GUILTY IA - Sterling Koehn, 4 mos, starved to death, Alta Vista, 30 Aug 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DCI Special Agent James Thiele on the stand. #cheyanneHarris

153B69BD-03B2-4088-8EC0-74838EDFFFFE.jpeg

Trial is back on. Thiele is on cross-examination by defense attorney Aaron Hawbaker. Going over the HyVee receipt.

Hawbaker is asking about any effort to obtain HyVee video to see who made the purchases from the receipt. Thiele said he didn't know of any.

Thiele is done. Next witness is Jennifer Schriever, who babysat Sterling and works at AVExpress gas station where she met Harris inJune2017

Jeff Reinitz (@JeffAtCourier) | Twitter

Schriever talking about a storm that came through AltaVista in July 2017, large part of tree fell on Harris' apt building.

Schiever: Harris was outside with toddler daughter, talked with Harris, she was upset Koehn was at work.

Schriever: Harris mentioned her baby, 1st I knew she had a baby. She had left it inside, was outside 20min to half hour.

Schriever:met Zachary Koehn a few weeks later, he was outside. offered to babysit the children

Schiever: It seemed like Cheyanne maybe to get out of the house. she seemed kind of sad.

Schiever: I babysat both children, 17 hours the first time, in mid July 2017. Sterling was happy, didn't fuss alot. He seemed really tiny.

Schriever: Harris said they had some issues with formula and Sterling gaining weight but said it was under control.

Schriever: Harris had notes on instructions for caring for the kids. She mentioned diaper rash on Sterling, provided ointment for it.

Schriever: She seemed very organized. Sterling's rash was red, raw, almost to the point of cracking. I tried to keep him as dry as possible

... used the ointment. Probably 5 plus diaper changes in the 17 hours. Also fed Sterling, he took a bottle very well ...

... Harris provided the formula and bottle.

Schriever: "He ate like a trooper" about 6 to 8oz per feeding, every 2 or 3 hours.

Schriever: second time babysitting the kids was end of July or so. Harris asked if I could. "I was happy to watch the kids anytime."

Schriever: 2nd time was about 16 hrs.Harris was organized again, had notebook, supplies. Sterling still light, but seemed a little heavier.

Schiever: I'd interact with Sterling, talk to him. He'd shoot me a smile. no problems feeding him 2nd time. Still had rash,but it was better

Schriever: 2nd time got txt from Harris that she'd pick him up,saw them return to apt complex.

Schriever:Daughter ran out of milk and I told Harris she need to come get the kids. She didn't come.

Schriever: We brought the kids to Harris' apt. She huffed and rolled her eyes like she wasn't ready to have them back.

Schriever: In Aug 2017 saw Koehn outside smoking cigarette, I asked what was up, he said his baby died, he didn't know what to do.

Schriever: I told him to put out the cigarette and call 911.

Schriever: I looked after dog when meds, deputies came. returned the dog a few days later. They were talking funeral arrangements.

Schriever: Harris said everyone was pointing finger at her. Harris told Koehn they should have taken daughter and Leo and ran.

On cross, Schiever said Harris seemed kind of disconnected.

Schriever is done. Next witness is Dave Nugent, Koehn's boss.

Zachary Koehn, Sterling's father, drove truck, hauling chickens. Started work May15, 2017. earned $45,000/year. paycheck every 2 weeks

Nugent said he offered health insurance to his employees, Koehn turned down the insurance.

Nugent said he gave Koehn a loans, took it out of his paycheck.

Nugent said he gave Koehn a loans, took it out of his paycheck.

Next witness is Brandy Harris, Cheyanne's mom. No images of Brandy are being used bc of death threats. She's here under subpoena

Brandy: Cheyanne lived in another state is Koehn, flew back to Iowa a few weeks before she gave birth to Sterling.

Brandy: Cheyanne gave birth at a friend's house in bathtub. I lived 2 blocks away and went there.

Brandy: Sterling went to a hospital, there were concerns about water in lungs. No health problems after he was released.

Brandy: I took Sterling to doctor for well baby check bc Cheyanne was hemorrhaging. He was fine.

BrandyHarris: Koehn wasn't allowed at our house.

BH: I never went inside AltaVista apartment. Zach kind of felt the same way about us as we did about him. I took care of Sterling 4-5 times.

BH: Sterling was a happy baby. he wasn't a heavy cryer but he'd fuss if he needed something.

BH: Whenever he needed a bottle, he'd let you know. When first born had problem latching, that went away quickly.

BH: never saw health issues with Sterling. Once had a mild diaper rash, changed the wipes and he was fine.

BH: Cheyanne raised her daughter. Sterling grew but wasn't getting chunky. He ate and he was active.

BH: We bought Sterling a bouncy seat, swing, etc ... They got a car seat from a former employer.

BH: baby shower was a week after he was born. Got blankets, clothes, toys, a "diaper cake" made of new diapers arranged to look like cake

Lunch break

Trial is back on, Brandy Harris' mom is still on the stand. Talking about Wapsie Days, the last time she looked after Sterling.

BH: Sterling was still thin, eating normal, had a minor rash, nothing to be concerned about.

State showing photo of Sterling at baby shower in May. He's sleeping in a car seat.

State showing more photos.

BH: "He was young, happy"

No cross from the defense.

next witness is Jordan Clark, Koehn's friend

Clark worked hauling chicks, so did Koehn. worked for different places doing the same job. They met in 2017.

Clark said he used to do drugs with Koehn, did meth. Used meth with him at work sites. Clark said he no longer does drugs.

Clark said he went to the AltaVista apartment 2-3 times. used w/ Harris and Koehn, smoked it.

Clark would do it in masterbedroom to be away from their daughter, who was playing in livingroom a few feet away.

Clark said he never went in the other bedroom, never saw a baby in the apartment. Harris played with the daughter, fed her, took care of her

Clark said he didn't know how Koehn and Harris got meth. Sometimes Koehn bought drugs from Clark,$20-$40 worth. Clark also bought from Koehn

Clark: Usually half gram quantities, enough for 1-2 people

Clark said he spent total of 4-6 hours in AltaVista apartment and didn't know they had baby.

Clark said after Sterling's death, he developed relationship with Harris.

Clark said relationship continues with Harris, writes and texts her.

No cross. Next witness is Sheila Schroeder, a DHS worker

Schroeder is a child protection worker for Iowa Department of Human Services. became involved in Sterling's case, interviewed Harris.

Schroeder: Daughter was non-verbal. Appeared healthy. no signs of physical maltreatment.

Schroeder talked with Harris in September 2017. had several phone calls before they agreed to meet. Met at Osage library.

Schroeder: Harris was tearful at times but engaged in interview. Didn't appear to be under the influence.

Schroeder said Koehn said he thought Sterling died of SIDS, and Harris agreed with that statement.

Schroeder said Harris wasn't specific about last time she fed and bathed Sterling. She said he was bathed about every 3 days.

Schroeder: Koehn said Harris was last to see him alive, she didn't dispute that.

Schroeder: Harris said she was a stay-at-home mom, and she was the primary caretaker for the children, said Koehn didn't change diapers

Schroeder: Harris said she had depression,didn't say when.

Schoeder: Harris used meth about 1 week before Sterling's death, smoked it

Cross examination by defense.

Schoeder said Koehn and Harris were reluctant to meet. Koehn laughed through interview, Harris was tearful

Schroeder: had concerned about Harris' past meth use and ability to parent.

Defense attorney Hawbaker: Her inability to provide times of feedings could be bc meth use?

Schroeder: correct.

Hawbaker:not unusual to have parents be reluctant to have DHS involved?

Schroeder:yes

Hawbaker:Parents can minimize their drug use?

SS: Yes

redirect

Schroeder: don't know if Harris was minimizing her drug use.

next witness is Agent John Turbett with Iowa DCI.

Turbett interviewed Koehn on Aug. 30, 2017.

Turbett saw Koehn and Harris again on Sept. 1, 2017, after their DHS interview. Obtained buccal swab for DNA.

Turbett said he saw them in their vehicle,he got out of his vehicle, and Harris tried to drive off.Turbett pulled his badge out,she stopped

Turbett said Koehn was beligerant, angry.

Turbett said they obtained a search warrant for Facebook records.

Jury is out. attorneys going over Facebook data pertaining to a FB group Harris was in.

Defense leaving for a conference room to talk about it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoTX local
Back