IA - Shirley Carter, 68, shot to death, Lacona, 19 June 2015 *Son Arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh - and here I was going to ask you for a sentencing date.... free to go....

sfi_slap2.gif

rolling-on-the-floor-laughing.gif

You've done an amazing job with the tweets YESorNO

Right now I feel a bit sick for Bill Carter. I better say no more, I thought there was enough evidence for a conviction.

Maybe it was Cyril Wecht that swayed them.

WATCH LIVE: Jason Carter Trial Verdict (2:42:38 hours)

3/21/19

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Carter Trial Jury Instructions 03/21/19

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Carter Trial Prosecution Closing Argument 03/21/19

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Carter Trial Defense Closing Argument 03/21/19

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Carter Trial Prosecution Rebuttal Closing Argument 03/21/19

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason Carter Trial Final Instructions and Jury Charge 03/21/19

Jason Carter Trial Verdict 03/21/19

The Daily Debrief: Aaron Keller & Judge Ashley Willcott Discuss James Scandirito Jason Carter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watch: Exclusive Interview: One-on-One with Jason Carter

MARCH 29TH 2019

"...On Wednesday, Jason Carter and his wife Shelly sat down with our Sonya Heitshusen for the first time since Jason's acquittal...."

Exclusive Interview: One-on-One with Jason Carter
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘I miss you, Mom’: KCCI sits down with Jason Carter

"...Carter's attorneys are asking for the Marion County judge to throw out the civil jury's verdict.

They anticipate a decision soon and plan on appealing if the verdict is not thrown out."

'They were so, so kind to him': Teens befriend boy with autism at skate park

Murder of Farmer's Wife Turns Cold When Son Goes Free (Killer Cases)

Nov 5, 2022
This episode of "Killer Cases" dives deep into the mysterious murder of Shirley Carter, who was found dead in her farmhouse kitchen in June 2019. Shirley's husband pointed the finger at their son Jason Carter and won a judgment against him in a wrongful death lawsuit. Prosecutors later pressed criminal charges against Jason but he would go free after a jury acquitted him of all criminal charges, leaving the case unsolved.

March 19, 2021

Iowa Supreme Court upholds $10 million civil verdict against Jason Carter for his mother's death​

The Iowa Supreme Court has upheld a civil judgment against Jason Carter won by his father and brother, who say he caused the death of Shirley Carter, their wife and mother.
Jason Carter, of Knoxville, was found civilly liable for the death of his mother during a December 2017 trial and ordered to pay $10 million to her estate. About two years later, he was acquitted of first-degree murder after a three-week trial.
[...]

A civil jury found Jason Carter liable in his mother's death. Now he'll stand trial for murder.

March 5, 2019

"Jason Carter, the central Iowa man found civilly responsible for his mother's death, will stand trial later this week for murder in her killing.

Carter, 46, of Knoxville, was charged with first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of Shirley Carter, days after a civil jury found him responsible for her June 2015 death.

Jury selection began Tuesday in the highly anticipated criminal case, which was moved from Marion County to Pottawattamie County because of pre-trial publicity. Prosecutors expect opening arguments to begin Thursday. ...

Carter's lawyers have accused law enforcement of withholding exculpatory evidence they said indicated someone else may have killed Shirley. The new evidence, they claimed, included interviews detectives conducted with witnesses who said a group of three people broke into her home to burglarize it, killing her in the process.

But Jason Carter knew information about the homicide that only the killer would have known, authorities said. He provided information to law enforcement that incriminated himself that included multiple inconsistent statements, investigators said.

Jason Carter pleaded not guilty to murder, a charge that, if convicted, would send him to life in prison without the possibility of parole...."

A civil jury found Jason Carter liable in his mother's death. Now he'll stand trial for murder.

CourtRoom12‏ @CrimesTrials Mar 5
Remember, this case is a little backwards. Civil case, father blames Jason, Jason blame father. Civil found Jason guilty.
Today
Jason Carter criminal trial started for Killing His Mother
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember this 2015 murder but didn't follow the later trials while I was in UK.

I recently watched the AE documentary Accused: Guilty or Innocent Jason Carter. In the episode, we learn DCI's Agent Mark Ludwick delivered a box of 82 CDs of discovery to the County Sheriff's office 3 days before the trial!

Faced with the decision of whether or not to attempt to delay the opening trial date in the changed venue-- hours away, JC's defense team rolled- up their sleeves and tackled the box.

Although the inventory sheet cited 82 disks, there were actually 77 -- Some labeled CDs were actually blank, and some that had no label contained data.

I've followed cases where the defense is screaming for Discovery violation sanctions three days after the defendant's first appearance -- let alone 3 days before trial. It was unbelievable!

This and more follow Carter's lawsuit against DCI Agent Mark Ludwick that's been twice dismissed and revived. Oral arguments were heard before the Supreme Court in mid-October 2022 and the Supreme Court Opinion is currently pending.

I believe more than not that Jason is responsible for the murder of his mother. However, I'm supportive of his suit against DCI Agent Ludwick because I don't agree with qualified immunity when investigators do shoddy police work. Listening to the jurors interviewed, I believe the investigator cost the state this case. MOO

7/3/2020

KNOXVILLE, Iowa — An Iowa man who successfully sued one of his sons for the shooting death of his wife has been assaulted by his other son, police said.

Billy Dean Carter, 55, was arrested Wednesday and charged with assaulting his father, 74-year-old Bill Carter, the Des Moines Register reported. Police said the younger Carter knocked his father to the ground and kicked him twice on a road near the elder father’s home following an argument. A passerby found Bill Carter lying on the side of the road around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, police said.

An arrest affidavit says Billy Carter told Marion County sheriff’s deputies he had left his father’s home on foot after an argument, then attacked his father after the older man later approached him in a truck.

7/3/2020

KNOXVILLE, Iowa — An Iowa man who successfully sued one of his sons for the shooting death of his wife has been assaulted by his other son, police said.

Billy Dean Carter, 55, was arrested Wednesday and charged with assaulting his father, 74-year-old Bill Carter, the Des Moines Register reported. Police said the younger Carter knocked his father to the ground and kicked him twice on a road near the elder father’s home following an argument. A passerby found Bill Carter lying on the side of the road around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday, police said.

An arrest affidavit says Billy Carter told Marion County sheriff’s deputies he had left his father’s home on foot after an argument, then attacked his father after the older man later approached him in a truck.

for Billy Dean from the court site:

DEFENDANTS PETITION TO PLEAD GUILTY TO COURT DYER JONAH HAMMER 12/10/2020 12/28/2020 12/28/2020
ORDER TO ACCEPT PLEA MERTZ MARTHA L 12/27/2020 12/28/2020 12/28/2020
Comments: SENTENCING HEARING 01/21/2021 10:00 AM MACS.

OTHER ORDER RICKERS TERRY 01/15/2021 01/15/2021 01/15/2021
Comments: NO CONTACT ORDER REMAINS IN EFFECT 5 YEARS FROM DATE OF
ORDER - 01/15/2027.

PROBATION REVOCATION IOWA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS - MARION 12/29/2022 12/29/2022 12/29/2022
Comments: REPORT OF VIOLATIONS FILED BY PROBATION OFFICER KELLY WICKAM

ORDER FOR CONTINUANCE SINNARD CHARLES C 01/26/2023 01/26/2023 01/26/2023
Comments: OF PROBATION VIOLATION HEARING 02/16/2023 01:30 PM MACS.

link: https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm

I am not going to post his hearing - just posting this if anyone else is interested in this case.

for Billy Dean from the court site:

DEFENDANTS PETITION TO PLEAD GUILTY TO COURT DYER JONAH HAMMER 12/10/2020 12/28/2020 12/28/2020
ORDER TO ACCEPT PLEA MERTZ MARTHA L 12/27/2020 12/28/2020 12/28/2020
Comments: SENTENCING HEARING 01/21/2021 10:00 AM MACS.

OTHER ORDER RICKERS TERRY 01/15/2021 01/15/2021 01/15/2021
Comments: NO CONTACT ORDER REMAINS IN EFFECT 5 YEARS FROM DATE OF
ORDER - 01/15/2027.

PROBATION REVOCATION IOWA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS - MARION 12/29/2022 12/29/2022 12/29/2022
Comments: REPORT OF VIOLATIONS FILED BY PROBATION OFFICER KELLY WICKAM

ORDER FOR CONTINUANCE SINNARD CHARLES C 01/26/2023 01/26/2023 01/26/2023
Comments: OF PROBATION VIOLATION HEARING 02/16/2023 01:30 PM MACS.

link: https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm

I am not going to post his hearing - just posting this if anyone else is interested in this case.
Thanks, @Niner.

I see that didn't go well for this already fractured family. And with a 5-year no-contact order to 2027, dad is now estranged from both of his sons.

When the daughter's name seemed to be missing from the wrongful death civil suit against Jason, I wondered if there was also tension between dad and daughter going back to 2017. JMO

What a mess and no justice for Shirley. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett