Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised they stated there would be another presser Friday. I wonder if they plan to release something/anything? Otherwise it will only serve to keep Mollies name out there. Again.

They apparently just want the media to save all their questions for the press conference, so they can refuse to answer all the questions at the same time. I expect that the Friday PC will just be another 15 minutes of absolutely nothing except the investigators praising themselves for the great job they are doing.

I was thinking along those lines. I could never run with contacts in. They irritated my eyes and felt very dry. I thought maybe distance running wouldn’t have been as bad with them since it’s a slower pace, but they didn’t work very well for me when sprinting or running <800m

It's amazing how personal of a preference this is. I can only run in contacts. The combination of sweat on my face and glasses just annoys me so much.

I believe the PC is part of the 'game' IMO they know or have suspicions as to who has/had her and are building a case. I don't think they know where Mollie is but I do believe they have an idea what's happened to her. I really believe she's come to harm unfortunately and are watching someone closely waiting for them to slip up. they seemed awful uncomfortable doing the PC and I think that's because they know she's no longer with us but need to make it seem they are none the wiser for now. I hope I'm wrong but I think we're in for a surprise. the police can tell the public anything they want, true or untrue to help the investigation. MOO

While you are not wrong in that they can tell us what they want and how they want...but they need to be careful if that is true. They are asking the public and family to trust them yet deliberately lying? If we look at that scenario, what is the end game in doing so? Tactics generally through PC's are giving a small bit of info to see who talks more than they should or put heat on someone. But lets say that is the case and this "POI" does something else...then what would they do? Yes they can monitor folks but that is a VERY dangerous game to play. I still contend as well with my background and knowledge...they probably have a lot of info from the digital devices. They are probably close to certain what the end result is...now they need motive, intent, POI/suspects etc. I've never seen LE purposely look inept or dumb for any purpose. Simply not sharing for a given reason or legit tactics sure.

They apparently just want the media to save all their questions for the press conference, so they can refuse to answer all the questions at the same time. I expect that the Friday PC will just be another 15 minutes of absolutely nothing except the investigators praising themselves for the great job they are doing.

Or they are making "someone" feel very comfortable.

Even the best disposable contacts today we are looking at max wear of four weeks continuous wear.

Not saying I approve of this, but my kids are all adults (college age) and I can't force them to do anything different than what they do.

They wear their contacts for many months longer than they are supposed to (theirs are, I believe to be worn 2 weeks). The eye doctor always compliments them on how healthy their eyes are. They don't take them out until they are obviously on their last leg or they get something in an eye. The eye dr. tries to sell us a year's supply at a time and the kids always insist one box will be more than enough to get them through the year. And it does. And they have some left when I take them in again.

I do not believe she left voluntarily, but if she did, I don't think she would necessarily be worried about stocking up on lenses. Her mind would be on other things.

She had a brand new passport according to her mom. And a ticket to the Dominicans Republic. Those two items give her options. In the time period between Weds. night when she was last seen and when she was actually reported missing, she could have easily grabbed a flight from Des Moines cashing in her DR ticket and head quickly to Minneapolis or Chicago to hop on the late night outbound flights somewhere oversees. It would all be about timing. It would be possible to escape notice at customs if nobody notified interagency LE or Interpol. By the time it would be discovered she would be long gone. I did a quick Interpol search and nothing came up with her name.

Just another theory to think about.

That would be easy to track.

"Her phone and the Fitbit were not in the home, but her wallet, identification, laptop, glasses and contact lenses were." (from: Mollie Tibbetts searchers get Fitbit information)

It would certainly be helpful if they clarified how concerning it was that they contacts were there. To me- it wouldn't be concerning at all if boxes were there, but it's more concerning if they were there soaking.

My impression from the way it is discussed is that they are talking about the lenses being in a case and not the boxes. They are listing them with the likes of her wallet, identification, etc. To me, this implies it is surprising or concerning that they were left there, or they are suggesting it was something she would have had on her if she was going out. There's no reason to be surprised that she didn't take a box of new contacts with her.
like i said it means she was most likely getting ready

I believe they have a POI but no evidence and need someone in the town to speak up. It seems like a close knit town and everyone is covering for everyone, no one wants to believe their friend/neighbour/family etc would be capable.

<modsnipped>

Last edited by a moderator:
MONTEZUMA, Iowa – The mother of a 20-year-old Iowa college student who vanished nearly two weeks ago says the drawn-out search for her daughter has been torturous. Mollie Tibbetts' mother, Laura Calderwood, told CBS affiliate KCCI-TV that even though Tibbetts has been missing for so long, she is determined to find her daughter.

"The first night she went missing, I was distraught," Calderwood said. "I knew her phone was dead, but I sent her a text saying, 'I love you. We're looking for you. We will find you no matter what.'"

Mother of missing Iowa college student recounts last text she sent to daughter

She had a brand new passport according to her mom. And a ticket to the Dominicans Republic. Those two items give her options. In the time period between Weds. night when she was last seen and when she was actually reported missing, she could have easily grabbed a flight from Des Moines cashing in her DR ticket and head quickly to Minneapolis or Chicago to hop on the late night outbound flights somewhere oversees. It would all be about timing. It would be possible to escape notice at customs if nobody notified interagency LE or Interpol. By the time it would be discovered she would be long gone. I did a quick Interpol search and nothing came up with her name.

If she did that, it would be known. The passport is looked at many times. She would need id to go on any plane

I have not had things shake out that way with plane tickets I have had. If I wanted to cancel or switch flights, there was usually such a big fee to make the change that it was going to cost as much as the ticket itself had.

I believe they have a POI but no evidence and need someone in the town to speak up. It seems like a close knit town and everyone is covering for everyone, no one wants to believe their friend/neighbour/family etc would be capable.

A new reward is now offered at $30,000 on the Finding Mollie Tibbetts FB Page (family run page). Let's hope some loose lips start flapping.

This. Yes. Unfortunately money "talks"...

Not saying I approve of this, but my kids are all adults (college age) and I can't force them to do anything different than what they do.

They wear their contacts for many months longer than they are supposed to (theirs are, I believe to be worn 2 weeks). The eye doctor always compliments them on how healthy their eyes are. They don't take them out until they are obviously on their last leg or they get something in an eye. The eye dr. tries to sell us a year's supply at a time and the kids always insist one box will be more than enough to get them through the year. And it does. And they have some left when I take them in again.

I do not believe she left voluntarily, but if she did, I don't think she would necessarily be worried about stocking up on lenses. Her mind would be on other things.
My grown kids are the same. Drives me insane lol
But mine would stock up in fear of losing some even if away for a few days. I haven't formed an opinion about what happened to Mollie yet. Praying she comes home safe
jmo

I had had it with attempting to sleuth this case after the most recent presser but, true to form, I could not just drop it so I reviewed some things...

'She hated to be sad and hated others to be sad': Brotherly love for missing sister

bbm

Laura Calderwood was just getting back from an early morning of thinking about what else she could do to find her daughter.

////

last seen taking an evening run on July 18. Her longtime boyfriend, Dalton Jack, said he received a Snapchat at nearly 10 p.m., and it looked as if she was in a home. She never answered text messages after that.

The frustrating part for Calderwood is that agents are telling her they have few clues.

“A DCI agent told us she had been in this 23 years and this is the only case where there was nothing to go on,” Calderwood said.

////

She [MT's mother] took a call from an agent who was trying to determine if Mollie was in a home at 9:45 p.m., “and that was with my morning coffee.”

Snapchat collects various information from its users; this is the relevant point:
  • how you communicate with other Snapchatters, such as their names, the time and date of your communications, the number of messages you exchange with your friends, which friends you exchange messages with the most, and your interactions with messages (such as when you open a message or capture a screenshot).

And Snapchat's default Delete policy:

In most cases, opened Snaps are automatically deleted once they have been viewed or have expired. Also, any unopened Snaps are deleted after 30 days.

We may comfortably assume LE has obtained MT's and DJ' communication information from Snapchat but are unable to view the Snapchat content. MT's snap was deleted after DJ viewed it.

With all that, we may safely conclude:

The previously reported "10:00 pm" time regarding the Snapchat DJ either 'received' or 'viewed' was likely sent by MT @ 9:45 pm. An agent called MT's mother to determine if MT was in "a home" at that time (curious: "a home", not "your home").

That was LE constructing pieces of their "accurate timeline".

We also may comfortably assume if MT had appeared as under duress (in uncomfortable presence of a perp) at the time the Snapchat image was captured and sent I believe DJ would have raised a red flag when he viewed the image.

IMO: MT had not gone 'missing' until after 9:45 pm July 18.

If MT wears her Fitbit to bed and has it set to record inactivity/sleep time then LE likely knows MT's activity after 9:45 pm... assuming that information was synced to MT's phone and uploaded to Fitbit servers.

And this...

Authorities search hog farm in Guernsey for Mollie Tibbetts

Iowa DCI agent Mitch Mortvedt has confirmed to KCCI that authorities searched several places including a hog farm near Guernsey for 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts.

Guernsey is about a 15 minute drive from her hometown of Brooklyn.

Mortvedt said the searches yielded no results.

///

Authorities have recently received information from Fitbit, but they haven't shared what they learned from that information yet.

Guernsey is ~11 miles from Brooklyn, the hog farm was likely closer but not necessarily by enough to support a jog route so why would LE search that far out?

This...

Hog farm searched, nothing found from Mollie Tibbetts

1. Investigators have been following up leads and conducting searches on a few properties the past 24 hours [July 25-26]. They haven't found any traces of Mollie.

2. These searches have not required a search warrant; folks are voluntarily allowing police on to their properties.

3. DCI would not confirm which hog farm was searched.

4. Mollie's Fitbit data is still being examined by investigators. They have not found her Fitbit.

This confirms in my mind that MT's Fitbit data placed the device(s) in the locations of the farm and other ~nearby properties... I see no other reason for LE to search very specific locations (plural) within a 24-hour period. They had to be going on hard data.

At that time LE focused on locations ~south of Brooklyn.

Given all of the above, IMO:

• LE knows when MT sent the Snapchat to DJ (9:45 pm). LE believes MT was not in duress at that time.

• LE knows when MT left the "home" where the Snapchat image was captured as per Fitbit data.

• Fitbit data led LE to search various properties southward from Brooklyn.

• LE knows when the Fitbit data feed was cut off. MT and Fitbit not found to date.

• LE regrouped and retraced their search steps by going back to the corn fields bordering Brooklyn.

• LE gave a mostly non-relevant presser, although IMO body language and hesitations bolster the theory that LE was able to build the timeline to a certain point... and no farther. They're still reviewing SM data, working tips gathered thus far and awaiting for that one tip that would lead them in the next proper direction.

I cant recall any case where LE appears to be using the family, neighbors, others close to her by proxy to disseminate the type of information we really need to understand what happened.

Never seen it. Usually LE themselves will try to clear things up and state some facts even if they are basic without giving away anything to help a perp.

This case is so bizarre in that LE is basically telling the public nothing but they appear to be sharing stuff with others and allowing others in the public to share it more globally. Its really bizarre

I wouldn't say that LE are using family and neighbors to release information as much as the family and neighbors are repeating what LE has told them during interviews... LE doesn't have to tell anyone the truth about anything during an interview, right?

"If" a passport had been tracked the Pressers would be very different. We would know that. There would be no need for locals to be reporting anything unusual that comes to mind etc. etc. LE may want to touch base with her to ensure she was fine but other than that she would simply be an adult who walked away. I have never believed from the start Mollie disappeared herself. I still don't.

I'm not sure it's plausible that a small town Iowa girl with no international travel experience could manage to evade authorities by getting on a plane or traveling overseas. She would need some identification in another name, and would have needed to get money to buy the ticket. If her DR ticket had been exchanged I'm certain the authorities would already know as this would be easy to check with the airline. With all the new regulations on identification for passengers since 9/11 and all the cameras at an airport I just highly doubt she would be able to pull that off undetected. They would have figured it out by now, and even if they weren't able to find her LE would have pulled most of their resources off the case and notified the public that no major crime had been committed.

I appreciate you throwing a theory out there, but that one just doesn't sound realistic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the pink sports top/bra and running shorts was what she was wearing the last time she was seen, not necessarily when she vanished?

The red t-shirt and denim shorts come into play because perhaps that was the typical outfit she wore on those camp field trip days at work, and after looking through her clothes, they might not have been there? If I recall, the mother said the red t-shirt was missing.

Of course, LE doesn't want to confirm any of this and keep everybody guessing. However, I believe there has been significant momentum in the possibility Mollie made it back to the house after the run.

I think disclosing this information to the neighbor Cullen isn't that far fetched. If the FitBit data said Mollie made it back after the run, it would make sense to ask Cullen to confirm this as a potential witness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur