ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 51

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Idaho murders: FBI directed Indiana police to pull over Bryan Kohberger, seeking video images of his hands

I knew it! IN LE was directed to make both traffic stops. The stops were too casual and no ticket given, among other reasons. MOO Thanks for posting.

Just a random question that one of you may know the answer to.

If Bryan's parent's home was damaged during the raid, who pays for the repairs? They apprehended their suspect at the home, but the parents themselves weren't the suspects, so are they responsible or would they receive any sort of compensation?
I’ve never known of a US police department to compensate for damages as a result of a search warrant unless it is included in a lawsuit for an illegal warrant or false arrest.

The LAPD is renowned for a drug-raid innovation it developed in the 1980s that literally entailed driving through people’s homes with a tank.

LAPD blew up two block city radius during a raid on someone with illegal fireworks last year because they overloaded their bomb defusing device, several people were hospitalized.

When Cops Commit Property Damage

When LAPD officers told Elba she should contact her insurance company last week, they did so with a confidence instilled by years of legal precedent.
According to the Times, a 1995 California Supreme Court ruling confirmed that “the government should not be held liable for damage that occurs as a consequence of lawful and reasonable actions by the police.”

In 2011, police in Schenectady, New York, coaxed a landlord into giving them keys to one of her tenants’ units. The next morning, they plowed through the man’s door with a battering ram, wrecking the doorframe and dislodging the wall between the apartment and the hall. The landlord was encouraged to file an insurance claim for compensation from the city. It was promptly denied because “the police had a search warrant.”

Some victims are trying to push the issue to the U.S. Supreme Court.
In 2015, a SWAT team tore every window out of Leo Lech’s home in Greenwood Village, Colorado, and pulverized most of the interior while looking for a guy they suspected of shoplifting.
A federal appeals court ruled they didn’t owe him anything. He’s still trying to get SCOTUS to hear the case.

Edited to add links

Last edited:
I agree that the social circles of the victims and the killer wouldn't likely cross paths. We know that BK became acquainted with Moscow fairly early after relocating to Pullman from PA -- given he was cited by Moscow LE for a seatbelt violation as early as 8/21 at 11:49 PM near the shopping strip on Hwy 8 ... Super Walmart, Target, WinCo, etc., and which happens to be less than 2 miles from the murder scene.

BK told authorities in PA that he found better shopping in Moscow than his side of town in Pullman. I think BK could have been a late-night shopper which would be conducive for a peeper-- providing him the opportunity to become familiar with the King Rd residence and its occupants where the victims were clueless about BK lurking in the neighborhood. MOO

What time do most shops close in Moscow? You might not know but a Moscow local might see this & chip-in. ( When the neighbour said he often didn't get home til midnight I just assumed prowling or cruising the bars)

@North_Idaho_Nony Any ideas? I don't mean hypermarkets etc ( which probably have cameras)

Edited to add

I now see that @Rhenish has done an informative post on this, a page back on this thread. ( Sorry, was reading the thread 'backwards'.)
Newsnation have had journalists on the ground in Moscow, off & on for 6 weeks but she couldn't add a little bit of journalism in her show? SMH.

Last edited:
Given BK's knowledge of the justice system, I'd be very surprised if he opts to defend himself.

MOO, he's much more likely to work closely with his attorney and be an active participant in his defense.

From about 2:30 onwards she talks about somethings that BK said.
She, Ashleigh, is bothered by the fact that Bryan indicated he frequented the Moscow area as "it has better shopping". I think she is reading something nefarious into this and she took it the wrong way. In the 70's when I lived in Pullman I, and others, frequented Moscow for shopping and partying. From the early to mid-2000's when my daughter attended there she, and others, primarily shopped in Moscow, there is a Winco, (an awesome grocery store)and also Moscow has a great co-op that we went to all the time when I was over there visiting. My niece just moved from Pullman to outside of Moscow after having lived in Pullman for the last 3 years, her husband works for WSU, and they shopped in Moscow. I have no doubt Bryan was being to the point when explaining his presence in Moscow was for shopping, what I want to know is what else he went there for and why.

Last edited:
ADMIN NOTE:

For many threads now, it's in the Opening Posts, and members have been instructed not to speculate on Kohberger's mental health. Such speculation is not based on any KNOWN fact.

Maybe he has bipolar or Aspergers, or schizophrenia, autism, ADHD, psychopathy/sociopathy, narcissism, or one of the other hundreds of potential diagnoses ... the list goes on and on. Somebody always bickers over specifics or gets upset about whatever, and Mods spend hours cleaning up the off topic discussion.

Do NOT clutter this discussion with speculation on specific mental health issues that are currently unknown or your post will be removed and there may be a loss of posting privileges.

She is bothered by the fact that Bryan indicated he frequented the Moscow area as "it has better shopping". I think she is reading something nefarious into this and she took it the wrong way. In the 70's when I lived in Pullman I, and others, frequented Moscow for shopping and partying. From the early to mid-2000's when my daughter attended there she, and others, primarily shopped in Moscow, there is a Winco, (an awesome grocery store)and also Moscow has a great co-op that we went to all the time when I was over there visiting. My niece just moved from Pullman to outside of Moscow after having lived in Pullman for the last 3 years, her husband works for WSU, and they shopped in Moscow. I have no doubt Bryan was being to the point when explaining his presence in Moscow was for shopping, what I want to know is what else he went there for and why.
Maybe that's just how she took it? The poster just asked where the comments came from and I'd watched this this morning so I could link it. I have no idea about the area in general so I don't really have any clue about the shopping lol.

They could give him a can of beans and it would be vegan and nutritious. Agree, and to others posting that a vegan diet is somehow going out of the way to provide for a suspect of a quadruple homicide, eating vegan can be cheap and easy.
Wouldn't a licensed dietician review that?

agree on principle that it could be cheap & easy but does his facility even have a kitchen or, are all meals bought in?

IDK about jails, but seems common in federal prisons - according to the last sentence in the section, linked.

In the US court system, you are innocent until proven guilty. I am not a lawyer, but that is our system. Even if you just follow for instance, British crimes series, you will detect right away that our US Miranda rights are specific, and VERY different from what you hear when folks are arrested in other nations. We have the right to remain silent. period.

These crimes were brutal. violent.

The person that committed these crimes is dangerous. So, unless LE was on him 24/7, there's no way they would be secure in the fact that the public in that area was safe. I would say especially because this was a college community, and the victims were college-aged students.

Also, in the US, we enjoy freedoms that allow for that freedom, until through our legal system, that it's decided that there is enough evidence for an arrest.

IMO, LE has overwhelming evidence that they have THE killer.

That flight today (with the refueling layovers) was just so long, and I wonder if BK had any utterances (about anything)? No one can say now because of the gag order.
Exactly. They had no idea what he was capable of. Thus, the 3 AM raid. They had to make sure he would not take his own family's lives. They had to make sure he didn't jump out a window and run off into the woods, or take a hammer to his laptop or, or. The crime he is accused of committing is so heinous... he could be capable of flipping on a dime. Also - I doubt he said anything. He will play the long game - they will try to make it look like SODDI. (some other dude did it) and everything will be a coincidence.

Maybe that's just how she took it? The poster just asked where the comments came from and I'd watched this this morning so I could link it. I have no idea about the area in general so I don't really have any clue about the shopping lol.
I believe it is to do with the tax rate between the two states ….

In Boise, you will pay an effective tax rate of 0.75%. The state sales tax in Washington is 10.1%. The state sales tax in Idaho is 6%.

Reference:
Google - is tax on items lower in idaho than washington state?

Cost of living is most likely important to students …

JMO

thanks for the clip

Frustrating though.
When Ashleigh says something is fascinating, can't she explain who was asking him these questions such as ' Why did you do it?' etc

Who I was supposed to infer? FBI/LEO interrogators?
It’s likely she can’t, most people won’t reveal their sources especially in the media. We will hopefully know more today anyway in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member