IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #41

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it's certainly an option, but just not likely Rivera would be singing hymns in church, or sitting around in a coffee shop, chatting.

Right, but I was replying to a post saying he had no other options to meet women. I was just saying there were other ways to meet new women. Just not the ways he preferred.

I agree, which is why I hope any church in Brooklyn, IA, or anywhere really, would not be a place to meet people to hook-up.

You've obviously never been the 60 year old single guy in a church with several slightly older ladies. :p JK . Well, kinda JK anyway. I couldn't resist! My sister says I am too picky in my old age, or else I would have dates every night.

Last edited:
Church wasn't an option? Community events, not an option? Sitting in a coffee shop and making small talk, not an option?

No other details.

BBM

“.....Investigators have no information that Tibbetts and Rivera knew each other personally, Mortvedt said.

There is nothing that we have come across as of yet that shows they had any type of relationship," he said. "And I don’t mean intimate dating, I mean friendship, acquaintance, what have you."

"He had mentioned I believe that he had seen her before, in what context I don’t know if it was just in passing or had seen her in town somewhere, but it sounded like he at least had recognized her," he added...”

Suspect in Mollie Tibbetts' death 'hadn't come across the radar'

There is no coffee shop in town. Community events are few and they’re mostly family or kids things. No idea whether he’s a part of a church or not. As terrible as this is, it’s reality: there aren’t going to be a lot of opportunities for the illegal Mexican farm workers to mingle and socialize outside of the Hispanic community.

No coffee shop in town?

The Classic Deli & Ice Cream Shoppe - Home - Brooklyn, Iowa - Menu ...
Facebook - Log In or Sign Up › Places › Brooklyn, Iowa › Fast Food Restaurant
Rating: 4.8 - ‎153 votes
American Restaurant in Brooklyn, Iowa. People talk about pork tenderloin, pecan pie and pasta salad. See reviews and recommendations.

Denny's - 4175 Highway 21, Brooklyn, Iowa (IA)
Denny's Restaurant Locations Directory › IA › Brooklyn
America's diner in Brooklyn, IA is always open, serving breakfast around the clock ... See our menu items that have been verified by the National Restaurant ...

Casey's | BROOKLYN, IA | Gas, Pizza, Subs, Donuts

Casey’s | BROOKLYN, IA | Gas, Pizza, Subs, Donuts
106 W 2ND ST, (641) 522-3188, Mon-Sun 4:30 AM - 11:00 PM.

Dunkin' Donuts
4124 V18 Road, Brooklyn

Last edited:
It most certainly can be.
That is a digital footprint.

I have seen nothing to verify that the 8:28 is associated with 1900 385 Avenue.
Some may assume this to be a fact.

You're kinda right, except that the arrest warrant implies that the Homocide occurred at the 1900 block of 385th Ave, and that MT was dead by 20:28. Look at the 2nd page form in the arrest warrant application.

You've obviously never been the 60 year old single guy in a church with several slightly older ladies. :p JK Well, kinda JK anyway. Okay yes, JK, but I couldn't resist! My sister says I am too picky in my old age, or else I would have dates every night.

YES, so true. When my fatherinlaw was widowed, he'd go to church on Sunday and return home with a half a dozen homemade meals and casseroles, that 'hopeful' ladies brought for him. LOL

Sorry, some of these quotes are really old, but I decided to respond to them anyway.
I would think that to introduce reasonable doubt of another perpetrator there would have to be some DNA evidence, no? Jmo
There doesn't have to be DNA evidence to convince a jury of a crime, so I don't see why it would be needed to prove there was an accomplice. MOO

Per affidavit: "The Defendant was able to use his phone to determine the route he traveled from Brooklyn. Rivera then later guided law enforcement to her location from memory."

Key words, "...route he traveled from Brooklyn." If he had "blocked" his "memory," then how could he determine the route he took from Brooklyn? IMO, there are only two reasonable explanations: 1) He hadn't "blocked" out the drive from his memory, therefore is caught in a lie, or 2) he used his phone on 7/18 to determine a location to dump her from the area he abducted her near Brooklyn, and it was still on his phone 5 weeks later for him to reference.
I believe he was saying he checked his GPS to see exactly where he was, but I could be way off. MOO

I see you are still enjoying your "refreshments!" I could go for a nice cold drink myself. It has been unseasonly hot where I am. I'm not surprised about the news, although I haven't been paying much attention. Good thing. If I have learned anything on this site is how inaccurately the news is reported! I have pretty much settled on what I believe happened as well. It is kind of based on Oscars razor, or Oshkosh, or whatever it is. Based on all the facts we have, the simplest scenario. Tried to analyze the importance of the earbud, why the phone wasn't turned off, etc. for too long. He stalked her, chased her down, and brutally murdered her in a fit of rage. That much we know. We may never know the details. I would be surprised if SA did not play a role, although the kill alone may have satisfied his needs. Not sure if this will go to trial, I hope not. I'm assuming life without parole would be the most we can hope for.
I wouldn't be surprised if she died before a SA could happen, but I definitely believe it was at least part of his plan. MOO

Are there 3 crimes abduction, kidnaping and homicide? He’s been charged with Murder 1, will he also be charged with the other two? I have no idea how it works when crimes are bunched together.... most severe charge goes on the arrest warrant?
I think they may need more information about when and where she died before they can know for sure what to charge him with. If she died immediately after the encounter started, then he could be charged with murder and abuse/transportation of a corpse. If he held her there for a time before she finally died, they could add false imprisonment. If he got her into the car and moved her, they could add kidnapping/abduction. If he was able to assault her before she died, then the SA could be added. There may be other charges that could be added too, but some may be harder to prove than others and I think the murder is pretty well covered. MOO

If all he wanted was sex, why is Mollie dead?
I can think of 3 reasons: 1. She fought harder than he expected and died before he could rape her. 2. He did rape her, and then killed her to avoid a witness (since she most likely knew who he was.) 3. He didn't want a live body for a partner, which surprisingly isn't considered a sexual assault. MOO

You've obviously never been the 60 year old single guy in a church with several slightly older ladies. :p JK Well, kinda JK anyway. Okay yes, JK, but I couldn't resist! My sister says I am too picky in my old age, or else I would have dates every night.
well, that might explain why my grandpa suddenly started to go to church in his 80s, but I'm sure he expected to have to buy a few dinners first, and I don't see a 24 year-old using that approach.

I'm going to take the position that in no community is it normal for a man in a car to accost a jogger on the basis that he thinks she's interested in hooking up before she finishes her run.
I wonder if PERHAPS that's how CR met IM. I believe we've learned she was on the track team with MT. So, did this lonely little man see the high school girls running and manage to strike up a conversation with one of them? It's not normal, and for most women it would be frightening. But perhaps, surrounded by her own little group of friends, IM didn't see it that way and was open to a young man driving around every day while they were on their jog. Wouldn't you love to know how they met? I'm small town, but it's a big town compared to Brooklyn, and life is very different in small towns.

Last edited:
1900 block 385 Ave is a long road, from the curve all the way to 200th St. From 1900 to 1999 some houses set back and a few farms both sides of the road, with large fields and open spaces in between. A couple turn around spots but closer to long driveways. I saw one or two cleared parking spots for possibly field equipment. So I’m wondering where on this road did CR park and as he said chase her or run after her? Would she have tried to run towards a home or farm? It appears open in many areas along this road but to park a car ? Idk how his story could have happened? Where was she abducted closer to town? Any thoughts?
One of their points of interest before he was arrested (on their map) was 365th and 200th street, so I think it was somewhat farther down the road. MOO

Last edited:
But what's wrong with meeting women at his own community events? If he was looking for companionship or a sexual hook up, he could have found that within his own comfort zone.

There is nothing wrong with that at all, and maybe that is how he met his baby mama. But if he wanted a white girl, well, then it's different. In my experience, some latin guys fetishize white girls. If that's what he wanted, his choices for getting what he wanted are limited. He might not feel like he is his most charming over an app like Tinder and would rather try picking up girls irl. Soooo rolling around in his malibu looking for lone girls was what he chose.
MOO.

I’ve been checking out (blocking) and found that “Mental Blocks” are psychiatric disorders.
<quote respectfully snipped for emphasis on this sentence>
If by "checking out" you mean researching "mental blocks" on the Internet, it's entirely plausible IMO, that during the 5 weeks CR had after killing Mollie before LE focused on him and arrested him, he also could have done the same research and had his "story" picked out ahead of time "just in case". Even if not and he's telling the truth about "blocking out his memory" because it supposedly happens when "he's mad", there's still the possibility he made the whole thing up based on some research or even just scratching his head, and he never gave Mollie a chance to "reject" and "anger" him - e.g., he disabled her quickly on foot approaching from behind, and the "blocking" is just a 'plausible deniability' excuse for his evil deeds. JMO of course (as always).

But what's wrong with meeting women at his own community events? If he was looking for companionship or a sexual hook up, he could have found that within his own comfort zone.

I don’t think he wanted to meet someone in his comfort zone, from the other girls who have come forward, he appears to have wanted the local Brooklyn girls.

He perused younger girls who appeared to blow him off and I think this set him off

He has a GF and a baby he could have been with, who knows why they broke up

I would not be surprised if CR was lacking in social skills and confidence with women. The mother of his child is only 19 and his daughter is 3. He’s 24 so he was a 21 year old dating a 16 year old.
He is not well educated and may not be very criminally saavy. Looks like a crime of opportunity.
I hope he tells what really happened because his blackout or blocking story is ludicrous.

I don't disagree with the bulk of your statement, but one correction. IIRC, IM was one year ahead of Mollie in high school, and I think I recall reading that she is 21. And I still am not firmly convinced CR is only 24. I assume LE knows his age for certain.

I wonder if PERHAPS that's how CR met IM. I believe we've learned she was on the track team with MT. So, did this lonely little man see the high school girls running and manage to strike up a conversation with one of them? It's not normal, and for most women it would be frightening. But perhaps, surrounded by her own little group of friends, IM didn't see it that way and was open to a young man driving around every day while they were on their jog. Wouldn't you love to know how they met? I'm small town, but it's a big town compared to Brooklyn, and life is very different in small towns.
I don't believe IM was on the track team with MT. IM was a cheerleader.

There is no coffee shop in town. Community events are few and they’re mostly family or kids things. No idea whether he’s a part of a church or not. As terrible as this is, it’s reality: there aren’t going to be a lot of opportunities for the illegal Mexican farm workers to mingle and socialize outside of the Hispanic community.
That's the way the Spanish community was in the area I used to live, except there were a ton of shops, cafes, restaurants, mini golf, pool halls, bars, etc. They still socialized among themselves, and since many are sending money back home and saving every penny, they almost never go out to eat, except to one of those "underground restaurants," out of someone's home, where authentic food is prepared and sold ( looks a lot like the small cafes in Mexico if you haven't been to one) Someone like me walks in there, and they all stop and stare at the sight of a " white person." Mostly wondering how one found out about them, or are afraid you are the police as it is completely illegal. Word of mouth only. They rarely buy coffee out, and they get together and dance to music and drink to socialize. This it what it is like where I am from. I would imagine it's not that different elsewhere. But what do I know?

well, that might explain why my grandpa suddenly started to go to church in his 80s, but I'm sure he expected to have to buy a few dinners first, and I don't see a 24 year-old using that approach.
I have it on good authority (a 90-year-old widower) that those "wider women" can add a lot to life. He has them baking him pies and helping in the garden . . . "wider women" apparently make life wonderful.

YES, so true. When my fatherinlaw was widowed, he'd go to church on Sunday and return home with a half a dozen homemade meals and casseroles, that 'hopeful' ladies brought for him. LOL

What is weird to me is that all the 50-60ish women I know go from one relationship to another, after ending long marriages...I am very happily divorced, living with my cat and dog, but it does make me wonder where they find all these men lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971