My children do not each have their own vehicle. They share. They work out their school/ work/ and personal schedules with each other and one day doesn’t look the same as the next. It’s messy, it’s sometimes chaotic, but my kids always figure out a way to get where they are going. Sometimes they grab a ride with friends, sometimes a neighbor. I don’t keep track of their daily schedules, as it would be impossible. That’s on them and they are always responsible and arrive on time. Mollie’s mother is giving her children space and life skills by letting them learn to manage time, rides and relationships. Mollie’s mom has deep roots in Brooklyn. Nothing like this has ever happened there. Nothing like this happens in small rural Iowa towns and our kids have lots of freedom. Please think outside the cultural norms of your urban towns. I’m sure the LAST thing Mollie’s brother thought was that something terrible had happened to his responsible, reliable sister. He most likely thought, “Eh, she probably caught a ride with a friend.” Nothing about this situation seems like an abnormal response by anyone in her family. People here have a farming mindset. We are relaxed, friendly, and time moves slow. There has never been a reason for panic in Brooklyn until now.

EXACTLY!! I live in a small town and have walked MANY places by myself as a kid (in my teens--before I had a driver's license) and as an adult (years ago when my car was repossessed). And I am talking miles (probably an hour walk or more). I used to walk to the library when I was in school. I used to walk to Girl Scouts. I used to walk all over the place. But I have never walked anywhere late at night. But I trust the town I live in right now (same town I grew up in) to walk to town right now if I had to. I am lucky though now my husband always makes sure I have a vehicle though especially when you have kids (it is different when you have kids). But I agree with you completely on this Homeschool Mom.

I'm still sticking to my opinion that she got in a vehicle willingly, not with the intention of fleeing but because she trusted that person and didn't feel threatened and it turned south quickly. The reason I feel like this is because it would be pretty brazen of someone to come into this small town and run the risk of abducting her in plain site. I feel someone would have heard something or seen something.... This is my just MO. I try and stray away from things that just seem way too coincidental so the idea of a stranger abduction...during the evening...in a small town and there's Mollie who just so happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time....and then nobody else is around. To me, there's just too many coincidental things about that. Everything would have to line up absolutely perfect for the abductor. Thoughts?

I think these days too many reporters and too many police agencies look for solutions on a computer screen or a cell phone. Nothing replaces walking a nabe and knocking on doors and talking. Nothing.
I think they’re doing both, as they should. There is no substitute for good old fashioned police work, but technology is incredibly important these days, and it would be a terrible oversight not to dedicate resources to it as well. I don’t think that technical research has replaced knocking on doors though.

I
EXACTLY!! I live in a small town and have walked MANY places by myself as a kid (in my teens) and as an adult (years ago when my car was repossessed). And I am talking miles (probably an hour walk or more). I used to walk to the library when I was in school. I used to walk to Girl Scouts. I used to walk all over the place. But I have never walked anywhere late at night. But I trust the town I live in right now (same town I grew up in) to walk to town right now if I had to. I am lucky though now my husband always makes sure I have a vehicle though especially when you have kids (it is different when you have kids). But I agree with you completely on this Homeschool Mom.
I grew up in a major city and still walked places often miles by myself and at night. This was back when I was 15. Its not uncommon

Where did it say she was training for a half marathon? That changes all of the running distance and path scenarios...

Not necessarily. My weekday training runs for half training do not exceed an hour and that is later in my schedule when I was first starting out. In the beginning of many training programs that weekday training run will be just about 45 minutes. Long runs are once a week and typically on Saturdays or Sundays.

My gut feeling all along has been that it was a semi targeted abduction by someone she vaguely knew. Somebody who had fantasised about it/her at one point.

I know a few people have thrown out a former classmate etc but what about a former teacher / educator / sports coach?

A random abduction in evening day/sunlight in a town just feels so risky (even if it is rural) - So many less risky options if it was a complete stranger surely?

JMO ... if, hypothetically, this is a serial killer who is somehow connected to Lyric/Lizzie, the Delphi girls, and Mollie ... that would indicate he's escalating. Unless there are other murders in between we don't know about. If Mollie were the unfortunate victim of a SK, LE would have to tie in connections. With the first two, it's an obvious connection - two girls, in remote areas. Lyric and Elizabeth were eight and ten. Abby and Libby were thirteen and fourteen. There were five years between the murders - Abby and Libby would have been 7 or 8 and 9 or 10 when they went missing. Lizzie was about to turn 9 when she disappeared. The date 2-13-17 is 7-13-12 backwards. To me, there are a lot of connections there.

If this perp is connected to Mollie, we'll find her body by the end of hunting season, imo - unless, of course, there are other victims out there we haven't found and his M.O. wasn't formerly two girls and he's more into crimes of opportunity in remote areas. I'm struggling to concretely believe that it's the same perp. I see there similarities that have been pointed out, and some of them are pretty convincing, but I personally don't have enough information to believe they're connected. Should they find Mollie's body in a wooded area, then maybe I will suspect that they are.

Everyone seems to fancy the idea of a single serial killer for these crimes. Why are we not considering the fact that Evansdale/ Delphi/ Brooklyn could very well be a GROUP of individuals acting together? The case of Brooke Bennett comes to mind.... a 12 year old girl who was raped and murdered in 2008 in Colorado. The murderer used a 14 yr old female accomplice ( who he had also been sexually assaulting) to lure Brooke, who spoke of being initiated into a "sex society" of men who rape children. Yes I know its horrible to think that, but the fact that it's horrible doesn't make it any less possible.

MT's disappearance could be the work of a single serial killer. It could also be the work of a group of people acting together. ALL scenarios must be considered and investigated.

[QUOTE="str8nightowl, post: 14298943, member: 179507"]OldLadyBlues, I remember someone way back in the threads mentioning a storm cellar. Actually I think there were a couple of posts on threads very far back.

There was a case a while back with a SK by the name of Todd Kohlhepp.

I remember someone mentioning it way back, but since her dad is so insistent that she is still alive to this point, the map brought back my suspicions on the storm/bomb cellar and it being instead, the perimeter of the search area. Those are pretty well stocked with supplies, remember and if she went with someone she knew, it perhaps should be considered. At this point, I don't think there is anything nefarious like the case above, but if she is below ground level, doesn't that interfere with electronic signals??

Sexual predators are pretty specific in age, especially pedophiles. Human traffickers are specific as to what is needed in the market place according to age also.
Well that was my point. Perhaps this predator was NOT motivated for that reason specifically. We have heard that predators have a preference but that may be a very general and watered down classification when the perp is a SK. I am in the camp that is considering connections to the Evansdale girls. Do you think that the FBI would come in at 30-40 head to aggressively look for a human trafficking ring? In Brooklyn? honest question...

I don't know if I can support the HT angle. I don't see a connection there yet, except for Mollie has not been found.
jmo

It would be very risky for a stranger to have abducted her (I really think it would) but it is STILL possible. You never know how brazen an abductor could be. Maybe it thrills the perp to grab someone KNOWING that he might be caught and also KNOWING at the same time he is smart enough that he WILL NOT be caught. The fact that MAYBE he has done this before would make him more experienced and more likely to get away with it. I don't know. Just throwing things out there. JMO.

Isn't Iowa considered a tornado state, therefore having storm cellars? And since I'm older than dirt, I remember when I was little and Russia was threatening to bomb us, that many people with land had bomb cellars that doubled as storm cellars. Are there any of these within that perimeter?

We do have tornados, and some of them are doozies. But most people don't have storm shelters as most houses have basements which suit the purpose just fine. Some older homes have root cellars where vegetables were stored in the old days, but those are kind of few and far between anymore.

Guys... in small town, rural Iowa, it is not strange at all to walk across town for any reason. Especially in a town you’ve lived in most of your life. A town that is dotted with realatives and friends along the way. It is not strange for teen siblings to share a vehicle. I have three teenaged children, very close to the ages and spacing of Mollie and her brothers. My children do not each have their own vehicle. They share. They work out their school/ work/ and personal schedules with each other and one day doesn’t look the same as the next. It’s messy, it’s sometimes chaotic, but my kids always figure out a way to get where they are going. Sometimes they grab a ride with friends, sometimes a neighbor. I don’t keep track of their daily schedules, as it would be impossible. That’s on them and they are always responsible and arrive on time. Mollie’s mother is giving her children space and life skills by letting them learn to manage time, rides and relationships. Mollie’s mom has deep roots in Brooklyn. Nothing like this has ever happened there. Nothing like this happens in small rural Iowa towns and our kids have lots of freedom. Please think outside the cultural norms of your urban towns. I’m sure the LAST thing Mollie’s brother thought was that something terrible had happened to his responsible, reliable sister. He most likely thought, “Eh, she probably caught a ride with a friend.” Nothing about this situation seems like an abnormal response by anyone in her family. People here have a farming mindset. We are relaxed, friendly, and time moves slow. There has never been a reason for panic in Brooklyn until now
Well that was my point. Perhaps this predator was NOT motivated for that reason specifically. We have heard that predators have a preference but that may be a very general and watered down classification when the perp is a SK. I am in the camp that is considering connections to the Evansdale girls. Do you think that the FBI would come in at 30-40 head to aggressively look for a human trafficking ring? In Brooklyn? honest question...

I don't know if I can support the HT angle. I don't see a connection there yet, except for Mollie has not been found.
jmo
I may be wrong here, but I think Feds come in when there is a need to access devices like phones etc.

Not if she's training for a half marathon.... One day a week a longer run would be added. She ran XC and would know the drill.
Has there been any MSM saying she's training for a half Marathon and wouldn't her boyfriend know if she were?

Hi Onescout,
FBI do come into cases when asked by LE on certain cases. Child abductions and crossing state lines come to mind as common right off the top, but FBI do also come in and support LE for the technological aspect also. But 30-40 is a large and aggressive show. Plus they came in hot and heavy early on.
State, federal investigators involved in search for missing UI student Mollie Tibbetts (JULY 24th)
The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation joined the search on July 20, and the FBI became involved on July 23.

So, I find it curious is all.

jmo

I noticed after the last briefing the use of the term disappearance and violent crime was used. The speaker did not couch either word nor did he explain the shift from missing. This most likely is due to the length of days and lack of communication.

IMO a "group of trained abductors" conspiracy theory would hurt this case rather then help. Its always thrown out in many MP cases and is just that, a conspiracy theory.

And this knee jerk reaction to the possibility of multiple sickos working together often hurts cases like this IMO.

Sexual crimes perpetrated by groups of deranged people have been well documented for a very long time. The pedo site "Childsplay" ( run by the international authorities for over a year as part of a sting operation) had almost a million members when it was eventually taken down. Members would often invite each other over their homes to partake in sexually assaulting minors, including the owner of the site. This is well documented....a very tight knit group of perverts who cover and look out for each other.

I don't want to stray too far off topic, but my point is that ALL scenarios must be considered, regardless of how uncomfortable they make us feel.

I'm still struck by the lack of a digital footprint concerning a millennial who used fitbit, snapchat, and most likely instagram and facebook ( all of which have location tracking options). Almost 0 digital footprint from a 20 year old girl, in a town with 1400 people, is not the work of a random pig farmer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members