Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #30

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Charlie, was this an online publication or hardcopy newspaper? Wondering if you remember the name of the publication? I've looked high and low and haven't been able to find this, so any help you can provide would be much appreciated! TIA :)

I knew one of us would eventually bite at this post.

Would the Grinnell Regional Medical Center Day Camp really be scheduling a field trip if there was the slightest chance of a tornado?

They apparently did so not sure what the question is.

For what it's worth, the weather was rainy that day but the tornadoes just before/after 5:00 p.m. caught people off guard, but sirens were deployed, as i recall.
This map shows every Iowa tornado report from July 19

I have strongly suspected the disappearance is somehow related to the fact the bf is away in Dubuque.

I think this is a very good point. What if the boyfriend mentioned to his coworkers/acquaintances that Mollie was watching the house and that person drove to Brooklyn? Any inadvertent, innocuous conversation could have set someone in motion.

Maybe the possibilities could include:
Leaving town.
Returning to old habits like drinking and smoking weed (which can cause loose lips).
Not having to constantly guard/monitor a small piece of ground where is hidden (a weapon or body).
Deciding the time is right to bury someone or something deeper, thus possibly becoming bold enough to return to a certain spot.
...etc.
You are bringing up a *very* good point AriannaColorado. God forbid this lovely girl has passed on, the Perp may not have had the chance to permanently dispose of the remains. Perhaps she hasn't been found because she is still hidden in a house, a storage unit, etc.
Locals should remain vigilant for people seeming odd and going/coming to remote places with tarps and what not. GREAT thinking AC!

I'm not going to post my two spots of interest because I'm sure you are all sick of seeing me post those. In addition, to my hot spots, I would recommend looking in big grain bins (or the equivalent) where the corn might be kept. Silo, I don't know what you call them as I am a city slicker.
Silos. Elevators.

I have not given much thought to someone who knows her, but after reading your post about her being alone that night I have to reconsider. If she was out running with someone at the house, they would have raised the alarm much sooner and things may have turned out differently. thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Yeah, I just think it’s something that is important to consider. It could of course be nothing, or it is incredibly relevant. I always try to look at coincidences with suspicion.

Silos. Elevators.
I saw one of the graineries had a closing date of August 1st for storing grain. If the grain went in that day, it would have covered up a multitude of sins. JMO. By now they've probably searched them. I am still leaning towards "mean girls" or bullies, and mistakenly taking a ride from said bullies. But if someone needed to hide evidence, grain bin would be a good place.

Long-time reader, first-time poster. Have really enjoyed all of your insightful thoughts and comments.

First of my many thoughts on Mollie:

Lots has been made on WS of the FBI involvement. Tragically, a few years ago, a high school student of mine interrupted a burglary-in-progress when she arrived home to an empty house after school. The burglar brutally murdered her and took her cell phone. He then used it to taunt her parents. The FBI became involved very quickly and used the cell info to track and arrest him. This was a wealthy Chicago suburb with lots of resources, but local LE likely didn’t have the tech experience to nab him, especially quickly. So, the FBI presence on this case does not strike me as unusual given the cell and Fitbit angles.

I don't think there would be any reason to get rid of her fitbit. It doesn't look like the smartwatch type, and without the phone the fitbit won't sync any data. Couldn't they just toss the phone or remove the sim? Could probably pawn that phone once the sim is removed. Not sure, though. Depends on model and carrier, I guess.

A once-registered phone is traceable (as in, it can be identified as being associated with a previously registered account) regardless of if a previous SIM is removed. The phone hardware has inherent identifying numerics.

I don't think there would be any reason to get rid of her fitbit. It doesn't look like the smartwatch type, and without the phone the fitbit won't sync any data. Couldn't they just toss the phone or remove the sim? Could probably pawn that phone once the sim is removed. Not sure, though. Depends on model and carrier, I guess.

I don’t really think that scenario is the 1.:) Just wanted to get people thinking about non-SK options too.

On the fit bit, I think some people—at least young or tech savvy ones—would realize a fit bit tracks body info and would assume it sends some sort of signal since it syncs to a phone.

I also don’t think a perp who is trying to avoid a kidnapping or murder charge would risk showing up on a pawn shop camera when they try to sell the victim’s phone.

So if there is a perp involved, I do think they minimally destroyed the phone and (if tech savvy) may have disposed of the fit bit too.

Also, I linked some articles earlier in previous threads that suggest a Fitbit can be synced to more than 1 device. So if Mollie had it synced to her computer or tablet, for example, I believe that third device could still be used to access Fitbit info if the phone was destroyed.

This is how I would number the route, with point 3 as the location where the abductor and Mollie met.

If anyone has a different idea and would like a map to easily visualize, let me know - just takes a moment to do.
Just an idea any reason 4 and 1 could or could not be swapped?

Trying to think outside the box today. I started thinking what if this is someone that has done this before in a neighboring state. Maybe when doing so previously it didn’t get the media attn like Mollie’s has. I didn’t check all of the surrounding states as that has missing people from small towns with the same MO. This has probably already been mentioned in earlier threads but I’ve had to skim and skip some along the way. I will try to keep this short and sweet but we all know how I can be. Haha.

Since I-80 is right there I wanted see if there was anyone missing that was a straight shot on 80 to Brooklyn. There is in American Fork. Straight shot for the most part on 80. Also was out jogging when she went missing and not much older than Mollie. She is 24. I don’t want to violate TOS so I won’t mention names. She does have a thread here. When she left to go running she told her roommates in a treatment facility she was going for a run. Only took her phone, left wallet and ID. A trail cam caught her running but other than that vanished. Happened in Feb.

Is this maybe why early on there was an alert or a search in UT? Not sure where or if this is just a coincidence. Thoughts? They kind of look similar, same weight, couple inches off on height.

Attachments

• 9DC4F58D-9545-4B64-8F0C-0A13B310FC20.png
    9DC4F58D-9545-4B64-8F0C-0A13B310FC20.png
    329.1 KB · Views: 46
I just watched a video with some guys theory of the pinned tweet on Mollie's account. I wish he would post here. Anyway I know I can't speak of other sites but I can speak of the spooky and telling "pinned" tweet on MT account. I didn't know what it meant to pin a tweet until today. So basically you go to a past tweet, press the down arrow and pin to your profile page which will bring the tweet to the top. So the theory is that when MT was being abducted she noticed it was the same guy from the library pretending to be a police officer and saying she looked like a missing girl. So she went to the tweet from November where she told people of the weird episode and pinned that tweet so that the first thing anyone saw when they opened her twitter was that tweet. She probably didn't have time to do anything else.

Here is what I wonder...how much time passes before LE rethinks the odd strategy of keeping back even a basic timeline of known events, etc...and releases more info. We have seen it before, when months or a year later LE finally gives out a bit more and everyone shakes their heads, wondering why it was a “secret”. I often think the inherent secrecy of L.e can play adversely in MP cases...jmo

A little far fetched. There are thousands of missing people out there. Hers just gets the most attention right now. Similar to the Natalie Holloway case.

Yeah, but he currently has the bully pulpit, and this case has drawn almost unprecedented national attention. Maybe he can change the way we look for those thousands of missing people. Change is funny that way, and sometimes only takes a little bit of pressure at the right tipping point. I am curious to see when he will next be seen in the public eye, but I still think that he'll be back!

Dear MassGuy,

I agree with your thinking, as always!

Too much of a "coincidence" that Mollie was all alone in that house with no vehicles in the driveway during the day and especially overnight. Especially no work trucks. Her second night alone.

I strongly believe that someone she knew, but not that well, took the opportunity to take her at that time. Especially knowing that she would not be "missed" for a good deal of time as she was by herself at the house.

Added to the scenario would be the knowledge that within a few more days she would be in the Dominican Republic.

I think all of this led to the "opportunity" to take her.

Deeply saddening for her loved ones. My heart is with them.

This must be very difficult for other citizens residing in that area. This situation has affected the "safe and trusting" atmosphere of the town.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just think it’s something that is important to consider. It could of course be nothing, or it is incredibly relevant. I always try to look at coincidences with suspicion.

The thing is, even without housemates, so many ways she could have realized to be missing that night and in early morning, between not coming for dinner, not arranging for car, no one hearing from her, unanwered text in a.m....lots of missed opportunities jmo.

Here is what I wonder...how much time passes before LE rethinks the odd strategy of keeping back even a basic timeline of known events, etc...and releases more info. We have seen it before, when months or a year later LE finally gives out a bit more and everyone shakes their heads, wondering why it was a “secret”. I often think the inherent secrecy of L.e can play adversely in MP cases...jmo
There is a case in my hometown of someone who went missing and was eventually found deceased. It's been 10 years and LE has never even stated how she died. They have shared no information other than where she was last seen, and that there was a person with her that may or may not have been eliminated as a suspect, and that she as found in a remote wooded area and it was clearly foul play. Every couple of years there is a plea for tips and information. I don't have any idea what they are looking for.

Unless, someone else pinned the tweet, like LE bringing it forward or someone else who got into her account.

I can’t buy that one. If she had time to open her phone, select the Twitter app, find that exact tweet and pin it, she had time to call 911.

I have always considered it weirdly ironic that tweet was pinned tho. If it somehow ends up she left willingly, maybe that indicated some sort of fixation with missing persons. But overall, I don’t think it’s related.

I just watched a video with some guys theory of the pinned tweet on Mollie's account. I wish he would post here. Anyway I know I can't speak of other sites but I can speak of the spooky and telling "pinned" tweet on MT account. I didn't know what it meant to pin a tweet until today. So basically you go to a past tweet, press the down arrow and pin to your profile page which will bring the tweet to the top. So the theory is that when MT was being abducted she noticed it was the same guy from the library pretending to be a police officer and saying she looked like a missing girl. So she went to the tweet from November where she told people of the weird episode and pinned that tweet so that the first thing anyone saw when they opened her twitter was that tweet. She probably didn't have time to do anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garc