IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #35

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if I am allowed to say this, but I believe (from LE's description) she succumbed from a head injury. I suspect she had expired before he put her in his car.

Let's see what the ME says.
I really hope so.

If he will plead guilty, the DA will accept it as long as he accepts responsibility and a sentence of life without parole. No state can conduct an expensive trial just to put on a show if the defendant has agreed to the above, imo. And most families do not want the ordeal of a trial...

Not saying this will happen but imo, it could and should.

The talk here about a change of venue is fascinating. It's surprising how little the public -- even members of a forum devoted to this stuff -- knows about how this works.

Have you ever heard of O.J. Simpson? Since the O.J. case, changes of venue rarely happen. Even before that, they rarely happened.

I'm pretty sure everyone in O.J.'s community was familiar with his case, had seen media coverage of it, etc. Knowledge of a case is not enough of a reason to move a trial. Knowledge of a case isn't even enough to disqualify a juror.

Hi - first time posting.. OJ’s trial was moved from Brentwood to LA county.. I hope this case doesn’t get moved, but the attorney should ask.. I am so sad about Mollie, I was crushed when they found her body :(

Apologies if I wasn't clear. I'm not baiting you. You made a vague statement that piqued my curiosity, so I asked for clarification. I'm interested in how it might be relevant to this case. Thank you.
I took it to mean her father didn’t want to hire anyone who may be hiding behind a false identity Bc if they aren’t who they say they are, they may be bad pookies.

If he will plead guilty, the DA will accept it as long as he accepts responsibility and a sentence of life without parole. No state can conduct an expensive trial just to put on a show if the defendant has agreed to the above, imo. And most families do not want the ordeal of a trial...

And no chance of parole!!!

But life doesn't happen in a vacuum. In any crime, there are peripheral factors.
It would be short-sighted to say that the employer doesn't matter here. They matter. They've been supporting him; and Rivera may not have been vetted according to the law.
That's not liberal thinking or conservative thinking; it's just a fact.
Its actually not a fact. The employer has absolutely nothing to do with this case. The person you responded to stated no one is to blame but the killer. You saying that the employer is a peripheral factor is not true. That they are supporting him and and it is short sighted not to acknowledge this is not a fact. Opinions can be challenged. You cannot challenge a fact.

I am very old. As I age I've realized that I, overall, judge less in black and white and see so much more grey than I did when I was younger (lol, the grandchildren love me for this). I've become so much more understanding and forgiving of mistakes and poor decisions as I've reflected on my own past.
But it angers me that a beautiful young soul can be murdered, her assailant can confess to the crime ~ and yet we are required by law to play the cards by all of the legal requirements. Was he crazy, sick, deprived, misled, manipulated, or otherwise less guilty? Really? The end result is the same: one person decided to take the life of another. Is is really fair to make the victim's family and loved one's lives to further suffer for years of trials and appeals (and publicity) to decide who did what to whom?
As an old and avid follower of the Caylee/Casey Anthony trial, I balk at seeing this person (he is not even a "man" in my mind) have the same opportunity to escape the consequences of his horrendous actions. Casey Anthony's life today has soured me on our legal system. Juries can fail and legal doesn't alway equal justice.
Praying for Mollie's family and loved ones. Life is NOT fair! Hoping the avid WSers here may sleuth out and find facts the State can use in their case.
xoxo from EU

Wise words indeed. Thank you~

This case reminded me of Dru Sjodin's case for us midwesterners. That person had raped another girl before stalking and killing Dru. I wouldn't be surprised if this person did the same.

Not only raped another woman, but stabbed her.

And that pile of digested food is still filing appeals and sitting on death row 15 yrs later. He'll die of old age before they execute him.

Most likely, the SSN belongs to someone who is NOT deceased, but who has willingly sold their own SSN over and over. Yes, it happens. All the time. This happens to be an area where I have much experience and knowledge.

More than likely, CR used a check cashing service to cash his paycheck and probably has little or no actual identification in his real name with him here in the US. MOO.

RBBM

Interesting. I have heard of this and would like to know more. I don't want to hijack the thread with discussing this; can you reference anything online that I can read?

TIA.

Thanks Alethea, I was reading it as her clothes were in the same location as her body, not necessarily on her body.

Pray she was not alive when he left her in the corn field!

I could be wrong but I think they just meant for identification purposes. We found a body, and CR said it was Mollie and the clothing matches what we expected Mollie to be wearing, so we think it's Mollie.

I do think we'll find out there was a SA but I don't think they meant to imply it in the identification section there.

I'm hoping the same. My fear is that he'll take a plea and then he'll be deported, and then what? He gets walked to the turnstile, goes through and is now a free man? Would Mexico uphold his conviction?

How long, I wonder, was he engaging her before she threatened to call the police? I have to assume she wouldn't necessarily threaten that the moment he started jogging alongside her. What it sounds like is he drove alongside her, then got out and started jogging with her for at least a few minutes, probably engaging her in conversation - which she repeatedly rebuffed until she eventually threatened to call the police and pushed off ahead of him. At this point he gave chase and subdued her. It doesn't sound as though she was ever able to even try to dial 911. She may not have even seen the attack coming if he attacked her from behind as she ran ahead.

If a man ever approaches a woman on an isolated part of a running trail, it's going to be bad news. Don't threaten to call the police. Pull out your phone and call them.

He is a native of Mexico and English isn’t his first language. Those translators are there so that they can make sure he cannot state he didn’t understand the proceedings and therefore wasn’t able to participate in his own defense.

If it bothers people so much, try thinking of it this way. They aren’t there to benefit CR. They are there to protect Mollie’s right to justice.
His intelligence level is the equivalency of a seventh grader! I'm sure he has problems with his own language. I wouldn't worry about a translater giving him any benefit at all. And as you say, it is absolutely necessary for a translator to be there to ensure Justice for Mollie. If it were possible, I'd want a tutor there to help make sure he understands every last detail!

Link, please, showing the SSN CR used was not only fake but a stolen identity? tia

EuTuCroquet: Apologies. I should have put JMVHO after my statement. I was only speculating.

Other posters stating SSN was sold or stolen are probably going down the right path.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I think they just meant for identification purposes. We found a body, and CR said it was Mollie and the clothing matches what we expected Mollie to be wearing, so we think it's Mollie.

I do think we'll find out there was a SA but I don't think they meant to imply it in the identification section there.
Sadly I think so too.

I don’t think he was looking for a jogging partner or someone to just talk to and if reports are correct, he’s behaved this way with at least one other girl in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charity4668