Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #49

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. If they had gone full in aggressively, they would look like they buying into the ridiculous story. And bringing him up to their level. Better to just keep to the known facts.
Probably a good thing I am not an attorney then.
I would have gone full blast into questioning him about every single thing he said.
Not that I would believe it, but just to trip him up on his own lies.

Towards the end of cross they were said to look restless and some were falling asleep. Imo
BBM

Can jury behavior be brought up in appeals? These people have an important job and whether or not they are bored, offended, or just plain don't like what's being said, they are supposed to actively listen, aren't they? If there truly was a juror(s) lounging and dozing off, can that become an issue later?

As for laughing, I don't know. I can only speak for myself, but I saw nothing funny about today's testimony at all. Especially for those seated inside that courtroom where mere days ago they were looking at tragic photos.

Last edited:
IMO,
It has prob been discussed in the other 48 threads, I didn't read them.
CBR spotted Mollie, realized she looked like Iris, he got out of his car approached Mollie, punched her, maybe the mouth or nose that knocked her out, picked her up, put her in the trunk. There was only a little bit of blood, she was probably not stabbed prior to being put in the trunk. We also don't know what CBR had in that trunk at the time, blanket, towel, etc. He had some fishing items and some children's items, so a blanket, towel or the like is a likely.
He then took her to the cornfield, I think testimony from Mollie's phone/fitbit data, she went straight to that spot, he took her out of the trunk and into the cornfield where he proceeded to rape, stab and possibly beat her to death over his anger at Iris.

I'm curious as to the timeframe of Iris getting the new bf?

I think it was stated today in testimony that he found Mollie's phone and fitbit in the trunk and he dumped them on the side of the road. I think there was also testimony he took his shirt off as it was very bloody. What happened to that shirt?

I had the same thought. In fact when the judge called for a ten minute recess I thought maybe some of them had their hands over their mouths to keep from laughing.

I guess if it did happen the judge would give the jurors a talking to. I've never heard of it happening though. I've heard of jurors crying but not laughing.

I would have liked to see the look on their faces. Towards the end of cross they were said to look restless and some were falling asleep. Imo
I am always interested in the jurors. I was wondering if somebody was going to laugh

This defense was carefully crafted, and pretty much the only "Hail Mary" they could come up with, to explain CBR knowledge of where Mollie's body was.

Yes, all defendants should have a vigorous defense. But this sideshow act today, was not a brilliant idea by CBR. It was the attorneys. And an absolute blatant lie. Seems to be going at light speed down a slippery slope (okay, this was a luge run) of not crossing any lines regarding knowledge of client perjury under oath.

BBM

Can jury behavior be brought up in appeals? These people have an important job and whether or not they are bored, offended, or just plain don't like what's being said, they are supposed to actively listen, aren't they? If there truly was a juror(s) lounging and dozing off, can that become an issue later?
During the Jodi Arias trial , jurors had an issue with a juror. They sent a note to the judge and nothing was done

Ninja 1:-- oh $hit...he's in the shower...should we wait ??

Ninja 2:--Yes, lets wait, because ya know, he has a daughter we can threaten him with.

Ninja 1 -- well, hopefully MT will be out jogging, otherwise, what are we going to do with just HIM ???

OMG-- I dont know whether to laugh or cry over this BS nonsense. I cant believe professional attorneys would even allow or suggest to their client this BS.

Unbelievable.

Ninjas dressed and ready to do nefarious things nefariously.

Ninja 1— We look awesome! To the Ninjamobile!

Ninja 2— Daggumit! The battery’s dead! We got no wheels!

Ninja 1— We’ll head to CBR’s. He’ll never recognize us. He’s got a date tomorrow, but he’s free tonight.

Ninja 2—You are a genius, JackChaneyPexaFelixInsertNameHere!

Let's see.

What the defense established

Their client is a liar.

Unknown DNA from the trunk was not tested against all the people. Of the world.

Mollie's blood was in the trunk.

Mollie was in the trunk and CBR removed her from the trunk.

It was his car.

He passed by her multiple times.

He knew what she was wearing.

He was angry. (Per LE questioning and not contested by his defense)

There was a camouflage-handled knife.

Anything I'm missing?

JMO

Just the sweater Ninjas;)

Told wife about CBR testifying that two men forced him to.... She started laughing before I could finish.

The defense trying to place blame on DJ lacks any substance of why DJ would want to kill Mollie? The masked sweater guys after all this time and witnesses is bizarre.

A short trial with a lot of smoke from defense.

Still 11 hours behind due to RL... I'm now *drinking* even more than I was already *drinking*.... :p

And I have 11 hours and 32 pages on WS to catch up on!

*drink* as more entertaining that way.
I have joined you in the entertaining part.

I wanted to earlier when someone said they needed coffee and I was like, NOPE... I need a drink.
I was working though , so now I will join you :p

This defense was carefully crafted, and pretty much the only "Hail Mary" they could come up with, to explain CBR knowledge of where Mollie's body was.

Yes, all defendants should have a vigorous defense. But this sideshow act today, was not a brilliant idea by CBR. It was the attorneys. And an absolute blatant lie. Seems to be going at light speed down a slippery slope (okay, this was a luge run) of not crossing any lines regarding knowledge of client perjury under oath.
BBM
I am glad you mentioned this as I had a question.

He obviously is lying under oath.

I am curious what his attorneys have discussed with him about that.

Obviously, they are for it, if not even instigated it, but did they think, well, he is done for anyway so lets throw something out there to see if it sticks ??? some reasonable doubt to a juror ??

I cannot believe that his attorneys believe this story and would allow their client to perjure himself like this.

What kind of monsters are they ???

I am always interested in the jurors. I was wondering if somebody was going to laugh

When it was happening in real time, most comments here were wtf, omg, is this for real? It wasn't until it sank in that the absurdity of it all became comical. I imagine it would be similar for the jurors. I'd be like the gal looking at her nails, feet up, getting as comfortable as she could because she was listening to something so crazy that she needed a bit of soothing.

If he said this (BBM) to investigators, it seems like we would have heard it before. No? MOO

MAY 26, 2021
Rivera trial: Cristhian Bahena Rivera’s testimony suggests other individuals involved in Mollie Tibbetts’ death - The Daily Iowan
“Like you said, I may have been in a safe place, but I didn’t know where my daughter was,” Bahena Rivera said. “… I told them I wasn’t going to say anything until I knew my daughter was safe.”

I have watched today's proceedings twice (still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor). This statement stood out to me each time I watched/listened to it.

If he wasn't going to say anything until he knew his daughter and her mother were safe, why did he describe what happened (even confess), and lead investigators to Mollie's remains?

When asked during cross-exam if investigators assured him his family was safe, his answer was "no, they did not respond". Why did he give them information then? Why relay a detailed explanation if he were concerned about their safety? Why be dishonest with the elaborate story he concocted today? Wouldn't that put them in greater danger?

This man and his defense team have constantly contradicted themselves each time they speak. Absolutely nothing in their defense makes any sort of sense (to me anyway).

BTW- Those must have been alien Ninjas. They just hollered "beam me up Scottie" and disappeared into thin air.

Actually I would disagree. He is a farm worker. I'm sure he is plenty strong. He could have easily carried her into the field. I suspect he incapacitated her on the road (punch or maybe one stab) and put her in the trunk. Then in the corn field killed her (I agree on that). Did he carry her into the field or force her to walk? Impossible to say. But I don't think Mollie would have walked into that field voluntarily. He had a knife, she HAD to know what was coming. If he had a gun, maybe. But he had a knife, she could have run. I suspect he carried her and finished her off in the field. I agree that if he stabbed her viciously on the road, there would have been a lot more blood in the trunk. I also suspect he killed her before he SA her.

I completely agree. He incapacitated her at time of abduction- this is where the blood in the trunk came from. But it is also the reason (IMO), he saw movement from Mollie. She wasn't dead when he removed her. :(

I agree that it was crafted as his defense but I seriously doubt the attorneys had anything to do with it. CBR had a long time to come up with a reason for him to know where she was located. Attorneys can only build a case on what they've been told by their client.

I find their case to be reprehensible, and I don't like them, but I can't believe they would be stupid enough to go with this story unless their client was adamant - not to mention the breach of ethics it would be to help him create a story like this.

What they attempted to do to DJ, as bad as it was, is routinely accepted in an effort to cast doubt but being actively involved in concocting this story with so many holes is a bridge too far, IMO.

I can't read this whole article, but it seems as if Mr. Frese, at least, already had some questionable ethics going into this trial. US lawyer calls client a ‘terrible criminal’ who deserves jail

I cant read the whole thing either, but I wonder what client he was talking about.

If his has already been posted, I apologize.

Mollie Tibbetts slaying: Lawyer says social media post misinterpreted

[...] The Associated Press obtained a screen shot of the post in which Frese recounted meeting this week with another defendant to prepare for a trial involving federal gun and drug charges. [...]

Frese didn't identify the client, but he posted enough information that the man's name could be determined through court records. [...]

Frese had already come under scrutiny for an earlier Facebook post after Bahena Rivera was charged. Frese, who didn't yet represent Bahena Rivera, wrote that the public had unfairly rushed to judgment against a farmer who'd been interviewed by investigators during the search for Tibbetts, writing: "But wait .... an illegal alien snatched her up and committed this heinous act? He admitted to it? He took the cops to the body?"

Frese said he was explaining the importance of fair legal proceedings. He subsequently changed his privacy settings so that only friends could see his posts. [...]

If his has already been posted, I apologize.

Mollie Tibbetts slaying: Lawyer says social media post misinterpreted

[...] The Associated Press obtained a screen shot of the post in which Frese recounted meeting this week with another defendant to prepare for a trial involving federal gun and drug charges. [...]

Frese didn't identify the client, but he posted enough information that the man's name could be determined through court records. [...]

Frese had already come under scrutiny for an earlier Facebook post after Bahena Rivera was charged. Frese, who didn't yet represent Bahena Rivera, wrote that the public had unfairly rushed to judgment against a farmer who'd been interviewed by investigators during the search for Tibbetts, writing: "But wait .... an illegal alien snatched her up and committed this heinous act? He admitted to it? He took the cops to the body?"

Frese said he was explaining the importance of fair legal proceedings. He subsequently changed his privacy settings so that only friends could see his posts. [...]
Thank you for the information!

I have watched today's proceedings twice (still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor). This statement stood out to me each time I watched/listened to it.

If he wasn't going to say anything until he knew his daughter and her mother were safe, why did he describe what happened (even confess), and lead investigators to Mollie's remains?

When asked during cross-exam if investigators assured him his family was safe, his answer was "no, they did not respond". Why did he give them information then? Why relay a detailed explanation if he were concerned about their safety? Why be dishonest with the elaborate story he concocted today? Wouldn't that put them in greater danger?

This man and his defense team have constantly contradicted themselves each time they speak. Absolutely nothing in their defense makes any sort of sense (to me anyway).

BTW- Those must have been alien Ninjas. They just hollered "beam me up Scottie" and disappeared into thin air.

CBR's testimony in court today for me was a page torn right out of the book Alice's Adventures in Wonderland--surrealistic and bizarre. There must be some really good magic mushrooms growing out of cow dung in Brooklyn, Iowa for the defense to hatch such a twisted and unlikely explanation for CBR's involvement in Mollie's abduction and murder. Hopefully, the jury remains sane seeing the ridiculous of what CBR's lawyers are offering as evidence for his innocence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee