GUILTY IA - Sterling Koehn, 4 mos, starved to death, Alta Vista, 30 Aug 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
TF: went to check pulse, arm was stiff and cold. Clothes were crusty. "It just wasn't right," there were bugs that flew up.

TF: the room was hot, stuffy, there was the stench of urine. I realized I couldn't do anything and called for the sheriff's dept.

Prosecution asks TF to identify Harris.

TF: "I can't see her. She has her head .."

Harris asked to remove her hand from her face.

Prosecution showing photo of Sterling in swing.

Harris head her head in her hand, weeping as witness describes the photos

Jury sent out for a break, defense attorney consoles Harris, she leaves the courtroom in tears.

Cheyanne Harris leaves the courtroom in tears after state shows photos of baby Sterling’s body in swing seat

6DCFB208-F1D4-45BF-BC8A-6AC8ED2F6D5D.jpeg

Jeff Reinitz (@JeffAtCourier) | Twitter

Everyone returning to the courtroom, Harris has regained her composure.

Beginning cross by defense attorney Aaron Hawbaker.

Hawbaker asked TF if she looked for brusies, broken bone, injuries to child. TF said she was just there to see if CPR could be done.

On redirect,TF said she didn't touch Sterling after determining nothing could be done.

Timmins:"It's fair to say Sterling was a crime scene"

Next witness is Tina Shatek, a mail carrier and 1st responder who also went to the Alta Vista apartment

Shatek said she was delivering mail when she saw Friedrich looking for an address, found the address went to help out.

Shatek: entered apartment and saw TF kneeling by baby.The parents were outside "they were just very quiet, no tears."

Shatek:asked TF if I could help. The room felt very warm, smelled like dirty diapers, "Strong as too strong for the children to be in there"

Shatek: didn't look at the child bc didn't want those memories. Mother said baby was fine last night when she fed him.

Shatek: "There were no tears, that was no emotion." "She should have been crying and screaming and upset."

Shatek: I asked if she meant she fed him that morning, 4month old would need to be fed earlier. Harris didn't respond

Shatek: Went back to mail rounds, had to throw up. "It was so sad."

Next witness is Deputy Jason Rosol, who responded to the scene.

Rosol: Taken to the back bedroom. saw a mattress leaving against a wall, a car seat, facing the corner was a swing with a baby in it.

Rosol: Also new newborn diapers packaged with rubberbands, as if given as a gift.

Rosol: It was warmer than the rest of the apartment, strong odor of human urine. There was no fan, no air movement in the room.

Rosol: When I got closer to the baby, I could smell death. also noticed air freshener melts had been placed under the seat.

Rosol: "It was the strongest human urine smell I ever smelled." anyone in the room would notice it.

Rosol: when I removed the blanket, I had to hold my breath. His little hands were clenched.

Rosol: I have a child the same age as Sterling, and I though dispatch had wrong information about Sterling's age. He was small, sickly

Rosol: I had the same swing, had a mobile that plays music. The swing wan't moving or playing music.

Rosol: Noticed what looked like blood on his hands and coming out of mouth. The chair was soaked in urine.

Rosol: Sterling was stiff, rigor had set in.The call said he wasn't recently passed, That wasn't right, he hadn't recently passed.

Rosol: shirt was stiff. Touched the blanket, it was completely wet. "It was vile ... as I moved the blanket, the smell got worse."

Rosol: gnats flew out from under blanket.

Lunch break.

Lunch is over, back in court. Deputy Rosol is back on the stand, describing the swing where Sterling was found.

Rosol: items under the swing were soaked in what I assume was urine. It would have run off the swing through those holes in the harness.

Rosol: Didn't find any soiled diapers in the room, only new diapers wrapped with a band.

Deputy Rosol going over photos of the Alta Vista apartment, giving a tour through photos

Rosol said AC wasn't on, the ceiling fan in the living room was on. Child's movie on the TV, found toys for Sterling's toddler sister.

Rosol: The bedroom with Sterling was steps away. Small apartment. Empty pop bottles by the swing seat, no fans in the bedroom.

State showing photos of Sterling's body in the swing. Rosol said he found scented wax packets in the room but no warmer for the wax.

Rosol said he touched part of Sterling's shirt, and it was stiff. Now showing close up of Sterling's face, hand clenched in fists.

Rosol: One of Sterling's arms was discolored from sitting in urine-soaked seat. Discoloration in seat showed he moved his feet.

Rosol: found one baby bottle in the room. The contents had started to turn, divided into a fluid and pasty substance, had been there awhile.

Rosol: Other blankets and clothing were in the seat under Sterling. were damp and smelled of urine.

Rosol said he found canisters for 2 different types for formula in kitchen cupboard, 3/4 full and 1/3 full.

Rosol found Charles City HyVee supermarket receipt in apartment. was for $123.53 worth of items bought on Aug26,2017, (4day before 911 call)

On cross examination, defense asks about any effort to obtain HyVee surveillance video to see who made the purchase.

Defense asks if toddler sister could have moved the pop bottles and scented wax found by swing seat.

next witness is Jeremy McGrath, Chickasaw County medical examiner at the time

McGrath said he found the infant cold and wet. obviously deceased. "The baby was cold" lifted arm and it was cold and stiff. In rigor.

McGrath: Rigor usually sets in 12 to 24 hours after death. room was warm. Swing was facing the wall opposite of the doorway.

McGrath: didn't recognize the odor, saw bugs flying around.

McGrath: Talked with Cheyanne. She seemed normal, no emotion. Didn't appear to be under the influence.

McGrath: Harris didn't provide any explanations, said she last saw Sterling alive at 8 pm the previous night.

No cross by defense. Next witness is Chickasaw Co. Sheriff Martin Hemann

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lockett