ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 62

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Idaho murders: Veteran defense attorney lays out case Bryan Kohberger team could make, 'holes' in affidavit

Yeretsian, whose past clients include Scott Peterson and Michael Jackson, said reliance on cell-site data could be a flaw, if prosecutors do not have something more tangible linking the suspect to the crime scene.

"To me, that's never enough because you could be 10 miles away, 15 miles away even, sometimes, depending on the radius it covers," she said.

Yeretsian pointed to page 15 of the affidavit, which notes that Kohberger's phone pinged a cell tower in Moscow but then says that police do not believe he actually entered the city on that date.

"So you're telling me in an affidavit that that's not reliable?" she said. "How could a judge rely on this information?"

If prosecutors can prove Kohberger's phone registered on the victims' Wi-Fi router, that would place him much closer to the scene. Even so, due to the short distance between his home and theirs, proximity alone does not prove the allegations.

"What if he had a friend in the area he was going to visit?" she asked. "There may have been a very innocent reason for why he may have been in the area. I don’t know. You don’t know. For us, that’s not enough."

As for the "Vans type" footprint found inside the house, that is a common shoe, she noted. Readers even flagged that bodycam video showing a woman answering the door wearing what look like Vans sneakers when police showed up at the King Road home six weeks before the murders in response to a noise complaint.

I’ve really been intrigued by how attorneys organize their thoughts based on whether they are representing the defendant or prosecution. This is a great example of what the defense is going to look at.

In court, BK is innocent and the state has to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt on every count. So, the defense is looking for weaknesses in the argument and sloppiness in the collection of evidence.

The Moscow Police Department asked other authorities to be on the lookout for the car on Nov. 25; within days, a pair of sharp-eyed WSU officers flagged the model registered to Kohberger, thus placing the Pennsylvania native at the center of the fledgling investigation.

“Once they identified the car, it was a domino effect,” Yahmetz argued, noting that Kohberger’s driver’s license description matched that of the male suspect seen by surviving housemate Dylan Mortensen.

IMO. Defense attorneys are not awful or disrespectful. “Creating” reasonable doubt is misleading- creating reasonable doubt is not anything other than shining a light on the facts in regards to a firm understanding of the law- hence highlighting that if it’s possible at all whatsoever that the way the prosecution says it happened, that it COULD not have happened (example: only speaking to evidence in PCA which I’m sure more evidence will be presented at trial- but as of right now the only dna being on an item that was brought to scene, could have been handled by another individual). The defense does not bear the burden of proof. They don’t have to prove what happened or who did it. They only have to prove that it is POSSIBLE that they did not. And if it was your son brother father husband who stood accused and there was reasonable doubt you’d hope for a defense attorney that could properly represent that.
My point was, the defense does not have much in the way of a defense...seems to me they are grasping at straws, as they sometimes do. Yes I know about burden of proof, but that was not what I was talking about, I was referring to some defense attorneys tactics/style in the court room. Again my comment was not about burden of proof, I think you misunderstood my comment.

There have been multiple posts, and links, about this. A patient’s name is considered PHI— I don’t think most people realize it. Not to mention the receptionist’s statement to the press is highly unprofessional. IMO.

Interesting that she didn’t want to mention her own name to protect herself, but thought nothing of sharing his name!

This is in no way a defense of BK or anything he may have done, just basic rights as a patient.
MOO the receptionist was overwhelmed by the fact she had actually interacted with the murderer.
This was a case that had students not returning to school for fear of being murdered. She was definitely unprofessional. All
that fear makes people talkative.

I’ve really been intrigued by how attorneys organize their thoughts based on whether they are representing the defendant or prosecution. This is a great example of what the defense is going to look at.

In court, BK is innocent and the state has to prove guilt beyond reasonable doubt on every count. So, the defense is looking for weaknesses in the argument and sloppiness in the collection of evidence.
As always.

If he scheduled the appointment ahead of time, my guess would be to have a record of NOT having any injuries to his hands elsewhere. IMO, maybe he was planning to kill quickly and decisively--giving no victim a chance to right back--but he knew a lack of injuries would work in his favor later.

All JMOO

Has anyone else noticed how red his hands and forearms are in these pictures? I thought maybe it was from being cuffed, but it also goes above the wrist. Almost as if he was reacting to a latex allergy from gloves, or had been obsessively scrubbing and washing his hands/arms.

Kaylee Goncalves' sister breaks silence after Bryan Kohberger arrest—Video

Bryan Kohberger devoted his life to studying crime. Now, the tables have turned

My name is called all the time in front of waiting rooms full of people, par for the course. No HIPAA violation because my medical condition is not revealed to this room full of strangers.

Inmate's names are mentioned all the time in Court Motions when a jail asks the court if they can take them to the dentist or any number of medical places near the jail. It is public knowledge and doesn't disclose their medical condition just because their name is mentioned. No HIPAA violations from disclosing their names and that they are going to a dentist, hospital, Dr apt., lab, etc...A HIPAA violation discloses personal medical information. BK's personal medical information wasn't disclosed.

If the receptionist said BK went for an injury to his shoulder that would violate HIPAA, that would be his personal medical information.

The receptionist is a blabber mouth talking to the media, making her untrustworthy. But saying she violated HIPAA is a stretch.

“Idaho murders suspect Bryan Kohberger attended a routine medical appointment in the days after the killings and 'charmed' staff by being 'chatty”

I could be wrong, but just divulging that he had a medical appointment to the media was a violation of HIPAA, in my very humble opinion.

Are there any HIPAA experts in the house? LOL.

IMO, remember that a fight or disagreement may have occurred at the frat house before the murders.
MOO, If there had been a previous encounter between one of the victims and the defendant I feel it would’ve been blasted over social media as soon as BK was arrested. Friends of theirs would immediately be saying that’s the guy who he got in a fight with, that’s the guy that she said no to or whatever the situation would have been. I firmly believe SM would have exploded with this type of discussion.

Defense attorneys are not all awful and disrespectful. They are a very important part of our justice system. The idea that a defense attorney would claim a victim in this case is the real killer is preposterous in my opinion.

JMO.
Yes, thank you, you seem to have misunderstood, I am talking about some defense attorneys aggressive styles in the court room, and I did not state they are all that way. I never stated that they were not important. I am referring to some attorney's style.

From link.

The DNA found on a knife sheath that police recovered from the crime scene is not "narrow enough," she said, and police have not publicly revealed a potential motive.

Not narrow enough?

Motive?

I don’t need a motive if the evidence puts him there. I don’t need a motive as juror to convict.

Jmo
I think the issue I am having is that yes they have DNA on the sheath but that wasn’t the object that killed the victims. So whilst they can link him to the crime scene, I think they need something more solid - i.e the knife with BK’s DNA on. That would be game set match. IMO.

MOO, If there had been a previous encounter between one of the victims and the defendant I feel it would’ve been blasted over social media as soon as BK was arrested. Friends of theirs would immediately be saying that’s the guy who he got in a fight with, that’s the guy that she said no to or whatever the situation would have been. I firmly believe SM would have exploded with this type of discussion.
Unless they didn't know they were interacting with him. There is a lot of the catfishing type of thing happening on social media, so I've been told.

I have seen defense attorneys rip the victims apart and come up with outlandish defenses, all the while trashing the dead victims. This is especially true in high profile cases. Look what Jose Baez did to Casey Anthony's father-- some people really believe he either killed Caylee or was involved in her death. And this was with not one scintilla of evidence. It was a merciless, cruel and vile defense to save his defendant- and worst of all IT WORKED.
Exactly! And if I'm remembering correctly, I believe Bill O'Reilly tried to file complaints against the lawyers who defended the murderer of Polly Klaas. I believe that was the case where it happened. I remember him claiming the lawyers made accusations against the victim's Dad after they already knew their client killed the child and where her body was. That doesn't mean that his lawyer will do something like that. She seems to have a fine reputation. But there are reprehensible people in all walks of life.

Re the second point , I still believe what I said when this incident first made the news. The Professor's approach was totally unprofessional.
If a new TA is grading work & there are complaints - the work should be automatically referred for reassessment (by others) and ofc the TA should be trained properly in the first place.
When BK replied to a student wtte of I am assessing your work at a higher standard, seems to me that BK hadn't been trained to assess.

I don't think they would have let him go tbh but it 's a pity we never got a date for this incident. Nothing specific beyond around the time of the murders
I completely agree about the bizarre intervention.
I don't think we are blaming the professor for the murders when we note this strange group criticism could have extremely humiliatingly to someone with ego issues. It could have been perceived by the accused as organized bullying and been part or even the main thing that send him spinning down. I was a TA in two years of grad school and even in very large (75 to 125 undergrads) classes with many TAs I never even heard of anything like that.

I think the issue I am having is that yes they have DNA on the sheath but that wasn’t the object that killed the victims. So whilst they can link him to the crime scene, I think they need something more solid - i.e the knife with BK’s DNA on. That would be game set match. IMO.
MOO Unless evidence is supressed, it’s game set match now.

My point was, the defense does not have much in the way of a defense...seems to me they are grasping at straws, as they sometimes do. Yes I know about burden of proof, but that was not what I was talking about, I was referring to some defense attorneys tactics/style in the court room. Again my comment was not about burden of proof, I think you misunderstood my comment.
Edited to add: If you go back to the post I was responding to about "awful and disrespect" I think you will get the full context of my comment, I was replying to someone's comment.

IMO, you could always watch “Looking for Mr.Goodbar”. Beware the ending. It’s one of the scariest endings of a movie. Ever.
Wow - how did I not know about this vintage movie before ? Looked it up on wiki and trailer is interesting (has my fav 70s music too). I was going to ask you if your reference here was to the first guy (drug user) or second guy ( wont consummate traditionally) then read fully and saw about the third guy (murders her when he cant perform). Terrifying indeed :<

So if I call out a name in the waiting room, Am I violating the law?
You aren’t unless you are someone who works with the patient in a professional capacity.

As a home visiting nurse, I saw families once a week for years and still if I saw them in public I wouldn’t acknowledge them unless they approached me. I never told the people I was with who they were, just introduced as friends.

The way HIPAA works is that even medical professionals can’t talk about patients with each other unless it’s pertinent to the patient’s health. An orthopedic nurse wouldn’t have any reason to talk to an OB nurse about possible mental health problems, but would have reason to discuss how to help a new mom ambulate with a broken leg, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx