IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #37

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about this last night as well. I agree, seems off to send a snap to your bf saying goodnight long before you're actually going to bed. Do we know for sure it said "goodnight"? I can't recall that detail. And the People article where Mitch Mortvedt says he can't comment on if she was held for any period of time after being taken...it makes me wonder.

It could just be that she was acknowledging that he had to get up early so was going to bed early

They did but you have to understand how vast this area is. The town and buildings/houses therein are a very small percentage of area. Miles upon miles of fields with all kinds of other smells, environmental factors, weather, etc. They had searched close to where her body was found but not close enough for dogs to pick it up.

Real LE dogs aren't like the movies where they put a piece of the person's clothing under the dog's nose and they immediately race over to where they are at. Even the best LE dogs can't pick up a scent miles upon miles away.

I'm just not sure it's all that "vast". It is in the open, it is covered with corn fields but just not "vast".
IMO

I am wondering the blocked/blacked out thing. Maybe CR thinks they are one in the same which would bring us back to he speaks English but might not understand the difference in words.
I think that he likely means the same thing, regardless of the word he used. I’ve said it before, but that excuse (blacking/blocking out) is ubiquitous in murder confessions. I simply take this to mean that he claims he doesn’t remember the events between first contact, and murder. Which is complete nonsense.

I think the strongest argument that the defense has at this time is tainted jury pool. Politicians in the highest office have declared the suspect guilty. Either the Judge has to declare that the opinions of those politicians do not influence what people believe, or the Judge has to accept that the opinions of those politicians do influence what people believe and there is not a city or town in the country where the jury pool is not tainted.

The defense can further argue that he did everything possible to minimize information that was made public, and that it is the court that chose to publicize all information.
I think the defense will try to plant doubt that the driver of the car seen on video was actually CR. Maybe it was someone else who has access to that car. Maybe CR confessed to protect someone else and his "blocking out" really means that he doesn't know the details of how she died because he wasn't there. Or maybe CR was present at the time, but wasn't the one who actually killed her. If DNA shows a SA by him, he can say he assaulted her, but didn't stab her but someone else did. He wouldn't necessarily have to name that other person - all they need to do is plant reasonable doubt.

I think there is room for a defense to be built. Whether it's true and/or believable is up to the jury.

FWIW, I think he's the perp from what we know, so please don't take this post as a defense of him. I'm pointing out possible ideas the lawyer might use. I am placing hope on lots and lots of DNA and other physical evidence that proves beyond reasonable doubt this is the perp.

JMOpinion.

I think the strongest argument that the defense has at this time is tainted jury pool. Politicians in the highest office have declared the suspect guilty. Either the Judge has to declare that the opinions of those politicians do not influence what people believe, or the Judge has to accept that the opinions of those politicians do influence what people believe and there is not a city or town in the country where the jury pool is not tainted.

The defense can further argue that he did everything possible to minimize information that was made public, and that it is the court that chose to publicize all information.

One must give the every day citizen greater credit than this.
Politicians and the media are greatly distrusted by the majority of people.

Part of the charge to a jury is they must evaluate the evidence presented only.
There is a voir dire process for a reason.

If the defense attorney does continue with his current agenda, he will see little to no sympathy for any arguments presented to a judge, due to his own actions, not anyone else.

He had a translator. They handled this professionally. It's going to be hard for him to claim he didn't understand or that LE is lying.
Do you know he had one at the scene? The initial visit to the farm?

When you live in Iowa, every cornfield can look different. The corners are different, the road is different etc... When you get used to something, you can tell the differences. I grew up in Iowa and my friends would give me directions and I couldn't see the difference. There are subtle differences locals can see.

Yes such as take a right at the split oak tree or the barn you can't really see but it is there....lol
Yes locals know the land.

It could just be that she was acknowledging that he had to get up early so was going to bed early
We do not know what the caption was; he could not recall. Likely sent as a “hey, hi” and nothing else.

This makes sense to me, and seems pretty common, that a murder suspect's family members are baffled by their arrest. If he wasn't overtly violent or whacky to their knowledge, and kept to his work and himself for the most part, it would be surprising that he was capable of such a heinous crime.

I think this is why LE had said the perp could be hiding in plain sight. He could have appeared to be an everyday member of the community for all intents and purposes - he worked there, ate at the local restaurant, had an ex-wife and child and extended family in the area, had a sister who went to the local HS... and with no known history of violence before this crime he's been charged with, I can see how they'd be baffled.

JMO
I agree with others that the police interview with him will be real interesting in how it led to his confession and sharing of where he hid the body.

This is a question as I really dont know for sure but cant LE outright lie to a person they are questioning and isnt that totally legal?

For instance. LE may have promised him he could go free if he just told them where he took the body.

If the defense attorney does continue with his current agenda, he will see little to no sympathy for any arguments presented to a judge, due to his own actions, not anyone else.

I think there is one thing most people in the country can agree on and that is your comment that the majority do not trust politicians or the media. We all get each slants things in their own direction. No matter what side you are on, we can all agree on this.

Exactly right, the voir dire process exists for that very reason. Any information other then what is testified to under oath in that courtroom can not even be considered during deliberation. That is why opening and closing statements are NOT evidence in a trial either. Unless someone gets on the stand and testifies to what a prosecutor or defense says in opening statements it is just fluffery and useless propaganda.

What does the law say about senior politicians declaring people guilty at the time of arrest? Is that allowed? This strikes me as something that could completely violate the presumption of innocent until proven guilty.

What does the law say about senior politicians declaring people guilty at the time of arrest? Is that allowed? This strikes me as something that could completely violated the presumption of innocent until proven guilty.
It’s freedom of speech, but opens the door to the defense to claim that the suspect can’t get a fair trial. Fortunately a jury isn’t seated yet, and won’t be for a while. In that case (seated jury), the defense would have a much better argument.

My opinion on the defense lawyer - he appears to be a bit of a baffoon and grandstander. That being said, the burden of proof is on the prosecutor to prove CR committed this crime beyond a resonable doubt. One key role of a defense attorney is to build resonable doubt in the minds of the jury. Good defense attorneys have this skill honed, especially criminal defense attorneys. The best criminal defense lawyers are exceptional at this skill. This guy seems to be someone used to getting DWI cases or the like (no offense intended to lawyers here who handle DWI cases), etc. If this does go to trial, I am not so sure this attorney can do it or do it alone. If CR has a solid attorney representing him, then mistrials, lengthy appeals, etc. may be less likely.

I am not a lawyer. This is my own opinion.

I now personally think that he is the Columbo of the Iowa Bar. I'm waiting to see if he turns to a witness in open court, and asks: "just one more thing". Also, I want to know, does he own a Beagle, and what does he drive? Inquiring minds want to know!

Mollie Tibbetts case: What we know about her accused killer

Here is the article I was hunting . UNDER the LIMITED ENGISH bullet . He would come to Brooklyn - wasn't every day it was 'every couple of days or so" to the Caseys.

"Rhonda Petersen, an employee at a Casey’s gas station in downtown Brooklyn, said Rivera would come into the store "every couple days or so" after work, get something to eat and leave. Peterson said she didn’t talk with him because he mostly spoke Spanish. She said she hasn’t seen him in Casey’s for "probably a couple weeks at least.""

Made me wonder how often Mollie's parents or family or friends or LE was at that Caseys following the abduction?
Mollie Tibbetts case: What we know about her accused killer

Here is the article I was hunting . UNDER the LIMITED ENGISH bullet . He would come to Brooklyn - wasn't every day it was 'every couple of days or so" to the Caseys.

"Rhonda Petersen, an employee at a Casey’s gas station in downtown Brooklyn, said Rivera would come into the store "every couple days or so" after work, get something to eat and leave. Peterson said she didn’t talk with him because he mostly spoke Spanish. She said she hasn’t seen him in Casey’s for "probably a couple weeks at least.""

Made me wonder how often Mollie's parents or family or friends or LE was at that Caseys following the abduction?

Thank you!

I think there is one thing most people in the country can agree on and that is your comment that the majority do not trust politicians or the media. We all get each slants things in their own direction. No matter what side you are on, we can all agree on this.

Exactly right, the voir dire process exists for that very reason. Any information other then what is testified to under oath in that courtroom can not even be considered during deliberation. That is why opening and closing statements are NOT evidence in a trial either. Unless someone gets on the stand and testifies to what a prosecutor or defense says in opening statements it is just fluffery and useless propaganda.

JMO
Correct And for the trials I have watched where certain things were stated in the courtroom that the jurors should not have heard then the judge simply instructs the jury to disregard it and not use it in any deliberations.

I dont think they will have any problem finding and seating a jury. Some people dont watch TV at all. I know its hard to believe but there are plenty that dont watch any TV or like to read the newspaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79