Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they said that they had leads just not ones that they could discuss publicly.

I truly believe that also my response was more in general terms. But I feel like the way they are handling it they’ve got something in their back pocket that they feel pretty good about I just wish it wasn’t taking so long to find out for sure and for them to make a move

I don't have anything to hide either but I still would opt out of most of this. I'm obviously online, use a fitbit, etc, and I'm not especially paranoid about individuals knowing who I am, but I don't trust the big systems -- I don't keep my google account logged in when I'm not using it, I have no smartphone and no facebook or any other social media accounts. As far as I know I have nothing stored in the cloud. And in my remote/rural community there are people who think I'm the internet expert! (I'm not, but my point is that the average person in my communty is even less connected than I am).

Other than Brooklyn's proximity to a freeway, my small town is probably fairly similar to it, in terms of size and overall safety.

Not sure what my point was, lol. Just agreeing with you that lots of people would not want to be chipped. But just like at the vet's office, it could easily be available for those who do want it, without forcing it on those who don't.
If given the opportunity I would have chipped my kids at birth. I did have someone who threatened to kidnap them and take them anywhere in the world.

Is there a Missing Facebook page for Mollie? If so could someone please post a link? I can’t seem to find it. TIA

Yes to everything you said with the caveat that you can set your Fitbit software to not auto-sync. When I had one, mine was set to only sync when I told it to. Otherwise I found it wore down the battery faster than I wanted. So it depends on her settings. The phone is the key to so much of this.

Maybe Mollie also had MobileTrack.

Fitbit Help - How do I use MobileTrack?

I agree. Does anyone know if her dad is in the picture or not. Not sure if mom is widowed or dad lives elsewhere. Not that it has anything to do with the case, just me wondering.

Make no mistake: Jake, Scott and Mollie’s parents, Laura Calderwood and Rob Tibbetts, have not given up looking.
'She hated to be sad and hated others to be sad': Brotherly love for missing sister

I've read other reports that Dad immediately traveled to Iowa from Calif, and active at earlier searches. Been reported here by Members that Mollie acted as Dad's "Best Man" at his recent wedding. I believe Dad and Mollie are featured as her Twitter profile photo. I don't recall seeing him interviewed. What an terrible nightmare for this family...

I have a Fitbit Charge 2. It's pretty new. I got it this February. I don't think mine updates the data from my watch until I look at the app or refresh it. Like when I wake up in the morning and check my sleep I have to open the app and then it uploads that data. It doesn't continuously load the data. You can actual track your walks/runs whatever on your map. But I think you have to actually tell it to track your walk when you start it. If she was smart enough to know something was happening she could have used this feature to start tracking her route. That GPS data they might be able to access. I use the Android app though.

Ive been reading these instructions in the link below and if I understand them right that even for models that dont have built in receivers for the GPS signal there is an APP that can be downloaded that would use the GPS signal on the phone. It still probably has the same limitations we talked about as far as getting that information over to a server that LE can access.

Fitbit Help - Does my Fitbit device have GPS?

I kept thinking if the perp threw out the Fitbit out the window at a later point that it may help LE to get the device and sync-it themselves to get more current data off of it but then I realized that they would know where they found it LOL But it still may help them to do that because they may find a route to the perps house before he dumped the fitbit device.

I agree that I think LE is releasing some of that information to try and make the perp panic about how much they already have to make him either give up or make a mistake while panicking now.

I remember having a code word as a kid, too. It is a good way to keep a perp from trying to trick a kid.

I hope your 13-year-old's social anxiety keeps getting better. I used to have it, too. I just kept putting myself in the situations that made me uncomfortable. Not feeding the anxiety is the key for sure.
Ty so much, she has responded so well to counseling and low dose medication. I didn’t want to squash her courage to do something she would have recently refused to do. Ahhhh parenting is not for the faint of heart for sure! Blessings to you!!

Investigators turn to Fitbit data for clues about missing Iowa college student

>>snip

"That takes it to a whole new level, because we're hoping to be able to precisely examine and know where she was, when she was there," said Mitch Mortvedt, special agent in charge with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation.

Tibbetts' Fitbit could potentially give investigators a trove of data on the day she disappeared using GPS technology and other data like her heart rate. Investigators have also issued warrants to social media companies for data that could help determine exactly where she went.

"You can actually overlay the location data with the real world to find out what exactly happened," Thomas Yohannan, an expert on data recovery. "You are essentially trying to find a witness to the events that happened leading up to her missing person."

Late Thursday, investigators said they had completed reconstructing their timeline of Mollie's run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses.

It is not the norm but it happens.

It happened here in Toledo. 2 14-15 year old girls (cousins) were walking to the McDonald's on a busy street. A man pulled up and said he was a friend of one of the girls father's and they got into the car as the 14 year thought he looked "familiar" They were immediately taken to a house, beaten, drugged, raped, and then farmed out to truck stops up in Detroit. They were just out to get a shake, their families waiting for them, and they were taken. These girls were recovered and it was one of the biggest sex trafficking rings discovered back then. Multi states involved, over 31 people were indicted..insane. They did a 20/20, Dateline, etc. show on these girls. It was horrific. Snatched off the street. If they wouldn't have gotten in the car, they would've continued to cruise until they found someone. These were white little girls, from decent families...it DOES happen. Toledo ranks 3rd in the nation for sex trafficking. It's horrific here. My friends daughter (a beautiful, white, 17 year old pumping gas at a station was approached, intimidated, and she ran into gas station to escape.
It happens people. A lot more than people want to admit.
Thanks, that’s what I said over 100 pages ago.

I agree. Not intending to start at political debate LOL but he77 yeah I would do it. Animals now can be chipped with GPS tracking.

A Pet GPS tracker is not a "chip" injected in to a pet. GPS trackers require power and are active devices. They have a battery, integrated circuit(s) (ICs) and antenna that 'triangulate' GPS satellite signals to calculate a location. This capability is not possible in a "chip" as we know it. Pet GPS trackers are configured as a collar device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove