Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant recall any case where LE appears to be using the family, neighbors, others close to her by proxy to disseminate the type of information we really need to understand what happened.

Never seen it. Usually LE themselves will try to clear things up and state some facts even if they are basic without giving away anything to help a perp.

This case is so bizarre in that LE is basically telling the public nothing but they appear to be sharing stuff with others and allowing others in the public to share it more globally. Its really bizarre
It seems to be coming from one source

So police only issued one statement about her clothes and it was the running outfit, not the denim and red shirt combo?

It appears that media is quoting LE, but I can't find a direct quote

I think we have to go with the direct quote for now

Authorities said Tibbetts may have been wearing denim shorts and a red T-shirt when she disappeared. Anyone with information has been asked to call police.

Fitbit may be key to finding Iowa student who went for a jog last week and hasn’t been seen since

So police only issued one statement about her clothes and it was the running outfit, not the denim and red shirt combo?
The red shirt was mentioned a lot in the first couple days but not after that so much.

Here's an early FB post from the Poweshiek County Emergency Management Agency that mentions it, which is also reposted on the county sheriff's page: Poweshiek County Emergency Management Agency

LE said tat they were looking for people who may have been in Brooklyn on the night of the 18th. I would guess that they are doing a cell phone tower dump, which will give them all cell phone #s in the area during a specific time. This could be very useful. jmo

I am having a hard time with the contacts and glasses thing. I guess it’s the Optician in me. First of all, had Mollie disconnected and went off grid, she would need a supply of contacts. Hopefully they have spoken to her eye professional and determined when she got contacts/glasses last and accounted or not accounted for glasses and contacts. I have looked at her pictures and even in her running photos she isn’t wearing glasses and as a Optician, most people cannot wear contacts running due to oncoming air/wind drying them out. Also, had she been abducted and was wearing glasses and a struggle occurred, those glasses have came off. I would be on the lookout for lost eyewear in this town. Either in the land field or garbage crew pickups. Eyewear is like a fingerprint, very individual: specific sphere, cylinder, axis, pd, Optical Center, prism, frame size, color, model. I think it was the Leopold and Loeb case where a pair of eyeglasses busted the case wide open. Even the best disposable contacts today we are looking at max wear of four weeks continuous wear.

Maybe they are *purposely* wanting to come across an inept? I highly doubt they really are. Time will tell. Prayers for Mollie.

I am sorry but no. If they were actually doing that they would only be insulting themselves, media, and general public. Tactics are one thing...purposely trying to look inept is another.

I don’t find this confusing at all. I’ve said all along that Mollie’s disappearance was volentary because that’s what the evidence says.
I'm not ruling anything out because I don't feel as though we have enough information to draw conclusions. But I keep coming back to the fact that Mollie didn't have access to a car that night, which means IF she left voluntarily: 1) She went somewhere on foot, 2) She went somewhere by bus/taxi if that's a possibility, or 3) She voluntarily went somewhere with someone who has a vehicle. If 1) is true, she must be fairly close. If 2) is true, she would have needed to buy a ticket and take some cash AND people on the bus would have recognized her. If 3) is true, then who did she go with? Maybe she went voluntarily with someone who had nefarious motives. Maybe that person tricked her into going with him with some ruse like "your mother had an accident, get in, I will take you to the hospital!" Just kicking around ideas. MOO

I am having a hard time with the contacts and glasses thing. I guess it’s the Optician in me. First of all, had Mollie disconnected and went off grid, she would need a supply of contacts. Hopefully they have spoken to her eye professional and determined when she got contacts/glasses last and accounted or not accounted for glasses and contacts. I have looked at her pictures and even in her running photos she isn’t wearing glasses and as a Optician, most people cannot wear contacts running due to oncoming air/wind drying them out. Also, had she been abducted and was wearing glasses and a struggle occurred, those glasses have came off. I would be on the lookout for lost eyewear in this town. Either in the land field or garbage crew pickups. Eyewear is like a fingerprint, very individual: specific sphere, cylinder, axis, pd, Optical Center, prism, frame size, color, model. I think it was the Leopold and Loeb case where a pair of eyeglasses busted the case wide open. Even the best disposable contacts today we are looking at max wear of four weeks continuous wear.

I was thinking along those lines. I could never run with contacts in. They irritated my eyes and felt very dry. I thought maybe distance running wouldn’t have been as bad with them since it’s a slower pace, but they didn’t work very well for me when sprinting or running <800m

but they have not been to clear on the contact thing. Either they found boxes of contacts or they found contacts in their case soaking in saline solution. If they were soaking then most likely she was sleeping or getting ready

"Her phone and the Fitbit were not in the home, but her wallet, identification, laptop, glasses and contact lenses were." (from: Mollie Tibbetts searchers get Fitbit information)

It would certainly be helpful if they clarified how concerning it was that they contacts were there. To me- it wouldn't be concerning at all if boxes were there, but it's more concerning if they were there soaking.

My impression from the way it is discussed is that they are talking about the lenses being in a case and not the boxes. They are listing them with the likes of her wallet, identification, etc. To me, this implies it is surprising or concerning that they were left there, or they are suggesting it was something she would have had on her if she was going out. There's no reason to be surprised that she didn't take a box of new contacts with her.

There were three known vectors on her life this summer. Her return home and her summer job; her new living arrangements and her pending foreign trip ostensibly for this weekend. Two of those had already occurred. One was about two weeks out at the time she went missing. Had she brought a new dress or shoes for the wedding? Had she talked about outfits with friends or family? Other publicly shared trip prep?

She had a brand new passport according to her mom. And a ticket to the Dominicans Republic. Those two items give her options. In the time period between Weds. night when she was last seen and when she was actually reported missing, she could have easily grabbed a flight from Des Moines cashing in her DR ticket and head quickly to Minneapolis or Chicago to hop on the late night outbound flights somewhere oversees. It would all be about timing. It would be possible to escape notice at customs if nobody notified interagency LE or Interpol. By the time it would be discovered she would be long gone. I did a quick Interpol search and nothing came up with her name.

Just another theory to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member