Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #46

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - I watched the video a couple of times to see if they were late - and entered along with the gentleman from the Consulate; or if they were already there - sitting at the end of the row (out of camera view). I couldn't tell...? If they did arrive late - they missed most of the important information. I wonder if the people from the consulate were helping them understand what would take place today? imo
I found that very distracting. I personally don't think they should let people come and go once the judge starts speaking. It's not a soccer game.

he looked like he had just rolled out of bed and went strait to court to me. uncombed hair and red eyes. maybe he is afraid to sleep. wouldn't it be just awful if he was afraid of other inmates so he couldn't sleep well.....

But...would there be any point to bring/amend more charges - if the most he can get is life in prison? I know there can be consecutive life sentences; but I have always thought that was dumb...since a person only has one life. jmo

Yes. If in the future his verdict was appealed (murder charge) and overturned the lesser charges could keep him incarcerated.

And most importantly, justice is justice. If he committed a sexual assault, it would be justice for Mollie to prosecute him for it. Kidnapping as well. It’s one of the vague “rights” we can give a victim.

Iowa May elect to prosecute the charges separately. Sometimes prosecutors arent ready to file the lesser charges. Perhaps some of the lab results are not available, other times family wishes are considered. It’s highly unusual and not economical but I have seen it. Imo

I am not familiar with legal proceedings, so bear with me. I want to make sure I understand what you're saying. Basically, if they don't add any charges and CR is tried only for Murder One, then the prosecution must feel at least one of the below:
  • They have a strong enough case for Murder One that they don't need to add lesser charges?
  • That there are no lesser charges to be had (she died right where he approached her)?
  • If he did kidnapped her, they can substantiate that in court only as part of the events leading to her death?
IMPOSSIBLE
Is any of this supporting the idea that a sexual assault hasn't been proven?[/QUOT

The medical examiner said he would most likely hire a forensic anthropologist. A FA TRIES TO DO THE IMPOSSIBLE.
A FA uses cutting edge technology to recover evidence from a badly decomposed body. It often requires many steps to recover such evidence. It is expensive and it takes time. I don’t believe enough time has passed to complete the testing required for those results. The autopsy is not complete.

Iowa May elect to prosecute the charges separately. Sometimes prosecutors arent ready to file the lesser charges. Perhaps some of the lab results are not available, other times family wishes are considered. It’s highly unusual and not economical but I have seen it. Imo

The charges would have to be brought before the murder trial began. Double jeopardy would prevent prosecutors from attempting to bring a second case related to the same set of events.

Do the prosecutors think this is a 1,2,3 case slam dunk, are they just overconfident?
Yes, he confessed, yes he took them to the body and all that, but I’ve thought similar in other cases to. The jury’s verdict in those cases shocked me and I did not feel Justice was given to the murdered innocent life.
I watched CR and maybe that’s what his lawyers wanted him to appear projecting, red eyes, downtrodden, hair uncombed, over tired kind of staged to me.. even the prosecutors were checking out the defendants overall look.

Attachments

• B17C7705-C917-4D76-98E9-51ED13271C39.jpeg
    B17C7705-C917-4D76-98E9-51ED13271C39.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Do the prosecutors think this is a 1,2,3 case slam dunk, are they just overconfident?
Yes he confessed, yes he took them to the body and all that, but I’ve thought similar in other cases to. The jury’s verdict in those cases shocked me and I did not feel Justice was given to the murdered innocent life.

It was more than five weeks following Mollie’s disappearance that LE was able to somehow determine CR was the driver of the black Malibu identified through video.

By that time, it wouldn’t be unheard of if the accused had fled, or had the car demolished at a wreckers, or had buried the body in a remote area and refused to disclose the location and/or claimed to have nothing to do with the disappearance along with concocting an alibi for the evening in question. Even if CR was considered a prime suspect, it could’ve taken more weeks or months or even years before there was enough evidence to support an arrest.

But instead he confessed to his involvement and led LE to the body, so yes I do think the prosecution has reason to be optimistic of a successful conviction.

Even though at this early stage CR is considered innocent and therefore has pled Not Guilty, I’m not yet convinced he’s suddenly become intent on avoiding taking responsibility for his actions. In all cases, the role of a defence attorney isn’t really to get clients off the hook. It’s also to ensure the law is applied fairly and justly to the guilty.

Last edited:
9a12ac7b-dc0f-4c20-bcdd-a5580c82baa7-1012014479_RIVERA_0168.jpg

CBR and 1st legal team
6e71c355-18dc-437e-8e67-2b2848418d54-0918_BahenaRivera_04.JPG

CBR with 2nd legal team

Hmmm... I dunno, CBR appears happier with new legal team, but not so much with himself. #jailisnopicnic

Yes, he confessed, yes he took them to the body and all that, but I’ve thought similar in other cases to. The jury’s verdict in those cases shocked me and I did not feel Justice was given to the murdered innocent life.
I watched CR and maybe that’s what his lawyers wanted him to appear projecting, red eyes, downtrodden, hair uncombed, over tired kind of staged to me.. even the prosecutors were checking out the defendants overall appearance.

I have learned by watching trials over the years that no case is ever a slam dunk, no matter how strong the evidence. Having said that, I believe the prosecution will present a compelling case, and I believe that CR will be convicted of first degree murder, assuming it does go to trial. I am still not sure there will not be a plea bargain agreement before trial. JMO

I thought he looked like he was trying to stay awake.

CR is in a county lock up, not a Prison. The small city jail he is in, may not have adequate long term holding cells for a high profile, vulnerable to harm innate. A month, sitting in a gray room looking at the walls 24/7, after a life of living and working in the open country air, must be devastating.

I have spent a night and a morning in a jail in a large Iowa city. Not a place to get a restive sleep. Also, it is really hard, in jail, to get the pomade he likely uses for that doo.

I agree with you Al, the state will start with the most serious charges they think they can convict on. They may have evidence we don't know about. We don't know what was on his computer, his phone. What he said to people immediately after the murder, the next day. What if he confessed to his buddies? If he googled how to kill a woman in the days before the crime? The state can add charges as the evidence is evaluated, they can reduce the charges if they are concerned about over-charging due to LE mistakes or contamination or lack of admissible evidence (God forbid, but it's always a risk).

In any negotiation you want to start with your highest and best demand that you think you can reasonably get and leave yourself room for negotiation.

The first sentence of your post is high praise indeed. And back at you.

Thank you so much for your time on this thread, and the valuable contrabution of your considerable professional knowledge and acumen!

Please feel free to wade in anytime! Beers in the cooler, and the water is fine!

Makes me wonder if Mollie's family would rather it be 50 years for the black-out story; no trial, and go straight to the big house... Either way, I don't see CR making it out alive.

Not if he uses the weight room! Consider what happened to Jeffery Dahmer. He didn't last long either.

On the Inside, the Aryian Brothers will want a piece of CR for obvious reasons. The Latinos may turn their back on him, disgusted by his crime (especially anyone with a sister or daugther), and the problems it will cause for Latinos living in Iowa. The Brothers will not want to be involved in anyone else's Beef, likely the same for the Native Americans. NO ONE will have his back!

CR is going to have a hard life in the State Penitentiary. 23 hours a day in a solo cell, AdSeg is a hard life to live till death! I wonder if they will let him even have sheets? How long till he goes sideways, after a life in the free open (stinky) country air?

Rest assured guys, Death is easy, it's living that's hard! And it will soon (a year or so) be VERY hard for Mr CR.

The charges would have to be brought before the murder trial began. Double jeopardy would prevent prosecutors from attempting to bring a second case related to the same set of events.

If necessary, there are always the Feds (Consider the New Orleans Police Department Aligers Seven, or Louisiana Governor Edwin Edwards). Not always the first way to go, but a second bite at the apple with a new slate of charges, possibly based on a denial of Civil Rights (what I beleive the NOPD Aligers 7 finally went down for, because of the murders they committed in New Orleans).

My answer was stupid
Forgive me I don’t believe forensic results can be complete. And asssult charges may result.

Going to bed. My brain is soarently already there. Tough day at my house. A new day tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevHill