GUILTY IA - Seth Kehoe, 2, murdered, 7yo brother injured, Littleton, 26 Oct 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Insanity shouldn't work in this case--she bought the duct tape a month beforehand. She plotted and planned this, in my opinion. Didn't she also have a career? I hope the insanity defense doesn't fly in this case. She knew what she was doing!

Venue changes difficult to get, attorneys say

The attorney for the Coralville mother accused of killing her 2-year-old son and attempting to kill her other son will go to court on Wednesday and argue for her client’s trial to be moved out of Buchanan County.

While there has been ample coverage of Michelle Kehoe’s alleged murder of her son last October, a University of Iowa law professor said the chances of Kehoe being granted a change of venue are not in her favor.

Kehoe, 36, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Seth Kehoe and attempted murder and willful injury involving Sean Kehoe, 7. If convicted of first-degree murder, she faces a mandatory life sentence. She has pleaded not guilty by means of insanity or diminished capacity

http://www.press-citizen.com/article/20090824/NEWS01/90824005/1079/news01

Kehoe's attorney requests mock jury

The attorney for Michelle Kehoe has asked a judge to consider assembling a mock jury panel to assess whether her client could receive a fair trial in Buchanan County.

Kehoe’s attorney, Waterloo-based public defender Andrea Dryer, argued before a judge Wednesday that there has been considerable media coverage of Kehoe’s alleged crimes and the subsequent court proceedings.

Michelle Kehoe, who was not present at court hearing in April, was present for Wednesday’s hearing. The hearing was scheduled to get underway at 10 a.m., but didn’t begin until around 10:42 a.m. after attorneys from both sides and the judge held a closed-door meeting.

If convicted of first-degree murder, Kehoe faces a mandatory life prison sentence.

Assistant Attorney General Andrew Prosser, who is representing the prosecution along with Buchanan County Attorney Al Vander Hart, said the state resists both the request to move the trial and the request to assemble a mock jury.

Prosser said the state is not disputing there has been significant media coverage of Kehoe’s alleged crimes, but since coverage has been statewide and, in some cases nationwide, a fair trial is just as likely in Buchanan County as it would be in any other area of the state.

Prosser argued that a mock jury would be time-consuming, expensive and would not guarantee anything about the jury at the actual trial.

http://www.press-citizen.com/article/20090826/NEWS01/90826006/1079/news01

“We are concerned because there has been substantial media coverage in this case,” Dryer said.

In particular, Dryer noted comments on media articles that included name-calling, profanities, and opinions about actions that should be taken against Kehoe. Dryer said there are also articles that discuss the cost to taxpayers for criminal proceedings. The attorney said such articles could serve to inflame residents of Buchanan County, of whom the jury pool would be composed.

Mock jurors profess bias against Kehoe

A majority of mock juriors indicated Friday they did not feel they could be fair to Michelle Kehoe if she stands trial for the death of one son and injury to another.

A majority of panelists called up for a mock jury pool at the Buchanan County Courthouse Friday said they may have reservations about whether they could be fair if they were on a real jury.

Just 14 jurors who had heard about the case said they could be fair and 34 said they couldn't be fair, said Andrea Dryer, Kehoe's defense attorney.

The hearing was held to determine whether enough prejudice exists in the county to warrant a change of venue.

District Court Judge Bruce Zager said he'll issue a ruling on the venue motion sometime next week.

If enough prejudice is found, Zager could move the trial out of the region.

No alternative venues have been considered yet. But Zager said he'll likely consider a location away from major media outlets, including the KWWL-TV broadcast, the Courier's and the Cedar Rapids Gazette's circulation areas.

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2009/09/20/news/local/11735203.txt

Insanity shouldn't work in this case--she bought the duct tape a month beforehand. She plotted and planned this, in my opinion. Didn't she also have a career? I hope the insanity defense doesn't fly in this case. She knew what she was doing!

The only thing that makes me think that perhaps she wanted to protect her children from her own compulsions is that she went to a house and knocked on a door and asked for help. "My boys are in danger."

This reminds me alot of the mom who recently killed her newborn. Remember, she took the baby to her sister, telling sis she was hearing voices, and after she'd calmed down a bit, sis took baby back to her. And mommy killed him in a most horrific way.

I don't know if insanity pleas would benefit either of these mothers, I am sickened beyond belief by what they've done, but my heart goes out to them anyway---just knowing they tried to get help, tried to avoid what ultimately happened.

She planned it for weeks! omg what a sicko. That poor little boy.

Firefighter Testifies He Found Body of Iowa Toddler Allegedly Killed by Mother

*WARNING* disturbing photo......of one brave little boy...

Even testified Seth's body was found near the passenger side of the family's van, parked near the pond. He said Sean was sitting with his knees to his chest inside the van. Even told jurors Sean had a cut on his neck.
"He said that's from his mom," Even said.
Next to Seth's body was a first-aid kit, Even said. Sean told him that it was "from him trying to help his brother," Even said.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,570491,00.html

That's so sad. A first-aid kit from Sean trying to help his little brother. God I'm sick.

Okay - I have to ask - where was dad in all of this? In the beginning he reported them missing. Did he know that mom hurt the boys? Did he fail to protect? Is he being prosecuted for failure to protect? He should get the same treatment I scream for when mom's boyfriend hurts a child.

Parents need to pay attention!

Salem

Okay - I have to ask - where was dad in all of this? In the beginning he reported them missing. Did he know that mom hurt the boys? Did he fail to protect? Is he being prosecuted for failure to protect? He should get the same treatment I scream for when mom's boyfriend hurts a child.

Parents need to pay attention!

Salem

In the months between buying the duct tape and knife and the murder, I wonder if Michelle's co-workers, friends or any family members noticed any changes in her? We may hear from some of those people and Michelle's husband during the defense part of the trial. Even if Michelle's personality became visibly different, I'm not sure that the changes would have been interpreted as dangerous (to Michelle or anyone else).

Even with a confession, an admission of premeditation months in advance of the act and an admission of trying to cover-up the deed, some jurors might think Michelle must be insane because there is no clear motive.

I would like to know if this woman has a history of mental illness. Has she been on medication for a long time and had problems for a long time. No one seems to know. I've been watching her trial and her affect is totally flat so that tells me that she is on medication now.

I always feel conflicted in cases like this because it just doesn't seem that anyone could possibly do things like this to their own babies without being insane. It's easier for me to agree with an insanity plea if the person like Andrea Yates had battled mental illness for years and tried to get help, etc, etc. If there is no history of mental illness it's a different story for me.

The dad has the little boy and had been visiting his wife in jail but a new rule was laid down about anyone having contact with the mom can't have contact with the boy. Dad hasn't been back to visit since. He has been in court though.

I wonder if the dad thought there was something wrong with his wife. Had she been acting strange or doing anything that would give him a clue that she was having problems? She may have hid her thoughts well.

I would like to know if this woman has a history of mental illness. Has she been on medication for a long time and had problems for a long time. No one seems to know. I've been watching her trial and her affect is totally flat so that tells me that she is on medication now.

I always feel conflicted in cases like this because it just doesn't seem that anyone could possibly do things like this to their own babies without being insane. It's easier for me to agree with an insanity plea if the person like Andrea Yates had battled mental illness for years and tried to get help, etc, etc. If there is no history of mental illness it's a different story for me.

The dad has the little boy and had been visiting his wife in jail but a new rule was laid down about anyone having contact with the mom can't have contact with the boy. Dad hasn't been back to visit since. He has been in court though.

I wonder if the dad thought there was something wrong with his wife. Had she been acting strange or doing anything that would give him a clue that she was having problems? She may have hid her thoughts well.

I guess without any visible motive it feels like part of the puzzle is missing. From outside appearances it looks like the mom's life would be unimproved and pretty dull after her boys were gone. Which leaves the defense an opening..."Why would she do it? She must be insane."

Personally, I think this mother put a lot of time and effort into committing and covering up her crime. She only confessed when she found out Sean had talked. I think she should be in prison.

But, that being said, I'm wondering why?

jmo

I didnt know about this case until I read it referenced in a caylee thread.

....his mother left him for dead and he went and got a first aid kit to help his brother. I think ....I cant think. poor little angels. I wish I could make it so these things never happen.

I'm not exactly violent myself and I try to keep other posters calm who scream for blood but sometimes....just sometimes...

I guess without any visible motive it feels like part of the puzzle is missing. From outside appearances it looks like the mom's life would be unimproved and pretty dull after her boys were gone. Which leaves the defense an opening..."Why would she do it? She must be insane."

Personally, I think this mother put a lot of time and effort into committing and covering up her crime. She only confessed when she found out Sean had talked. I think she should be in prison.

But, that being said, I'm wondering why?

jmo

Oh I think she should go to prison too. I just can't imagine cutting the throats of my two little boys. One difference between this woman and Andrea and some of the others is that this woman made up a story about what happened. Andrea Yates called 911 and told them what she had done and why. So did this woman who took rocks and pounded her little boys heads in. One of her little boys didn't die but is really messed up from being beaten in the head with a big rock.

I would like to know why too. She said that people can't understand what was going on in her head. Well. what was it??? I think she will go to prison because of the story that she made up and the length of time she had been planning to kill her boys. I wonder if she slit her throat deep enough to have caused her death if she hadn't GONE FOR HELP. Notice she went for help before she could die. In the mean time the seven yr old locked himself in the van away from her and she had thrown the little one in the bushes!!!! The seven yr old sounds like such a sweet little guy in the tape talking to the Pros and Defense. The picture of the little guy is just darling.

She knew right from wrong. She threw the knife into a pond before she went to that house to "call for help." She tried to put the blame onto some unknown man, thereby lying about what she had done. She was trying to hide her own culpability.

In my opinion, an insanity defense will not work here given the above stated facts.

But, then again, what the heck do I know?

Thank you for this post. I was just sat here thinking how mentally ill these women are and was starting to think that none of us could know what these people have been through to end up in such a dire state that they want to kill someone, but like you said above, there is method in their madness.

Why do these people always save themselves? diane downs, andrea yates, etc. If they were feeling THAT bad they would just kill themsleves too, but it always appears at the last minute they chicken out, blame someone else then plead not guilty or insane. She walked to that house, left her sons dying AND then blames someone else and this woman is claming she is insane. Im pretty sure an insane person does not have the mental capacity to think up a story and blame someone else.

Why do these people not seek professional help? madness

Verdict just announced -- guilty of murder, guilty of attempted murder, guilty of child endangerment causing serious injury!!

INDEPENDENCE, Iowa (AP) -- An Iowa woman convicted of first-degree murder in the slaying of her 2-year-old son has been sentenced to life in prison.

Michelle Kehoe of Coralville also received 25 years for an attack on her other son at the hearing Tuesday in Buchanan County District Court.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MISSING_FAMILY?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Thank you lord she didn't get off on insanity. Her 7 yr old has to live his life knowing his mother tried to kill him, and killed his brother he tried to save. I hope he has gone to therapy. He is going to feel guilt even though it wasn't his fault. he did everything he could to save his baby brother.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kitty7766
Back