ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 60

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two of my children went to professional schools across the country. They would fly home mostly and pretty much didn't come home for summer because they rented their apartments year-round and found summer jobs at school. However, when they did drive, they would talk to their friends, colleagues, and peers to find people that needed a ride for help with gas and/or driving. I think a cross-country trip with my child would be great, but I would prefer a leisurely trip with some planned stops along the way. I think my kids would prefer a trip with their friends.

Kudos to Bryan's dad for being there for his son.

If BK maintains the KA-BAR knife was stolen, does this become a circumstantial case? Yes, his car has been caught in the area on several occasions, but he might find some way to explain that away. Perhaps he could say he left his phone in the car (hence the tracking) and the knife in the car, and someone kept "borrowing" the car. I am wondering if there is any other DNA evidence that would tie him to the crime scene ...
These are the same things I am worried about also. I'm interested in what you guys think.

I hear you with regard to the lack of energy. Long day sometimes. The location of the 4:04 camera would tell us if the DD delivery (accepting the 4am purported delivery time) could have been seen by BK or not.

I personally don't think it would have mattered to him but it might have. If he knew the odds were someone was awake it could have upped the anti so-to-speak..increased the thrill perhaps.

jmo

I'm of the "at that point nothing mattered" to BK opinion (but either hypothesis or some other could be right).

I think he planned for that particular weekend for some reason (Veterans Day could be enough, given his Pappa Rodger persona - if we buy that one). Even at the level of leaving a trail, this guy likes dancing around, being evasive and throwing punches. Time-honored tactics, really.

So we come done to how this person decided that it would be a sleeping houseful of innocents that he attacked. Will we uncover poems, messages, etc that show that he deeply hated women or college students or whatever category he put them in?

Part of me thinks he has already put his general ideas out there, and that it will be pieced together - eventually.

I don't know why I thought of this from your post but that "thud" that was heard by D, could it be X's door being kicked open with a kickbox move.
Regarding the neighbor’s cam picking up the thud sound, I’m confused. My cams are motion activated. I don't believe they record sounds unless there’s associated movement.

Am I wrong? Do they record sound only?

Could you state those again? Do you mean the criminal mastermind theme vs the nincompoop theme?

Are you speaking of my own posts or your own posts or everyone's posts? I'm confused.
Which themes have you described?

Your last part seems to mean "Websleuths in general." Dominant narrative of the week. I don't feel as if most WSers have dipped into "dominant narrative of the week." Surely, some have. I don't feel that I have. I don't have "narratives of the week." Do you?
It wasn't a personal comment.
It's inevitable that as new information drops that we all adjust our take, new themes develop.
dominant narrative is just a shorthand for that, it wasn't intended as a pejorative

yes, me personally, I have thought, at some points wtte ' Ah! I've got it' momentarily and then it slips out of my grasp as another dollop of new info is revealed.

last few days alone - the PCA, the tapatalks.

Very helpful thoughts, Emerald15. He absolutely lacked the necessary critical thinking skills.

He made so many blunders that I have periodically wondered if he unconsciously wanted to get caught.

But, I think it's more as you said, he simply lacked the necessary critical thinking skills to carefully plan for many basic things related to how he conducted thi
This was discussed at length in other threads. Half the forum agreed with the above. The other half could see it. My takeaway: every family is different and while it may seem unusual to some, it seems perfectly ordinary to others. For that reason, I don't think it's relevant to the crime. JMO.
May have convinced his parents to sell the car in Pennsylvania, but then registering the car in Washington makes no sense. We are trying to make sense of lunacy and irrational behavior.

The only thing that gets me about the order is K's dad said "They didn't have to go up" in an interview. He was referring to whomever the killer was. So what made him assume that? Is that just something he threw out there or did he get an indication from LE that the target individual was not M or K? Still makes me think it could be any number of ways at this point

I interpreted that line exactly the opposite. IMO, he was saying that M and K must have been the targets (or one of them anyway) because the guy didn't have to go upstairs if X and E were the targets. BK entered the home on either the 1st or 2nd floor, so what Kaylee's dad makes sense. Why go up to the 3rd floor if there are people to kill on both floors 1 and 2, unless your true target is up on floor 3.

MOO

WSU offers tuition remission for PhD students, it sounds like (more here, which I posted earlier in the thread). Based on BK's TA job, it's likely (per the information on the website) that he would have qualified for tuition remission (i.e., tuition would have been paid for by the university / his department). Some students still must pay fees (1-3k), but tuition is covered, and health insurance is usually provided as long as students are employed by the university.

FWIW, despite stipends below the poverty wage at many, many PhD granting institutions, it is fairly standard for programs to pay tuition as long as students are supported through a TA, GA, or RA position. This was my experience during my PhD as well, even though I had to work additional jobs to pay all my bills.

It does. Half-remittance for TA's in good standing (if 10 hours a week). Full remittance at 20 hours of TA'ing a week.

But it does not say that every incoming person into the Ph.D. program is given that number of hours.

However, your source makes it clear that BK needed to change his license plates (etc) and had one year to do so, in order to keep his "remittance."

When a person gets to candidacy, they do get a complete tuition waiver. But that's 3 years away and BK needed a certain GPA to get the 50% waiver to come back in Spring. First year doctoral students don't usually get the 20 hours a week of TA-ing. They're competing for that.

So his experience at end of semester (with the prof pretty much having to use student organizers to confront him) indicated to him that he might not even get the 50% waiver.

Could be a part of the motive - grad student murderers often have something like that in their "dossier."

