ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 60

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing could have fixed this murderer, except his own realization that he desperately needed help. And then, he would have had to find that help, which is not easy, as there are no easy "cures" for this type of person.

ALL JMO.
RSBM
Just to take this a step further and/or spell it out: it wouldn't be easy to find that help because once the help is found, he'd have to stick to a certain lifestyle. IMHO he'd have to avoid anything that might trigger his interest in this type of crime, kind of the way somebody with an addiction to some substance should avoid the substance and any old friends who are still using etc.

As you say, there is no easy cure, but that cure would involve keeping on the straight and narrow day after day avoiding anything - including criminology - that might pull him back into a frame of mind that wanted to experiment and see what murdering felt like. MOO JMO

I'm not excusing him btw at all.

Evidently, doctoral students need University permission for extra employment- perhaps to keep the student focused on teaching / assistant / research duties? In either case, the requirement might of led to BK not advertising the moonlighting.

Such a possibility could then support a scenario where BK either provides a ride home, or makes a food delivery and notes say, one female occupant in particular. He then gets obsessed?
Just a note that the "extra employment" policies at many institutions are usually not monitored, at least in my experience, as most PhD students and candidates work extra jobs to make ends meet. I worked extra jobs during my entire PhD in addition to working as a TA (so did most of my peers). It's common for PhD students to Uber or deliver food for extra income. FWIW, this rule is different (or rather, more strictly enforced) for international students. Based on my experience, I also don't think he would have hidden his extra work from peers or friends, as this is something graduate students are vocal about with each other, either to share opportunities or to vent about the need to pay the bills. Unless, of course, he was using Uber / DoorDash as an opportunity to look for potential victims.

If BK delivered for DoorDash, or drove for Uber, I suspect that will come out very soon (Uber, for example, would likely want to make a statement as soon as possible).

not necessarily because he could have put it in his pocket before he started, wherever he started and it fell ou because he had to lean over one victim to reach another.
We don't know whether there was blood on it or not.
It does look as though he carefully cleaned it of his own DNA before he started, and did a good job on that except for the button snap.. that might suggest he left it deliberately.
Like a calling card..
Why would he have cleaned it so thoroughly unless he'd planned on leaving it?
I wonder if any other killers ever did that?
Did he want fame as the sheath killer?
Off to Google.. will revert if I find anything.
I agree, he meant to leave it. Possibly the knife used wasn't a k bar..

Do they actually pay TA’s that much?
PhD stipends are not paid hourly and they range from as low as 14k (for 9 - 12 month appointments) to 30k (this upper limit is usually unique to Ivy league institutions or institutions in high cost of living cities). They median is probably somewhere in the 18-20k range. PhD students almost always receive tutition waivers (meaning they don't have to pay tuition), but some have to pay fees (anywhere from 1-3k a semester). Here's more info on WSU.

Stipends are usually low enough that students seek extra work to make ends meet. I did, anyway.

Equating boxing skills to stabbing someone in the chest is a stretch. Throwing a punch is a completely different movement. Doesn't even involve the same muscle groups. Not remotely close. Stabbing someone to death would require very little skill, IMO. Some strength, coordination, and determination would get it done. MOO, but supported by a Black Belt and knife fight training.
I wonder why he chose a knife, personal and very messy. And chance of cutting yourself. Why not a gun with silencer? Or strangulation if most were asleep? Just curious

Just as TOS do not allow us to sleuth persons not named as suspects or persons of interest in a case, nor family members, who are considered victims, likewise, TOS bar us from sleuthing other members. Whether that poster knew something or was just a troll, we will never know, but I know what my guess would be. JMO
That really annoyed me.
cheek of him using this site, which is clean, to further his garbage.

If it's under someone on the bed that's bleeding how would it not have blood in it?
From the AA - pg 3/19:

As I entered this bedroom, I could see two females in the single bed in the room. Both Goncalves and Mogen were deceased with visible stab wounds. I also later noticed what appered to be a tan leather knife sheath laying on the bed next to Mogen's right side (when viewed from the door).

This should be a message to his son.

Alleged murderer.

It is him who brought this infamy to his own family and family home.

And unspeakable hearthache to other families.

JMO

It may be a message to the son but I'm not certain that his family deserves what they are going through. I'm sure he gave his parents no reason to believe that he had or would ever kill 4 people nor did they ever expect their lives to be destroyed by one of their own children.

They know the victim's families did not deserve the anguish they are dealing with but the victim's families have been afforded some respect and dignity that these people will not have. They have been scrutinized, humiliated and publicly scorned for something they seemingly didn't do.

I see no reason that their lives have any less value than any one of the other families and if we have any doubt about that, we should take a minute and review K's family's last interview. I believe SG clearly stated that while he believes their son should get the death penalty, they are victims of ugly circumstances too and in some ways, they have also lost their child.

When I was young, one of my high school friends was the son of a prominent jeweler in town. One day, he was cut off from all the money and jewelry and I remember how angrily he talked about it to all of us (his friends). That night, he went home and murdered his father and sister, and attempted to murder his mother. Being a friend of a murderer has haunted me throughout my life. I absolutely cannot imagine what the family is going through as they assess what they believe to be true and false in their newly shattered world.
Unfortunately I was also friends with a murderer and you’re absolutely right.

I agree, he meant to leave it. Possibly the knife used wasn't a k bar..
It's possible. I bought a Ka-Bar sheath to use with my Ontario 498 knife. The Ontario is very similar to the Ka-Bar but the handle is a bit bigger which makes it impossible to use the snap closure. Here's my Ontario 498.

1673304303061.png

I don't think that what that person is wearing tells us much. Even if it is some sort of military or military style clothing that doesn't mean anything. Most people in the military receive no knife fighting training. And there are probably far more Ka-bar USMC knives owned by civilians than by veterans.
Yes, good point. I was looking at it as a possible source of where and perhaps BK may have received a K-Bar. For instance if the person who is in the photo (maybe military) may have given it to him. Long stretch probably.

IMO, if the sheath had no blood in it, then he started where it was left.
The PCA doesn’t say it doesn’t have blood on it. It just days they found BK DNA on the snap. It could have blood on it from victims as well. It’s important to note what is not said as much as what is said.

I do agree that he likely started there though. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member