ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 57

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the thoughtful response (your screen name is a good fit).

I am perplexed by what the thud would have been, for sure. If he didn't throw Xana (who might not have made much of a thud anyway), did he shove or kick Ethan back toward the wall, maybe already wounded by the knife? I'm just trying hard to think about how such a loud thud (loud-ish; I just experimented with a 50dB sound in my own house less than 50 feet away and cannot hear it from 30 feet away). A crow squawking at 80-90dB 30 feet away is audible inside the house, but sounds fairly faint from 50 feet away with the house in between us.

Could be BK slamming shut the bedroom door? Because I still believe that the roommates did not initially see into the room very far or at all when they started calling Xana's phone and freaking out that they could hear it, but she didn't come to the door (per early reports of the 911 call). IMO.

The slamming of the door would be in keeping with BK's agitation that Xana was not in bed and Ethan was likely awake.

It could also have been Xana slamming the door, but failing to be able to lock it before BK flung it open. A door slam would likely register from outside the house (we sometimes hear door slams from our neighbors, even one across the street and more than 50 feet away - a house with several young people, occasional spats, etc)
I posted earlier about how I think the thud was actually outside and it still makes the most sense to me: ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 56

This is why I can't watch her. I've tried more than once.

I listened to an interview with a Retired Det. and loosely quoting, Bundy and others like him, would not have gotten as far as they did had they committed their crimes today. Today, surveillance is everywhere. It's basically "1984". People even have hidden trail cams on wooded property. Whole surveillance systems in their homes. These were 20-year-old kids. Invincible. I didn't lock my doors til I was much older and my 2nd s/o was so anal about it that I finally got into the habit of doing so as well (of course they had lived in a large city with far more violent crime, for several years, prior to returning to the hills).

I agree,

Not to mention violent crime is rare in a college town like Moscow.

I feel bad for the victims families and also BKs family. I'm sure it was hard when he had drug problems. And I bet his parents were relieved when he seemed to be back on track academically seemingly with a good future where he can support himself in a fashion similar to his sisters.
But nope...nope, now his future includes death penalty.
Not to mention stigma for the family.
Will he even feel badly about what he has done to his own family?

“A short time later, D.M. said she heard who she thought was Goncalves say something to the effect of "there's someone here." A review of records obtained from a forensic download of Kerodle's phone showed this could also have been Kernodle as her cellular phone indicated she was likely awake and using the TikTok app at approximately 4:12a.m. D.M. stated she looked out of her bedroom but did not see anything when she heard the comment about someone being in the house.” - Affidavit.

Interesting that the affidavit interprets “There’s someone here.” as to someone being in the house itself. It’s entirely possible that whoever said that may have seen someone or some car park outside. If someone parked on my property or closely walked past my window I would say the same thing.

Jmo

I have been pondering his awareness of her presence both before and after the murders. He walked toward her, then right past her.

Her story is eerily reminiscent of Nita Neary's. Ted Bundy walked right past Nita Neary on his way out of the Chi Omega house in strangely similar circumstancs. He even paused at the door as she stared at him, before slinking off into the night.
I think BK was on an adrenaline high at that point… with the barking dog and other noises during the murders he knew he needed to get out quickly, and he still had the presence of mind to know he had to be very quiet. I think he was so focused on getting out quickly & quietly that there’s a good chance he didn’t see D, and he was likely in the same adrenaline shock state that D described. And if he did see her, either it didn’t register or he decided to keep going to prevent risking any screaming or further noise. And he was probably physically spent by then

I agree with a previous poster who said that the 911 call may have included that D witnessed someone in the house overnight and that was not released to protect her and the other kids who were present on the call while BK was on the loose. LE said (after BK was arrested) the 911 call may be released soon, but IDK now due to the gag order.

Thank you for the thoughtful response (your screen name is a good fit).

I am perplexed by what the thud would have been, for sure. If he didn't throw Xana (who might not have made much of a thud anyway), did he shove or kick Ethan back toward the wall, maybe already wounded by the knife? I'm just trying hard to think about how such a loud thud (loud-ish; I just experimented with a 50dB sound in my own house less than 50 feet away and cannot hear it from 30 feet away). A crow squawking at 80-90dB 30 feet away is audible inside the house, but sounds fairly faint from 50 feet away with the house in between us.

Could be BK slamming shut the bedroom door? Because I still believe that the roommates did not initially see into the room very far or at all when they started calling Xana's phone and freaking out that they could hear it, but she didn't come to the door (per early reports of the 911 call). IMO.

The slamming of the door would be in keeping with BK's agitation that Xana was not in bed and Ethan was likely awake.

It could also have been Xana slamming the door, but failing to be able to lock it before BK flung it open. A door slam would likely register from outside the house (we sometimes hear door slams from our neighbors, even one across the street and more than 50 feet away - a house with several young people, occasional spats, etc)
Some good thoughts your end too:) It is hard to say, and the PCA does not provide any information on the wounds sustained by E or X or a definitive location of their bodies which could help to identify the cause of the loud thud, and nor does it give us an indication of the dB ultimately recorded by the CCTV, or suggest how loud the thud ultimately was.

I found it interesting that the CCTV seemed to evidence that voices could be heard, and if voices are indeed audible, I would pose that these may be male voices since they might have the dB/low frequency to be heard by the CCTV. I agree however that it could be a door slam, as you describe, that very plausible IMO as very few things could make such a sound - although the PCA refers to a "loud thud" which does not immediately suggest a door slam to me, IMO.

I'll go out on a limb and say that out-of-state plates do seem to up the chances of being stopped, especially if away from an interstate and in a small town. We've been stopped for minor things (one tail light out caused three stops in Arizona and Utah before we could locate a bulb in Vegas and head over there to fix it). I've been stopped 4X in Arizona in the past 6-7 years, for example, and not once in the state where my plates are from.

I'm guessing he was driving around in some manner that LE found suspicious and he had that out of state plate, maybe his WSU parking sticker.

Someone suggested BK was in the neighborhood to buy drugs, but IMO, it would be the opposite. Moscow PD has a zero tolerance policy for drugs. Idaho is still very bent on cannabis suppression. The list of people in jail in Moscow includes maybe 5-6 in for possession of cannabis-related paraphernalia, probably from a traffic stop that led to probable cause.

But Pullman, where BK lives, has dispensaries and advertisements for buying cannabis. One needs to be a resident of WA, I believe, to legally buy in Pullman, but it is the Pullman students who sell drugs to the U of ID students, IMO, after weeks of reading student forums and SM media posts. Moscow PD knows this.

And it would not surprise me if BK ingratiated himself into U of ID student life by being "that older guy" who always had bud to sell. Hangs around bars and parties, etc.
You don't need to be a resident to purchase weed in WA, but they'll pull you over across the border when you bring it back.

I still think the victims were stabbed in the order in which the judge read the names and charges for their murders. She started with burglary then
Maddie Mogen
Kaylee Goncalves
Xana Kernodle
Ethan Chapin

BUT i think Xana was still alive and wounded. He stopped “early” with her when he noticed Ethan in the bed. Then he goes back to crying Xana abd says don’t worry I’ll help you and uses the knife until she’s dead. He may have lifted her off the floor and said don’t worry I’ll help you to her face and she whimpered and then he threw her against the wall (the thud) then the final stabs and or slashes. Her room was pretty small so her body could have hit the wall and still been found lying where it was.
I like this theory. I also believe that they were killed in the order listed on criminal complaint, and it makes sense with what we know from PCA. Initially, I posited that it was EC who told XK that he would help her, however, your version is much more sick and twisted and could make sense.

I def think the “thud” was either XK or EC. The sound was captured at 4:17 and he was in the car and driving away by 4:20. This points to the idea that they were killed last and MM and KG first.

I concur. It's absurd. I'm not sure if anyone has lived in a college house, but if I heard those noises and saw some random dude, I would been annoyed, concerned, checked and made a note to check with my roommates in the morning to find out what the heck was going on last night. My plan would have also probably included a lecture about being respectful of my need for sleep. There is nothing weird here at all in my opinion

One night, at my college house (single room rented in a fraternity), I went out of my room and discovered a complete stranger sleeping on the porch that was part of the house. Didn't think a thing about it. Figured he was someone's brother or cousin or whatever. When he was there several nights in a row (and not there during the day), I started asking people whose relative he was.

Only the men in the house got concerned. House president was very concerned, and so a couple of guys talked to him when he came in that night. He was a homeless person, mental health issues, trying to work on campus and found our house and was sleeping on an old divan there. He was harmless, as far we know, and after consulting with me, he was allowed to stay three more nights (it was cold) and then find someplace else, with resources given him by the guys in the house (including a list of very low cost closet-like spaces or garages to rent from other guys).

I thought nothing about it. There was shrieking, laughter, yelling, slamming, music, dog barking (my dog), all manner of noise at nearly all hours. Getting a room in the back of the house near that porch area was the quietest place - much coveted by some of us. I can remember seeing many total strangers stumbling drunk through the house (we had a beer machine, so-called). I had never seen a drunk person until university, so it was alarming, but somehow I knew not to pay much attention.

I just thought of something: it makes sense to me, living in a party house, that the women would always keep their doors locked. I always did when I lived in residence in Uni.

DM kept her door shut and locked.

Likely, if Xana had been in bed, she'd have had her door shut for privacy and, IIRC, it would have automatically locked. IMO, she was up eating elsewhere, so it was open and BK barely prevented her from locking it in his face.

Maddie's door evidently wasn't locked. Was that normal? Was it because KG was there and they left the door open because it's a cramped room for two? On the other hand, with them talking, shutting the door would be natural to prevent the noise from waking others up.

Sadly, if only Maddie's door had been locked...

Last edited:
I think this is incorrect, IMO:

MM first, KG second, X attacked, E third, X fourth. Read the PCA.
The order in the PCA is detective language. It's not an analysis of who was killed first etc.

It's the order in which he is walking through the house making observations. It isn't based on the order in which they were killed. It's based on the order who he observed first, second, third and last.

I don't believe that sexual assault was on the menu that night. I think that BK is an injustice collector. Why them? Easy access to the house? Socially popular young women and men were his target? We haven't seen much come out about his past other than a little bit of information regarding his university work. Did he date? Did he use dating apps? What did he do for fun in his leisure time? Was he a gamer? Was he on Discord or Twitch? He's 28 what was his social life like? No friends to hang out with? Why not? Were the women who lived there the target or the house because it symbolized everything BK was not?
Excellent post!

I still think the victims were stabbed in the order in which the judge read the names and charges for their murders. She started with burglary then
Maddie Mogen
Kaylee Goncalves
Xana Kernodle
Ethan Chapin

BUT i think Xana was still alive and wounded. He stopped “early” with her when he noticed Ethan in the bed. Then he goes back to crying Xana abd says don’t worry I’ll help you and uses the knife until she’s dead. He may have lifted her off the floor and said don’t worry I’ll help you to her face and she whimpered and then he threw her against the wall (the thud) then the final stabs and or slashes. Her room was pretty small so her body could have hit the wall and still been found lying where it was.
I like this theory. I also believe that they were killed in the order listed on criminal complaint, and it makes sense with what we know from PCA. Initially, I posited that it was EC who told XK that he would help her, however, your version is much more sick and twisted and could make sense.

I def think the “thud” was either XK or EC. The sound was captured at 4:17 and he was in the car and driving away by 4:20. This points to the idea that they were killed last and MM and KG first.

I was thinking about this this morning (in Europe).

The PCA is not clear that this was the specific words that this male voice used - perhaps DM was tired and/or drunk at the time that she heard it or did not register it as being a serious statement, and then was stressed/distressed when she recalled it later as a witness in later interview. Page 4 of the PCA states: "a male voice say something to the effect of "it's ok, I'm going to help you."

We do not know, for example:
  • who - E or perp or some other - said it. It is not alleged in the PCA that the perp had said it,
  • if the statement is accurate, in the words used or sentiment expressed,
  • the timing of the statement, especially in relation to a murder or murders,
  • the time of the statement, especially in relation to other evidence such as as the CCTV on the neighbouring house, and
  • the intonation or meaning that was being expressed when this somebody had allegedly said it. Indeed, try it, you could say those words in a number of ways, with a different emphasis, to create a different meaning behind it. It can sound very sinister, or not.
But these words are subject to a high degree of interpretation, and as noted the witness account seems unreliable. But the sentiment - helping someone to do something - is interesting to me:

I understand that X and M were waitresses in a local restaurant, the Mad Greek. Perhaps KB had became aware of X and M in that place. If KB had encountered X there and therefore "knew" her, and assuming the male voice was KB and he was using this language at the time he killed her - which is not something alleged in the PCA - perhaps they could have had a prior conversation or disagreement in the context of providing a table service at the restaurant, and the perp was bringing it up again.

All just MOO and pure speculation. Sorry if already mentioned.
I wonder if he came across them at the coffee shop he went to that morning?

What’s the deal with Colorado? The PCA says he was pinged there. But also, before the arrest, when there was some talk about the car in Colorado, didn’t LE come out and say something like, “that owner is not involved“ ? Was that another deception, or did media misreport that? Colorado is way off course from Idaho to PA.

I just thought of something: it makes sense to me, living in a party house, that the women would always keep their doors locked. I always did when I lived in residence in Uni.

DM kept her door shut and locked.

Likely, if Xana had been in bed, she'd have had her door shut for privacy and, IIRC, it would have automatically locked. IMO, she was up eating elsewhere, so it was open and BK barely prevented her from shutting it in his face.

Maddie's door evidently wasn't locked. Was that normal? Was it because KG was there and they left the door open because it's a cramped room for two? On the other hand, with them talking, shutting the door would be natural to prevent the noise from waking others up.

Sadly, if only Maddie's door had been locked...
The bedroom doors do not lock automatically. They're typical residential bedroom/bathroom door type looks.

Or a pawn shop. I don’t think it has been mentioned if the sheath was new or showed use.
I wondered about that too.
if it was the original sheath purchased at the same time the knife was purchased it could well lead LE to source.

What’s the deal with Colorado? The PCA says he was pinged there. But also, before the arrest, when there was some talk about the car in Colorado, didn’t LE come out and say something like, “that owner is not involved“ ? Was that another deception, or did media misreport that? Colorado is way off course from Idaho to PA.
His vehicle was spotted at an Ez-pass (likely toll road)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xoAfina