Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The number of pauses in this presser lead me to think they were being very careful about HOW they answered the questions. In other words, they know they answers, but aren't ready to reveal them. I believe they have a POI - one who is not a danger to the general public (based on his difficulty in answering that question and the eternal pause). And they don't know why she was abducted - - - I think they probably do know, but if they tell us, then the POI will know the gig's up. I doubt they know WHERE she is, but I'm thinking she is alive. Or maybe I'm just hoping she's alive - IDK. JMO

I agree. Whilst this presser seemed to tell us nothing we didn't already know (and maybe even less) - I think the whole purpose of it was to spook someone they class as a POI.

Yes, the presser helps keep Mollie in the news, but tbh a press release would have done the same.

The guy who did most of the talking spoke very fast, seemed nervous (probably very conscious of his words) and took some long pauses.

This was done to "flush someone out".

I think the point of this presser was to make a statement about what LE is doing, thanking fellow officers and the local community for their help, and encourage folks to keep calling in tips.

I also think part of the reason for them to not release a timeline could possibly be because Molly's Fitbit and/or phone data is critical to locating her. As in, pinged off a tower at such and such place, or the Fitbit was still recording data for a few days after she was gone. Obviously they don't want any potential suspect to know that they know that.

The last "known" clothes she was wearing leads me to believe she did not make it back to the BF's house.

moo
I don't think a Fitbit "transmits" data. Unless they have it in in their possession to sync to download the data, they won't know what it recorded after the last time she sync'ed it.
IMO, we also shouldn't read to far into "known" clothing. It could mean she did not make it back, it could mean she made it back, but no one, except the perpetrator (if there is one), saw her after the run. What I mean is, if I walk to my neighborhood pool after work tonight, in my work clothes, and wave to a neighbor, then the next day I'm missing - I may have disappeared in my work clothes because so far no one else seems to have seen me after that point, or I could have gotten back home, changed into anything else, and then someone took me out of my home, or I even changed then left the house again on my own. They just don't have a sighting of her in anything else. On this note, I am very curious if the red shirt for work is still unaccounted for.

Hi! I am lurker so to speak. I have followed many other cases, but in today’s conference I noticed a clear tone of either frustration or almost as if they were scared they were going to slip up and say something. The LE has a written statement, and I think that is not because he needed to remember but more of “stick to the story” type of thing.

So, either they have a clear sight on who the suspect is, or they got nothing! I am hoping on the former. They did give us a clear indication of her being last seen at 7:30, and the clothes she was wearing. They did not mention her being on the computer studying in the evening like her family reported to the media. They didn’t confirm any other information on the timeline that has been previously reported. So, IMO it is really hard to determine what is actual facts from media reports which sucks! Ugh!

Find MOLLIE TIBBETS!

I feel like they don’t know. If they truly had indication that she was missing by choice, then they would back out and let her live her life as she sees fit, being she is an adult. I find the wording very strange to say they don’t know why she is missing. So weird

My take on the wording at the press conference is that because they do not know the reason she is missing (i.e. the motive of the perpetrator), they cannot follow a specific line of reasoning.

The forensic behavior differs drastically between types of criminals. In other words, if they knew why she was "taken", this would inform the investigation.

Ugh I pulled up that HLN link and the first thing on the screen was a slide saying that police say she was doing homework on her computer that night, which also hasn't been confirmed anywhere else. Talking head TV is the worst.
Talking head is exactly what I was thinking about that guy and now he gives out wrong info saying that guy taking pictures in another town was doing it along Molly’s jogging route. Jesus what a mess those words are going to cause.

Anyone else getting a hint she might have left on her own? I never considered that an option at all, but now...I wonder???

jmo
IDK. Is it like her to leave for long periods of time and not contact family or her BF at all ? Knowing that there are 30 agents working hard to find her ? Did she have an ATM card with her ? Any recent bank withdrawals ? any of her clothing missing ? Any history of depression ? Was she sounding sad or depressed when she last spoke for 3 hours to her father ? usually LE will mention such things. I believe she was abducted. jmo

Can't believe people leave there doors unlocked. We live in rural atea and the home invasions have skyrocketed. And many elderly murder victims. If LE thought that would reassure the local population and get the press of their backs , don't think it was helpful. JMO

Press conference as expected. They have the timeline pretty well pinned down I think (I hope). They cannot release it as it is critical to the investigation. The part that stood out to me is when they said it's important "who was in Brooklyn". So I think they have matched up the timeline with someone/some persons being there.

Based on the assumption that a predator/abductor would turn his phone off, not let his vehicle be seen by CCTV,etc, I'm still leaning towards someone who Mollie knew/was acquainted with is involved.

Can anyone provide a link for a recording of the press conference please?
My video kept stopping.
Evasive and no new info at all is all I could see. Would like to view the whole thing for pauses/body language during question Re-POI etc. THANKS

I have heard LE avoid the question about public safety in many cases I have followed.
The pat answer.. everyone should always be aware of their surroundings.
That doesn't set off any particular alarms for me.

There is something extremely unusual about this case. I can't quite put it into words, just something very off

JMHO

Why have they not released the name of the man in Pella yet?

Well, he didn't commit any crime, so why should he not have a right to continued privacy? I mean, he's a creep and I wish we knew who he was. But legally it would seem unfair to "out" him. Especially since he (a) turned himself in and (b) didn't break any laws.

Why have they not released the name of the man in Pella yet?

Because they haven't determined if there was a crime.

Officers have questioned him and are still investigating the case but have not determined that he has committed any crime.

“There's no indication that there was criminal misconduct, but we still have not cleared the individual,” Pella Police Chief Robert Bokinsky said. “We’re gonna continue to pursue that. The information will be passed on to Poweshiek County.”

Source: Police 'continue to pursue' man taking photos of girls in Pella

[Sorry, jinx with like 3 other people...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads