ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 59

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're all familiar with the msm publicity around BK's Reddit survey & the interpretations of that.
We also heard in that latest Idaho Statesman link, that when he was with the masters students at WSU that first semester he was still saying that his principle interest was in forensic psychology ( link below)

in one of his first posts, BK uses a survey style to ask if any other people feel this badly. He's 15 ( it's before he studied Psychology at Northampton College)

example questions he asks:
'Do you feel depersonalized?'
'Does time go fast? '
'Do you feel hopeless?'

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article270876677.html#storylink=cpy

So according to the article, she identified him based on his eyebrows, height and build? Eyewitness identification is notoriously unreliable— is anyone else surprised they would use her description to help identify him? I guess it worked out since the DNA matched, but I can’t see them using this in court…..

In this case, it's not an essential bit of evidence, but it is confirmatory. If DM had said it was a 300 pound man, it would wreck the case. It is the *consistency* of her account with what an eyewitness can usually suss out that's important here.

If she had said the guy was a particular ethnicity that BK isn't, that would be exculpatory for BK and very much in play at trial. As it is, she can honestly admit that the man was disguised, but that what she saw was consistent with the appearance of the defendant.

Evidence is layers and layers. Hers is not a foundational layer, but it would be bad if her glimpse of the suspect said it was a woman or an older man, etc.

But wouldn't a 19 year old have called her parents when she couldn't get her roomies awake? I would think parents would be the first ones a 19 would call. I would also think parents would have told her to hang up and call 911, not her friends.

I know if my 19 year old child called and said she couldn't get her roommates awake my mind would have instantly jumped to an accident or an overdose (Alcohol or drugs). I would have told her to hang up and call 911.

I feel there has to be a reason she called friends over instead of calling parents or 911. Or maybe she did call her parents and they told her to call E's siblings, both U of I students). We don't know, I have never seen it stated one way or another in MSM or police statements if she called her parents or E, X or K's siblings. E&K siblings were U of I students, X's sibling was a WSU student. Maybe more on this will be released later.

But that is just me and my opinion. Pure speculation on my part.

JMO
i wouldn't have called my parents, my Dad was a cop and my mother a she-devil.
It's possible she didn't enjoy a strong bond with them or that they lived far away?

So according to the article, she identified him based on his eyebrows, height and build? Eyewitness identification is notoriously unreliable— is anyone else surprised they would use her description to help identify him? I guess it worked out since the DNA matched, but I can’t see them using this in court…..
It can be used to exclude or limit any speculation the defense might try and suggest to jury as to alternate perps. But it would be ripped to shreds as a positive IS of the accused. Of more objective value would be establishment of timeline the prosecution will offer, as well as to prosecution theories as to stages of his movement thought the home

It can be used to exclude or limit any speculation the defense might try and suggest to jury as to alternate perps. But it would be ripped to shreds as a positive IS of the accused. Of more objective value would be establishment of timeline the prosecution will offer, as well as to prosecution theories as to stages of his movement thought the home

I don't believe the prosecution would use this information in the trial. If I were the defense I would bring a couple guys into court dressed in black with masks and bushy eyebrows and ask? Is one of these men the defendant?

Of course she would not be able to ID the defendant

It would be so foolish: kinda like having OJ try on the glove

I find it quite telling there’s been zero mention of him ever having a romantic relationship, no mention of a prom date even. I mean sheesh, even dahmer had a prom date.
He isn’t a bad looking guy, physically hes quite attractive. 6 ft, slim, nice hair. I can only think … he didn’t really want one?
Maybe he gives off vibes of his potential for violence in person.

She did not 'identify' BK. She desribed to the police the characteristics of the person she saw that night when she was interviewed after the crime. The bushy eyebrows description was in the PCA. Everyone else, LE, etc are the ones making the connection.

It wasn't really and ID, it was descriptors that gave them a general reference of suspect build. They could discount someone as a suspect if they were 5'2" and 250lb.

i wouldn't have called my parents, my Dad was a cop and my mother a she-devil.
It's possible she didn't enjoy a strong bond with them or that they lived far away?

I don't know where DM's parents lived, but I assume NOT in Moscow, as she was living in a rental and the town is so small.

Like you, I would not have called my parents - they were 400 miles away. I would have wanted insta-support and that would come from people closer (geographically).

If I were living closer to my parents, I still wouldn't have called them first. My kids are the same way (sometimes to my horror) but my best friend (whose kid is the same way) explained to me that I needed to remember what it's like to be in one's 20's or 30's and trying to establish an independent life.

Our kids do not want to upset us (so I typically find out the scary bits a couple of months or years after they happen). Your mom was a She-Devil, mine was a Nervous Nelly (her own words, my dad's words).

Your situation is by no means unique. There's continual training around this issue in many, but not all, PD's.

I agree that I would not have called police over seeing a man wandering in the halls where I lived at university (and it was not a party house). We hesitate to call police for many reasons. If we hear loud bangs that sound like gunshots, we do not call even the business line any more, although I think we would if we thought the shooter was directly in front of our house. We note the time, wait to hear sirens, figuring someone closer to the point of the bang will call. No one ever calls. Both guns and fireworks are illegal, of course, but no one calls it in.

We had a series of break-ins to our house, 15 years ago now. LE did come and told us to put up a better fence and get cameras. There were footprints and a witness to one of the events, but LE was not interested in anything but camera footage (and we had footage, but our recorder had been reset to the wrong time by the criminal turning off our main breaker so as to be undetected by the house cameras). So we knew who it was, and that was frustrating and, well, traumatic - as was your experience.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>
Here guns are legal everywhere. We have open carry. Fireworks are illegal in city limits. It is illegal to shoot off a gun in city limits though. Most people think it is a car backfiring if they hear a loud bang. More than one, then it's gunfire and usually called in. Unless it is New Years Eve where everyone shoots off guns at midnight.

One point, there is a very different sound between fireworks and gunfire, for those of us who have been around both most of our lives, it is easy to tell the difference. Gunfire and a car backfiring, not so much.

JMO

There's a gag order, as we all know already.
They can't speak, at risk of sanction from the court ( & presumably disciplinary from LE)

So here's NYP today, claiming it's relying on an 'Idaho lawman source'

Lawman source claims:
- Cops are still “puzzled” about why a surviving roommate in the University of Idaho quadruple murder waited eight hours after the slaughter to call police, an Idaho law enforcement source told The Post.
-Law enforcement is also currently coming up empty in their search for connections between the six students and the accused killer

2 huge photos of DM at Post link
It's just awful how those online SM sleuths are bandying her name around....... ;)

Last edited:
I wouldn't have called my parents. They're not there, they'll just freak out over stuff they can't actually do anything about, and if I start trying to explain all the late night antics, I'm either going to have to edit out a lot or I'll be on the phone till dinnertime getting the third degree. I'd call my friends who are right there and who will get the situation without me having to convey what's "normal" before I can even start explaining what not normal thing has happened.

I have been thinking about where X was. Her and E had to be inside her bedroom with the door closed. When DM woke up I am assuming like everyone else she made a trip to the bathroom. The bathroom door was right beside the door to X's bedroom. She would have had to step over X to get in the bathroom if X was in the hallway. No way she did not notice X on the floor and all the blood if X was in the hallway or if the door to X's bedroom was open.

I too am puzzled why DM did not call 911 when she saw BK. But then it was a party house with people coming and going at all hours.

I also am puzzled why she called friends the next day after she awakened instead of calling 911. But maybe X's door was locked so she just knocked to ask about the crying and the man she saw coming from X's room the night before and got no response. Maybe she knocked several times loud enough it should have awakened the occupants. That could have been the point where she began thinking they were unconscious. But wondering why she didn't go upstairs to try to rouse M&K? Maybe she did and their door was also closed and locked and she got no response. That could have been the point where she started thinking about calling someone (perhaps E's brother or sister or K's brother, all U of I students or X's sister a WSU student.)

A question I have is did she first call her parents and tell them she couldn't get her roommates awake? Wouldn't parents have surely advised her to call 911, not friends? Of course we have no way of knowing exactly who she called except MSM stating she called friends who came over, then called 911.

Just wonderin'

JMO

I also wonder if the roomates had a house rule of "don't go in anyone's bedrooms uninvited, ever."

(This could mean the doors were closed, which the PCA doesn't say that. But then the PCA was written by the LE that got there after the first LE got there, they may have opened the doors.)

But something made the roomates call 911.

JMO- I do believe the surviving roomates couldn't talk on the phone so the visiting friends took over and that's where the "unconscious person" story started.
I worked for many years as an Exec. Director for an outdoor venue. I had to call 911 several times a year for various things, break-ins, dk people, thefts, threats, etc. There were a LOT of times when what I had told dispatch on the phone and what the responding Officers THOUGHT the situation was were completley mismatched. I blame it on me not being calm and clear on the phone calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx