ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 52

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He may not have realized he was spotted by one of the roommates. (If the house was quite dark at 4am, someone peeking out from a darkened bedroom might not be easily visible, especially if the victims' bedrooms were better lit, meaning the killer's eyes might not have adjusted to the darkened hallway, whereas the roommate-witness would have been able to see much better.)

Assuming that he didn't see her, is it realistically possible that he didn't even know there were other roomates left alive in the house? It seems unlikely given the evidence that he staked it out ahead of time, but it might explain why he thought he could return before the crime was reported. MOO.
If he drove past the house several times in the hour before the attack, he likely knew which rooms were lit and thus probably occupied. Maybe both of the surviving housemates' rooms were dark by then? Or he was really targeting just one person, with the rest being collateral damage?

These careless actions always remind me of a comment made by a profiler in another case. Despite having intelligence, their mental state is such that what they think is clever planning will be seen the same way by others, they do not see the obvious fallacy in their thinking/planning. For someone to commit these 4 cold blooded violent deaths, they must think and feel differently then the rest of society. MOO
A great study in that kind of thinking can be found in Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. As a master criminal you think you have it all planned out, and then something happens to throw you a curve. No matter how the criminal may flatter himself otherwise, he simply can't control all the elements of a crime.

I'm catching up and I'm speechless :( They were awake (well at least 2 for sure sounds like), the dog did bark, and HE consoled his victim before taking her life... just sad to hear these details.
That is how BTK was too. He spoke to his victims to calm them down before he took their life’s.
There is definitely a link with him and Denis Rader’s method.

Having read the 19 page affidavit for the second time I think that there was only one target (probably either KG or MM) but when he found them sharing the same bed he killed both. Then it was probably just bad luck that XM was still awake and she caught him coming back down. XM and EC were probably in the wrong place at the wrong time. DM saw him leave but he may not have necessarily seen her. I still wonder what the motive was for that target and specifically that house. And just why do it? Why murder 4 innocent people. It baffles me! So sad for them all and their families. JMO.

I think maybe both MM and XK. He really had a lot of arguments with women who served him. Maybe he misinterpreted what they said, or thought they ridiculed him? Probably some kind of unjustice collection. I think in his mind, he felt "justified" in attacking the targets, but not the collateral victims. JMO. He had different feelings towards men than towards women, and perhaps wanted to have a friend. I think if anything bothered him, it was one collateral victim, i.e., killing a tall, young male student.

If it was BK, that act of reassuring the victim is very much like what BTK did with his victims. He claimed it calmed them down, like they believed he was going to let them live.

(I've just started reading K Ramsland's book on BTK. Tough reading and I'm not yet very far into it. My brain needed a shower after reading.)
I have been sitting here thinking of how I wanted bleach for my brain. Or a shot. I don’t really even drink. I’m not okay.

I guess he could have chosen these victims at random. But that doesn't make sense to me. There has to be a reason he chose them, or one or more of them. Plus he walked right by one of the surviving roommates on his way out. Maybe he didn't see her or maybe she wasn't one of the intended victims?

I believe that this case will not come to trial. The public defender is experienced enough to share the wisdom with her client that he will be executed unless he pleads guilty thus saving the victims’ families the agony of a trial and the state the expense. He really has no alternative. Perhaps his family will reinforce this reality to him. He will likely require this message from them to become convinced.

Ppl were at that house all the time it sounds like. Party house. I’m my opinion she wouldn’t think he was there to murder ppl. She probably assumed he was there and then he was leaving.
I think this could be a real possibility. Especially since he was walking, not running and he wasn't trying to get into other rooms.

So were Ethan and Xana actually awake when he came in? It had been reported before that everyone was sleeping - but the affidavit says she got door dash at 4 am with the murders starting up 20 minutes later. I can't imagine she ate her food, got into bed, and then was fast asleep in such a brief period.

I can't imagine that either. If E and X are like me, they would have taken their treats into their room to finish them up, which of course LE already knows whether they did or didn't. But, they may have eaten quickly in the kitchen, turned off the kitchen light and gone into her room. In theory, BK could have been still driving around and not noticed that two people were still up?

Anyone know why his license plate was captured in loma, coclorado on december 13th. Driving from pullman washington to pennsylvainia……this seems pretty far out of the way. Just curious about this among other items in the PCA.

That's the route I would take, as it's so scenic. Too snowy for them to have driven into Yellowstone, but they could have driven past the Grand Tetons and past Ouray and the area around RMNP. Maybe Dad wanted to see the scenery? It is spectacular.

Interesting, though. Adds more time to their trip. Also, perhaps Mr. Big Brain BK thought he could tell if anyone was following him by taking a non-standard route.

IMHO It's possible the roommates did not want to get in any type of trouble because they have had complaints and LE called before. Still many unanswered questions but it does seem odd to describe an unconscious person (that's where the maybe don't want trouble comes in) but apparently, there was quite a bit of blood at the scene. Everyone processes horrific incidents differently. These are young people. Maybe just how they reacted to the shock of finding their roommates killed. It is possible that they will be called to testify and maybe more clarity on the topic.

We do not know if any caller from 1122 used the word "unconscious." Even if they said "Dead person," no one was qualified to pronounce someone dead and it's standard practice to use the word "unconscious" in a report of a 911 call about a person not moving and believed by caller to be dead. We haven't heard that 911 call, but I'll bet a bag of chips that no caller said "unconscious" unless it's about someone fainting upon seeing the carnage.

Maybe (MOO) he thought D had already called when she saw him and wanted to see what was happening?

In any case, a very dumb move. He would have thrust himself onto the list of suspects right away. As, it turns out, he did once they got the pings. But he did risk running into LE with his action and probably was very curious why the news wasn't all over the local media. Maybe he also had a scanner app that caught LE activity, but thought it odd that he heard nothing about his own crime. He wanted to start the cat and mouse portion.

When many posters here were suggesting that this killer entered stealthily, in a Tyvek suit, or some type of wetsuit, covered from head to toe, so as not to leave any trace of himself behind, I never thought that was believable at all, but I did think he was smarter than to leave his DNA on the knife sheath he left on the bed beside one of the victims. I think almost all of us gave this killer entirely too much credit. All of his studies, and he failed to do things most of us would have known not to do after watching a couple episodes of CSI. I do not think he will be remembered as one of the most intelligent mass murderers. JMO

I have to disagree that it was "many" posters here. It was few, a handful. Just as we're seeing some people say that taking a knife into a stranger's house is not evidence of premeditation or that unsheathing the knife is not premeditation, we will always have outlier theories here. It's a feature of WS, not a bug.

The rumor about the sheath was circulating on SM early on. I was hopeful it was true and it was. Sounds like the sheath was unbloodied (interestingly) because the PCA says they found the DNA on the snap/buckle of the sheath and doesn't mention victim blood (but it could simply been deemed irrelevant at this point).

I think some of us doubted his intelligence and said so. The way the scene was described as "sloppy" and "containing lots of evidence" from almost the first day really made me wonder. I'm not saying he's stupid, I just think he has a very narrow form of intelligence and even so, he's not in the highest percentile of analytic, linear thinkers (but thinks he is, has been told he's brilliant by a young professor at a middle-of-the-fact university that some might call a bit of a degree mill).

Okay. Apologies if this has been posted about already -- it's nearly impossible to keep up right now.

One fascinating (to me) revelation from the PCA is how clearly it indicates that LE wasn't being forthright about even those few details of the case that it chose to make public. I'm going to zero in on one "fact" that was posted repeatedly by Moscow PD: "The other roommates [meaning DM and BF] did not wake up until later that morning." (I''m quoting from memory here.)

After reading the PCA, it's clear that this was a blatantly misleading statement. DM was both an ear witness and an eye witness! And in no way did she sleep through the killings, which is what was implied. (IIRC, E's mother softly contradicted this, alluding to the fact that the girls downstairs had heard something. Now we know what she was referring to.)

I'm not outraged that LE lied about this -- I completely understand why they would have felt this was the safer thing to do rather than drawing attention to the fact that one of the survivors could potentially help ID the killer.

However, and here is my point and my questions to my fellow WebSleuths : What other details might have deliberately misrepresented in initial reports/LE communications? And why?

I was on a jury a trial in DC, not a murder, but car jacking with aggravated assult. The defendant had wiped down door, door latches, shift handle, steering wheel on vehicle, but they captured fingerprints of defendant from back of mirror and the back of headlight lighting stalk. So it is really cool that they captured DNA from button snap of Kabar sheath.

This guy may have had a good amount of academic knowledge, but lacked the years and years practical vocation experience the detectives and analysists at FBI have. I bet he simply did not know how any points of contact perps can leave at a scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Owlsorflowers