IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #37

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense but I don't really think you have ever read some of the lyrics on Narcocorridos songs. That type of music is not only disrespectful to women. It goes much much much further than that. The lyrics of some of the most popular songs are about different methods of torture. In fact the vocabulary used in them is so explicit these are not played on Mexican TV channels and are banned from all media there. CR even had pictures, on his FB profile, of one of the singers who has long been suspected of being fond of employing sicarios in Guerrero.
I’m aware of them, as I am as to what is going on right now in Mexico. My point is that listening to music, even music like that, doesn’t mean that you necessarily practice that lifestyle. If you can show me something that proves that everyone who listens to that music, practices what is contained in those lyrics, then you’d have a point.

I don’t understand bringing the child either. She’s young enough not to know what’s going on, but there isn’t much of a benefit. If this was at trial, I could atleast understand it, as it would be a message to the jury that CS is a good guy.
From her perspective though her family has just been torn apart and that child likely won’t be seeing her daddy much for the rest of her life. Totally messed up situation, but CR’s girlfriend and their daughter are victims of something they didn’t deserve either.

At this stage of grief there is no comfort. They have barely braced against being told she’s dead.

Law enforcement had to go to her mothers house and face the family as they opened the door instantly realizing the news wasn’t that Mollie would ever be home again. Gone were her voice, her innocence and every goood innocent thing about Mollie Tibbetts. No more laughter, no more calls from their child, Mollie was dead.

They had to endure seeing Rivera’s photo for the first time, and perhaps they didn’t turn in the tv to see his face or to watch his mother look on as scared as the Tibbets family was the first day Mollie was missing.

Then three short days later another horrific realization. This monster from within the innocent community had hunted her down chased her terrified until he won. She died a slow painful death be stabbing. In the trunk of a car.

Millie’s family couldn’t do anything to help her or make the pain any less. It had lasted an hour. 60 long minutes of terror for their only little girl.

The final human desecration would be Millie’s tiny body laying in the soul of a farm so close yet to far to help her now. For 5 long hot weeks her body laid under the brilliant blazing sun while insects began the final stage of life. Her body wasn’t beautiful when law enforcement was guided to the field of corn. The soil that gives life also takes it away breaking down nutrients to nurture food for the next generation.

Comfort?? No I don’t think they found any comfort in anything for 5 long weeks.

The only comfort I can begin to think they may have experienced is a strong faith in God, in each other and the people who reach out to them every day.

And there will be no comfort if they discover even more heinous facts when final autopsy reports are handed to them along with a death certificate all neatly packaged in a pale ivory folder from the funeral home.

There will be little comfort for the Tibbetts family. There lives will never be “comfortable” or the same again.

Wow! Very nicely written!!

From what I have seen on facebook, CR's ex girlfriend has a infant son. Not sure is she is a mother of two or not.

Juries and trials...someone earlier (can't find it) stated that they believed jurors take their job seriously. I agree and believe everyone understands the severity of getting it wrong, especially in a life sentence/death penalty case. Most would be as conscientious as possible taking notes if necessary and open discussion during deliberation.

It's impossible to find a jury anywhere that didn't have knowledge of this case and those that followed it to the end form an opinion or lean in a certain direction. That doesn't mean they can't be impartial. I for one believe he is guilty BUT I also understand how serious it is and would with utmost care take notes and listen to all perspective during deliberation. I would want a juror like myself if I were ever on trial.

Hubby on jury duty was selected for a trial. Sexual assault case with a rotating pro-bono attorney representing the defendant. Hubby said during the trial he felt just about certain the guy was guilty BUT he said the attorney basically put on a crappy case for his client. There were points he should have made but neglected to (heavily reported prior to the trial) that leaned in the defense favor so he couldn't consider them. The prosecution on the other hand presented some evidence which hubby felt could go either way and if it leaned towards the defendent, he had the duty to side with the guy on trial. End of the trial his gut was the guy was guilty as sin BUT that one witness the prosecution put on that made him realize it could very well have gone the other way which would mean the guy was not guilty, he felt compelled during deliberation to bring it up and discuss it. No other juror agreed with him. He listened to all those wishing to speak on it and nothing they said changed his mind. I forget exactly how it went but I do recall the gist of it was it was very possible someone else did it and that someone else had already been named during the trial as he was present during and after the assault. Bottom line he wouldn't give in and slowly the others came around. They voted not guilty.

BTW when he came home and I asked him how it went he said I think I just caused a rapist to go free. This verdict bothered him so much that he had problems sleeping at night. We have a daughter was 27 at the time and the victim was 28. It weighed on him so much that the next time he was called for jury duty he didn't want to even go even though I had been telling him he did the right thing since the end of the trial. He said he just didn't want to get it wrong again because he really did believe the guy was guilty BUT there was testimony given under oath in the courtroom that POSSIBLY could exonerate the guy. In my opinion he is the perfect juror that defense especially would want on a criminal case.
Well said. As a long time federal court civil defense trial attorney I can tell you jurors always take cases, no matter how big or small, very seriously. Most try not to get picked but once they do jurors flip a switch and do their duty as citizens every time and actually say they enjoyed it. One jury actually asked if they could stay and do "the next case" lol. So I have observed the system works and good citizens do their civic duty. Courts and lawyers weed out those potential jurors who will not do their duty during the jury selection process. We can spot them right away typically...Our system works and is the best in the world IMHO

Is there any chance that he's just a fall guy for someone else? I know it's pretty far-fetched, but the whole thing makes no sense to me. When LE comes, he willingly goes with them (not a bad idea, more should do it!), he almost immediately confesses to basically everything except the details of the actual crimes (except for disposing of her body), someone hires an attorney for him who people say seems pretty incompetent, and someone is trying to collect money to bail him out. It almost seems like someone used his car and committed the abduction and murder (and whatever else happened), but has somehow made him say he did it. If someone threatened him and/or someone he cares about, he might confess to avoid the same fate MT had. The bail money collection could just be someone looking for some quick cash, knowing they won't collect enough to get him out, or it could be someone who wants to get him out so they can stage a quick "suicide". Sorry, I'd be totally surprised if any part of this was true, but I hate sitting around waiting for justice to prevail and don't want to switch cases yet. MOO

RBBM I also thought of this scenario. I don't believe it, but it crossed my mind as well, not about the car, but about evidence tampering and scapegoating. It would have to be someone awfully powerful to do all of this & since the FBI was heavily involved, it's not likely at all. Like not even .1% likely IMO.

JMO
That is my understanding too. People were wondering how LE got him to confess and tell where the body was and I think LE could have easily just lied to him and told him that he could go free if he told where the body was.

I think that is a perfectly legal LE tactic if they choose to use it. They probably dont like to have to go there but if it meant breaking him and they knew he did it from the blood in the car then I could see where LE may have used that tactic.

Miranda rights mainly gives the defendant the right to remain silent if they wish and the right to an attorney and other things during questioning. But it doesnt mean LE had to be truthful with him during questioning.

If we have any legal eagles here that can chime in about this it would help us.

It would depend how it was worded and the totality of the circumstances, but generally LE can't tell someone they will go free if that's not true. They can lie about a lot of things (physical evidence, eyewitness testimony, whether or not they are recording, etc.) in an interrogation, but generally not that.

I cannot understand his baby mama coming to court with his daughter. IMO that seems like a form of child abuse........intentionally bringing a little daughter into a courtroom where her daddy is being accused of murder of a young woman! WTH? Seem like it could do some psychological damage to the little girl. Plus I think she should never be allowed to see him again. He murdered an innocent woman for no good reason! There is no good reason he should have any parenting rights! Imo it is not in her best interest. Hopefully his gf will come to this realization.

Totally, this was just weird. ETA Maybe they are attempting to taint the jury pool...

The Central Park Five confessed to a heinous crime they didn't commit. I think confessions that aren't true do indeed happen. But all the defense teams needs to say is that CR confessed to cover someone else or he confessed because he was scared or whatever. The defense will indeed say something about the confession, imo. They aren't going to lay down and do nothing in defense, whether we like it or not. CR didn't confess to murder. He "only" confessed to abducting Mollie and dumping her. There is wiggle room there for a defense team, imo.

AGAIN, I THINK CR IS THE PERP. I have to keep repeating that, knowing some WSers will think I'm defending him...but I AM NOT DEFENDING HIM.

I'm trying to anticipate what the defense team is working on, even if others here aren't that interested...I guess I get that. Not everyone has the same interests on cases.

jmo

Itd, I think it's always a good idea to try to anticipate what the other side's going to use as their argument. IMO, CR's lawyer will try to "float" a few defenses out in the court of public opinion to see which will play best to a jury. Whatever defense he mounts is going to be weak sauce in the face of the evidence the prosecution will bring. That is JMO, and as my mom always says, "I would never want you on the jury if I was a defendant!"

Yes it is but if he shared that car with others (since it wasn't registered to him), there's probably other DNA and possible hair or fibers that could have been transferred to her. And you know her attorney will do with that.

True, they will try. I bet he left blood/bodily fluids evidence on her and that will be crucial.

It would depend how it was worded and the totality of the circumstances, but generally LE can't tell someone they will go free if that's not true. They can lie about a lot of things (physical evidence, eyewitness testimony, whether or not they are recording, etc.) in an interrogation, but generally not that.

Probably something generic like "If you tell us where her body is, we can work with you''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danielrosini