Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MISSING WOMAN: 20-year-old missing in Poweshiek County
Mollie’s mother is quoted as saying:
“Possibly she went missing the next morning. She works for the day care and they were going to the fair Thursday and were all supposed to wear red shirts," said Laura. “And we can't find that red shirt Mollie was supposed to wear that morning anywhere."

I didn’t know if there was a more recent article about the red shirt. IIRC, all of the red shirts were later found and accounted for. I’ll try to find a link.

View attachment 140191

I just posted this map from Mollie's to her mom's house on the media thread and noticed an orange line in the middle of the route and it is usually blue. Does anyone know what that means?
Google Maps

If you see gray or blue lines on the map, these lines are your directions routes. The colors indicate the speed of traffic on the road. Orange means there's a medium amount of traffic.

Back to the neighbor

"She was just walking nonchalantly like nothing was bothering her, like nothing in the world," said Thompson.

<modsnipped - casting aspersions on non POI>

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe someone slipped into the house via the back porch - maybe left unlocked for letting the dogs out.
Maybe there was no sign of struggle, due to the use of chloroform or something.
She probably forgot to text her brother the evening before about the ride plans, or never got the chance. Or planned to tell him the next morning. So not having any other ride isn’t that strange. He probably was confused on why he had not heard from her yet, so that’s when he texted.

I doubt she had planned for anyone at work to bring her to work, or else that someone would have mentioned that when they never heard from her (unless it was a work person that did something, but doubtful).

I’ve always felt like it happened at the home, but if it did - late, late evening or early morning. A car had to have been nearby to take her. They could have waited until all neighbors were asleep before pulling in the driveway.

Just thinking, since I can’t sleep.

Here’s an article that says it was a ride home from work the brother was texting about: Disappearance of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts remains a mystery
It says he wanted to know if she needed a ride home but it didn't specify from work. It's possible that he meant a ride home from her boyfriend's house (to get the car or whatever). Maybe he asked because it was raining. If he meant a ride home from work, maybe he asked her that because he'd been expecting her to come get the car and take it to work but then assumed she got a ride when she didn't show. He might've wanted to know if he would need to go get her from work later.

Seems to be conflicting reports on this? Some say it was a ride to work and others say a ride home?

The brother could have also meant to say "work" instead of "home." Everything's confusing to me right now.

If it was truly a ride from work then yes, who was Mollie planning to get a ride from in order to get to work? Who else gave her rides besides the brother?

I feel like LE would have compiled a list of this by now and interviewed each potential person.

To all the newbies: if you watch the earliest video interview of Mollie's brother Jake, he tells the reporter that he was probably the last person (in the family) to see Mollie before she disappeared. He states he dropped her off at her boyfriends house (i.e., 622 W. Des Moines) at around 5:30 pm. If past behavior is indicative of the future, it's most likely that the text and arrangement relates to brother giving Mollie a ride home. One of our brilliant Moderators posted several links together in post #6 of this thread for your benefit. Also from the timeline:

Wednesday, July 18

5:30 p.m.: Tibbetts' older brother, Jake, dropped Mollie off at her boyfriend's house, where she was still staying alone with the dogs. Investigators said Jake Tibbetts is not a suspect.

Missing college student Mollie Tibbetts: A timeline

Last edited:
Just another quick thought (haven't spent any time thinking about what's wrong with the idea). Maybe everything went normally all night and morning until she was getting ready for work; she may have been ready to go except for her contacts when someone knocked on the door. Thinking her ride was there early, she just opened the door or told them to come in, but it wasn't her ride. Whether it was someone she knew who knew her schedule and that she was alone or just someone who saw her letting the dogs out and back in, and could maybe see through the windows that she was alone, it would most likely catch her off guard if he did anything (especially if there was a weapon involved). She couldn't really run away if he was between her and the door, and the dogs wouldn't be any help if he knew she had put them in the basement - either because he knew her and knew that was the routine or he had seen her do it through a window.

Do we know someone was due to give her a ride to work yet? I was asking on the last thread about this because that person should have alerted someone when she wasn't there.

Confusion - You make a good point about the phone. But I'm nearly positive that cell-phones only "ping" a tower when making or receiving calls / texts. And it seems that her phone data isn't telling LE anything we don't already know. Otherwise I feel like we would know that.

Or starts a data session (whenever your mobile connects to the internet through your sim).

<modsnipped quoted post>
He was interviewed days after the fact. He's clarifying that she seemed fine at that time, in counter to all the rumors flying around that she was grabbed off the street while walking/ running. I don't think that's abnormal at all.

If somebody asked me about the demeanor of someone I'd seen in passing who I now knew to be missing under suspicious circumstances, I would probably say something similar.

You have to remember, he's answering their questions and it's days after it happened.

<modsnipped quoted post>
I agree. I imagine the media are all over the nearby houses and neighbors and people all around town pestering for interviews and coverage and clips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member