I don't see that all tuition was paid in the first year, is my point, and no guarantee of it until advanced to candidacy (ABD status, as we've discussed before)

The only thing that gets me about the order is K's dad said "They didn't have to go up" in an interview. He was referring to whomever the killer was. So what made him assume that? Is that just something he threw out there or did he get an indication from LE that the target individual was not M or K? Still makes me think it could be any number of ways at this point
You know, after pondering his comment, I've came to this as a parent:

"They didn't have to go up there. They didn't HAVE to kill my baby and her best friend."

JMO

May have convinced his parents to sell the car in Pennsylvania, but then registering the car in Washington makes no sense. We are trying to make sense of lunacy and irrational behavior.

He wanted in-state tuition (a requirement of him keeping his job and tuition discount - which @R3d-, above, just pointed out - makes perfect sense.

He was required to pursue instate residency requirements (reregister and paying of car taxes is almost always required) in order to retain any tuition discounts he might have had. All grad students worry about such things, but an out of state student worries more.

Regarding the neighbor’s cam picking up the thud sound, I’m confused. My cams are motion activated. I don't believe they record sounds unless there’s associated movement.

Am I wrong? Do they record sound only?

I sometimes get a video of my empty yard alive with the sound of birds chirping, but not bird in sight

Well-said. I don't think it's relevant to the crime either, but I've been interested in the wide variety of reactions to this. Some parents will drop everything to have time with their adult child and would volunteer to fly out and help their adult child drive across the country. Other parents cannot begin to imagine doing this and to them it makes more sense for their adult child to fly home and/or drive themselves.

Some of this could be determined by whether parents are working full-time or retired, or whether the family spends a lot of time driving on road trips. But, either way is fine and I don't believe this is related to the crime. IMO
So I live more southeast and know a ton of LDS kids who go out west for college (Utah and Idaho). And of those who take a car, it’s very common for the parents to fly out and drive with them. Also with the major airport being so far away, it’s hard to leave a car behind since you really can’t Uber there and it’s not great to leave a car at the airport for a month or so, so many opt to just drive home and have their cars while home. Just my experience on the matter. Definitely agree it’s not related to the crime, but just a dad being a dad to his youngest child.
A bad neighbor who gave a reporter permission to “visit”?

I kind of wonder if his actions post-murders really can't be compared to his actions pre-murders, because in the planning stage, he might have thought he'd never get caught, but afterwards he knew he'd made mistakes. Big mistakes. Like leaving behind the sheath and getting caught on camera mistakes. It had to alter the way he behaved in the latter. Jmo.

So I live more southeast and know a ton of LDS kids who go out west for college (Utah and Idaho). And of those who take a car, it’s very common for the parents to fly out and drive with them. Also with the major airport being so far away, it’s hard to leave a car behind since you really can’t Uber there and it’s not great to leave a car at the airport for a month or so, so many opt to just drive home and have their cars while home. Just my experience on the matter. Definitely agree it’s not related to the crime, but just a dad being a dad to his youngest child.

A bad neighbor who gave a reporter permission to “visit”?
Money talks

I'm having a real problem justifying the cost of flying across country to Washington State to help your son drive home 2600 miles away. Certainly, a couple nights of lodging would be much cheaper than someone flying across country to help someone drive non-stop home. Doesn't make sense to me any way I can try to make it make sense, know what I mean?
I think this is just a matter of perspective. This doesn’t seem odd to me, and I don’t think we have any idea how it came about. That said, my mom would have done that in a heartbeat for us, and we would have had a blast doing it. I would absolutely do it for my kid if they wanted. It’s different for everyone, but for me it (unlike pretty much everything else in this case) doesn’t raise any red flags.

He wanted in-state tuition (a requirement of him keeping his job and tuition discount - which @R3d-, above, just pointed out - makes perfect sense.

He was required to pursue instate residency requirements (reregister and paying of car taxes is almost always required) in order to retain any tuition discounts he might have had. All grad students worry about such things, but an out of state student worries more.
why did he even need a car?

I interpreted that line exactly the opposite. IMO, he was saying that M and K must have been the targets (or one of them anyway) because the guy didn't have to go upstairs if X and E were the targets. BK entered the home on either the 1st or 2nd floor, so what Kaylee's dad makes sense. Why go up to the 3rd floor if there are people to kill on both floors 1 and 2, unless your true target is up on floor 3.

MOO

At first reading, I interpreted SG’s wording as a cry of denial. :( “Why did my daughter die? He didn’t HAVE to go upstairs!” But now I have no idea.

It wasn't a personal comment.
It's inevitable that as new information drops that we all adjust our take, new themes develop.
dominant narrative is just a shorthand for that, it wasn't intended as a pejorative

yes, me personally, I have thought, at some points wtte ' Ah! I've got it' momentarily and then it slips out of my grasp as another dollop of new info is revealed.

last few days alone - the PCA, the tapatalks.

Okay, I think I get you.

I can't see the term "dominant narrative" as anything other than perjorative in this case, at this point in time. So we can agree to disagree.
lories (not narratives) from the beginning. I guess I should go out on a limb more and give myself the "ah ha!" moment, but that led to serious disappointment in the past - particularly in the Morphew case.

The TapATalk stuff has not yet been digested by me, but I am of the view that it's BK. Lots of questions there.

I think maybe you and I are moving on to questions about motivation - which may never be answered, but you are right, in that regard, I can't settle down to any one theory - but I'm not sure I feel the need to do so.

It's making me think a lot about BK's life experiences, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevewho