Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I respectfully disagree. He’s a witness and is describing in some detail. He may be the original source of “all the information about what she was wearing”.
Could be. But earlier reports cited someone on their porch and the outfit has been on missing posters all over the place for days. I'm not saying he didn't see her, just that I don't think it's notable the amount of detail he's mentioning.

Also the way the quote is worded it sounds like he's referencing the outfit he's read about ("This girl that was out walking by had the black shorts and a sports bra and tennis shoes...").

Edited to add: Also, the article is titled "Neighbor offers new testimony about the night Mollie Tibbetts disappeared" (bolding mine) and there's a line in there that says "Roger Thompson is one of those people investigators have been waiting to hear from." That indicates to me that he's not one of the original witnesses from the early days.

weareiowa.com/local news says mollie was caught on surveillance camera. I cant post link, sorry, been trying over and over.

I looked for that story on that website and others and can't find it. The only reports are that they are still looking for video surveillance from local businesses, to see of she was caught on video.

I looked for that story on that website and others and can't find it. The only reports are that they are still looking for video surveillance from local businesses, to see of she was caught on video.
It's this one: What's the timeline of Mollie Tibbetts' disappearance?

I wouldn't consider it confirmed given that it hasn't been reported elsewhere and the reporting has been somewhat inaccurate in general on this case

“"This girl that was out walking by had the black shorts and a sports bra and tennis shoes and she had a telephone," he said. "I'm almost positive."

But now, as investigators to continue to comb the county near and far, he's growing more confident it was her.
"She was just walking nonchalantly like nothing was bothering her, like nothing in the world," said Thompson.”

There is something about this statement that is bothering me and i can't put my finger on it.

They don't search ditches if they're certain someone is alive.

Well, that goes without saying. But there is no way for them to know for certain, unless they have heard from her or somebody else with credible evidence, and there is no indication that has happened. They can be searching for her alive, and searching for her body at the same time. They could also be searching ditches for evidence. Which is more likely, since a body in a ditch would have likely already been found. Generally bodies in ditches along major roads are found within 24 hours.

Last edited:
@JC40 In my opinion, it sounds kind of odd because I think he's remembering back more than a week ago and mentally cross referencing what he remembers with what he knows from the missing posters and news information. The "nonchalantly" thing is in counter to how he might have expected her to be acting knowing now that she disappeared shortly after that. JMO, though.

“"This girl that was out walking by had the black shorts and a sports bra and tennis shoes and she had a telephone," he said. "I'm almost positive."

But now, as investigators to continue to comb the county near and far, he's growing more confident it was her.
"She was just walking nonchalantly like nothing was bothering her, like nothing in the world," said Thompson.”

There is something about this statement that is bothering me and i can't put my finger on it.
Something about it caught my attention too. Perhaps he was just stating that she didn't seem like something was amidst. Did he just yesterday come forward? If so, that seems odd to me.

If you look at the post by Hope on July 19th on Mollies FB page, you'll see the post about the funeral home. Only it says 5:30pm.

However, there's another post right below it that says she was seen running on Pershing past someone's house (502 W Pershing) and they are unsure of the time.

If the gentleman from the most recent article actually saw her from a window facing Jackson, that makes sense.

BUT, did the person who saw her passing the funeral home mess up the time that badly or could there have been another runner? (The person that saw her on Pershing sounds like he actually knows her so I would think that is accurate.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180728-072729.png
    Screenshot_20180728-072729.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
As searches continue for Mollie Tibbetts, a University of Iowa student who has been missing for more than a week, and Jake Wilson, an autistic teenager who went missing in April, Goodman's organization and others plan to host a vigil next week for those reported missing as well as those "gone forever." Members of the Wilson family plan to speak at the vigil and the Tibbetts family has been invited.

Organizers expect more than 300 people to turn out for the August 1 vigil scheduled for 7 p.m. at the RiverLoop Amphitheatre & Expo Plaza in Waterloo. State representatives and police officials are expected to attend.

As searches continue for Mollie Tibbetts and Jake Wilson, vigil planned for missing Iowans

Good. Jake"s case has not had a lot of publicity I feel.

I agree this story is confusing, but if the person seen walking/jogging was not Mollie, wouldn’t that person have come forward. In other words, contacted the police and said, “That wasn’t Mollie, that was me jogging” etc. ..especially with it being a small town.

I agree this story is confusing, but if the person seen walking/jogging was not Mollie, wouldn’t that person have come forward. In other words, contacted the police and said, “That wasn’t Mollie, that was me jogging” etc. ..especially with it being a small town.

You make an excellent point. Realistically, how many 20 year olds in that small town that look similar to Mollie that also jog on the same streets she does? That has to be a pretty small number.

If you look at the post by Hope on July 19th on Mollies FB page, you'll see the post about the funeral home. Only it says 5:30pm.

However, there's another post right below it that says she was seen running on Pershing past someone's house (502 W Pershing) and they are unsure of the time.

If the gentleman from the most recent article actually saw her from a window facing Jefferson, that makes sense.

BUT, did the person who saw her passing the funeral home mess up the time that badly or could there have been another runner? (The person that saw her on Pershing sounds like he actually knows her so I would think that is accurate.)

Thanks for that source for the funeral home thing... It could support one of the earlier theories we discussed about her going out running twice, with the first time being her "real" run and the second being her way of getting to her mom's house.

Did you mean a window facing Jackson? Just making sure I'm looking where you are on the map.

On her earlier run she could have gone towards town on Des Moines, turned right on Jackson/ 398 (past the funeral home), and gone some unknown distance and then come back on Pershing towards the boyfriend's house. I imagine there would be some distance in between because otherwise it's only about a mile to do that loop and she likely runs farther than that. I wonder if she DID run south towards where we've heard there have been searches...

Then later to get to her mom's it would make more sense for her to go towards town on Des Moines then left on Jackson past the high school.

"This girl that was out walking by had the black shorts and a sports bra and tennis shoes and she had a telephone.

He uses the deffinate article. If he hasn't already introduced "the" black shorts, he has either seen them before, in which case where, and when?
Hes making it up, or, hes going by what others have said or heard.
Does he watch her often? How close does her live to Mollie (neighbor) ? Note, too, " this girl" this being close, and not "a" (introduction) girl. Or now he knows her name, why not say "Mollie"

I agree, but I think it's hard to know what the police do and don't know at this point since they are sharing so little...

"This girl that was out walking by had the black shorts and a sports bra and tennis shoes and she had a telephone.

He uses the deffinate article. If he hasn't already introduced "the" black shorts, he has either seen them before, in which case where, and when?
Hes making it up, or, hes going by what others have said or heard.
Does he watch her often? How close does her live to Mollie (neighbor) ? Note, too, " this girl" this being close, and not "a" (introduction) girl. Or now he knows her name, why not say "Mollie"
I think he's still not certain it was Mollie. He's remembering a girl he saw and cross referencing it with what he knows about the descriptions of Mollie and what she was wearing/ doing. So the "this girl" is the girl he knows he saw. "The" black shorts are the shorts in the missing details. JMO.

I personally don't get anything creepy from him, but I don't think it's really useful either since it was already established she went toward town.

I think he's still not certain it was Mollie. He's remembering a girl he saw and cross referencing it with what he knows about the descriptions of Mollie and what she was wearing/ doing. So the "this girl" is the girl he knows he saw. "The" black shorts are the shorts in the missing details. JMO.

I personally don't get anything creepy from him, but I don't think it's really useful either since it was already established she went toward town.

Any witness statement should be taken with a grain of salt. Witnesses make mistakes all the time. Until they have video, there is no certainty.

Thanks for that source for the funeral home thing... It could support one of the earlier theories we discussed about her going out running twice, with the first time being her "real" run and the second being her way of getting to her mom's house.

Did you mean a window facing Jackson? Just making sure I'm looking where you are on the map.

On her earlier run she could have gone towards town on Des Moines, turned right on Jackson/ 398 (past the funeral home), and gone some unknown distance and then come back on Pershing towards the boyfriend's house. I imagine there would be some distance in between because otherwise it's only about a mile to do that loop and she likely runs farther than that. I wonder if she DID run south towards where we've heard there have been searches...

Then later to get to her mom's it would make more sense for her to go towards town on Des Moines then left on Jackson past the high school.

Yes, sorry, Jackson! I'll edit.
I just reread both posts on Mollies page. BOTH say she was heading east. That means EAST past the funeral home. And it says a little after 5:30. That changes things up. Maybe there were 2 runs. Maybe Pershing and the funeral home were right after she got home ( but it would have to be more toward 6, she's have to let the dogs out when she got home from work)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChriNBelusk0