Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #46

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, no additional charges such as kidnapping, rape or sexual assault?

I’m thinking we won’t see those types of lower class charges because the victim didn’t walk away, she was murdered. Typically how it goes is the Judge gives the Jury various options beginning with the highest murder charge. Then based on the evidence, it’s up to the jury to decide if the defendant is guilty or not guilty of 1st degree premeditated murder or lesser murder charges after consideration of the evidence they’ve heard.

1st degree murder - premeditated intent to murder (admitting to stalking, then chasing, multiple sharp force injuries inflicted are obvious elements)
1st degree murder - felony (death occurred as a result of a committing a felony such as kidnaping or sexual assault, murder not necessarily intentional).
2nd degree murder - no preplanning or premeditation (often a case of crime of passion)
Manslaughter - accidental (but it’d be difficult for a jury to assume multiple sharp force injuries were inflicted accidentally)

In Iowa, the sentence for first degree murder is an automatic full life without any parole. So upon conviction, no additional charges are required to increase full life in prison beyond the felon’s eventual death.

Therefore even if kidnaping or sexually assaulting an alive person is proven by trial evidence, violently murdering that victim after those acts serves to further prove deliberate and premeditated 1st degree murder. Because it can be reasoned the perp intentionally committed murder to prevent the victim from escaping and informing police of the crime that occurred.

JMO

Last edited:
I’m thinking we won’t see those types of lower class charges because the victim didn’t walk away, she was murdered. Typically how it goes is the Judge gives the Jury various options beginning with the highest murder charge. Then based on the evidence, it’s up to the jury to decide if the defendant is guilty or not guilty of 1st degree premeditated murder or lesser murder charges after consideration of the evidence they’ve heard.

1st degree murder - premeditated intent to murder (admitting to stalking, then chasing, multiple sharp force injuries inflicted are obvious elements)
1st degree murder - felony (death occurred as a result of a kidnaping or sexual assault, not necessarily intentional).
2nd degree murder - no intent
Manslaughter - accidental (but it’d be difficult for a jury to assume multiple sharp force injuries were inflicted accidentally)

In Iowa, the sentence for first degree murder is an automatic full life without any parole. So upon conviction, no additional charges are required to increase full life in prison beyond the felon’s eventual death. Therefore even if kidnaping or sexually assaulting an alive person was involved, violently murdering that victim after those acts serves to further prove deliberate 1st murder because the perp did so to intentionally prevented the victim from escaping.

JMO

I believe they can still amend charges. As when certain lab results come in.

Does anyone know how long all those tests can take? And if they do find evidence will they announce it right away or will they wait until the next time there is a court date?

Another 2-6 weeks at outside. Exception might be forensic anthropologist

His could take time.

They can file motions containing amended charges unless Iowa has deadlines. So just about anytime. By the end of the year all of it should be decided.

Don’t be surprised if trial date changes. And notice the defense attorney mentioned education today again. I think that’s a key to his defense strategy.

I believe they can still amend charges. As when certain lab results come in.
But...would there be any point to bring/amend more charges - if the most he can get is life in prison? I know there can be consecutive life sentences; but I have always thought that was dumb...since a person only has one life. jmo

Another 2-6 weeks at outside. Exception might be forensic anthropologist

His could take time.

They can file motions containing amended charges unless Iowa has deadlines. So just about anytime. By the end of the year all of it should be decided.

Don’t be surprised if trial date changes. And notice the defense attorney mentioned education today again. I think that’s a key to his defense strategy.

They sure are pointing it out at every chance

But...would there be any point to bring/amend more charges - if the most he can get is life in prison? I know there can be consecutive life sentences; but I have always thought that was dumb...since a person only has one life. jmo

The sentences can go into triple digits; but it's about 'justice being seen to be served'. Cancel that six digits;

The world's longest prison sentences

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members