Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #49

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if there are any problems in the families/relationships now because of this? Surely UF's family cannot be happy about Iris's baby-daddy's comments.
CBR stuck his cousin with car payments. She testified her family interacted a lot with him when he arrived but not so much later.
Just wondering what else all of his lies and evil have wrecked.

We’re supposed to believe all of that rather than that an admitted liar is lying again? It defies common sense and I think the jury would see through it.
I would think so/hope so too, but I have seen things even in my own family this past year that to me, defy logic. So, I'm a little worried. I just think people are a lot more stupid than I realized before.

I completely agree. He incapacitated her at time of abduction- this is where the blood in the trunk came from. But it is also the reason (IMO), he saw movement from Mollie. She wasn't dead when he removed her. :(
I think he made a mistake and "went off script" when he said he saw a little movement. He was probably getting mixed up with the thumping and movement he was supposed to describe when Molly was put in the trunk.

I think the defense wanted him to describe her as dead when he lifted up the trunk. That's why he said she wasn't bleeding anymore.

Otherwise, he was the last person to see Molly alive. He claimed he didn't see any injuries, so why not assume she was just passed out?

But yes, I think he did see her move because she was alive when he took her out of the trunk. Her clothes were still in place and he didn't see any injuries because he hadn't carried her into the cornfield yet.

IMO

I'm so relieved the Sweatered Ninja Aliens let Cristhian grab his phone before leaving on their mission. I guess they knew he would be lost and would need GPS. for his ride home. It was also thoughtful of them to threaten him with a gun but not in a serious way.
Oh yea ..good thing he came out of the shower dressed and ready to be kidnapped.

I just can't with this story.

I think he made a mistake and "went off script" when he said he saw a little movement. He was probably getting mixed up with the thumping and movement he was supposed to describe when Molly was put in the trunk.

I think the defense wanted him to describe her as dead when he lifted up the trunk. That's why he said she wasn't bleeding anymore.

Otherwise, he was the last person to see Molly alive. He claimed he didn't see any injuries, so why not assume she was just passed out?

But yes, I think he did see her move because she was alive when he took her out of the trunk. Her clothes were still in place and he didn't see any injuries because he hadn't carried her into the cornfield yet.

IMO
Yes, I think she wasn’t prepared for his response then. Guess it wasn’t what they had practiced. IIRC she asked him about what clothes Mollie had on when he took her out of the trunk...not about what clothes she had on when he left her in the cornfield...no, no, didn’t want to go there.

I would think so/hope so too, but I have seen things even in my own family this past year that to me, defy logic. So, I'm a little worried. I just think people are a lot more stupid than I realized before.

I completely agree. After all, we have seen juries come back with "Not Guilty" based on stories with as much credibility here. The trials for Caylee Anthony, and Kate Stinle both seemed to be "slam dunk" cases.

And I believe that you can pick up a gun in a paperbag under any bench in San Francisco as much as I believe in Iowa Ninjas. Yet, Kate Stinle's killer was found "Not Guilty".

Yes, I think she wasn’t prepared for his response then. Guess it wasn’t what they had practiced. IIRC she asked him about what clothes Mollie had on when he took her out of the trunk...not about what clothes she had on when he left her in the cornfield...no, no, didn’t want to go there.
I think she did prompt him to say Molly was still dressed when he left her in the cornfield. He said he left her just as he found her.

Considering all the cornstalks covering her body, it's not likely that animals removed her shorts and underwear and travelled a short distance with them. They also didn't pull her sports bra up to her neck and cause the stab marks that were found on it.

I lived in Cedar Falls, IA very close to Brooklyn for 5 years. The perception that the population in this area are rual, uneducated, farming country bumpkins is very far from accurate IMO.

The people I lived near and interacted with daily here were some of the kindest, intelligent, and educated people I've known. They were deeply affected by Mollie's death, the whole region has grieved right along with the Tibbett family. I think this jury will get the verdict right without a doubt.

I live in the South now and I'd be worried about a group of jurors here more. ;)

I think the story was formulated to sound as if these masked men were trying to frame CBR. They didn't want him dead, or stranded, they wanted him to take the fall so LE never pursued anyone else for the murder. Who better to threaten and use as a scapegoat than an illegal immigrant, who is afraid of the police and deportation (IM's testimony), who is working to provide for not only his daughter, but his family back in Mexico. Who is quiet and shy (family testimonies).

It doesn't really matter who these masked men were for this argument, because poor CBR is clueless about their identity or motives. He just did what he was told and knew he couldn't tell anyone because of his daughter's safety. If the defense was smart, they would have hired protection for Iris and the daughter last night.

I think she did prompt him to say Molly was still dressed when he left her in the cornfield. He said he left her just as he found her.

Considering all the cornstalks covering her body, it's not likely that animals removed her shorts and underwear and travelled a short distance with them. They also didn't pull her sports bra up to her neck and cause the stab marks that were found on it.

This is a good point. The cornstalks were still covering her when she was discovered, correct? So, the animals that made away with her shorts and underwear, but not her top, would have had to cover her back up with cornstalks after they took those clothing items away. Unlikely.

I don't know if he ever said anything about dragging her yesterday, but in the affidavit (probably useless now), he did say he "dragged her by foot" before carrying her. If he meant he dragged her by her feet, that could possibly have pushed or rolled her bra up. But that still doesn't explain the shorts and underwear being away from the body. There was no testimony either way to predation or scavenging by animals to her body other than possibly explaining missing bones and a tooth (which I suspect was damaged by the cheek injury).

Edit: fixed typos because I'm functioning on my phone...

Last edited:
I think the story was formulated to sound as if these masked men were trying to frame CBR. They didn't want him dead, or stranded, they wanted him to take the fall so LE never pursued anyone else for the murder. Who better to threaten and use as a scapegoat than an illegal immigrant, who is afraid of the police and deportation (IM's testimony), who is working to provide for not only his daughter, but his family back in Mexico. Who is quiet and shy (family testimonies).

It doesn't really matter who these masked men were for this argument, because poor CBR is clueless about their identity or motives. He just did what he was told and knew he couldn't tell anyone because of his daughter's safety. If the defense was smart, they would have hired protection for Iris and the daughter last night.
If he was so concerned about his daughter's safety, wouldn't he have done something to protect her, back on the night of July 20th? Wouldn't he have hurried to contact his ex, warn her she is in danger, and they need to get a safe place out of Brooklyn for them to live?

Once he was arrested, and knew he couldn't be around to protect his baby, did he warn his ex? Wouldn't he be worried that the violent ninjas would threaten or kidnap his family, to keep him from telling the truth?

Really hard to believe that his whole focus was to protect his baby girl, when he didn't do anything to prevent them from coming for her. He just lived his life that month like nothing bad happened.

I completely agree. After all, we have seen juries come back with "Not Guilty" based on stories with as much credibility here. The trials for Caylee Anthony, and Kate Stinle both seemed to be "slam dunk" cases.

And I believe that you can pick up a gun in a paperbag under any bench in San Francisco as much as I believe in Iowa Ninjas. Yet, Kate Stinle's killer was found "Not Guilty".

I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll be found guilty but there's always that nagging fear that he won't.

Hopefully, we'll know the answer soon.

"Knew she was dead, but did not tell Dep. Kivi anything, CBR testifies. Testifies that he did not ask for any protection for his daughter or his ex-girlfriend."

I think this^^^ is an important point. He is safe there in police station. He could have asked them to go pick up his baby and his ex----and he would then tell them what happened.

But during that previous month, he did nothing to protect his baby? Wouldnt most fathers leave town with their baby and ex, telling them they are in real danger?

At least warn them. And what about now for this trial where he is telling the public what really happened-----does he have his baby and ex in some secure location?
Iris testified that she and the baby now live with her bf in Cedar Rapids. I don't know when they moved there but she lived with CBR in the trailer during 2016-2017. AFAIK, CBR didn't have squat to do with her moving there. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member