Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #46

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe anything he says either, but I do not believe a specific weapon, or specific type of weapon, has ever been mentioned. Do you have a link that states he was carrying a knife?
No I read that on here so I guess I can't verify that. I also think he ambushed her and did not strike up a conversation. He could have just walked away if she threatened to call the police but he didn't because it did not happen that way
IMO

Last edited:
OH WOW and if the defense is claiming he's not "educated" enough to understand that, translator or not, this could be bad. JMO
Everything MOO. I don't think they can successfully claim that. He doesn't have down syndrome. He is able to drive and follow work instructions obviously to work for the same company for 4 years. The farm isn't non-profit, so they didn't take him on as a charity case. He is basically like any other high school dropout, and didn't Foxworthy's show prove that most of us aren't smarter than a 5th grader? Sure, we become specialized and get educated in one or two things, but the bulk of what we learn in high school gets forgotten. I graduated college prep with a 3.59 GPA on a 4.0 scale, and I don't think I remember anything from high school other than bull market, bear market and the 5 paragraph essay. They made us take government, but I don't remember anything. I don't think he's any dumber than the common criminal, and I'm certain his understanding of miranda rights would be the same as anyone else's who didn't study law or government.

I can only participate in one disaster at a time. I do go over and take a look at that thread and was on there at the beginning but this one has my full attention even though it is crawling like a snail.
Last time I checked, there seemed to be the implication by some that SW made up the girls’ health problems. That thread is a world unto itself, that’s for sure!!

Well, it's Wednesday afternoon here, so I am waiting.
Pity we're all on different times.
Where are you? Australia? It's still Tuesday night here. I'm not sure what, if anything, more we are going to learn from the arraignment considering it has already been reported that he is going to be pleading not-guilty. Maybe there will be something though.

Where are you? Australia? It's still Tuesday night here. I'm not sure what, if anything, more we are going to learn from the arraignment considering it has already been reported that he is going to be pleading not-guilty. Maybe there will be something though.

Yes Australia. Spring here and mid day temps about 18C.

He would of been read his Miranda Rights; they would of been translated to him -
'Anything you say may be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to consult an attorney before speaking to the police and to have an attorney present during questioning now or in the future. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish.'
Good Point

Hi everyone! Just checking in to see how things are going. Not much new I see. His plead of not guilty is no surprise. I think that's very common in a case like this. Too bad. So I guess it's certain that there will be a trial? I have been following the Sharon Watts and children case. They can really use some intelligent posters over there. It's a whole different ball game. Lately it's like the thread gone wild.... I really wish some would check it out. There have been some smart cookies on this case and we could use your help. Such a tragedy. I think it just got shut down so I'm just checking in. I noticed some lawyers commented so I will be interested in that. In fact I would love to see Aletheas opinion on the other case. Crazy over there.

I checked that thread the other day and it was pages and pages scrutinizing a murder victim's instagram for signs she was "bossy." No thanks! It's more like Facebook than Websleuths, I'm surprised it is allowed to go on.

I look forward to both of these cases going to trial, if they do. Court reporting can be interesting and tends to cut out the unnecessary drama. Only real crime buffs will listen to day after day of monotone scientific testimony. ;)

Wednesday, Sept. 19th:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ 9:30m CT) – IA – Mollie Cecilia Tibbetts (20) (July 18, 2018; found Aug. 21, 2018) – Cristhian Bahena Rivera aka John Budd (24) arrested & charged (8/21/18) with 1st degree murder. $5M cash only bond.
ICE logged an immigration detainer on Rivera. Confessed to killing Mollie.
8/22/18 Update: 1st appearance – Defense asks for gag order; files document that CBR is working legally in Iowa; employer offered info that it is not true. Judge denies gag order request. Did not enter plea. Next Prelim Hearing on 8/31, if convicted it would be a life sentence without possibility of parole. No death penalty in Iowa. Maggistrate Crookham-Johnson on Wednesday continued to allow cameras in the courtroom. She denied the defense motion for a private hearing, saying media coverage of the initial appearance wouldn’t violate Rivera’s right to a fair trial because he wasn’t going to be asked that day to make statements about the facts of the case. After hearing defense files motion for private hearing, on the defense’s request, Crookham also set a schedule for a district court to review a motion to implement a gag order on the case (no date mentioned).
8/31/18 Update: Rivera’s new attorneys have waived his preliminary hearing, which had been scheduled for August 31st. They’ve also filed a motion to withdraw any previous motions filed by Richards while he represented Rivera – that includes a motion for a gag order.

9/15/18 Update: Arraignment set for 9/19 @ 9:30am.

Anyone know if there will be a tweeter for this hearing today? I can always copy/paste for you all if someone gives me a link!
animated-smileys-computer-10.gif

OH WOW and if the defense is claiming he's not "educated" enough to understand that, translator or not, this could be bad. JMO
his attorney can claim it but I doubt a judge is persuaded. JMO

Just to add, his Miranda Rights has to be translated correctly; word for word. If they haven't been translated correctly; then he hasn't been read his Rights.
FWIW I think it's BS that evidence can be thrown out just because someone talks before they are told they don't have to. I think that law should be changed. Miranda was really not a good person. I think you should have the right not to incriminate yourself and the right to an attorney, but I don't think you should have to be told that or even have to understand that. I think too many people get off on technicalities and gaming the system. MOO

The Mexican man charged with abducting and killing Iowa college student Mollie Tibbetts is set to be arraigned in court on Wednesday.

Cristhian Bahena Rivera, 24, is due to appear for the arraignment at Poweshiek County District Court at 9:30am.

He is expected to enter a plea, according to The Gazette.

Police say Rivera followed and confronted Tibbetts while she was out for a run on July 18 and later stabbed her to death.
Illegal immigrant charged in fatal stabbing of Mollie Tibbetts to be arraigned in an Iowa court | Daily Mail Online

FWIW I think it's BS that evidence can be thrown out just because someone talks before they are told they don't have to. I think that law should be changed. Miranda was really not a good person. I think you should have the right not to incriminate yourself and the right to an attorney, but I don't think you should have to be told that or even have to understand that. I think too many people get off on technicalities and gaming the system. MOO

There is a counter to that; innocent people ending up in jail for 20, 30 years and life. Imagine a person with a mental illness; just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time; he / she gets arrested; he / she is innocent, but they don't have the mental capacity to deal with LE, the situation etc. He / she says yes 'I did it', because of the relentless questioning by LE. Without the Miranda Rights, the law would be a total 'sham'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89